• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Marvel Response and Reactions

TrainedRage

Banned
I'm supprised people are still into superhero movies. After the same movie for the 5th time I was done.

Maybe I grew out of them. Maybe they became predictable.
Maybe I just don't go to see movies at the theater anymore.

I dunno how people still go to see this stuff. Just not for me anymore. And I'm glad to get out of the pool so to speak.

Mihos

Gold Member
I'm supprised people are still into superhero movies. After the same movie for the 5th time I was done.

I dunno how people still go to see this stuff. Just not for me anymore. And I'm glad to get out of the pool so to speak.

I fucking love them.

I do think everyone like me would have seen Captain Marvel in the first week, and would expect a pretty large dropoff this week.

kunonabi

I haven't thought about it enough yet so just asking is probably faster : what specifically does it contradict?

i
I haven't thought about it enough yet so just asking is probably faster : what specifically does it contradict?

Iron Man - Usage of the S.H.I.E.L.D shorthand hadn't come into usage until some point off screen during these events

Avengers - Fury claimed that Thor was the reason for Phase 2 and that they hadn't been aware of Aliens until him.

Avengers 2 - eats a sandwhich cut diagonally. You can chalk this up to semantics or possibly an actual plot point though.

Winter Soldier - Fury had both eyes when he was sworn in as director of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Pierce, Cap, and I believe Maria all use Nick when referring to Fury so that little spiel in CM also has no basis in the other films.

Again, nothing earth shattering but when you put them all together it just makes it feel like the writers didn't even bother to watch any of the other films especially when a few minor script tweaks could have handled most of this.

WaterAstro

It is. Set in the 90s so none of the previous MCU movies happened yet.

Ending credits is just a short tease of endgame ala civil war on the ending of Ant Man.

Captain America comes before in terms of the timeline but you dont need to watch it for this although it helps a little. CM thumbs its nose at most of the MCU' continuity so watching it first doesnt matter much anyway.
Thanks. She's caught up to GotG 1, so the Kree thing won't be too weird. I guess we'll be okay.

TrainedRage

Banned
I fucking love them.

I do think everyone like me would have seen Captain Marvel in the first week, and would expect a pretty large dropoff this week.
That's good. You have plenty too choose from too. I don't know what it is... Maybe I would like an R rated MCU movie more.

Although its great to see my little nephew watch/learn about these superheros for the first time. He loves them as well.

You missed the boatloads of blogs and articles claiming that CM and black panther are culturally important representation because they are "marvel first *blank*" or are you just blind?

There is nothing wrong with this, it's just hype. People are excited, or unexcited for any number reasons that they prefer. What I do expect is that people be careful about how they absorb information, because as we did have that, we also had this.

onjzszysb5j5e.jpg

I think that's why it's good for each individual to take the time to sit back from the hype because in the internet world it's consuming.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
i

Iron Man - Usage of the S.H.I.E.L.D shorthand hadn't come into usage until some point off screen during these events

Avengers - Fury claimed that Thor was the reason for Phase 2 and that they hadn't been aware of Aliens until him.

Avengers 2 - eats a sandwhich cut diagonally. You can chalk this up to semantics or possibly an actual plot point though.

Winter Soldier - Fury had both eyes when he was sworn in as director of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Pierce, Cap, and I believe Maria all use Nick when referring to Fury so that little spiel in CM also has no basis in the other films.

Again, nothing earth shattering but when you put them all together it just makes it feel like the writers didn't even bother to watch any of the other films especially when a few minor script tweaks could have handled most of this.

The bolded are silly things that should have been caught and are worth catching. Not sure why they did that dumb spiel about "FURY ONLY" stuff.

There is nothing wrong with this, it's just hype. People are excited, or unexcited for any number reasons that they prefer. What I do expect is that people be careful about how they absorb information, because as we did have that, we also had this. I think that's why it's good for each individual to take the time to sit back from the hype.

What is going on with that Youtuber? I didn't want to go to his page, but is he trying to fight and defeat Marvel movies? And his "SJW fight", "SOY MAD", and general hate for MCU movies is a little scary.

Typical

Banned
Watched it last night, thought it was awesome. Not to the levels of the very best Marvel films like the first Avengers or Infinity war but a solid 8 from me. Can’t wait the see her in End Game.

Not sure what all the “OMG feminism” rage was all about by the perpetually outraged alt right types. Didn’t even register whilst watching the film nor were her statements note worthy.

The bolded are silly things that should have been caught and are worth catching. Not sure why they did that dumb spiel about "FURY ONLY" stuff.

What is going on with that Youtuber? I didn't want to go to his page, but is he trying to fight and defeat Marvel movies? And his "SJW fight", "SOY MAD", and general hate for MCU movies is a little scary.

It's just the other side of it, feeding his audience. It's unnecessary, just like the Kingdom Come situation. All of it meant nothing, people just had a problem with the surface level stuff (people disliked the politics of the creator).

kunonabi

Watched it last night, thought it was awesome. Not to the levels of the very best Marvel films like the first Avengers or Infinity war but a solid 8 from me. Can’t wait the see her in End Game.

Not sure what all the “OMG feminism” rage was all about by the perpetually outraged alt right types. Didn’t even register whilst watching the film nor were her statements note worthy.

I don't know, the smiling bit and the little black girl telling the skrull child not to change her eyes brought me out of the film personally. The cockpit thing was at least believable and the Just a Girl usage was embarrassing but it was childish girl power stuff more than anything else. Feminism playing into the central theme doesn't become super apparent until the rising up montage.

I do find it more annoying in hindsight personally. Most of the other heroes are taught humbling lessons with themes of responsibility, accountability, self-sacrifice, and the greater good playing major roles. Carol's movie is more about her realizing how awesome she is instead of listening to others bring her down.

It's a shame too since classic Ms. Marvel would have fit into that first category so well. It totally fits the Captain Marvel version of the character though so you can't really knock it for being inaccurate.

sol_bad

It contradicts Iron Man, both Avengers films, and winter soldier. You can hand wave some stuff and use mental gymnastics to get around some of it but the film is still damn sloppy compared to everything else outside of Homecoming.

No it does not.
What do you think it contradicts?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ohhh, I finally remembered what the amnesia plotline in this movie reminded me of!

Resident Evil.

I actually thought it was done better in Resident Evil, though, as the scene immediately switches gears and cranks up the tension into a showdown.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Just saw Tyrone Magnus review.
He is usually positive and fair reviewer
I think the beginning of the review says it all
g9dmh2.gif

I can't really disagree with the "I was bored observation". I liked the movie more than he did overall, but I did feel bored at times, where the only thing keeping me engaged was the connection to the MCU. My friend who saw it with me isn't really a Marvel fan, and she fell asleep in the middle of it lol.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I can't really disagree with the "I was bored observation". I liked the movie more than he did overall, but I did feel bored at times, where the only thing keeping me engaged was the connection to the MCU. My friend who saw it with me isn't really a Marvel fan, and she fell asleep in the middle of it lol.

I honestly can't see how many people can love the movie if you aren't already into the other MCU movies. Even though it happens in the 90s, the movie only really makes sense if you've watched the other MCU movies. I was bored during the first 20 minutes myself and I really liked this movie and love the MCU movie series overall.

sol_bad

Yesh, not sure how I missed that earlier.

Iron Man 1 - The long form of SHIELD is literally a joke line, it's there to make comic book fans think "oh em gee, SHIELD is in this!". It doesn't take a genius to abbreviate the organisations name. Also, Coulson's character is/has always himself been jokey, he was joking when he said "we're working on it" in reference to making the name shorter.

Avengers - Fury is the director of SHIELD, do you really think that he is going to tell 2 lower level SHIELD agents and 4 people he doesn't know about the fact that he has come across aliens? At the end of Iron Man he says to Tony that he is part of a much larger "universe", why would he say that specific word? Also, SHIELD has had dead alien bodies in storage for years, it's how Coulson was brought back to life.

Avengers 2 - Cmon, it's literally a joke about a sandwich.

Winter Soldier - You're right about this one, not sure why this was hand waived away.
As for people calling Fury by the name Nick, I can't remember if they specifically call him Nick directly to him or if they just say Nick in reference to him. If they do say it directly to him, Winter Soldier takes place nearly 20 years after Captain Marvel. Maybe he stops caring about being called Nick.

Some mental gymnastics maybe, but no more than the mental gymnastics required to come up with the "inconsistencies".

Kagero

You underestimate the value of co-viewing. These movies are made for everyone, kids and adults alike. As long as there are families these movies will continue to rake in millions. This isn't even taking into account the fact that these movies are really well made. It's no surprise they are doing well.

Doom85

Most of the other heroes are taught humbling lessons with themes of responsibility, accountability, self-sacrifice, and the greater good playing major roles.

I mean, there was the whole thing about her realizing she was wrong to blindly believe what she had been told about a certain thing (trying to avoid spoilers, not sure if this is meant to be a spoiler-free thread). She also abandons the chance to finally spend more time on Earth after all these years because she knows there's certain people who need her help right now.

TrainedRage

Banned
You underestimate the value of co-viewing. These movies are made for everyone, kids and adults alike. As long as there are families these movies will continue to rake in millions. This isn't even taking into account the fact that these movies are really well made. It's no surprise they are doing well.
I totally get they are made for "everyone" to make the most money. That's part of the problem IMO. Comics used to be a niche hobby that "regular people" would scoff at. They lost their edge and appeal once it all went mainstream and got oversaturated. Movies like Logan and Deadpool do stand out to me for that reason and to me they feel more like a comic book on screen.

It's still anecdotal and limited to a handful of places in the US, but numerous cinema managers are making weird observations about this movie, such as up to 20-30 people at a time pre-ordering tickets online and never showing up to a session. They've never seen this dramatically high rate of no-showers before.

Tin foil hat time.

Grinchy

Banned
It's gonna hit a half billion dollars worldwide before the 2nd weekend even comes up. This is an amazing success for being the first movie to ever star a woman.

sol_bad

It's still anecdotal and limited to a handful of places in the US, but numerous cinema managers are making weird observations about this movie, such as up to 20-30 people at a time pre-ordering tickets online and never showing up to a session. They've never seen this dramatically high rate of no-showers before.

Tin foil hat time.

Numerous meaning 1? And a bunch of people showing late night screenings being empty?

Hobobaggins

Neo Member

People are invested in the Infinity War pay off... if there is a crash it will follow immediately after End Game.

sol_bad

No the beginning made no fucking sense even my kids didn’t understand it. It just wasn’t a god movie

I don't understand?

We see Carol having nightmare. Then we see her training with Yon-Rogg and he tells her to control her powers. Then we see her with the Supreme Intelligence and they tell her to control her emotions. She is a member of the Kree Starforce and they go on a mission to extract a Kree operative. Action scene. She gets captured and her mind gets interrogated. They learn more than they thought they would, they learn that that she knows Lawson (Mar-Vel) and head to Earth. Carol escapes and crashes on Earth.

What is not to understand?

People are invested in the Infinity War pay off... if there is a crash it will follow immediately after End Game.

People are invested in the characters they have been introduced to. There won't be a crash after Endgame.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
The only hero movies I like are 90's Batman movies. Am I alone? These new Marvel movies don't do anything for me. I miss those cheesy DC movies. I also love Adam West's Batman series.

Initially I thought surprise sudden character acquisition being made main character sounds like a better idea than the predictable idea of letting one of the older characters take care of the situation.

Hopefully the next endgame lives up to expectation, even more overpowered fights.

Barnabot

More reviews. This time is Marc Bernardin. The movie misses a lot of oportunities to make us to connect with Carol Danvers and instead invests more in the action part.

bitbydeath

Don’t know if it’s been discussed yet but what do you think was the point of including Coulson in the movie? I mean for the small amount of time he had on screen they could have picked anyone to be Fury’s partner.

It seems like a reminder that he exists in the MCU and is not just part of the TV show SHIELD. But I wonder if that means we’ll be seeing more of him in future.

MetalAlien

Banned
I saw it, didn't pay for it. I use the Drive In movie. If I want to see a movie but not add to the box office I pay for the movie next to the screen with the questionable content. You can tune your radio to whatever screen you want.

Anyway I had my mouth drop open for half the movie. I was literally stunned about how thick they were laying on the propaganda. The bad guys are men....lol... all men. Don't believe it? Pay attention to the montage they show when she goes in godmode at the end.. It's not showing the Skrulls or the Kree, it's showing all the men that told her to stay down... you can't make this stuff up. The funniest part is the Military flashbacks. When you are in bootcamp the instructor tells everyone they are no good and can't do it. That's what they do.

Last edited:

Barnabot

I saw it, didn't pay for it. I use the Drive In movie. If I want to see a movie but not add to the box office I pay for the movie next to the screen with the questionable content. You can tune your radio to whatever screen you want.

Anyway I had my mouth drop open for half the movie. I was literally stunned about how thick they were laying on the propaganda. The bad guys are men....lol... all men. Don't believe it? Pay attention to the montage they show when she goes in godmode at the end.. It's not showing the Skrulls or the Kree, it's showing all the men that told her to stay down... you can't make this stuff up. The funniest part is the Military flashbacks. When you are in bootcamp the instructor tells everyone they are no good and can't do it. That's what they do.
That doesn't look good if it's true.

MC Safety

I don't understand how this works. You didn't want to pay for Captain Marvel, so you bought a ticket for another movie. And then you listened to Captain Marvel with a radio while watching some other movie?

quickwhips

If you don’t like something you can start looking for reasons to hate it. The mere intelligence to her was a chick.

kunonabi

If you don’t like something you can start looking for reasons to hate it. The mere intelligence to her was a chick.

It only takes the form of a chick because it supposedly appears as someone she looks up to. Which in this case turned out to be a genderbent Mar-Vel because they couldn't possibly have a man play any sort of positive mentor role important to her gaining her powers. The only truly antagonistic female in the movie is Minerva.

MetalAlien

Banned
I don't understand how this works. You didn't want to pay for Captain Marvel, so you bought a ticket for another movie. And then you listened to Captain Marvel with a radio while watching some other movie?
At the Drive In you can see all the screens no matter what movie you are at. Buy a ticket for the movie next to the movie you don't want to pay for, and you can still see the screen as good as if you were in the same lot. Tune the radio to that screen and you're done. I don't do that often but if some actor or whatever pisses me off I can still see the movie without giving them my money. I see 99.99% of my first run movies at the drive In. I live in Vegas so it's open year round.

MC Safety

At the Drive In you can see all the screens no matter what movie you are at. Buy a ticket for the movie next to the movie you don't want to pay for, and you can still see the screen as good as if you were in the same lot. Tune the radio to that screen and you're done. I don't do that often but if some actor or whatever pisses me off I can still see the movie without giving them my money. I see 99.99% of my first run movies at the drive In. I live in Vegas so it's open year round.

Aha.

Yeah, drive ins are a rarity, and I thought drive in movie was something wholly different than a drive in theater. Mea culpa.

daveonezero

Banned

This was my basic thoughts as well. I was ready to be disappointed but it was entertaining and that what I go to these movies for. The two biggest plot criticisms I've heard are she is a Mary Sue and a Dues Ex Machina. I didn't get that at all. The stupid flurgen or whatever was more of a magic bullet than she was, when saving the tesseract and Fury.

She fits in the universe. I also don't see how she was "unstoppable". I mean she is just as unstoppable as Thor. I'm ok with that. I am pretty excited for Endgame now. I don't see it as her coming to save the day but another piece of the puzzle.

It only takes the form of a chick because it supposedly appears as someone she looks up to. Which in this case turned out to be a genderbent Mar-Vel because they couldn't possibly have a man play any sort of positive mentor role important to her gaining her powers. The only truly antagonistic female in the movie is Minerva.

Sure that's fine. Whatever. It didn't take away from the movie. Its not like male heroes are always fighting female antagonists.

nkarafo

Of course, they have to write down these women are "badass" because if you watched the movies you couldn't tell.

I don't remember the last time they had to specifically tell me how male badass movie characters are badass.

The insecurity is pretty high when dealing with female characters.

Last edited:

Flintty

I really enjoyed it. They went a bit far with the anti-men feminism montage but it didn’t really spoil it and my daughter came away feeling good, so they done the job they set out to do without hurting my feelings.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It was a typical origin story, which are often the worst of a franchise. It was a 7/10. Everyone was great except Brie Larson who was just wooden and boring. There are 10,000 better actresses in LA alone who could have done a better job, I wonder who picked her?

sol_bad

This is so fucking stupid.
If you don't want to watch/support something, how about you just don't watch it at all?
I'm sorry but choosing not to pay for a movie when a single actor pisses you off is just dumb. A movie is made by hundreds of people.

MetalAlien

Banned
This is so fucking stupid.
If you don't want to watch/support something, how about you just don't watch it at all?
I'm sorry but choosing not to pay for a movie when a single actor pisses you off is just dumb. A movie is made by hundreds of people.
How about you live your life and you let me live mine alright buddy?

Top Bottom