• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "We viewed Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes the way Disney does remaking its movies"

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Ellery

Wish they had properly finished RE3 Remake instead of starting out great with the game and then (did they outsource the game to a different studio?). Well basically the part after the first hour of Raccoon City starts to feel like it was extremely rushed.
Game was fun to play, but RE2 Remake was clearly the better game, because you can tell they clearly put a lot more hours and work into it.

No idea about the Disney comparison though. Capcom has always been great with their remakes. The Gamecube REmake was even better.

MMaRsu

Banned
tenor.gif

Why did Capcom made that comparison? Do they know that Disney remakes aren't liked or even hated? Look at any sort of internet discourse.
Except Disney's new Star Wars trilogy made me puke my 5th birthday cake, and Re2-3make are fucking awesome games

I think we often over analyze these one-liners from companies. Resident Evil 2 was GOTY contending for me. RE3 was a step back, but still a solid game.

Who cares all their thought-processes during creation?

Mabdia

So... Capcom tried to make these games sucks?!

I liked the Remakes. 2 was better and 3 was really fun to me.

MiguelItUp

Hmm... Well, the quality of RE2's remake definitely doesn't exist in RE3 IMO, lol. I'm not one of the people that thought it was AWFUL per se, but it definitely wasn't nearly as good.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Aladdin remake was fine (except Jafar and Iago).

Haters gonna hate.
They couldn't really mess it up
A story of a homeless boy that becomes a Sultan.....wait sorry.
A story of a Princess that becomes a Sultan

I think the whole point of the story went straight over their heads.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I feel like all these people working in the industry, especially in Japan, don't have the free time to notice the real world anymore. They are completely out of touch.

Why did Capcom made that comparison? Do they know that Disney remakes aren't liked or even hated? Look at any sort of internet discourse.
Pretty sure the people making these decisions are looking at their bank accounts instead of internet movie critics.

Like it or not Disney's strategy of re-selling old product in a new stream-friendly format is paying off, creatively bankrupt as it may be.

Reactions: Gp1

bargeparty

Turner adds: "It's been fascinating to see the success of the remakes and the impact they have had upon a new generation of gamers. The development team under Takeuchi-san viewed Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 exactly the way Disney does with its remaking of old movies -- to keep them feeling fresh, new and relevant. The audience picking up and playing Resident Evil 2 now wouldn't have been playing games or, in some cases, even born when it was originally released. However, by taking the core concept and modernising using structures and design that make the most of the current technology and getting rid of the old constraints, it has allowed for even more people to access the titles.

"There is now a group of 18 to 30 year-olds who can talk fondly about how Resident Evil 2 is one of their best gaming experiences. There will always be people concerned about the modernisation of these classic titles -- much like how I'll argue the Elton John soundtrack is better on the old Lion King -- but to be able to have more people access, enjoy and experience an old classic has to be a good thing."

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Capcom does enough and is capable of killing their franchise like Disney did with Star Wars.

Gp1

Almost always inferior to the original material almost in every way?

Poor choice of words by Capcom.

Lion King, Mulan and the first Alice are soulless; Aladin, Lady and tramp, Beauty and the Beast are way inferior to the originals. Dumbo and Alice 2 are beautiful but just plain bad movies in every other way.

I believe the only remakes that Disney didn't miss the point entirely are Christopher Robin, Cinderella and The 2014 jungle book.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
There used to be a time when I wouldn't be able to imagine myself not being a fan of Star Wars, but Disney made it easy for me. Why on earth would Capcom even consider taking cues from a garbage company?

Ah..........

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
I absolutely love RE3 remake but damn did they do my girl dirty. Instead of actual meaningful content in the base game, they spent it on the multiplayer content that died out quick.

I mean not even an alternate costume aside from the original one?

Last edited:
Not sure I like this analogy. Wasn’t most, if not all those Disney remakes considered inferior or worst than the originals? I definitely like RE2 and RE3 Remakes, but the amount of content cut changes made to RE3: Remake was perplexing. Not sure what’s going to happen to RE4: Remake now.

Who cares about internet discourse? Look at boxoffice numbers.
You mean the boxoffice numbers that are dead now due to the lockdowns?...

...or the Disney + numbers that aren't helping the VOD films on it very much because of the poor pricing structure?...

Anyway there are..."other" reasons you wouldn't want to compare yourself with Disney atm, for the most part.

SSfox

They cut too many iconic moments in RE3 Remake, and i hate so much the first 30 minutes where you bascially do nothing except hold analog stick upward, the game in itself is great if you put a side for a moment that it's a remake, but in reality it is remake, and seriousely no Park? No cemetery? No clocktower? They should have make it DLC for RE2 then maybe it would have been more OK (even tho that would be still dumb to see many iconic stuffs missing)

Hey Capcom i'm telling you, either you do a remake with a dignity and in a proper way like you did for RE1R and RE2R, or either you do nothing. If they plan to cut as much in RE4 remake i'm not gonna get the game until it's 10 or 15 bucks on sold.

I wish they viewed them the way Capcom remade Resident Evil.

That said, the RE2 remake still turned out excellent. RE3...not so much.

Top Bottom