• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom to PC gamers: Buy SSF4 Arcade Edition

Chavelo

UPDATE: CAPCOM TO RELEASE UPDATE AFTER LAUNCH WHICH WILL REMOVE THE CHARACTER RESTRICTION DRM

http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blog/2011/06/02/ssfiv:_ae_pc_%E2%80%93_drm:_we_had_it_wrong

Sven said:
Last week, when I put up a blog about all of the great new features and thoughtful PC-specific design considerations that were added to Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition PC, many folks ignored the goodness therein and zeroed in on the implementation of the offline mode and its limitations.

This in turn gave rise to threads on our boards and others, which in turn spawned stories at several web outlets lamenting our approach for protecting the content. To try and make this discussion more constructive, I engaged our fans in the Ask Capcom forum on how best to improve the situation.

The argument that legitimate users would have a worse experience than pirates was the loudest and most convincing. We certainly don’t want that to be the case and that was never our intention.

So we’ve heard you loud and clear and here’s what we’re going to do about it:

Shortly after launch (it might even be at launch, but we’ll see how submission timing and approval goes) we will roll out a small title update that will completely remove the character limitations for offline mode. That is to say, once you’ve updated, you will be able to use all 39 characters when not connected to the Internet to practice your combo timings, have some fun with a friend on a laptop, or whatever while offline.

As one would logically expect, to get any of the benefits of the online services (online multiplayer, replay sharing/watching, achievements, etc.) you must be online and logged in.

With that hurdle hopefully now cleared, I hope that we can make Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition the most successful fighting game ever on PC. I’d certainly like to continue to grow our audience on the largest platform in the world.

Thanks again for your passion, input and support.

Thanks for updating the title, mods!

/hadouken

ORIGINAL POST:

Sven answers questions about the PC version...

http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blog/2011/05/25/stuff_you_want_to_know_about_ssfiv:ae_for_pc

Sven said:
In order to create an identical level of services as we’ve provided on the console, we’ve selected Games for Windows Live as the online services layer within SSFIV:AE. So the replay channels, achievements, friends lists, messaging, etc. are exactly the same as they are on Xbox Live. Before it gets asked though, no there is no cross platform matching/play.

Now, on the security side of things, SFIV unfortunately was plagued by pirates and hackers that messed up leaderboards. To hopefully remedy that, SSFIV:AE will be making use of what is called SSA technology (similar to what we used in Dead Rising 2). Like Xbox Live, players will sign in when they launch the game. You must have a Games for Windows Live account (which is free) in order to get full access to the title. If you already have an Xbox Live silver or gold account, those would work too and your achievements would be added/displayed in your usual gamescore.

Inevitably the question is: if you happen to temporarily lose your connection in the middle of your session (let’s say you’re working on combos in the training room or working on challenges), no problem. You’ll be able to keep doing what you’re doing until you come to a logical break point, like exiting to a menu, at which point you’ll be asked to sign back in. Assuming your PC is back online, everything will continue as it should, just like on Xbox 360.

If you aren’t signed in to an online GFWL profile, the offline mode has limited functionality. Obviously there’s no online play, access to replay channels or other online-centric features (and this is the part that keeps the online play secure from hackers or pirates). Additionally, you won’t be able to save any progress in challenges or settings, won’t have access to any DLC you’ve purchased and all local play will be restricted to 15 of the 39 characters.

Blueblur1

That last part is pretty ridiculous. But if that's what they have to resort to so we get a PC release then so be it.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm confused. Why restrict offline play to 15 characters? Just to screw over pirates?

If so, wouldn't there eventually be a hack to unlock everyone anyway?

Chavelo

Blueblur1 said:
That last part is pretty ridiculous. But if that's what they have to resort to so we get a PC release then so be it.

Consumers: "Fine, Capcom. We'll deal with your bullshit... :-("
Pirates: *patches game* "AWWWWW YEAAAAAAH."

ಠ.ಠ

hamchan

Well that's pretty lame. Oh well, I guess people won't be using the PC version at tournaments or other places where they might not be easy internet access. Doesn't really affect me though and it's a compromise I can accept for a PC version.

zlatko

Banned
So no reason to get the PC version confirmed for me. I'll just spend the 20 for the DLC off Marketplace. How many microsoft bucks does that equal out to?

Volcynika

entrement said:
Has Capcom ever released their current games on Steam?

Uh, yeah? Most recent are Lost Planet 2 and Dead Rising 2, I think.

Also, for me, GFWL means "wait till it's very low in price."

Anony

fuck, what's the point of using GFWL talking about 'just like the xbox live experience' when you cant cross platform play
should have just made it steamcloud compatible, was that so hard to do

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wow. I'm convinced. Capcom wants to fuck itself over. Hope no one buys it. Either do PC right or don't bother.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
"Before you ask, the “extra effect” in the graphics settings menu can be set to “ink”, “watercolor” and “posterization” which are similar to the extra effects SFIV had on PC."

Awesome. I've been without the ink filter for way too long.

So one person has to be signed in for the game to work otherwise you get a gimped version. This has to be the worst DRM I've ever seen

Is there at least an offline mode?

Makoto

Legitimate customers get punished. I've been playing Street Fighter IV on PC lately and since online is pretty much dead for North America I've been doing training, arcade and trials, which are pretty much the only methods of keeping me entertained. Now in the case that I'm not connected to the internet there's a chance I won't even be able to play my main character, save challenges or EVEN USE THE DLC I'VE RIGHTFULLY BOUGHT? This is a fucking dumb idea, Capcom. I know he's acting as the messenger in this case, but seriously Sven, tell the individual behind this idea that it's awful.

Edit: New thread made.

Calcaneus

What the hell? I had no interest in the PC version, but those decisions are just arbitrarily cruel. You can't even play with all of the fucking characters offline, what possible reason is there for doing that other than being dicks?

TheOGB

Banned
...So, there's no problems for people that got Vanilla then?

Coo'
obviously not for everyone else though, that is pretty fucked up

Ysiadmihi said:
"Before you ask, the “extra effect” in the graphics settings menu can be set to “ink”, “watercolor” and “posterization” which are similar to the extra effects SFIV had on PC."

Awesome. I've been without the ink filter for way too long.
Ink'd up verisons of more than just the main color, fuck yer

notworksafe

zlatko said:
So no reason to get the PC version confirmed for me. I'll just spend the 20 for the DLC off Marketplace. How many microsoft bucks does that equal out to?
1600 MSP. This awful PC release almost seems like Capcom scheming for a reason not to release another PC fighting game ("Well, you didn't buy the last one!").

Airan

I can deal with AC2 style internet lock down, I can deal with GFWL (it's functional) but restricting character count is pure unfiltered horseshit. Seriously now.

It'll probably be patchable though, anything memory edittable can be :D

Celcius

°Temp. member
That killed it for me, I'll be going with the ps3 version. I don't see why offline players have to get punished...

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I don't agree with them locking characters, but wouldn't most people be online 99% of the time when playing anyway? I really doubt anyone is going to set up the PC version for tournaments when it's cheaper and easier to set up consoles.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Blueblur1 said:
Probably one of the most stupid things ive seen in a while. Damn.

Makoto

Ysiadmihi said:
I don't agree with them locking characters, but wouldn't most people be online 99% of the time when playing anyway? I really doubt anyone is going to set up the PC version for tournaments when it's cheaper and easier to set up consoles.
It would be prudent to use the PC version as the main stage game so that streams could actually be 720p or maybe even 1080p.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
vidal said:
It would be prudent to use the PC version as the main stage game so that streams could actually be 720p or maybe even 1080p.

Yeah I wish they'd do that. It wouldn't be hard to set up one PC and get it signed into GFWL at tournaments.

I'm just not seeing why having to be signed into GFWL is such a big deal.

notworksafe said:
15 is an odd number. Didn't vanilla SF4 have 25 characters? So it's even less than that...

Vanilla arcade had 16 (17 when Akuma was unlocked), which consisted of the original world warriors, shadowloo and the sf4 newcomers.

Maybe it's those minus bison?

Salsa

Great, now no one will buy the PC version, Capcom wont realease more fighters on PC..

Supreme job capcom, cant wait to hear your complaints about piracy/no pc sales you stupid sons of bitches.

DryEyeRelief said:
Vanilla arcade had 16 (17 when Akuma was unlocked), which consisted of the original world warriors, shadowloo and the sf4 newcomers.

Maybe it's those minus bison?
It would be pretty wild if trollno enabled the only the 15 least used characters

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Here is what I have to say about all the crying that's going on in this thread

1) I'm getting Super on PC, where I actually have friends to play it with.

2) My internet has been 24/7 since 1995. "Always on" sucks major balls, yes, but I can deal with it.

3) Pirates always get a way to do everything, except play online. On some cases, they get that too. No matter what crazy ass backwards protection/prevention you create, people will pirate THE HELL out of your game, and unlock most (if not all) artificially locked content.

3a) If they do it, so can you. Patches, cracks and alternate costumes (even non-official ones) will be available within weeks, if not days. This "always on DRM" is how they managed to justify a PC release. Ubisoft does it and people complain, but their games still sell. Be prepared for more and more games using this kind of DRM. Also, be glad we're getting a PC release at all. Stop complaining about trivial shit.

What really worries me is the "Steam Users won't be acquiring the DLC through Games for Windows Live. More on that later". Are they creating Steam-sold specific DLC? Does that mean that they'll have to make every single DLC virtually twice, once for Games for Windows and once for Steam?

What if they decide that they don't want to do the Steam one anymore? What if the Steam one gets delayed for whatever reason?

I'm OK with everything else.

LordK

Ysiadmihi said:
Yeah I wish they'd do that. It wouldn't be hard to set up one PC and get it signed into GFWL at tournaments.

Could be because they can force a file check when logged in to make sure nobody has hacked the files to play with DLC costumes. This could effectively kill mods too.

alstein

entrement said:
Has Capcom ever released their current games on Steam?

They do, but you still get GFWL. For SFIV, you also got Securom on top of that, unless you got the Impulse or Steam versions.

Makoto

Ysiadmihi said:
The character restriction is really the one reason why I don't like it. That and no access to DLC. Though I have access to the internet most of the time, perhaps my ISP will experience some issues that prevent me from logging into GFWL, so if I go to play AE I can't fool around in training mode with all the characters I want to play? What if GFWL goes down PSN-style? I won't have access to the DLC I've already downloaded and is sitting on my HDD. Again, I have access to the internet the majority of the time, but this form of DRM just doesn't sit well with me.

-Mikey-

1 step forward 100 back.

I'll still never understand why anyone would decide to release their game on GFWL over Steam. Hell, I'll go with GoG. Anything but GFWL.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
-Mikey- said:
1 step forward 100 back.

I'll still never understand why anyone would decide to release their game on GFWL over Steam. Hell, I'll go with GoG. Anything but GFWL.

Because all the Leaderboards, online matchmaking, DLC hookups and so on are provided as an API from Microsoft (essentially, working, tested and reliable Lego blocks which you just connect to your game's original Source Code).

The game is already coded to use these APIs on the console version. The same APIs are provided on the PC Side of the deal. Just port your console code to the PC, use the appropriate APIs and BAM, your game works online, has all the inner workings for DLC to work, you have friends integration with the code and online gameplay.

All the deals with Microsoft are already set in place (because you made them for the Console version of your game) and everything goes easier.

Games for Windows Live is one of the reasons we get ports from consoles. Most companies wouldn't drop the resources to make it work on another "online platform".

Chavelo

drizzle said:
Here is what I have to say about all the crying that's going on in this thread

1) I'm getting Super on PC, where I actually have friends to play it with.

2) My internet has been 24/7 since 1995. "Always on" sucks major balls, yes, but I can deal with it.

3) Pirates always get a way to do everything, except play online. On some cases, they get that too. No matter what crazy ass backwards protection/prevention you create, people will pirate THE HELL out of your game, and unlock most (if not all) artificially locked content.

3a) If they do it, so can you. Patches, cracks and alternate costumes (even non-official ones) will be available within weeks, if not days. This "always on DRM" is how they managed to justify a PC release. Ubisoft does it and people complain, but their games still sell. Be prepared for more and more games using this kind of DRM. Also, be glad we're getting a PC release at all. Stop complaining about trivial shit.

What really worries me is the "Steam Users won't be acquiring the DLC through Games for Windows Live. More on that later". Are they creating Steam-sold specific DLC? Does that mean that they'll have to make every single DLC virtually twice, once for Games for Windows and once for Steam?

What if they decide that they don't want to do the Steam one anymore? What if the Steam one gets delayed for whatever reason?

I'm OK with everything else.

Again...

Consumers: "Fine, Capcom. We'll deal with your bullshit... :-("
Pirates: *patches game* "AWWWWW YEAAAAAAH."

Keep making yourself feel better, guy.

:3

BTW, how does Fable 3 run on your PC?

V_Ben

Banned
Capcom, you really can't do something nice, and then take a dump on everybody who let their guard down. That's just mean.

Instro

-Mikey- said:
1 step forward 100 back.

Yeah kind of confusing considering they already have games on Steam. Surely they realize most people dont want to use both services, particularly when GFWL is so inferior.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Capcom should have went with Steamworks. It would have prevented day 0 piracy and not fucked over legit consumers in the process.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
If you aren’t signed in to an online GFWL profile, the offline mode has limited functionality. Obviously there’s no online play, access to replay channels or other online-centric features (and this is the part that keeps the online play secure from hackers or pirates). Additionally, you won’t be able to save any progress in challenges or settings, won’t have access to any DLC you’ve purchased and all local play will be restricted to 15 of the 39 characters.
Yeah, it'll probably take all of 3 days before the eye patch wearers find a workaround for that.

Top Bottom