• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom teasing Dragon's Dogma? [Update: Teaser Pictures/Screenshots]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
Syril said:
The story and cast aren't what make that game feel dated. It's stuff like the text boxes that only show 10 words at a time, or the slow text speed, or the middling translation effort, or the excessively long attack animations, or how you have to wait like 3 seconds to see if your Flee attempt was successful.
Yup.
bubnbob said:
Agree on it being tedious, but only up to when you become an adult.
For the most part. Except then you have to go through the desert which is dumb and boring and and and.

In the end, BoF3 is one of those games I wish I'd let sit in my mind as something I loved. Just drowning in nostalgia. But, nooo, I had to go and play it again. ):

CO_Andy

Capcom's an opportunist, and knows when the market is ripe for a revival, given the JRPG console competition is stiff and barren.

Do it, Capcom.

Dascu

CO_Andy said:
Capcom's an opportunist, and knows when the market is ripe for a revival, given the JRPG console competition is stiff and barren.

Do it, Capcom.
Your avatar makes me weep. We'll never get another Haunting Ground/Clock Tower-esque horror game out of Capcom. Never.

Yuterald

Syril said:
The story and cast aren't what make that game feel dated. It's stuff like the text boxes that only show 10 words at a time, or the slow text speed, or the middling translation effort, or the excessively long attack animations, or how you have to wait like 3 seconds to see if your Flee attempt was successful.

Yeah, I do remember a lot of the text boxes not having punctuation either. Both BoF III & IV felt like they were just BARELY translated. Fuck, the credits I believe in BoFIV were completely untranslated, lol! When you were younger you didn't notice this shit though. I get that they are dated in that sort of way, but both PSone BoF games definitely have the basics & fundamentals down pat, and that's what's still important.

Xelinis

The picture got updated. The dragon's outline is now fully visible, as is its beating heart.

Also, if you look carefully at the outline, you can just barely see a rotating view of what may be one of the game's areas.

Syril

Xelinis said:
The picture got updated. The dragon's outline is now fully visible, as is its beating heart.

Also, if you look carefully at the outline, you can just barely see a rotating view of what may be one of the game's areas.

Well, it's got green and blue. It's promising, at least.

Xelinis

Syril said:
Well, it's got green and blue. It's promising, at least.

I'm definitely seeing a blue sky, trees, distant mountains, yaddiyaddiyada. What little I'm seeing reminds me of the world overlay from Dragon Quest VIII.

SmithnCo

Hmm... in the swf for this one, there looks like there might be actual environment renders from the game maybe? EDIT:

BP06e.png

7iZNn.png

Don't know for sure if these are from the game of course but they look like they could be. Might give an idea of how the game will look. There were some more in there but it was more generic shots of dirt paths and trees.

^ Oh wow that is not how I expected the game to look.. at all. If it's truly open world then hype +1.

Syril said:

Yep, agreed. Also, high encounter rate. That is my #1 complaint. I loved BoF3 and 4 and I played them back in the day, but I can't play them for more than 20mins now. The game practically discourages you to explore because of the stupid high encounter rate. This wouldn't be a problem if the battles resolved quickly or if the enemies were visible.

Kandinsky

Phantast2k said:
It's not an RPG, it's rather an action game. It's open world & powered by the frostbite engine. You'll fight as a customizable character in a party with KI chars (like that Level 5 ps3 rpg). You can sort of breed them and trade them online (like pokemans) too. There's also loot.
It's looks like Demon's Souls (epic dragons and other monsters), but it's more of an action-adventure, rather than an RPG.
I'm contemplating whether or not to post some pics, but this would be too much of a leak, so fuck it :p
My kind of game, sounds perfect! :O

ezekial45

Banned
Interesting. Sorry to see that it's not a BoF game. Then again, maybe they have something else in store for the series?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
SmithnCo said:
Your images are way better though, lol

Aww, thanks :)

If Capcom ever did decide to make a new BoF, I think a cel-shaded look a'la DQ8/Atelier Rorona would be cool.
Now get to it Capcom, and throw in a new Strider for good measure ;)

Kandinsky said:
My kind of game, sounds perfect! :O

Action oriented Demon's Soulseque game sounds awesome to me. If this is being developed internally at capcom then you know the combat system is going to be awesome :). I hope they don't slack off with the loot. I love me some loot.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It's an open world action game where you can create a character and breed it to trade online?? Sounds weird as hell...

I want more details. :p

Edit: Mostly I want to know who's making it.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Akselziys said:
If Capcom ever did decide to make a new BoF, I think a cel-shaded look a'la DQ8/Atelier Rorona would be cool.

It would definitely be the most natural look for a BoF game, that's for sure, and I think CAPCOM knows that as well. The design of the dragon doesn't look BoF:ish either, though IV certainly had it's share of strange looking dragons. After seeing those landscape images though, I'm quite certain DD isn't BoF VI. Or rather, I sincerily hope it's not.

Espada

That setting + open world has definitely caught my interest. That said, I knew it wasn't a BoF game. That series is as good as dead, no use getting my hopes up.

Syril

Wow, that's disappointing. Seriously, why do they think looking like your eyes are incapable of adjusting to sunlight looks appealing? NIER looks more vibrant than this, and that's a game that could be in a serious running for "bleakest setting in any game ever".

Yuterald

Don't know what to think about these screens, actually. Got to see and hear more about the game before I start becoming more interested.

wsippel

Banned
The images look like screenshots, but definitely not PS360 quality. Rather low polycount, no shaders, not much foliage, noticeable aliasing even at such a low resolution. Reminds me of MH3, especially the appearance of the trees and foliage.

antonz

wsippel said:
The images look like screenshots, but definitely not PS360 quality. Rather low polycount, no shaders, not much foliage, noticeable aliasing even at such a low resolution. Reminds me of MH3, especially the appearance of the trees and foliage.
Was gonna say the same. Visually its very MH3 like. Im guessing its just a lacking HD game though

antonz said:
Was gonna say the same. Visually its very MH3 like. Im guessing its just a lacking HD game though

Probably. Wii is dead to third parties, it still looks a bit too good for 3DS, and Sony is evidently not allowing anyone to reveal NGP games yet.

wsippel

Banned
Father_Brain said:
Probably. Wii is dead to third parties, it still looks a bit too good for 3DS, and Sony is evidently not allowing anyone to reveal NGP games yet.
Yeah, I don't think it's a Wii game either, and the polycount still looks too high for a 3DS title. I mostly wonder why there's visible aliasing at 523 x 333. Even if it was a really bland HD game, downscaled images wouldn't show aliasing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yeah I think I'll look forward to the next "surprise" (since Capcom said there will be two original titles that will "surprise" us).

Also, didn't Capcom mention they're going to reveal a project in collaboration with Level-5 this E3?

wsippel

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Also, didn't Capcom mention they're going to reveal a project in collaboration with Level-5 this E3?
Another one? Because technically, the Layton/ Phoenix crossover hasn't been revealed yet. We've only seen a teaser.

Twig

Banned
wsippel said:
Another one? Because technically, the Layton/ Phoenix crossover hasn't been revealed yet. We've only seen a teaser.
That's not a reveal?

"Hey guys, here's some proof we have of this game we're doing. Oh, but it's on the down-low. Don't tell anyone."

wsippel

Banned
Twig said:
That's not a reveal?

"Hey guys, here's some proof we have of this game we're doing. Oh, but it's on the down-low. Don't tell anyone."
I'd argue that a game hasn't been revealed until gameplay is shown. We know nothing about the game except for the fact that it exists. A teaser trailer is an announcement, not a reveal.

Gilgamesh

wsippel said:
Yeah, I don't think it's a Wii game either, and the polycount still looks too high for a 3DS title. I mostly wonder why there's visible aliasing at 523 x 333. Even if it was a really bland HD game, downscaled images wouldn't show aliasing.
NGP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom