• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to grow Monster Hunter in West, feels handhelds are limiting sales there

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanstesy

They haven't really done anything like that this gen yet, though. If anything, their biggest franchise in the West, RE, has just undergone a major shift away from Western AAA design.

Again, I can't completely rule it out, but the 4chan rumor would have been a lot more plausible 3-5 years ago.

What? First-person horror games have become mainstream in the west with the boom of Let's plays on Youtube and Twitch. This is maybe a major shift away from standard Western AAA design, but not from potential western audience appeal itself.

Capcom is always after the huge western mainstream audience and nothing has changed. Just because they take years to get games out now doesn't mean that still isn't their main goal.

Monster Hunter is a known quantty in the West. 4U shipped a million. Tri did 800k. Pretty sure Generations is on its way to a million. People know what MH is. If they call the PS4 game MHGen2, you think thay would be some huge issues?

That said if they make it mainline it wouldnt matter because spinoff MH doesnt mean low effort. Generations is a spinoff.

Shipping 1 million copies is a known quantity? Dude, they want it at least sell triple that amount here in the west. It's not mainstream at all.

mikeyvids

Neo Member
4Chan summary style!

>MH5 moneyhatted by Sony, leaked to Nintendo, problems
>sales of MHX way higher than expected
>panic inside Capcom
>MHP for Switch now main project, XX on Switch to prepare the base
>SFV failure scaring Capcom as well
>MH5 open world, suffering from identity crisis
>action fights, qtes
>streamlined weapons, not many complicated ones for now
>moving away from gathering, preparation
>online mp, for PC as well
>MHP with environments like leaps and mountains
>cross-like gameplay, online and local mp

I'm okay if they reduce the necessity and keep it in for hitting level cap, power user armor / weapons as to not push away MH existing base.

You sure? Okay then.

- Sony signed a deal with Capcom last year for MH5 on PS4/PC, specifically excluding Switch. A lot like the SFV contract excludes XBO. Sony paid a lot.
- MH5 is an open-world game aimed at Westerners, with a lot of streamlined gameplay - no timer, no missions, less gathering and prep, more action based, QTEs, less complicated and fewer weapons. 2018.
- Someone at Capcom leaked the deal to Nintendo. Nintendo have been quiet.
- MHX did way better in Japan and the West than Capcom expected, causing a bunch of people at Capcom to panic.
- A bunch of people at Capcom are worried MH5 for PS4 is being rushed out with too little content (monsters, weapons, balance) and will bomb like SFV.
- MH Portable series is getting resurrected for Switch, headed by main MH team, because Capcom don't expect MH5 to do well in Japan. Traditional MH game - new weapons and environmental stuff, some elements from MHX. 2018.
- MHXX is getting a Switch port to set up for Portable.
Actually reading the summary like this it sounds exactly like something Capcom would do. It doesn't make sense to have done it but Capcom has been making nonsensical decisions for decades. Anyone remember Code Veronica?

Ridley327

Anyone familiar with the MH series knows this is indeed a problem, just look at how MH3 turned out. It was a big departure from past MH games, but lacked in terms of content, probably because of development deadlines.

Yeah, MH3 was a really big step back in terms of overall content, even as everything else was so vastly improved upon in every other area. Small roster of monsters (which made the online-exclusive ones even more painful to lose), no visual difference between low and high rank armor, and gutting the available weapons while making some needlessly complicated changes to the bowguns. That's always been the biggest concern about going all-in on HD, since you would have to wipe the slate clean. Something in between AAA and where it's at now would be preferable to keep the amount of content high, but the optics wouldn't be too great and kneecap western sales right away.

BadWolf

4Chan summary style!

>panic inside Capcom
>action fights, qtes

If the game is going to lack content then they might as well delay it, no reason to fuck over MH like they did SF.

Can't say I mind reduced focus on the gathering etc., never enjoyed that stuff.

renzolama

As long as this somehow all leads to me being able to play a quality monster hunter that is designed against and built for native 1080p on a television then I'll be happy. It shouldn't be a formula that requires some kind of development wizardry to make popular on a console for western audiences, people will play the hell out of any halfway decent loot based coop action game. If you throw in a deep combat system it could easily be a companion game to the Souls series and appeal to the same audience while retaining a slightly different feel/focus.

aadiboy

Someone needs to keep track of everyone who said MH won't be on PS4 for the inevitable reveal. I'm not going to do it, because I'm too lazy.

mikeyvids

Neo Member
What? First-person horror games have become mainstream in the west with the boom of Let's plays on Youtube and Twitch. This is maybe a major shift away from standard Western AAA design, but not from potential western audience appeal itself.

Capcom is always after the huge western mainstream audience and nothing has changed. Just because they take years to get games out now doesn't mean that still isn't their main goal.

Ever since RE4 the series has morphed into RE6. RE:R rejuvenated the series back to its roots. RE7 is a Japanese game taking into consideration all of its audiences. I hope RE doesn't reinvent itself into obsolescence. Work with the fan base you have and include new ideas that are relevant to the series.

Shipping 1 million copies is a known quantity? Dude, they want it at least sell triple that amount here in the west. It's not mainstream at all.

Yeah. 1 million is a known quantity. I never said MH was big in the west but they are well reviewing games with a consistent fanbase.

Monster Hunter is never selling 3 million in the west in its current form. Straight up.

iosefe

So assuming a ps4 game, they will probably use the panta rei engine. Didn't the intended game play of deep down fall in line with monster hunter?

jonno394

4Chan summary style!

>panic inside Capcom
>action fights, qtes

So why are Capcom panicking when MHX sells better than expected? A case of "Oh Shit, we're going to be potentially missing out on all these sales as it stands, we need to keep Monster Hunter on portables in some form because we don't have faith in our console version to match MHX sales"?

How many of those first-person horror games have sold 6-7 million units at $60 each?

It's still a thoroughly Western-focused game, no one disagree with that, but it's quite a shift away from the inept Westaboo pandering they did last gen and what's described in the 4chan rumor.

DrArchon

If the game is going to lack content then they might as well delay it, no reason to fuck over MH like they did SF.

Can't say I mind reduced focus on the gathering etc., never enjoyed that stuff.

If they truly want to appeal to people in the West that have never played a MH game, then cutting back on content might be a smart thing. They wouldn't want those people to get overwhelmed by the number of different monsters, weapons, moves, items, areas, mechanics, etc. It'd suck for veteran fans of the series, but someone going into a game like MHGen having not played any of the previous games would be pretty baffled by a lot of the stuff there.

CronoShot

You sure? Okay then.

- Sony signed a deal with Capcom last year for MH5 on PS4/PC, specifically excluding Switch. A lot like the SFV contract excludes XBO. Sony paid a lot.
- MH5 is an open-world game aimed at Westerners, with a lot of streamlined gameplay - no timer, no missions, less gathering and prep, more action based, QTEs, less complicated and fewer weapons. 2018.
- Someone at Capcom leaked the deal to Nintendo. Nintendo have been quiet.
- MHX did way better in Japan and the West than Capcom expected, causing a bunch of people at Capcom to panic.
- A bunch of people at Capcom are worried MH5 for PS4 is being rushed out with too little content (monsters, weapons, balance) and will bomb like SFV.
- MH Portable series is getting resurrected for Switch, headed by main MH team, because Capcom don't expect MH5 to do well in Japan. Traditional MH game - new weapons and environmental stuff, some elements from MHX. 2018.
- MHXX is getting a Switch port to set up for Portable.

Weapon and monster content I can understand because that's largely planned in advance of actual development, but being worried about rushing and balance for a game that doesn't come out until 2018 seems odd.

Eolz

Its not all just about the moneyhat theory though

Nintendo certainly picked up a few bills in marketing and distribution depending on the region

At the very least a close partnership that retained exclusivity. I wonder how this partnership will change going forward

Oh yeah, agreed on that, and Nintendo helped with more at the start.
I was talking about the stupid posts that keep coming back about that secret exclusivity deal "that ends in two years I swear this time!" :p

crinale

I think it was the opposite for DQXI. A lot of people seemed sure it would be on PS3 or PS4 because of Horii's comments. Being multiplatform was the big surprise.

I'm talking about before Horii's comment. And even after that I remember being called out just by speculating PS4 version by yelling "port begging" or some sort.

CronoShot

Yeah Switch version makes way more sense than dropping it on consoles projected to have 100 million install base by the time this would release.

"We want more market penetration in the West... not enough handhelds over there..."

"Well obviously we target the platform that doesn't even exist yet. "
Should just be Switch/PS4 multiplat. Covers all their bases. Console with large install base in the West, handheld version for Japan, and Switch and PS4 are (probably) not so far apart in capabilities that it would require completely different versions for each.

Problem would be Sony/Nintendo would probably want exclusives.

BadWolf

If they truly want to appeal to people in the West that have never played a MH game, then cutting back on content might be a smart thing. They wouldn't want those people to get overwhelmed by the number of different monsters, weapons, moves, items, areas, mechanics, etc. It'd suck for veteran fans of the series, but someone going into a game like MHGen having not played any of the previous games would be pretty baffled by a lot of the stuff there.

Less content is fine as long as there is enough there and the game feels complete.

SFV was nothing short of embarrassing at launch when it came to content and bang for your buck, especially for casuals.

I'm talking about before Horii's comment. And even after that I remember being called out just by speculating PS4 version by yelling "port begging" or some sort.

I straight up called it as crazy. You know how insane a PS4/3DS multiplatform game sounds? I don't bkame people. It was obvious it was coming out in 3DS. That's what made PS4 sound so insane.

sanstesy

Ever since RE4 the series has morphed into RE6. RE:R rejuvenated the series back to its roots. RE7 is a Japanese game taking into consideration all of its audiences. I hope RE doesn't reinvent itself into obsolescence. Work with the fan base you have and include new ideas that are relevant to the series.

Capcom really doesn't care. If RE7 catches on with the let's play and twitch crowd, which is huge, this thing will sell very good here in the west, especially with RE being a known brand in gaming. It is a game made in Japan though, yes.

Yeah. 1 million is a known quantity. I never said MH was big in the west but they are well reviewing games with a consistent fanbase.

Monster Hunter is never selling 3 million in the west in its current form. Straight up.

I'm not sure what you are trying to argue here then because Capcom has different ideas. A game shipping 1 million copies in the west is not a known quantity to the mainstream and Capcom clearly wants it to be just that as we see by the thread topic.

How many of those first-person horror games have sold 6-7 million units at $60 each?

It's still a thoroughly Western-focused game, no one disagree with that, but it's quite a shift away from the inept Westaboo pandering they did last gen and what's described in the 4chan rumor.

RE is a known brand which will give it already free marketing, all the other first-person horror games were basically new unknown IPs by indie devs. It's not a shift from appealing to western audiences and that is what is important here. Also, you probably fail to see how RE is just one huge outlier that works well over the dozen other failed western pandered products they tried to do. RE just works without them realizing why, that's what is different here.

crinale

One factor that keeps me quite skeptical about this rumor is that Capcom has already announced MHF for PS4. If they do release MH5 then they would cannibalize e/a.

However MHF is pretty much mainline MH with microtransactions added, so it may not have much effect if MH5 turns out to be so different from original MH.

I straight up called it as crazy. You know how insane a PS4/3DS multiplatform game sounds? I don't bkame people. It was obvious it was coming out in 3DS. That's what made PS4 sound so insane.

Yeah they are basically making 2 versions. I guess it's possible because of the budget size SE could afford.

Mupod

It feels like after the reception to Tri they've been very conscious of the reception to that game's lack of content.

Personally I felt that the massive jump in overall standards of animation, hitboxes, monster personality warranted it. But at the time it was being constantly shit on for not having the vast amount of stuff that MHFU had. Since then, even the non-G base versions have been packed full of content. But this won't fly on more advanced systems - can't get away with just dropping 2nd gen monsters in with a few moveset tweaks.

MHXX is going to have an absolutely massive roster. Going from that to a reduced monster/weapon selection like Tri's will have backlash and they definitely know it. Whether this is avoidable during a proper generational transition is the question. As for the SFV comparisons, releasing a smaller game and having monsters as paid DLC would be...ick. But Capcom is Capcom.

I said it before, it doesn't make sense for a third party dev to make a Switch game that pushes the system without porting it to other systems because the costs will be far too high.

Oh, it's been so long I can't really remember and hindsight is a hell of a drug.

The history of DQ kind of suggests that SE would want to keep it on the cheapest to develop for and most ubiquitous platform so handheld/mobile made the most sense from a logical standpoint. Even with its huge install base I'm still not sure if DQXI PS4 would have happened without Horii's insistence.

MH (and Capcom) isn't nearly as predictable in terms of what direction it would go. Capcom has made some very risky decisions with their franchises in the past so nothing is off the table.

BadWolf

One factor that keeps me quite skeptical about this rumor is that Capcom has already announced MHF for PS4. If they do release MH5 then they would cannibalize e/a.

Verendus:

Monster Hunter PS4, I think I was caught by Chobel in January when I posted it, and edited it. But it's been leaked from the looks of it anyway. That's your upcoming MH PS4 game. However, it's not the only one. SCEJ/A has been discussing with Capcom about bringing more Monster Hunter to PS4 for a while, and for the most part, the only thing I can say is things are looking pretty good on that front. Please be excited. Although, check your expectations a little if you're expecting some massive effort. We're just fitting in what exists, rather than trying to create something new.

MacTag

Banned
I'm not sure what you are trying to argue here then because Capcom has different ideas. A game shipping 1 million copies in the west is not a known quantity to the mainstream and Capcom clearly wants it to be just that as we see by the thread topic.
Outside RE and MH Capcom doesn't even have any franchises that ship 3m+ worldwide these days (thnx SFV/DmC/DR3). 1 million is huge for them, so huge in fact they promote any titles that reach the figure on their investor site.

mikeyvids

Neo Member

If the goal is more sales in the west - set it in eerie medieval fantasy Europe, use baroque music, mute the armor / weapons color palette, replace models with Dark Souls series. For a game that is very much based around Japanese culture to be more successful in the west you need to basically kill the theme and build it around what the western market wants. I think it's extreme and absurd.

If the goal is to preserve the franchise try what Fire Emblem Fates did. Have 2 MH games one a true sequel and one set in a western style fantasy setting. They share the same gameplay but weapons, monsters and setting are different from each other.

Sterok

Dragon Quest XI for 3DS/PS4 was easy to predict once you read Horii's comments and remembered that the 3DS is the only place it can really sell. At least it was easy for me.

Capcom is stupid enough to pull a stunt like that, but since XX (will Double Cross be a prophetic name?) was announced in a Nintendo Direct, Nintendo should be confident the series has a future on their systems. Not even Nintendo is dumb enough to promote a series that's about to jump ship.

PS4 Monster Hunter would be lucky to sell 500K in Japan based on how hunting games on consoles have done in the past, and consoles aren't exactly a growth market there. So making a PS4 exclusive MH for Japan would be dumb on Capcom's part, but again it would not be out of character for them to try for the magic western sales.

Hellraider

MH (and Capcom) isn't nearly as predictable in terms of what direction it would go. Capcom has made some very risky decisions with their franchises in the past so nothing is off the table.

Monster Hunter hasn't had a risky decision since... ever? Monster hunter has been an extremely safe series, with every installment coming in out the most popular platform, in japan, that could handle it.

MH isn't a known brand. It is. I don't see how shipping a million isn't known. It's not huge but they arent starting so far from scratch that they need to make it mainline to garner interest. That was the original point. It really doesnt have to be mainline because the brand is defined by gameplay. Prople in the west know what it is. Capcom's point is thy think handhelds limit sales potential in the west. There point wasn't that they have no brand awareness.

As I said before. You think if they call it MHGen2 gamers will suddenly lose interest? It's just not realistic.

I then clarified. Considering generations is a spinoff its not like the distinction means anything currently so I could see them calling it mainline.

Tom_Cody

Monster Hunter started on consoles and was a moderate success, went to portables and became a huge success.

There's no reason to think they won't try get more out of the franchise on consoles, but they aren't going to incinerate the portable-MH cash cow in the process.

Ridley327

Nothing new, Verendus said that ages ago, and Capcom has the online spin-offs that can be easily ported. (isn't Frontier already available for PS4?)

No, it's out next Saturday. Sadly, we already know that MHFO2 was straight-up cancelled, so that's already one off of that list.

Monster Hunter hasn't had a risky decision since... ever? Monster hunter has been an extremely safe series, with every installment coming in out the most popular platform, in japan, that could handle it.
You don't think moving the series from Sony exclusive to Nintendo exclusive was risky at the time? It seems like a no-brainer now but I remember thinking leaving those 5 million sales behind on PSP seemed crazy back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom