• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's ludicrous PSN DRM use is rearing its ugly head again in BCR2. Whoopee!

V_Ben

Banned
Shameless quote from the Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2 thread;

LegatoB said:
Hey guys, the store text for Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 on the PSN says that "You must log into the Playstation Network each time to play this game." That sure sounds like the way they did the online-only Final Fight PSN, too.

I'll be passing on this one on principle. I never would've bought Final Fight if they'd told me upfront, and this time they did.

GO CAPCOM. Honestly, bloody stupid. I don't want to have my internet on whenever I want to play a game. Urgh. At least they're telling people they're being nitwits upfront though.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This happens because of game sharing on the PS3 right?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
lol Capcom lol.

At least they put it in their store description this time. They didn't do that for Final Fight until weeks later

MoFuzz

tributetwo4eooo.gif

h3ro

So you can't play the game if your connection is out? Even if it's on the original machine that downloaded the game?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
h3ro said:
So you can't play the game if your connection is out? Even if it's on the original machine that downloaded the game?

Can't play the game if you're not connected to PSN. If you lose connection during gameplay, I believe you'll still be able to play, but you need to be connected to PSN to launch it.

So if your connection is dead, can't play. If PSN is down, can't play.

wsippel

Banned
spwolf said:
no, game doesnt have to allow for sharing.
People don't read licenses, though. Most people simply assume that you're free to share anything on PSN, even though the actual EULA clearly states that you're never allowed to share anything unless the license says otherwise. And I'm personally not aware of a single game that actually allows game sharing.

gunstarhero

Ug - was going to treat my PS3 to this instead of my 360 getting all the love... Not anymore Sony, not anymore. Hmph!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Oh boy, of all the ways you can mimic PC gaming, this is not the right one.

And this is just the beginning.

Skilletor

wsippel said:
People don't read licenses, though. Most people simply assume that you're free to share anything on PSN, even though the actual EULA clearly states that you're never allowed to share anything unless the license says otherwise. And I'm personally not aware of a single game that actually allows game sharing.

I think he means that developers have the option to not allow sharing at all with their games.

Was going to buy, now I'm not.

MoFuzz

Maybe if console gamers actually bought their games, they wouldn't get burdened with such intrusive DRM. Sorry, but that's just the way things are going nowadays folks, with rampant piracy and everything.

Take it easy, I'm kidding FFS.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I don't really see the big deal. Then again I have never felt "put out" by any companies use of DRM.

Mrbob

When will these companies learn screwing customers with lame DRM never works?

Bomb away now, BCR2. You don't deserve any sales.

wsippel

Banned
soldat7 said:
That's messed up.
Is it? I could share audio CDs, or DVDs - basically anything. But that doesn't mean I'm allowed to do so. The default PSN license states that you buy stuff for my own, personal use. That's as clear as it gets.

h3ro

Router said:
I don't really see the big deal. Then again I have never felt "put out" by any companies use of DRM.

Internet goes down. You can't play game on hard drive.

This makes sense to you.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
This better not catch on in the PlayStation Store. Being able to play all of my downloaded games whether or not I am online has led me to buy more games on PSN lately than XBLA. Too many times I have found myself locked out of most of my games on XBLA just because the internet was down.

PSN's setup with this issue is vastly superior to XBLA and I want it to stay that way.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
The Crimson Kid said:
This better not catch on in the PlayStation Store. Being able to play all of my downloaded games whether or not I am online has led me to buy more games on PSN lately than XBLA. Too many times I have found myself locked out of most of my games on XBLA just because the internet was down.

PSN's setup with this issue is vastly superior to XBLA and I want it to stay that way.

What ?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The Crimson Kid said:

You need to transfer your licenses on your new Xbox 360. It's somewhere on xbox.com

Will wait on sale on 360 version then. Thanks for the heads up.

It amazes me that instead of using a method simliar to the "you can't use it on another device within 24 hours of using it on another" rule they implemented on things like the Uncharted 2 beta. At least that shit doesn't fuck with people who aren't gamesharing it. In fact, gameshare groups would probably stay away from it due to the possible annoyance of going to start it up and being told to fuck off for 24 hours because it was played on another ps3. If you want to use some sort of DRM, that's probably the best middle ground between the two extremes, at least that I've seen implemented on PSN.

Kafel

Banned
godhandiscen said:
What is Capcom's excuse then?

piracy I'd guess

I don't know what's feasible on the PS3 now but Capcom seems to want that people keep paying for playing that game in the near future.

Top Bottom