• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: USF2 proved to be a smash hit

nightside

When wii users "passed" the re4 and umbrella chronicles tests they got... Another umbrella chronocls.. So... I'm not quite optimistic.

ggx2ac

Good numbers but it's not as big as some people expected to be. I want them to port the Alpha or SF3 series next, would be difficult to play without a d-pad though and I doubt many would be willing to buy a fight stick.

We did want to see USF2 beat SFV in launch sales because it would have been funny but, oh well.

hoserx

Its my number one most played switch game so far. I did not see it coming. I am addicted, and I was never really a fighting game fan before.

Mugy

Portability its a big factor that Capcom i think may not be seeing...Specially considering RE4HD doesn't have any good portable option to play it (iOS doesn't count). Fighting games may not be a good option, but SFIIHD put the standard, so may as well Capcom consider it.

But don't tell me that those games i listed are not AMAZING options for Switch ports. Who cares, Capcom eventually will make new games or port existing current generation games to Switch.

MrCarter

We did want to see USF2 beat SFV in launch sales because it would have been funny but, oh well.

lol that was unlikely.

Who expected? It was a smash hit for Capcom.

I mean some people on here expected it to sell over a million. Like I said it's still good numbers, it's a nice little party game to play around with and it seems like nostalgia did the trick. Next up should be a Resident Evil port as they are doing very well digitally on PS4/XB1.

Sterok

Knowing Capcom, MHXX western sales are the next test. With no changes to the current localization plans of course.

Knowing Capcom, MHXX western sales are the next test. With no changes to the current localization plans of course.

Well I've had my pre-order in since it was announced. Not sure how many others are going to bother though. Most of my friends that were going to import XX are now just waiting for MH:W.

That would have meant more than 1 in 5 Switch owners would have bought the game, who expected that? That’s like Zelda-level numbers, Street Fighter selling the same as Zelda??

Yeah I don't know who expected a million. It's another remaster of some old ass game. I thought it'd do 200K.

MrCarter

I am impressed how SF2 is such an iconic game that it's surpassed its modern competitors like Guilty Gear Xrd, BlazBlue and KOF14 in sales.

Well this is nice!!!
Glad to see the game surpassed their expectations
People complaining about other people who bought it: let people buy whatever they want...

ITSMILNER

What could Capcom realistically bring to Switch next? I doubt they would make an exclusive title but Incould see the 2 Megaman Legacy collections and maybe the Disney afternoon collection

radcliff

Glad its doing well. I have the game and play online almost every night. Definitely got my money's worth and then some.

Cepheus

I really, really hope this means Third Strike is next. I don't want to keep having to get my PS3 out just to play it, since it's the only game I play on that system.

Third Strike
On the go

Theres not much to play on the Switch right now so I'm not surprised that the game sold well. But as long as it tempts Capcom to keep supporting the switch then I'm fine with that.

iMerc

lol.
gotta love capcom's double standard.
If a exclusive game performs well on a nintendo system, their response is to port it to other consoles too -- and NOT to invest in more titles on the nintendo system.
but if one of their titles perform well on an xbox or a playstation system, then that's reason to keep it exclusive to those because the user bases really liked it! lol.

What could Capcom realistically bring to Switch next? I doubt they would make an exclusive title but Incould see the 2 Megaman Legacy collections and maybe the Disney afternoon collection

nothing, really.
they likely did not expect this to sell well, or for their 'test' to be passed.
lol at a megaman collection or disney afternoon collection. given those properties history on nintendo systems, and the fact that many of those games are actually from nintendo systems already, bringing it over to the switch should have been the first priority.
it wasn't even a consideration, lol.

i'm not making fun of nintendo hardware, mind you. i'm just commenting on capcom's nonsense. :)

KingBroly

Banned
Doesn't deserve it, IMO.

They'll now release USF3, which will flop, and Nintendo will be blamed, with them releasing nothing else on Switch.

HyperHip

Funny enough one of my favorite switch titles, sorry GAF! Still a decent amount of people to play and always nice to run into some fightcade cats too. Hopefully they do another update with super versions of the characters.

dracula_x

I think they updated their sales numbers – http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

SFV at 1.7

wadseYo.png

RE VII at 3.7 (was 3.5 as for April 27 – http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-27-resident-evil-7-sales-top-3-5m-worldwide)

dM2ONux.png

Theres not much to play on the Switch right now so I'm not surprised that the game sold well.
Every time a Switch game proves successful, somebody brings out this line.

So many games selling well, yet there's not much to play... I'd love to know how that works.

I wonder how come it never seemed to apply to the Wii U at any point.

Every time a Switch game proves successful, somebody brings out this line.

So many games selling well, yet there's not much to play... I'd love to know how that works.

I wonder how come it never seemed to apply to the Wii U at any point.

Just ignore these people lol. They dont know what they are talking about.

I knew this comment was coming. Fine, games "worth" playing. No one threw down 300 dollars just to play 1-2 Switch. 100 games doesn't mean anything if only a few of them are worth your time.

There's plenty of games "worth" playing. Just stop with that nonsense. That died off and you're a Lone Ranger trying to push it.

LordRaptor

at 40 a copy, and basically not development costs... already more profitable that SFV? lol

SFV definitely had higher initial production costs, and has also had ongoing SaaS upkeep development costs, even though its at a fairly small userbase and a fairly cheap purchase price so... yeah, could well be.

The Hermit

I did my part and even convinced a friend to buy it.

I just wished they had more options regarding speed and updated moves.

tkscz

450k means roughly 1 in 10 Switch owners bought the game. Pretty darn good for a third party game, and it promises for a great third-party future for the system.

What people expected more than 1 in 10 Switch owners to buy the game? As for a fight stick, there’s one being released next week, but there are other ways to get a better dpad - the 8bitdo SNES Controller has an amazing dpad.

And that's just shipped. They didn't say anything about Digital sales and the game thus far the game as remained on the top selling eShop games (which it records every two weeks). So I say the game probably did about 500 - 600k adding digital.

Top Bottom