• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Marvel Response and Reactions

kunonabi

I don't see anybody posting about it and everything is so scattered I figured I'd make a more dedicated thread. Feel free to close if unnecessary.

So I just got back from the movie and it was ok. It has a ton of issues and mostly gets by on Jackson to be honest.

The movie does a mostly terrible job of trying to take inspiration from 90s action flicks and Robocop. The 90s setting is mostly just cheap gags as are the feminist beats which feel bolted on at the last second as the ones in WW did. There are some subtext and themes you could see as feminist but you could just as easily not as their fairly universal to be honest. There may be some stuff I missed since its been awhile since my feminist theory coursework and feminism has changed quite a bit since those days. Regardless, I don't think the feminist elements are the biggest problem with the movie by a long shot and the early Ms. Marvel stuff and the current Captain Marvel comics incorporates stuff like that anyway.

The movies structure is one of the biggest issues. It has a fairly action packed opening and some action at the end but the middle is very low energy and not that interesting. I could see that working if the middle was filled with the kind of great character work that the directors' had in their previous films but their imprint is basically nonexistent much like the score.

Speaking of music the song selection is super on-the-nose and gimmicky. If they were going for 90s fanmade music videos then they nailed it.

Performances are kind of all over the place. Jackson and Mendelsohn are highlights and everyone else is serviceable aside from Larson and the girl playing Monica. Brie has the most personality in the beginning and it just sort of fades as it goes on. She'll have sparks here and there but she doesn't have any chemistry with the rest of the cast and she severely underplays the big emotional moments. Not that those are all that well setup to begin with. It doesn't hurt that most of what makes Carol interesting just isn't in the movie so her growth never helps her to become any less flat of a character. To be fair those traits are really more apparent in Carol's Ms. Marvel days but they're still sorely missed here.

There are some continuity things I found kind of problematic and I'm not a huge fan of how they handled a certain comic character or her origin but whatever.

If I had to rank it after one watch I'd put it in my Tier 3 which includes Thor: the Dark World, Thor: Ragnarok, and Iron Man 2. For the record the only movie I have lower than those is The Incredible Hulk.

Last edited:
Man I really ended up loving this movie. Ben Mendhelson and Samuel L Jackson are hilarious. Hopefully people still have time to watch Alita though so I can get a sequel. I feel like 2019 is off to a great start already.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

You shut your mouth. Thor: Ragnarok was the best superhero comedy of the decade. Don't you dare lump it in with Iron Bland 2.

Liamario

Banned
You lost me when you put Ragnarok on a lower tier, which is definitely contrary to the general consensus. This would also imply that BP was better than Ragnarok, which it definitely wasn't.

Dazrael

To be fair it was pretty good. I can see why people might see a feminist angle but I just saw it as girl power. Luckily I think they are going for inspiring girls rather than having an agenda for SJWs.

It had a few plot points I didn’t quite grasp on the first viewing but I’m sure the writers did their homework. It certainly isn’t the dumpster fire everyone was expecting (or maybe hoping)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
equivalent to thor: ragnarok? cool

you think thor: ragnarok is "tier 3"?

oh yeah? well, you're tier 3, bro.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm with you on Thor 3 being an overblown Guardians wannabe (shame since Taiki Watitit's other stuff is great), even though we're in the minority on that one. But it's still so much better than The Dark World.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Wasn't planning on going but I ended up seeing it with a friend.

It's without a doubt the worst MCU film. Step aside, Rey. Carol is the quintessential Mary Sue. The entire world revolves around her and bends to her whims. There is no dramatic tension, no conflict, no highs or lows. Brie Larson smirks and BURRRRRRRRs her photon blast at something or someone and the situation resolves entirely in her favor instantly. BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

She calls herself a hero. Other characters call her a hero. Do the writers understand what a hero is? Do they understand what a hero's journey entails? She is no hero. She sacrifices nothing, strives for nothing, loses nothing, overcomes nothing.

Brie Larson doesn't have any physical presence (neither do her stunt double and cgi double, for that matter) and looks like a joke in her hand to hand fight with Jude Law. The fight choreography stinks.

She's overpowered to the point of indifference *before* uncorking her full god mode. She did nothing to earn it. Her first time flying around like Superman? No emotional impact. Man of Steel even manages to crush the emotional resonance of moments like that compared to Captain Sue. She flies into space and BURRRRRRRRRRRs space ships with no discernible difference to when she BURRRRRs everything else, yet in that instance advanced spaceships explode effortlessly, and in other instances she can non-fatally wound someone with a BURRRRRRRR to the chest. Her photon blasts do whatever is convenient for her to get what she wants, and she's always a hair trigger away from using them.

I like all the '90s songs used in the score on their own, but they're used in such an on the nose, banal, uninspired way here. It's laughable.

Jude Law's character exists to be effortlessly emasculated whenever Brie deems. Samuel L. Jackson has little to do other than play with the adorable Goose the Cat and trade occasional banter with Brie while riding in the passenger seat, riding in the back seat, or helping resolve conflict that Brie notes she could've done by herself effortlessly after he does it. LOL! None of these characters exist or have independent motives. They're all cardboard cutouts for Captain Sue to play with at her wooden leisure.

It's hard to imagine how Carol's presence in Endgame will reconcile with all the real characters in that narrative. Any involvement of hers runs the risk of sabotaging the MCU's decade-in-the-making climax.

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

0/10

bitbydeath

You lost me when you put Ragnarok on a lower tier, which is definitely contrary to the general consensus. This would also imply that BP was better than Ragnarok, which it definitely wasn't.

Yeah, I’d sooner put Thor 1 with Thor 2 than Ragnarok.

Raph64

Is it really that good or that bad ? I hopefully plan to go see it tomorrow with a friend but all I want to know is if it is a good movie or not.

ruvikx

Banned
It's hard to imagine how Carol's presence in Endgame will reconcile with all the real characters in that narrative. Any involvement of hers runs the risk of sabotaging the MCU's decade-in-the-making climax.

This right here is the perplexing part. Ten years of building the MCU, Thanos & all that, then kaboom, are they just going to drop a cheatcode name Carol Danvers on Avengers Endgame & claim it's the ending everyone wanted? (aka a Mary Sue in god mode beating the bad guy). It might be masturbatory material for feminist power fantasy addicts, but as for the rest of us? Meh, it could obliterate the franchise.

Fox Mulder

Thor Ragnarok isn't tier 3. You are.

I figured at worst that this would be an average MCU film. IM 2, the first two Thors, Ultron, and Hulk are all on the lower end.

Grinchy

Banned

It's without a doubt the worst MCU film. Step aside, Rey. Carol is the quintessential Mary Sue. The entire world revolves around her and bends to her whims. There is no dramatic tension, no conflict, no highs or lows. Brie Larson smirks and BURRRRRRRRs her photon blast at something or someone and the situation resolves entirely in her favor instantly. BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

She calls herself a hero. Other characters call her a hero. Do the writers understand what a hero is? Do they understand what a hero's journey entails? She is no hero. She sacrifices nothing, strives for nothing, loses nothing, overcomes nothing.

Brie Larson doesn't have any physical presence (neither do her stunt double and cgi double, for that matter) and looks like a joke in her hand to hand fight with Jude Law. The fight choreography stinks.

She's overpowered to the point of indifference *before* uncorking her full god mode. She did nothing to earn it. Her first time flying around like Superman? No emotional impact. Man of Steel even manages to crush the emotional resonance of moments like that compared to Captain Sue. She flies into space and BURRRRRRRRRRRs space ships with no discernible difference to when she BURRRRRs everything else, yet in that instance advanced spaceships explode effortlessly, and in other instances she can non-fatally wound someone with a BURRRRRRRR to the chest. Her photon blasts do whatever is convenient for her to get what she wants, and she's always a hair trigger away from using them.

I like all the '90s songs used in the score on their own, but they're used in such an on the nose, banal, uninspired way here. It's laughable.

Jude Law's character exists to be effortlessly emasculated whenever Brie deems. Samuel L. Jackson has little to do other than play with the adorable Goose the Cat and trade occasional banter with Brie while riding in the passenger seat, riding in the back seat, or helping resolve conflict that Brie notes she could've done by herself effortlessly after he does it. LOL! None of these characters exist or have independent motives. They're all cardboard cutouts for Captain Sue to play with at her wooden leisure.

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

0/10
This would have seemed like an extreme opinion to me if I didn't just read and agree with just about word-for-word everything you said in the True Detective season 3 thread. It was like reading what I thought before I could say it. So I'm going to just listen and believe here.

Last edited:

Makariel

If I had to rank it after one watch I'd put it in my Tier 3 which includes Thor: the Dark World, Thor: Ragnarok, and Iron Man 2. For the record the only movie I have lower than those is The Incredible Hulk.
giphy.gif

quickwhips

EL response 😂. Still going to see it this weekend. If it’s a B or better great. Sam Jackson don’t let me down.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
It was an enjoyable popcorn movie that you completely forget about before you even get out the exit door to the theater. That’s how I feel about a lot of these Marvel movies. The cat was the best part of the movie.

The character feels way to powerful. It felt really stupid watching her fly through giant spaceships and destroy them in two seconds. I hope she doesn’t just wreck Thanos.

I’d rate it a 6/10.

Angelcurio

I watched the other thread first and posted my impressions, so i will just quote myself rom there:
Just watched it last night. In my opinión it is a 6/10 at best. It starts extremely slow, you can deduct the plot from a mile away, and as usual Marvel movies, you see her in SSG form during maybe just the last 20 - 15 minutes of the movie.

The CGI in a specific scene where she was falling from the sky looked extremely bad, like ps2 level quality CGI, but that type of cut corners are always expected in almost all Marvel movies, Avengers 1 included. It is a nice historic movie, as you see the starts of Fury and Coulson, but besides that it doesn't adds a lot.

And last, but not least, she is insanely poweful, to the point where one can even argue if the other characters are actually needed in Endgame to confront Thanos, so it will be interesting to see how they can manage to balance her out with the rest of the team, and more importantly, with Thanos.

Ownage

I'd genuinely like to see Coulson, Fury (and May if she showed up), but don't want to be insulted with PowerPuff pandering.

josherjohn

Banned
I gave it a 8/10. I went in with pretty low expectations because none of the trailers grabbed me. Besides pacing issues I didn't have a problem with the movie.

Dunki

She is a woman and so she overcomes the terrible patriarchy and sexism she encounters. She is the biggest victim and has to suffer the most in the whole Marvel Universe

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

I liked it. I'd give it like a 8/10 or something. I think it's somewhere in the middle when it comes to MCU. Far better than shit like Black Panther, Hulk or Thor: Dark World, but a bit worse than Infinity War, Dr. Strange etc. There wasn't much SJW stuff in it, which was a pleasant surprise, and both Brie Larson and Sam Jackson were great. Loved the cat.

I know it's just your opinion against mine, but I thought Ragnorok was fantastic and the best Thor movie out of the three.

TeamGizzyy

Banned
Went in expecting the worst and ended up thinking it was pretty good. Obviously not on upper tier avenger level.. But for origin based mcu stories it was good.

Watching the trailers made me think something was.... Off.... But it was fine.

kunonabi

Man, Ragnarok struck a chord. It being so low for me is mostly due to it being a full on comedy. Which would be fine if I actually found it funny but I was pretty much bored out of my mind whenever Hela was offscreen. I also couldn't stand Valkyrie which didnt help. It's really a matter of it not clicking with me than it being a bad, poorly made movie.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

0/10

In Feige we trust??

Yeah, if a 10 year buildup is squandered by the last month introduction of SJW pandering, Marvel can enjoy their fall.

A shame if so, especially with the imminent movie return/introduction of some of the characters that were integral to the comic saga.

Mihos

Gold Member
I would give it a 6/10. I am going to see it again tomorrow with a larger group who isn't as into comic book and hero movies the way I am.

The only feminist plot point which bugged me:
Wendy Lawson? Really? Couldn't have just left him as Walter Lawson? I can forgive Monica being a kid, but gender swapping OG Mar Vel seemed a little bit stupid, especially since your going to kill him off anyway.

There are a few other, but mostly just a little eye roll here and there, like blowing off Schwarzenegger's standee head at blockbuster. I can forgive "There's a reason it's called a cockpit' stuff because it was right around 1992ish that women could first become fighter pilots.

I was way more pissed that Fury's eye came down to a cat scratch than any of that stuff.

Outside of that, it felt like a movie they had to get out of the way to do more in the future and overall I liked it. Nothing in it was as bad as what they did with the Mandarin in Iron Man 3.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Man, Ragnarok struck a chord. It being so low for me is mostly due to it being a full on comedy. Which would be fine if I actually found it funny

Nailed it. I'm so tired of the Marvel comedy template that was essentially created by Guardians (Avengers 1 had some Whedonesque quipping but no-where near as bad as it got eventually). The film was such a success in lightening the overall tone of the MCU that it's been hamfisted into every movie since. It's usually along the lines of, character says something, other characters look at each other and respond.. with.. pregnant pauses.. and sound like they asking questions? Even if they're not? Or the characters will be talking about something serious and then all of a sudden everyone will suddenly talk quietly and sarcastically and quickly about something menial. Thor 2 was so dull that they greenlit a sequel which is basically just this template for two hours, and Watiti's self-insert was garbage (kiwi voice funny =/= actual joke). It did look nice, at least. But the humour in Guardians 2 fell as flat as a pancake (a pretty full cinema laughed at maybe a quarter of the "jokes"), and rewatching Infinity War, the humour sticks out like a sore thumb.

/oldmanrant

I haven't seen the movie but I read the ending on Wikipedia and
the cat named Goose throws up the Tesseract?

I can't even with this movie. I'll stream when it's available. I don't think Endgame is going to end the way we're expecting it to and it's going to be extremely lackluster. It really seems like Captain Burrrrr was a last minute 'hero' to shorehorned in because the writers ran out of ideas and don't know how to write an ending. It's LOST all over again, but in super hero form.

MayauMiao

Many of my favorite reviewers rated it from passable to yuck.

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

0/10

Now you've done it. REEers are gonna come after this board!

Last edited:

kunonabi

I haven't seen the movie but I read the ending on Wikipedia and
the cat named Goose throws up the Tesseract?

I can't even with this movie. I'll stream when it's available. I don't think Endgame is going to end the way we're expecting it to and it's going to be extremely lackluster. It really seems like Captain Burrrrr was a last minute 'hero' to shorehorned in because the writers ran out of ideas and don't know how to write an ending. It's LOST all over again, but in super hero form.

Despite being a prequel this is the one MCU movie that really feels like it was written without the aid of whoever is in charge of continuity.

Wait. You rank Ragnarok in the same tier as The Dark World!?!

You had me up until that.

LOLCats

Banned
Ya im not sure bout the debate. But Ragnorok is definately top tier for me. I thought it was awesome.

Melon

Banned
My favorite review by far.

"Years from now, chances are that when people sit around and talk enthusiastically about that movie with Brie Larson and Samuel L. Jackson, the subject is most likely to be Kong: Skull Island."

Grinchy

Banned
It's funny comparing the RT score to the Metacritic score, and then finding this: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/28/business/media/rotten-tomatoes-critics.html

Edit: And Ragnarok is my favorite Marvel film.

lol there is just something hilarious about how every time an article like this is written about inclusivity or diversity, there's at least one guaranteed Kool-Aid packet hair dye job in the photo. Nothing says diversity more than a nutjob who looks like they dress up in a costume every day.

Codes 208

holy Shit it’s like the polar opposite of venom on rotten tomatoes.

Specifically the Critics to audience percentages ratio.

Last edited:
Top Bottom