• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's Svensson on AA Investigations 2 localization

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I hope it happens, I love the series amd it's one of the few times where I want to play every game/spin-off of a franchise. I also sincerely hope the game to be way much better than the mediocre AAI.

I hope it happens, I love the series amd it's one of the few times where I want to play every game/spin-off of a franchise. I also sincerely hope the game to be way much better than the mediocre AAI.

The general fan reaction is that it improves on the first AAI in every way.

They probably correctly realized that AAI2 would be incredibly hard to get out to retail by the time the localization was done.

The problem is that admitting that makes them look bad and greedy. So they lie. They lie and they lie and they like. And this can apply to basically...well, anything Capcom USA has said in the last two years.

More to the point, any claim that they are trying to get the game ported to 3DSware or something, even if it's 100% true, would absolutely fall on deaf ears. Capcom Japan won't do it because Capcom USA asked. Even if we assume that Capcom USA has been truthful for so long, it means they are at best massively misinformed and at worst incredibly incompetent. That is, as I said, assuming they are not lying.

At this point, just telling the truth of "It was a generational transition, no store would have taken it, direct orders would not have justified the cost, we're sorry but these are special circumstances that do not affect the future of the series," would be a smart move. But they won't, because they've dug in and they'd rather give a dismissive handwave of "We're still trying! :D" than the truth and a few weeks of furor over it.

I'm not going to say it's because they're assholes, but I will say they do their jobs badly whether they're lying or not.

Kusagari

They probably correctly realized that AAI2 would be incredibly hard to get out to retail by the time the localization was done.

The problem is that admitting that makes them look bad and greedy. So they lie. They lie and they lie and they like. And this can apply to basically...well, anything Capcom USA has said in the last two years.

More to the point, any claim that they are trying to get the game ported to 3DSware or something, even if it's 100% true, would absolutely fall on deaf ears. Capcom Japan won't do it because Capcom USA asked. Even if we assume that Capcom USA has been truthful for so long, it means they are at best massively misinformed and at worst incredibly incompetent. That is, as I said, assuming they are not lying.

At this point, just telling the truth of "It was a generational transition, no store would have taken it, direct orders would not have justified the cost, we're sorry but these are special circumstances that do not affect the future of the series," would be a smart move. But they won't, because they've dug in and they'd rather give a dismissive handwave of "We're still trying! :D" than the truth and a few weeks of furor over it.

I'm not going to say it's because they're assholes, but I will say they do their jobs badly whether they're lying or not.

Atlus got stores to take Devil Survivor 2 and you're telling me Capcom wouldn't have been able to get stores to carry this? Pretty much every store I go into still has a bigger DS than 3DS section.

They would have already had it out if they started translating it back when the game came out in Japan.

You think they'll just keep saying that they're still trying and to "be patient" indefinitely? It's been almost a year.

And Sven still makes a point to post in the AAI2 thread on the Capcom-Unity forums saying he's tracking the topic. It seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to if he's just prolonging some eventual let down. Especially when he's been so blunt before regarding other games.

Fuck off, Sven. You're one of the biggest goddamned liars this generation, so fuck you for trying to give people false hope.
You think they'll just keep saying that they're still trying and to "be patient" indefinitely? It's been almost a year.
I think that Sven would rather climb a tree and lie than stay on the ground and tell the truth.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Atlus got stores to take Devil Survivor 2 and you're telling me Capcom wouldn't have been able to get stores to carry this? Pretty much every store I go into still has a bigger DS than 3DS section.

They would have already had it out if they started translating it back when the game came out in Japan.
Stores would carry it, but it would probably sell like crap. Let's be honest here.

pa22word

You know part of me wishes he'd just say it's off and has no chance, and then privately work on bringing it over so some of the more ungrateful fans would stop slamming the guy for giving a fuck.

Hayeya

Banned
i though that this thread was about an investigation about the errors that capccopm is currently doing on their cases and pr,,,,, turns out its about Ace Atourney

Damnit Capcom. Put this shit to rest and release the damn game in some shape or form. I don't care anymore. Put it on cell phones for fucks sake as long as I can just watch it on youtube. I just wanna know what happens to my favorite characters and the story.

I was holding a sliver of hope at a surprise announcement at Captivate but I guess that isn't going to happen. If Sven is a liar like everyone says I hope he is lying about it not coming out anytime soon and are prepping for a surprise announcement.

Sven made some new comments on AAI2's chances for a US release during the last "Ask Capcom". Again he said that he's still pushing for it and the talks with Capcom Japan continue and that he's "encouraged" and "optimistic".

Though he did reiterate that it won't be in the near future and that a DS release is still not in the cards. (This is inline with what he had previously said.)

You can see the stream of the Ask Capcom here. (The AAI2 talk starts around 37:20.)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sven from Capcom made some new comments on AAI2's chances for a US release during the last "Ask Capcom". Again he said that he's still pushing for it and the talks with Capcom Japan continue and that he's "encouraged" and "optimistic".

Though he did reiterate that it won't be in the near future and that a DS release is still not in the cards. (This is inline with what he had previously said.)

You can see the stream of the Ask Capcom here. (The AAI2 talk starts around 37:20.)

Even though I'm obviously not happy we haven't gotten the game, I do really respect that Sven keeps pushing for Capcom to give us the game.

Wait, how does that explain Okamiden and Ghost Trick? They were released in the US around the time the 3DS was coming out, the "generational transition". Unless you mean they would never put out a game on the DS after the 3DS launch.

Bladenic

Still salty about this, fuck Crapcom. They've become one of the worst companies this generation. I wouldn't give a shit about them if I didn't badly desire RE6.

Wait, how does that explain Okamiden and Ghost Trick? They were released in the US around the time the 3DS was coming out, the "generational transition".

I don't know what else it could be. Maybe Capcom didn't want to release three DS games in close proximity, so it bet on the two games that didn't have an established, loyal audience.

Thanks for posting that. I can't watch the video atm, did they say anything else about other localizations or mention MH3G?

I'm listening to the rest of the stream right now, but nothing that interesting so far.

The only things that might be of some interest is that there will be no PC version of the DMC HD collection, and that Alien vs Predator re-release is probably not going to happen due to licensing. (No plans for a 3D Bionic Commando 2 either.)

Edit: I created a thread with a full recap here.

Hero

Fuck Capcom and fuck Sven. This is worse than Nintendo not releasing NPC Pikmin 2 on Wii for years.

Hero

Oh man. More non news. At least Sven still chooses to acknowledges it. If he wanted he could ignore it and never speak about it again.

Would it be better or worse if he never spoke about it until it was confirmed? Because he's just going to repeat himself that he's trying until it comes out, which gets more and more unlikely with each day that passes. The Ace Attorney fanbase was really dedicated and they slipped up majorly with this.

Would it be better or worse if he never spoke about it until it was confirmed? Because he's just going to repeat himself that he's trying until it comes out, which gets more and more unlikely with each day that passes. The Ace Attorney fanbase was really dedicated and they slipped up majorly with this.

Sven did say in the stream that they don't keep just keep telling us to be patient with MH (and other titles in general) just to string us along. He said he'd rather say as much as he's allowed to as opposed to saying nothing at all. (He doesn't like "silence".)

Cactus

Banned

If they actually have no plans to localize it, answers like his serve no purpose. It would be better to just flat-out admit that it's not coming like Sega did with Valkyria Chronicles 3 rather than slowly foster anger and resentment among Ace Attorney fans.

If the game is actually comes out, all will be forgiven.

yurinka

I think they're maybe waiting the iOS, Android and Vita ports before releasing it here translated. Maybe as a single SKU isn't profitable, but with all the other cheap ports combined maybe it makes sense to release it here.

Hero

Sven did say in the stream that they don't keep just keep telling us to be patient with MH (and other titles in general) just to string us along. He said he'd rather say as much as he's allowed to as opposed to saying nothing at all. (He doesn't like "silence".)

It's been over a year since the Japanese release, this type of communication isn't really that much better than silence.

If they actually have no plans to localize it, answers like his serve no purpose. It would be better to just flat-out admit that it's not coming like Sega did with Valkyria Chronicles 3 rather than slowly foster anger and resentment among Ace Attorney fans.

If the game is actually comes out, all will be forgiven.

Yeah, I agree with this.

I think they're maybe waiting the iOS, Android and Vita ports before releasing it here translated. Maybe as a single SKU isn't profitable, but with all the other cheap ports combined maybe it makes sense to release it here.

Could be, at least they could flat out say that.

Boney

Banned
we're still trying!

profile.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they are going to ignore the 3DS as well.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Fuck, Capcom. Just eShop the damn thing and be done with it.
Or DSiWare it, if you must. Stupid bastards.
If XSeed can do it for a niche RPG, you sure can for the franchise fans that have stuck through this series over the years.

Cactus

Banned
Fuck, Capcom. Just eShop the damn thing and be done with it.
Or DSiWare it, if you must. Stupid bastards.
If XSeed can do it for a niche RPG, you sure can for the franchise fans that have stuck through this series over the years.

It's too bad certain companies prefer not to allow other companies to localize/publish/distribute their titles. I mean, if Nintendo is allowing XSeed to publish The Last Story, why can't Capcom give AAI2 to Atlus/XSeed/whoever??

Salsa

Should we assume we’re not getting Ace Attorney Investigations 2 here in the U.S.?

It is still an open discussion point. I’ll never say never, but I also won’t say it’s going to happen. I haven’t let go of that bone, and I hope the fans are still patient with us.

tumblr_m1z4mgXoRe1r12ugbo2_500.gif

BurntPork

Banned
Sven made some new comments on AAI2's chances for a US release during the last "Ask Capcom". Again he said that he's still pushing for it and the talks with Capcom Japan continue and that he's "encouraged" and "optimistic".

I think a move to the 3DS eShop would be good for everyone.

we're still trying!

profile.jpg
I hate that goddamn pig. >:|
Sven needs to learn that sometimes saying nothing is better than spouting bullshit, to try and keep fans calm.

Top Bottom