• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to keep working with Ninja Theory, lock them down

If the sales aren't there, you have to look forward as well as back. I think Dante's characterization has a lot to do with making him "hot with a bit of sexy". He looks like a Twilight guy. I'm not saying they're trying to make Twilight, but white haired Dante isn't todays hot look. And Ninja Theory seems like a devloper that's not 100 on the mark with gaming, but pretty solid and they're really good with characters. And I'm guessing Capcom saw that and their passion for DMC in general and said "snatch em up!"

If anything I applaud Capcom for being forward thinking.

Giving your IP to a developer which biggest hit was HS who sold 1 million copies is not forward thinking is the same mindset that destroyed already other japanese IP's.

Maybe they were looking at the profit numbers? Capcom has quite a bit more data than we do.

The team that worked on DMC4 didn't want to do DMC5 so they outsourced it. I'd wager we'd already have DMC5 if Itsuno didn't go work on Dragon's Dogma

Maybe they were looking at the profit numbers? Capcom has quite a bit more data than we do.

DMC4 was basically rushed and NT spend almost 3 years on DmC, with way more marketing money. DMC4 didn't even got a CG trailer that was showed it cinemas.

Probably. It probably sold the most but they couldn't justify it because of the budget needed for an HD version of DMC.

Sucks though, since the only bad thing about DMC 4 was the amount of backtracking you did in the game. Everything else was great.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Has everyone forgotten Devil May Cry 2? Capcom have a far from spotless record on their own internally developed entries, and lets be honest DMC4 wasn't nearly as good as DMC3 so its not even like 2 was the only deviation in a steady line of improvement.

For better or worse Capcom have rubber-stamped their approval on NT's revision, so who actually developed it is less significant than the publisher/IP holders franchise steering decisions.

Fantasmo

You applaud Capcom for taking classic characters and killing their design? Okay.
Again, killing the design for who? I remember playing DMC a long time ago around some friends and an ex and nobody liked him. We don't care because we're gamers. But Dante if you take just one step back, was fuckin weird. AND he was designed over ten years ago.

Tons of major characters have evolved over the years. But TRENDY ones NEED to evolve. Dante is trendy and cool for a lack of a better term and cool changes does it not? Dante is not equal to Mario. Cute doesn't change much. Cool and trendy does.

They kept old Dante around for ten years and for some reason his design was booted. I'm guessing it was the above. And I'm guessing it was decided due to both Ninja Theory and Capcom. How can we keep Dante similar and freshen him up a bit? Simple as that.

AJ_Wings

Let's not forget that one of the reasons we didn't get a DMC5 was Itsuno and the DMC4 team were busy with Dragon's Dogma. While I'm disappointed at the direction Capcom is going with DMC, at least we got a great game out of this whole mess.

dani_dc

If capcom plans to make DmC into a mid-budget franchise with a new release at every couple years, buying NT wouldn't be a bad call.

I'm not your enemy on this I assure you. I wouldn't buy DMC5 as I won't buy DMC reboot. I'm saying this decision was made after looking at the DMC sales numbers, and previous IP sales numbers history. Rather than potentially bury DMC with a potentially low sales release at the end of a generation, they decided to ask themselves key questions to figure out how to revitalize it and actually keep Dante around without having to resort to burying him for ten years. You and I both know Kamiya left Capcom. So does Capcom.

Î understand the logic of the decision, that does not mean they made the right one.
They made DmC because they wanted the franchise to grow in the west, so they hired a developer which was known for delivering games that were praised for their visual experience and criticized for their gameplay and that failed to sell well. This seemed like a bad decision to begin with for obvious reasons.

Regardless of that we know now that capcom punched some numbers in a machine last year and announced their sales expectations for DmC to 2 million units, well bellow the numbers of Devil May Cry 4, and below any other entry in the franhcise. Instead of a growth Capcom is now expecting the opposite.

Just because a big company made a decisions, one which I think most in this topic understand, doesn't mean that said decision was the right one. And in this particular event, even disregarding the quality of the game, it looks as if Capcom made the wrong call.

Obviously we won't know until we see actual sales numbers, but considering even Capcom expects the game to sell bellow previous DMC games, I think it's unlikely we'll see the opposite happening.

Valnen

Again, killing the design for who? I remember playing DMC a long time ago around some friends and an ex and nobody liked him. We don't care because we're gamers. But Dante if you take just one step back, was fuckin weird. AND he was designed over ten years ago.

Tons of major characters have evolved over the years. But TRENDY ones NEED to evolve. Dante is trendy and cool for a lack of a better term and cool changes does it not? Dante is not equal to Mario. Cute doesn't change much. Cool and trendy does.

They kept old Dante around for ten years and for some reason his design was booted. I'm guessing it was the above. And I'm guessing it was decided due to both Ninja Theory and Capcom. How can we keep Dante similar and freshen him up a bit? Simple as that.

Dante is iconic. He IS on the level of Mario or any other instantly recognizable character as far as I'm concerned. They ruined him. There's no way around that. I don't care what reasoning they had, it can't justify it.

I would love for NT to make DmC2.... but I also LOVE to see them making their own games like Heavenly Sword and Enslaved.

I want HS2 and Enslaved 2 first :(

Fantasmo

Î understand the logic of the decision, that does not mean they made the right one.
They made DmC because they wanted the franchise to grow in the west, so they hired a developer which was known for delivering games that were praised for their visual experience and criticized for their gameplay and that failed to sell well. This seemed like a bad decision to begin with for obvious reasons.

Regardless of that we know now that capcom punched some numbers in a machine last year and announced their sales expectations for DmC to 2 million units, well bellow the numbers of Devil May Cry 4, and below any other entry in the franhcise. Instead of a growth Capcom is now expecting the opposite.

Just because a big company made a decisions, one which I think most in this topic understand, doesn't mean that said decision was the right one. And in this particular event, even disregarding the quality of the game, it looks as if Capcom made the wrong call.

Obviously we won't know until we see actual sales numbers, but considering even Capcom expects the game to sell bellow previous DMC games, I think it's unlikely we'll see the opposite happening.
You and I are in the same boat. I don't know what will happen either. But with Japan being a lower source of sales and an influx of competitors in Platinum Games and probably their foresight into both losing Kamiya and therefore the feel of old DMC they decided to let NT go forward with their own passion while retaining elements of DMC that they loved. Its an experiment for them as much as you. They're probably afraid of taking Kamiya head on and beating him at his own game. So what better way than giving NT a little more leeway. It might work it might not, but its better than giving NT something they weren't passionate about.

Again, Dante's character changed a bunch in every game. His visual design is directly linked to the aesthetics and mechanics of the game itself, not just some lego piece to pop in for maximum marketability.

NT changed him to a generic dude because it was afraid of Dante alienating people, not actually trying to make him an interesting character. They straight up took the dude from the Star Wars prequels.

Capcom fucked up, plain and simple.

Fantasmo

Dante is iconic. He IS on the level of Mario or any other instantly recognizable character as far as I'm concerned. They ruined him. There's no way around that. I don't care what reasoning they had, it can't justify it.
If you think he's iconic and relevant then we'll have to agree to disagree. I loved him ten years ago, today not so much. He's stale to me.

Mit-

They gave DMC away because it was a profitable franchise that they were doing nothing with because all the developers were tied up with Dragon's Dogma.

It worked. This game is going to sell well. The die hards that care/know about things like 60fps and particular combat elements don't make up the bulk of sales for the series I'm sure. DmC is going to sell well. It will have a sequel. Capcom have finally successfully outsourced a game (RE: ORC was a failure and I'm sure Lost Planet will be as well). You don't have to wait until the game comes out to know this. Reviews so far are good. Pre-orders are going well. People are excited.

Old Dante is gone for good.

dionysus

Yaldog
Before tar and feathering Capcom, one must consider the realities of third party development. First, it has been a bloodbath for third party developers and the pool is smaller. Second, the third party developers who have great track records and sales get to choose there own projects and often own their own IP. They won't work on Capcom's franchises. Third, not all developers are available all the time. Only a limited number are looking for work on any given time.

Top tier developers aren't going to work on DMC.

Fantasmo

Again, Dante's character changed a bunch in every game. His visual design is directly linked to the aesthetics and mechanics of the game itself, not just some lego piece to pop in for maximum marketability.

NT changed him to a generic dude because it was afraid of Dante alienating people, not actually trying to make him an interesting character. They straight up took the dude from the Star Wars prequels.

Capcom fucked up, plain and simple.
They dressed him up in Diesel clothes for one of the iterations. He's trendy so they gave him a bath. Again, I'm not your enemy on this. NT wants to come out fighting and Capcom is giving them a title bout. Wait and see.

I am certain Capcom is not above trashing new DMC and going back to the old one if it fails.

Ok I love the DMC series, and I get why DmC has so much hate, but damn if the DMC fanbase don't act like whiny children. y'all need to think of better ways to combat DmC than acting like babies.

Capcom busy with MonHun 4,
Jouranalist approaches : so Capcom why do you think of Ninja Theory's DmC
Capcom: oh Huh, um yeah good game gaijin company Ninja Idea is very good at making games we'll give them more franchise to work with like RE and Megaman, (goes back to work on MonHun 4)
Jornalist: So What will your company do?
Capcom: No answer.

Ninja Theory get 7/10. You will like working with these game developers if you like working with people like this. They have worked hard to deliver the feel of a top quality game developer while being available to work for Capcom.

Crawl

Great news I really like ninja theory's past games. Its good to see another independent developer staying in business. Do you really want capcom to use spark unlimited instead?

Not sure why there are so many people down on Ninja Theory, because they changed dante's hair color? Get over it already.

jett

D-Member

raredaigofootage3u4c.gif

I haven't read any criticisms from fans of the game, but boy they sure need to just eat Capcom's shit and take it like a man! Buncha babies I tell ya!

Again. DMC is one of my favorite series of all time. DMC1 is my favorite game of all time, but no man. You cannot compare Datne to Mario.

Zomba13

Ok I love the DMC series, and I get why DmC has so much hate, but damn if the DMC fanbase don't act like whiny children. y'all need to think of better ways to combat DmC than acting like babies.

What other ways are there other than not buying it and voicing displeasure?

Erethian

The same data that told them Dark Void, Lost Planet 2, Bionic Commando, and SFxTK were all great ideas?

Companies are not infallible, and to say they are is not only false but a poor way of avoiding actual discussion.

Great news I really like ninja theory's past games. Its good to see another independent developer staying in business. Do you really want capcom to use spark unlimited instead?

Not sure why there are so many people down on Ninja Theory, because they changed dante's hair color? Get over it already.

OK SO, I find myself hating both parties in this matter. God damn. Ignorance on one side, elitism on the other. Lose/lose.

Zomba13, no that is valid. Its just so overdone. Maybe not here exactly, but overall.

jett

D-Member
OK SO, I find myself hating both parties in this matter. God damn. Ignorance on one side, elitism on the other. Lose/lose.

Zomba13, no that is valid. Its just so overdone. Maybe not here exactly, but overall.

It's mostly ignorance on the "elitist" DMC side. The whole situation is the very definition of dogpiling.

Well the Devil May Cry series has sold around 10 million copies so his popularity is more akin to Fox, Shepard, Agent 47, Jak and Samus.

It's mostly ignorance on the "elitist" DMC side. The whole situation is the very definition of dogpiling.

No there is severe ignorance on the Ninja Theory side as well. More so I would argue.

"Not sure why there are so many people down on Ninja Theory, because they changed dante's hair color? Get over it already. "

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
One of my least fav game companies wants to buy one of my fav companies...oh goodie

I'll do this in the briefest way possible. Fundamentally this game is way more sluggish than dmc3 or 4, way less in depth, goes for flash over substance, while at the same time not looking as flashy. It is dumbed down. Broken in some aspects, such as Demon Dodge. Infinite aerials is not cool. Overall the gameplay is just not as tight, and the 60 fps wont help it when the game is designed around 30 fps. It is not a bad game, I am still looking forward to it, but the combat does not hold a candle to DMC 3 or 4. It is still competent though, but I get the fanbase's anger.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Give me that Ninja Theory Viewtiful Joe, Capcom.

Give it to me.

Well that's a new one

Didn't think I could hate anything more conceptually than the suggestion that NT should work on Onimusha but hey

They dressed him up in Diesel clothes for one of the iterations. He's trendy so they gave him a bath. Again, I'm not your enemy on this. NT wants to come out fighting and Capcom is giving them a title bout. Wait and see.

I am certain Capcom is not above trashing new DMC and going back to the old one if it fails.

Again, the issue isn't that they changed Dante. They deleted his storyline and then changed him badly. They could've rebuilt the whole game from the ground up around a new character, but they didn't even bother to do that much.

Atleast after this whole ordeal I wouldn't find the plight of RE or megaman fans so hilarious anymore (maybe a little). First they came for Resident Evil, and I didn't speak out because I didn't like Resident Evil. Then they came for Megaman, and I didn't speak out because I didn't like Megaman. Then they came for DMC, and now everyone's an ignorant fanboy.

Top Bottom