• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Disillusion - Flight of the Navigator

Not sure why this guy popped up in my YouTube recommendations, but his channel is really cool. Captain Disillusion is focusing on explaining the work that goes into creating special effects for movies. His videos are also well edited and chock-full of great special effects, showing that he doesn't only know the theory behind it but is also capable of practicing the craft himself. He does an excellent job at explaining the inner-workings of these special effects for the layman.

In one of his recent videos he is detailing the insane work that went into creating the effects for an 80's kids movie Flight of the Navigator:

It's not the best movie ever made, but it holds a special place in my heart. So it was not only interesting to revisit that movie but also take a peek behind the curtains. In order to create the spaceship they had to create two different full size models as well as build their own custom super-computer. I still find it hard to believe how much craftsmanship went into the production of that movie, it's mind-blowing.

Somehow I get the impression that the easy availability of digital effects has had a hugely detrimental effect on the care, creativity and love that goes into modern films.

His two-part series on Back to the Future is also amazing as well:

Give it a watch if you like.

Last edited:

GloveSlap

This was my favorite childhood movie (along with Goonies and Pee Wee's Big Adventure). Still love it and the design of the ship is one of the best ever. I was finally able to replace my dvd with the UK Second Sight LE Bluray and the transfer is really good.

I commented on a Corridor Crew video a long time ago tha they needed to to do a VFX react for this, but they never did. Looks like they got beat to the punch.

This video about the production of the movie is excellent. I was surprised by the number of authentic pieces he had.

Yeah, he even has the original props that were used to create the spaceship stair and even recreates the effect with them.

I commented on a Corridor Crew video a long time ago tha they needed to to do a VFX react for this, but they never did. Looks like they got beat to the punch.

I've watched a few Corrido Crew videos. They are well done and entertaining, but they could explain the effects a little bit better or go more into detail. Not a big fan of the "react" type kind of content though, but I like it when they try to "fix" the special effects shots. Like when they remade Birdemic or gave Superman his moustache back:

He is also absolute masterclass in presenting stuff to the audience, I watched it even tho, I suck at everything graphics:

He also debunks a lot of viral videos, but I hope he plans to do more VFXcool episodes.

nkarafo

VFXcool is the best part of this guy's channel but he only covered 2 movies so far... The list of classic movies he could cover is so massive, he could do just that and have material for the rest of his life. Though i get that this kind of thing requires a lot of research.

He is far less annoying and more funny than the Corridor Crew members as well.

kondorBonk

Captain Disillusion is a hell of a public speaker too. He talked at a blender conference in 2018 which was fantastic and really made the software feel more approachable to a one man team. Anyone just starting out in 3d, it really gets you motivated.

Edit* Lol, didn't noitce M1chl M1chl posted the same thing.

Last edited:

INC

Even though I've never watched Flight of the navigator I've still watched the whole CD video. He is very entertaining.

I second this, its on prime atm, go watch it

And you see a young Sarah Jessica Parker, before her face turned into a boiled horse

Last edited:
Top Bottom