• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to grow Monster Hunter in West, feels handhelds are limiting sales there

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS4 Monster Hunter would be lucky to sell 500K in Japan based on how hunting games on consoles have done in the past.
I'm not suggesting anything about how MH will sell on PS4 because I have no clue but using Toukiden as a measurement of how MH would perform seems pointless.

Hellraider

You don't think moving the series from Sony exclusive to Nintendo exclusive was risky at the time? It seems like a no-brainer now but I remember thinking leaving those 5 million sales behind on PSP seemed crazy back then.

You weren't leaving behind 5 million sales because the fanbase wouldn't magically transition to the next handheld generation. The question that Capcom had to answer wasn't PSP or 3DS. It was 3DS or PSV. And they were wise. They also at the same time merged the mainline with the portable series which was also another safe tactic since handhelds were a lot more successful and where Monster Hunter found its home.

sanstesy

MH isn't a known brand. It is. I don't see how shipping a million isn't known. It's not huge but they arent starting so far from scratch that they need to make it mainline to garner interest. That was the original point. It really doesnt have to be mainline because the brand is defined by gameplay. Prople in the west know what it is. Capcom's point is thy think handhelds limit sales potential in the west. There point wasn't that they have no brand awareness.

As I said before. You think if they call it MHGen2 gamers will suddenly lose interest? It's just not realistic.

I then clarified. Considering generations is a spinoff its not like the distinction means anything currently so I could see them calling it mainline.

Monter Hunter is not close to being a known quantity among anyone in the PS4/XBO/PC crowd, which is what this supposed game will be on. Monster Hunter being a "known quantity" in today's Nintendo eco-system is not a known quantity period, especially one that only ships 1 million in the west.

These people won't know what Monster Hunter is and they won't know that gameplay defines the brand, not the brand the gameplay. These are the potential misconceptions I am talking about that Sony/Capcom probably don't want anything do with when marketing this game primarily focused at the general action-adventure audience in the west.

Monter Hunter is not close to being a known quantity among anyone in the PS4/XBO/PC crowd, which is what this supposed game will be on. Monster Hunter being a "known quantity" in today's Nintendo eco-system is not a known quantity period, especially one that only ships 1 million in the west.

These people won't know what Monster Hunter is and they won't know that gameplay defines the brand, not the brand the gameplay. These are the potential misconceptions I am talking about that Sony/Capcom probably don't want anything do with when marketing this game primarily focused at the general action-adventure audience in the west.

You think calling it Monster Hunter 5 fixes any of what you're saying even if I entertain the series is not known (which I wont but its a waste of time arguing with you on that)

The entirety of your argument frames that they can call it w/e the fuck they want because pparently no one knows what it is :/

Certainly a possibility. You think Sony money hatted it though?

As I said. They have to go to consoles eventually. Handhelds are dying. I just don't see why they would want to split the franchise like that.

I don't believe that rumour at all. I'm just going off from what Capcom has said in the OP.

SFV has legs so strong it's gonna sell for centuries to come.

I think that only works if they distinguish the two lines enough, which would be possible if the console version was aimed at the West.

They have Portable series for a reason ;)

RE5 launched in 2009, by that point things were already set and base building windows were closed. RE5 actually reflects 3rd parties pushing ahead despite market trends, it wasn't a result of market trends deciding where it went. Fortunately it was a case that worked out in the end even if Capcom left money on the table with Wii.

RE5 decision was made with a precedent of history as well as market conditions. Laughing at Capcom leaving money on the table when RE5 outsold any effort on the Wii numerous times over. Porting would be a hassle as well.

I've looked at KT's results, 75% of their worldwide sales still come from Japan and their only real western success stories this gen are Hyrule Warriors and free DOA5LR downloads. KT's actually a great source for dispelling the recovering lost sales in Asia myth PS4 proponents love to push concerning Japan, given they're one of the few publishers to actually give regional totals (Asia was just over 10% last quarter, beating both NA and EU for the first time).

Then considering how much of their software is on PS4 and with such segments continuing to rise and their continued support of the PS4 system in the future, under what basis do you say KT are not happy/successful with PS4?

And I'm not sidestepping but I'm also not wasting my time. You don't need me to tell you DQ Heroes, Tales of Zesteria PS4 and Disgaea 5 all did under 50k their first NPD when we both know you already know that and even argued against it before. Meanwhile you haven't provided any sources from publishers talking about their amazing PS4 specific sales?

Yes you are. You claimed JP third parties have little to no success on PS4. I listed pretty much all major JP titles on PS4 to which you tried to make a half assed reply, with no basis on sales figure.

Naruto - 1.3 million shipped 1 week, biggest NPD debut
DBZ XV - 4 million shipped
MGSV - 6 million shipped in 3 months
Bloodborne - 2 million sold in 5 months
RER2 - 2 million
FFType-0HD - 1 million shipped first month

You also seem to feign ignorance on the context of sales in the case of D5/DQ/ToZ. Both performed in line with series expectations looking solely at NPD debut sales.

The sources are the publishers themselves. Their continued support of the platform, even producing exclusive titles for the PS4, alongside released sales figures and mentions in their reports (for instance SE 2015 AR) paints a clear enough message for anyone of their satisfaction.

sanstesy

You think calling it Monster Hunter 5 fixes any of what you're saying even if I entertain the series is not known (which I wont but its a waste of time arguing with you on that)

The entirety of your argument frames that they can call it w/e the fuck they want because pparently no one knows what it is :/

Yes, it says this is the flagship title of this series part 5 and not a spin-off. Like, I'm not saying they couldn't just do a spin-off, but I can totally see the reasoning behind giving it a mainline title as well. Also it's a fact it's not known close enough to where Capcom wants it be in terms of brand awareness and sales.

My argument is being framed as; misconceptions can happen and Capcom/Sony maybe don't want any of these to potentially happen, no matter how small the chance is.

KTallguy

Banned
A big fat "duh".

Bite the bullet and make MH for a next gen console. You've been using the same models for like 8 years now.

Da-Kid

To be honest I doubt being on PS4 or XONE will move sales, and it would probably be dead in Japan. I think even with the NS having no userbase that it would still do better than both in Japan. They love their handhelds and NS is a portable home console.

As far as the west, since Monster Hunter is so untangled with Nintendo, I think it would do better on the NS as well, especially if they release amiibo's.

Sterok

I'm not suggesting anything about how MH will sell on PS4 because I have no clue but using Toukiden as a measurement of how MH would perform seems pointless.

Past console MH underperforming compared to portable entries + recent console hunting games bombing + Japan's console market being stillborn = don't need a fortune teller to guess the ceiling.

Espada

If they want to grow in the West, that pretty much confirms PS4.

Oh my God, PS4 Monster Hunter... thanks God.

Seriously, if Capcom isn't satisfying with the series' sales while being a 99% handheld franchise the logical step for expansion in the West is home consoles. My question is what brought about this desire to grow the brand overseas, knowing that with it comes the increased development cost that comes with developing for modern consoles.

Jawmuncher

A RE5 demake for wii would have done much better than the demake they did of Dead Rising. I'd have been really curious to see that. You'd have thought they'd consider with the RE4 success.

Memento

To be honest I doubt being on PS4 or XONE will move sales, and it would probably be dead in Japan. I think even with the NS having no userbase that it would still do better than both in Japan. They love their handhelds and NS is a portable home console.

As far as the west, since Monster Hunter is so untangled with Nintendo, I think it would do better on the NS as well, especially if they release amiibo's.

It would be multiplatform. PS4 and Switch, maybe PC too. Xbox One I see no reason though.

A RE5 demake for wii would have done much better than the demake they did of Dead Rising. I'd have been really curious to see that. You'd have thought they'd consider with the RE4 success.
Dude, don't you remember? Jun Takeuchi said they probably couldn't even make RE5's menu run on the Wii.

An RE5 demake would have been cool to see on Wii for sure.

Darkangel

I'd say the only way it doesn't show up on the Switch is if Sony pays for exclusivity. PS4 to Switch porting is supposedly straight forward, and they'll need a portable presence for Japan.

I don't believe that rumour at all. I'm just going off from what Capcom has said in the OP..

I remember talking about this with you in a media create thread. I honestly expect console MH but I dont know what form to expect it.

I honestly thought 4U would get a WiiU and PS4 port (I held out literally 1 until generations to buy a 3DS because of it) When it didnt happen it made me skeptical about the series appearing as mainline on consoles.

I'm still pretty interested in how its going down.

Yes, it says this is the flagship title of this series part 5 and not a spin-off. Like, I'm not saying they couldn't just do a spin-off, but I can totally see the reasoning behind giving it a mainline title as well.

You cannot both say that MH is not known by the PS4/X1/PC crowd at all but then maintain the naming convention actually matters then. Do you not see the flaw in presenting that logic?

If they dont know what it is, why does it matter what you call it?

But anyway. Agree to disagree because this is going no where.

Ridley327

Dude, don't you remember? Jun Takeuchi said they probably couldn't even make RE5's menu run on the Wii.

An RE5 demake would have been cool to see on Wii for sure.

Which I always thought was hilarious, since the RE5 menu is such a blatant Metroid Prime ripoff.

- Talks about Monster Hunter 4 G's sales are being lower in the West compared to Japan, but is explained that it is due to the fact that the handheld market is only 10% of the dedicated video game market compared to Japan where handhelds are popular, and that they are taking the proper procedures to make sure that Monster Hunter grows overseas
So it took them how long? The entire life span of the MH franchise to realize this?

I don't understand the people saying only Switch makes sense. Y'all forgotten Wii U and MH3U? I doubt Switch will bomb or do as badly as Wii U, but if they're looking to use consoles as a platform for increasing brand strength in the west, locking future games to Switch makes zero sense.

Past console MH underperforming compared to portable entries + recent console hunting games bombing + Japan's console market being stillborn = don't need a fortune teller to guess the ceiling.

Well according to some people in here Wii MHtri wasnt a complete bomb... I think it was a compromised game that didnt represent the best of what it could have been

It came out in the 360/PS3 era, wasnt HD, has a bullshit accesory for Voice chat that barely worked... Just compromised in so many ways and still sold 800K global

MH3U for WiiU... Best console effort to date. Had it all..... was on WiiU... which people didnt buy in the numbers one would expect coming from Wii

Cmon now

We have NEVER had an excellent Flagship Console title without something holding it back.

I say we have never given Monster Hunter a real chance to find its audience in the console space

I'd say the only way it doesn't show up on the Switch is if Sony pays for exclusivity. PS4 to Switch porting is supposedly straight forward, and they'll need a portable presence for Japan.

Dude even the 4 chan rumor suggest that they just use Dual Branding to split the titles on multiple systems. Exactly the thing they did with Sony and Nintendo during the 3rd generation of Monster Hunter

No way they are doing anything less with the series than expanding its reach at this point

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You sure? Okay then.

- Sony signed a deal with Capcom last year for MH5 on PS4/PC, specifically excluding Switch. A lot like the SFV contract excludes XBO. Sony paid a lot.
- MH5 is an open-world game aimed at Westerners, with a lot of streamlined gameplay - no timer, no missions, less gathering and prep, more action based, QTEs, less complicated and fewer weapons. 2018.
- Someone at Capcom leaked the deal to Nintendo. Nintendo have been quiet.
- MHX did way better in Japan and the West than Capcom expected, causing a bunch of people at Capcom to panic.
- A bunch of people at Capcom are worried MH5 for PS4 is being rushed out with too little content (monsters, weapons, balance) and will bomb like SFV.
- MH Portable series is getting resurrected for Switch, headed by main MH team, because Capcom don't expect MH5 to do well in Japan. Traditional MH game - new weapons and environmental stuff, some elements from MHX. 2018.
- MHXX is getting a Switch port to set up for Portable.

Wouldn't this mean that MH Portable is actually MH5 (as it is continuing the main games style and gameplay) and the supposed PS4/PC game is actually a spin-off targeted more towards the western audience? The other way around makes no sense.

Pejo

A proper MH in HD on PS4 is one of my dream games. The assets are already started at least with MHO, which can look really good. The important thing is that the animation and "feel" of the game stay in-tact, which I'm confident Capcom can do.

Man I'm really optimistic with this news.

sanstesy

You cannot both say that MH is not known by the PS4/X1/PC crowd at all but then maintain the naming convention actually matters then. Do you not see the flaw in presenting that logic?

If they dont know what it is, why does it matter what you call it?

But anyway. Agree to disagree because this is going no where.

Either agree to disagree or continue arguing, nothing in between dude.

There is no flaw in that logic because that is how marketing works for every product in this world. When something is presented as a spin-off, to a new audience that can create misconceptions when people in the known start discussing the product and compare it to the mainline title (that would be on the Switch supposedly). People will take it maybe less serious, don't take it as a serious effort from Capcom to expand Monster Hunter to the west, etc. as in a lot of worry goes into making something the main representative of your franchise. It's not complicated at all and it is exactly the reason why terms like mainline and spin-off properties exist in the first place.

Eolz

Wouldn't this mean that MH Portable is actually MH5 (as it is continuing the main games style and gameplay) and the supposed PS4/PC game is actually a spin-off targeted more towards the western audience? The other way around makes no sense.

If it was the other way around, nobody on /v/ would have cared, and nobody here would have made a thread about it.

Verendus

Banned
I'm pretty sure many, many experts on here already excluded the possibilty of Monster Hunter ever appearing on PS4 as it's a Nintendo franchise. It has been repeated time and time again. We can safely ignore any comments Capcom makes.

But if they want America, then there is one place to be. And it's Xbox. Phil-sensei is waiting. The comeback kid is going to make the greatest comeback.

I think with NS technically being in the same ballpark of hardware as the PS4/X1, this isn't an either/or decision. Put it on everything (including PC), see where the sales pan out. If the sales are skewed noticeably, they can drop platforms as needed.

A hardcore online-focused action rpg doing better on a Nintendo console than on the PS4 in the West is not a bet I'd be willing to make, btw.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Psst Capcom, hey, over here.

Dark Souls does pretty well on PC. *wink wink*

wink.gif

Man, Capcom is so fucked up. Now that Switch is on the horizon they are moving (possibly, maybe, probably not) mainline MH away from handhelds?

With Switch a thing, I would want it on Switch. (And Steam, and PS4, and XB1)

Eolz

I'm pretty sure many, many experts on here already excluded the possibilty of Monster Hunter ever appearing on PS4 as it's a Nintendo franchise. It has been repeated time and time again. We can safely ignore any comments Capcom makes.

But if they want America, then there is one place to be. And it's Xbox. Phil-sensei is waiting. The comeback kid is going to make the greatest comeback.

I know you're joking, but like last time you refused to reply about the kind of MonHun, there's a big difference between mainline, Frontier, and other mediocre spinoffs.
But hey, MonHun is on Vita, right?

Man, Capcom is so fucked up. Now that Switch is on the horizon they are moving (possibly, maybe, probably not) mainline MH away from handhelds?

We dont know

All we can take away from this is that they are likely planning on expanding the MH franchise

I dont expect them to drop their Nintendo partnership. Switch will get games... they just wont be the exclusive place to play Monster Hunter

Either agree to disagree or continue arguing, nothing in between dude.

There is no flaw in that logic because that is how marketing works for every product in this world. When something is presented as a spin-off, to a new audience that can create misconceptions when people in the known start discussing the product and compare it to the mainline title (that would be on the Switch supposedly). People will take it maybe less serious, don't take it as a serious effort from Capcom to expand Monster Hunter to the west, etc. as in a lot of worry goes into making something the main representative of your franchise. It's not complicated at all and it is exactly the reason why terms like mainline and spin-off properties exist in the first place.

Compare Generations to 4U and explain where the confusion would come from for a new audience? This is literally the most direct comparison you will ever get and I literally have no idea why you arent considering it valid.

And spinoffs can sell more than mainline titles. Generations outsold Tri didn't it? And I'm talking about the West where Wii easily outsold the 3DS for that comparison. Mario Kart outsells mainline Mario doesn't it?

Anyway. As I said. We simply disagree. I'm not saying your point is wrong. I just dont actually agree that it matters whether something is a spinoff but rather what the product actually is.

Monster Hunter 5 is going to be an HD game regardless of what platform it hits, so I don't see a reason to be concerned that we are not getting an HD monster hunter.

MH doing better on handhelds is true, but we currently have no portable only systems beyond mobile. They will have to move on regardless. Hunting action titles like God Eater and Toukiden have made moves to be a console first game regardless on the install base. Like it or not, this doesn't limit capcom from trying despite the results.

It's a question right now of if it's going to be multiplatform or still exclusive and to what. (Xbox I have serious doubts on)

BadWolf

Switch needs to succeed before it becomes part of the equation.

I honestly don't care what system Monster Hunter will be on. However, if they end up dumbing down Monster Hunter and stripping the things that defines the series for the West I'll be fucking pissed.

Then again I shouldn't be surprised if they went this route because its Capcom, especially after what they did with SFV.

If they want to grow in the West, that pretty much confirms PS4.

Oh my God, PS4 Monster Hunter... thanks God.

I know, right? Looking forward to the PSX announcement.
Someone in the know did say it was going to be very Japanese centered. I bet one of the big reveals will be MH on PS4.

You sure? Okay then.

- Sony signed a deal with Capcom last year for MH5 on PS4/PC, specifically excluding Switch. A lot like the SFV contract excludes XBO. Sony paid a lot.
- MH5 is an open-world game aimed at Westerners, with a lot of streamlined gameplay - no timer, no missions, less gathering and prep, more action based, QTEs, less complicated and fewer weapons. 2018.
- Someone at Capcom leaked the deal to Nintendo. Nintendo have been quiet.
- MHX did way better in Japan and the West than Capcom expected, causing a bunch of people at Capcom to panic.
- A bunch of people at Capcom are worried MH5 for PS4 is being rushed out with too little content (monsters, weapons, balance) and will bomb like SFV.
- MH Portable series is getting resurrected for Switch, headed by main MH team, because Capcom don't expect MH5 to do well in Japan. Traditional MH game - new weapons and environmental stuff, some elements from MHX. 2018.
- MHXX is getting a Switch port to set up for Portable.

This sounds absolutely, positively insane.

Which is why I believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom