• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Vancouver almost rebooted Dino Crisis, chose Knights of Aegis(GnG) instead

Jawmuncher

Back in 2013, Capcom Japan offered Capcom Vancouver the chance to reboot Dino Crisis. CV instead decided on Knights of Aegis instead. This is the pitch for knights of Aegis

Knights of Aegis

1974, New York City. You are recruited into the Order of Aegis, an elite brotherhood of Mystic Knights sworn to protect and keep the peace between the mortal and supernatural realms.
When a powerful evil stirs in the darkness, you must master the ancient powers of the past in order to save humanity's future.

An Action Shooter with Elemental Magic Mastery
-Unlock an arsenal of modern weaponry and elemental spells. Become a master of the elements to defeat the most powerful creatures in the city.

A Detailed and Intriguing Campaign
-Uncover a poweful evil that is brewing in the darkness as you explore a rich narrative-driven world. Investigate crime scenes to piece together a case and bring the orchestrators to justice.

Guns & Magic Combat System
-Dual-wield elemental magic and modern guns and combine them to create a wide variety of powers to destroy your enemies, protect yourself from danger, and turn the enviroment to your advantage.

Classical Supernatural Creatures
-Battle renowned supernatural creatures like Werewolves, Angels, Goblins, and Demons. Identify their weaknesses to take them down, and prepare yourself to fight gargantuan monsters in your quest to vanquish evil from the world.

I'm unsure if the idea was to always have this as a new Ghost N' Goblins titles, and this was just a code name. Or if these ideas were interspersed later. As you can tell from the pitch however, it wouldn't be a stretch even if this was original at first to make it into a reboot of GnG. Either way works and fits with capcoms new goal of bringing back more old IPs in some form. Hell the title might even be canceled or they backed off the "dark" reboot idea after the fan reaction of DMC that same month I think this pitch was accepted. Since capcom Vancouver did mention their new IP the beginning of 2013 http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...ng-on-a-new-ip-that-wont-include-any-zombies/

This also leads me to believe that the other two project leaked. Which were called Broken Horizon and Lost Star, might have been other pitches capcom Vancouver passed on as well. This wasn't from my source, and is only a theory of mine. You can read more about those here http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1342621

img_1458sblta.png

Dino Crisis' Future - There's still hope!

Now to talk about the only reason I decided to share this information. Dino Crisis being rejected by Capcom Vancouver is saddening in a sense. However this was in 2013. More than likely early 2013 close to when DmC was releasing. So during that time, Jurassic World was still 2 years away. Much like the rest of forecasters at that time, not many people were banking on it being as large of a return as it was. So I could understand CV ditching a DC pitch from Capcom JP, thinking it wouldn't sell. Had all things gone according to plan, this supposed DC pitch from 2013 would have probably been shown this E3 and had a release close to JW2. I also consider this a bit of a dodged bullet (Unless CV perhaps went back and is planning on the title later), due to the reception of DR4 and to a lesser extent DR4. Dino Crisis to me is a title that needs that unique Japanese touch to it.

Some more interesting titles that tie this all together is a story about Dino Crisis and Onimusha having "no plans" from Capcom http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=511192
This is from February 2013, so it would be accurate. If you pitch a new Dino Crisis, and decide against it. Well there's no plans for a new Dino Crisis is there? However on the other hand things change, as we saw with the new trademark from Onimusha http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1148655
So no plans can turn into plans.

This has me feeling pretty confident in a new Dino Crisis soon. More so than anything prior. With Capcom JP already trying to bring it back as far back as 2013, and then seeing the money from Jurassic World. I could see that pushing higher ups at capcom to really get the ball rolling on bringing back an IP they didn't think would sell at first.

This also falls in line when OXM heard murmurs of Dino Crisi returning in 2014
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=776174
Which would make for a well conceptualization period as they wait to see on the success of DC.

None of this is 100% and just theory, outside of what I put in the title. But if there was ever a time to bet on a new Dino Crisis it would be now.

If any mods want this verified they can PM me.

Khezu

Good.

I wouldn't trust them at all.

For how weird and mechanic heavy DC2 was, I think you would need a Japanese developer for that.

Armigr

Good.

I wouldn't trust them at all.

For how weird and mechanic heavy DC2 was, I think you would need a Japanese developer for that.

RE7 doesn't really fill me with confidence in Capcom JP's ability to handle mechanics either. The shooting in that game feels dreadful.

BadWolf

RE7 doesn't really fill me with confidence in Capcom JP's ability to handle mechanics either. The shooting in that game feels dreadful.

Not really, shooting or deep combat just wasn't the focus of RE7.

The previous entries show that they are more than capable of excellent TPS combat.

Armigr

Not really, shooting or deep combat wasn't the focus of RE7.

The previous entries show that they are more than capable of excellent TPS combat.

The shooting is just the tip of the iceburg. Taking hits and escaping from enemies also feels really dodgy in RE7. I know a lot of people really like it, but mechanically speaking I feel like it's very much a subpar game.

Timeaisis

Hopefully this means the reboot will be offered to an internal japanese team at some point. If they were thinking about rebooting it 3 years ago, it's probably still a possibility for them, even now. Especially considering Resident Evil's success.

Honestly, I think if Capcom were to bring a beloved franchise like DC back, I'd rather see them work on it in-house than give it to a team like Capcom Vancouver who have been doing a shit job lately.

brau

Sad music to go with the reply.

Rick: Good news: I've got the Dino Crisis back on line! What's the situation over there?
Regina: It's Capcom...I've lost interest in the game.
Rick: [chuckles] so what's the bad news? Did you run into some licensing issues?
Regina: You're not going to believe this: game was attacked by some kind of...dinosaur!
Rick: [laughs] now thats a good one! So, who was it? Capcom Vancouver?
Regina: This isn't a joke you idiot! We were just cancelled by a big assed corporation!

Sorry jaw. maybe in another life.

BadWolf

The shooting is just the tip of the iceburg. Taking hits and escaping from enemies also feels really dodgy in RE7. I know a lot of people really like it, but mechanically speaking I feel like it's very much a subpar game.

It's kind of like the Silent Hill games where the characters and combat were intentionally sluggish to up the tension.

RE7 is a reboot and features more of an 'everyday' person instead of the combat trained Chris, Leon etc.

Sesha

So essentially we dodged a bullet.

It was directed as the same director as REvelations, which had poor gunplay. That said, I thought gunplay in RE7 felt okay. Certainly not dreadful.

At any rate, the RE7 team wouldn't work on a new Dino Crisis, so I wouldn't worry strictly based on RE7. RE4 and 5 show that Capcom JP can make game with excellent gunplay.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It would make a lot of sense if these were all canceled projects from Capcom Vancouver.

Gritty Ghosts and Goblins reboot, Lost Planet reboot made in the West, and what just straight up looks like a Western game based on the description and concept art.

It would make a lot of sense if these were all canceled projects from Capcom Vancouver.

Gritty Ghosts and Goblins reboot, Lost Planet reboot made in the West, and what just straight up looks like a Western game based on the description and concept art.

Are they cancelled? It's all leaked info of possible new IPs.

Top Bottom