• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Falcon was originally planned to be the SNES/SFC mascot.

Changing the topic, I'd like to ask about the characters. Captain Falcon and other characters don't appear in gameplay, so how did they come about?
Imamura: I remember we started thinking about various things after the game was complete.

You didn't think about characters at all during development?
Imamura: No. Captain Falcon was originally the mascot character for Super NES.

What?!
Shimizu: That statement is a bit shocking, isn't it? (laughs)

Yes! (laughs) I've never heard that Captain Falcon was the mascot for Super NES.
Imamura: Even most people at Nintendo don't know that. When development of F-ZERO was almost complete, I was doing a bunch of illustrations and someone expressed a desire to make a mascot character for Super NES, with a name like Captain Something.

From the second SNES classic interview.

https://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic/interview-f-zero

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wow that's a megaton.

I'm gonna say Mario with cape and Yoshi became the de facto mascot instead, at least in those early years of the SNES.

I'm pretty sure this was already known.
Yeah, it’s been known for several years now. Still pretty interesting though, and I’ve always wished they’d go back to the idea and try other genres with the IP. Imagine something like what we expected Star Wars 1313 to be, but with Captain Falcon and the Nintendo touch.

Shit, that would be a great project for Retro.

daTRUballin

What about Mario? They really were just going to leave him by the side after all of the successful NES games? :/

Pretty bizarre if you ask me.

Takyon

Give Captain Falcon the hero action game he deserves.

Melee is the next best thing
B1TMtDx.gif

It seems to me that Falcon is the unofficial mascot of the smash series.

What about Mario? They really were just going to leave him by the side after all of the successful NES games? :/

IIRC it was a response to Sega’s “cool and edgy” factor. Mario still would have been a massive focus, but games featuring Cap would have been the primary face of the marketing and “tone” of the console. The idea never really went very far though.

-shadow-

From almost being a console flagship mascot to almost having gone a decade and a half without a new game! How unfair ;_;

Not really. It's like how Diskun was the mascot for the Famicom Disk System.

latest

They're literally just brand mascots below Mario,

When I was a kid, everyone that I knew called Captain Falcon "See Falcon" because on the Smash 64 character select, his name was abbreviated to C. Falcon and none of us knew what F-Zero was.

Fast forward to today, I was playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with my girlfriend and some of her friends, and someone asked "What's Mute City?" and I said it's a track from F-Zero. They asked "What's F-Zero?" and someone else said "Falcon punch!" and they replied "Ohhh, THAT'S what Captain Falcon's from?"

I wonder how different all that might have been if the Cap did become the SNES mascot.

IISANDERII

"someone expressed a desire"

So somebody at lunch was spitballing ideas = Nintendo had all these plans drawn up and ready to go

Top Bottom