• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's Deep Down (PS4) is an online game, TGS debut [Reading-RPG, online required]

I'll wait for TGS to hear more but It makes me wonder how "reliving memories" style game would work as always only.

I guess you don't relive events (like in Soul Sacrifice) but rather full life (seamless open world) of some character?

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
oOOQHKn.png

I just took this shot and I don't think it looks as bad as people are making it out to be, especially for a heavily compressed youtube video.

GameSeeker

Nice work Capcom! Way to take the hype for Deep Down from really high to zero in a single day.

The Official Capcom Hype Zero checklist:
1) Release a new trailer that's less than 20 secs of actual footage, so no one can figure out what you are showing
2) Make sure those 20 secs are significantly worse looking than what you have show before, so everyone is convinced the game has been down graded
3) Announce the game is always online
4) Announce the game is a memory reading RPG, so no one outside of Japan can figure out what you are talking about
5) Announce that the game will be featured at TGS two and 1/2 weeks before Gamescom, so everyone will forget about your game for a few weeks

vpance

I have a feeling the doubters will eat crow when it's finally revealed. New engine, new tech, voxel cone lighting, TBDR, fluid simulation, initial demo runs on a 570 yet will look like a PS2 game in the end? Yeah right.

Are you daft?

If you read the text coming from my post, you might find that I never said they were.

I was under the impression there was a single player experience that mandated an online connection with Deep Down -- which, if it were the case, would be the first of its kind on consoles. It appears now that the online requirement is because of the inherent mechanics of the game working online.. which is fine.

I'm still waiting for the console equivalent of Diablo III or Sim City which require a login to play the game, even though they do not have any truly significant online mechanics.

so you were just being daft, noted.

OryoN

I was never convinced that the content from the original trailer was actually running on PS4(I figured it was a hi-spec realtime target), but I'm surprised how 'bad' the new trailer looks, compressed or not.

I'm sure it will have moments where it shines, but I wish developers would just stop this BS. It's getting really old. They never come out saying we "hope" to reach this/that goal, they always give the impression that they're already there. Then comes the 'switch'. Luckily, I was well prepared, this time.

Ateron

What the hell is a "Memory Reading Rpg"?

It seems that the publishers will have their way. Even though the majority of the public showed them that they don't want always on consoles, they keep making always on games. I'm conflicted about this.

This games interests me, but these news bring it down a notch or two. I wouldn't mind if it was something to ENHANCE the singleplayer, like Demon/Dark Souls, or Dragon's Dogma, but not like this. Unless it's an MMO or something. I'm not too keen on not being able to play a game in the future just cause it bombed or they decided to shut down the servers.

The new screenshots are underwhelming but I believe it's due to compression, the game won't look that bad. Capcom can fuck up on a lot of things, but usually the graphical department is not one of them. It will look fine.

Can someone give some examples of other recent 'reading rpgs'?

What the hell is a "Memory Reading Rpg"?

It seems that the publishers will have their way. Even though the majority of the public showed them that they don't want always on consoles, they keep making always on games. I'm conflicted about this.

This games interests me, but these news bring it down a notch or two. I wouldn't mind if it was something to ENHANCE the singleplayer, like Demon/Dark Souls, or Dragon's Dogma, but not like this. Unless it's an MMO or something. I'm not too keen on not being able to play a game in the future just cause it bombed or they decided to shut down the servers.

The new screenshots are underwhelming but I believe it's due to compression, the game won't look that bad. Capcom can fuck up on a lot of things, but usually the graphical department is not one of them. It will look fine.

Wtf is READING RPG??

If Soul Sacrifice is anything to go by you will be reliving the life of a certain character through a book/scrool/journal from a perspective of completely unrelated character.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Seems actually a bit more interesting to me than the basic Dragons/Souls hybrid that the initial reveal showed.

Either way going to wait for some actual information/footage (TGS hopefully) before making a proper decision, there's simply not enough to go on at the moment.

Zenogias

Neo Member
Memory reading RPG you say? FFS...if you're gonna make up genres at least avoid making your game sound like homework...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It just feels strange to see the small japanese bit players like From, Atlus, and Platinum really to just be so absolutely pantsing the big players like Capcom and Square. I guess I'm pleased but... I went from ultra hyped on this game to having grave concerns.

I guess Dragon's Dogma got too many bad reviews to make them not want to go down that open world monster hunting stylish combat avenue fully again, so we get some half measure visual story paired with weird and honestly probably poorly thought out online only features. I could understand if this was a launch game maybe, something just rushed out to be a "hey look, Capcom still makes games" thing. But probably won't be.

All this while Dark Souls II comes out and possibly even a Demon's Souls 2. Its a bit embarassing really isn't it?

LtOrange

What if this game from a fundamental design level was built for online play? Always online would make sense and could be really interesting. If it is a Sim City situation then capcom deserves all the hate but I am going to wait till I write this one off.

Nice work Capcom! Way to take the hype for Deep Down from really high to zero in a single day.

1) Release a new trailer that's less than 20 secs of actual footage, so no one can figure out what you are showing
2) Make sure those 20 secs are significantly worse looking than what you have show before, so everyone is convinced the game has been down graded
4) Announce the game is a memory reading RPG, so no one outside of Japan can figure out what you are talking about
5) Announce that the game will be featured at TGS two and 1/2 weeks before Gamescom, so everyone will forget about your game for a few weeks

TGS is a month after gamescom.

Amir0x

Banned
It's a RPG where you read memories. At least that's what the genre name suggests in Japanese.

what in the universe @ these weird genre categories

"Reading-RPG" for a moment I thought this meant it was going to be a game where you read stuff and then typed things in to defeat enemies, like an RPG version of Typing of the Dead lol

I'm confused, this is a PS4 exclusive now?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

LOL.

Seriously.

Capcom are a bunch of fools and this game look looks like fucking shit.

pushBAK

If Soul Sacrifice is anything to go by you will be reliving the life of a certain character through a book/scrool/journal from a perspective of completely unrelated character.

Thank you, this raises my excitement for this game. I've always liked episodic-style games where the story is short, but engaging.

pushBAK

Sq59OEC.jpg

5nyaOnL.jpg

I think Skyrim looks better to be honest....just saying..

I wonder how quickly these cuts were put together. The bottom image looks alright. But, the top image looks it was thrown together in a few minutes.\\]

EDIT: Just watched the Panta Rhei tech demo, which shows some pretty robust tools. They could have easily thrown these cuts together which would explain why they look like shit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYuVI76s_cg&feature=youtu.be

Road

what in the universe @ these weird genre categories

"Reading-RPG" for a moment I thought this meant it was going to be a game where you read stuff and then typed things in to defeat enemies, like an RPG version of Typing of the Dead lol

I'm confused, this is a PS4 exclusive now?

Japan has this thing for making up your own genre.

For instance, Mind=0 is "Dark Stylish RPG". The Witch and the Hundred Knights is "Dark Fantasy Action RPG". Sometimes they are descriptive of the game -- Dragon's Crown: "2D Action RPG" -- other times they are simply nonsense -- Shining Blade: "RPG that resonates with the heart" or whatever.

I blame it all on Kojima with "Tactial Espionage Action".

Top Bottom