• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Vancouver lays off 7% of staff, but is apparently still hiring

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't get how it happened.

DR2 and DR2: Off the Record both worked great. What happened in the last year?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
When they're bought BY EA or Activision and live on as one of their many appendages.

But I worry about that shit. A company like Treasure, only has 30-40 something employees. They used to be able to put out a new game every 1-2 years. Now their last new game was in 2008, and they only have the manpower to recreate their classics for XBLA.

wat

Sin and Punishment 2 came out in 2010.

Pooya

https://twitter.com/604TMS

this is twitter account of Studio recruiter at Capcom Vancouver, yesterday
Looking for a Rendering SE in Vancouver, BC Canada http://t.co/sZtWrsDr #job

Capcom Vancouver is a really Great place to work. Come and find out for yourself. Check out all our open roles www.cap…http://t.co/0rRsSAdC

Sorry to hear about the layoffs at Bioware Austin today- Capcom Vancouver is hiring
http://t.co/4pBFdk1A maybe we can help

now this happened, looks like it was a sudden, unexpected thing, must be a bad one I think.

duckroll

https://twitter.com/604TMS

this is twitter account of Studio recruiter at Capcom Vancouver, yesterday

now this happened, looks like it was a sudden, unexpected thing, must be a bad one I think.

Shit. That does sound like something bad happened. Capcom Japan must have dropped some awful news on them today. Shit's fucked up. I hope everyone affected lands on their feet. >_<

God damnit Capcom. I wonder if the Dragon's Bomba is having company wide repercussions

Edot: Why are people going on about graphics? Dead Rising 2 performed really well

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
How much does this impact the Canadian games industry?

And Capcom just bought them like 2 years ago.

Something went terribly wrong.

Capcom bought them two years ago, that's what went terrible wrong.

shaowebb

Bloody hell. News is just trickling in. At least two of my colleagues caught up in it, more to come.

Are you kidding me!? Jesus they just went through a major hiring spree for a whole year! What on Earth man...

God, I even talked to someone here on Neogaf from that studio last year who critiqued my work and helped me figure out things (thank you Mikeeb13) I needed to focus on in my animation portfolio. Best of luck to anyone who is tangled up in this mess. I hope everyone lands on their feet, because Vancouver is an expensive place to live and having to relocate is a possibility some may face as this is not the first studio thats faced this up there. The market is filling up for the jobs that are left in that town. Blue Castle Games aka Capcom Vancouver is also one of the few studios that pulled in money last year off of their games. They were profitable and supposedly being handed 1 or 2 new projects (thus the hiring spree).

With all that why the layoffs? It just makes so little sense to me. Its likely they are the ones on Darkstalkers 4 too since Ono has been spending time up there lately.

Terrible news.

kunonabi

I have to admit despite loving Dead Rising and being psyched for the sequel I never actually got around to picking it up. By the time I could afford it they already announced OTR. Had OTR actually included DR2 I would have bought it in a heartbeat. In the end I didn't buy either despite the original being the only reason I really bought a 360.

What do you mean?

Not to put words in his mouth but I believe he's saying that if capcom didn't buy them then there wouldn't be any layoffs.

Anyways, this sucks for everyone that has been laid off. Like someone said, how is anyone supposed to survive next gen?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What do you mean?

I dunno, Capcom bitterness reaction.

Although thinking about it, although DR2 was successful, would these layoffs be happening if they hadn't been bought? What did they work on before, and what were they working on when they were bought?

To me, it seems like the bigger publishers are the most often to announce layoffs. Capcom, EA, Activision, etc. I don't really see news when one of the smaller devs or publishers have layoffs -- that could either be because it doesn't happen as often, or because it doesn't make the news since they're not as big. Probably a combo of the two.

Pretty fucked up considering Capcom only recently bought them. Outsourcing their games to shit developers like Spark or Slant Six is probably much cheaper for them and doesn't have any significantly negative effects on sales.
Not that I was super impressed by Dead Rising 2, but it was a pretty solid sequel.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Stop ruining my dreams of moving to Vancouver. By the time we decide to, there won't be any more jobs at all. :(

DR2K

Banned
It probably has more to do with them cutting costs with recent failures. SFxTK, Resident Evil Rev, Asura's Wrath and Dragons Dogma all selling below expectations/being money sinks.

george_us

It probably has more to do with them cutting costs with recent failures. SFxTK, Resident Evil Rev, Asura's Wrath and Dragons Dogma all selling below expectations/being money sinks.
You'd think they'd start cutting costs starting with the developers responsible for those money sinks instead of canning a developer who's made them money. Then again I assume Capcom Japan just wants to take care of their own first and foremost.

chriskun

capcom must really be in trouble, this with the sudden deluge of the downloadable fighting games makes me think they are in need of cash quick.

DR2K

Banned
You'd think they'd start cutting costs starting with the developers responsible for those money sinks instead of canning a developer who's made them money. Then again I assume Capcom Japan just wants to take care of their own first and foremost.

It's really not the talent's fault. It's more to do with piss poor management.

This is why I think Wii U will be a viable platform for some third party companies and many independent studios. While it won't be cheap to put games on Wii U, it won't be as expensive as PS4/720. I hope Capcom considers it outside Japan

george_us

It's really not the talent's fault. It's more to do with piss poor management.
Sure but I assume heads have to roll somewhere. It's just strange that they start laying off developers from a studio that's made them money. The Japanese branch hasn't had any layoffs have they?

And yet they keep pooling their money into SFxT.

smdh Capcom.
With all that why the layoffs? It just makes so little sense to me. Its likely they are the ones on Darkstalkers 4 too since Ono has been spending time up there lately.
I thought they were working on Onimusha, I can't see Vancouver working on Darkstalkers at all.

And yet they keep pooling their money into SFxT.

smdh Capcom.
They're not "pooling" money into that game. The money was just tied into SFxT months ago. Not making use of the marketing talent and resources they allocated might be an even larger waste of their time and money at this point.

It's not easy trying to turn a ship around.

This might not mean anything for now. All studios (well depending on their product planning) go through stages where they have to cut people due to where they are in for the dev cycle. I hope there's some kind of statement issued about this to clear it up.

Top Bottom