• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Marvel Response and Reactions

Kagero

Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs, but most people have super low standards for what they consider quality entertainment.
I'm not surprised by anything nowadays. Those transformers movies rake in millions. I would rather watch poop dry, and I'm the target audience for those movies :\

I dunno. I just heard it on the radio just now. Either way, these are crazy numbers for a movie that sucks, and is supposed to fail.

I haven't seen it BTW. It just looks boring to me.

It was never going to, and it's a huge lol that anyone here thought it would. BTW it's not the highest grossing ever, just in the highest grossing opening weekends.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs, but most people have super low standards for what they consider quality entertainment.

I don't know about that.

I loved Schindler's List, To Kill a Mockingbird, Star Wars A New Hope, Star Trek The wrath of Khan, Citizen Kane, et. al. ... But I also loved Man of Steel, BvS, Justice League, Aquaman, etc.... And Captain Marvel.

People can like more than one kinds of movie, no matter what others think of the quality.

If it gives them enjoyment, what does it matter to you?

Zangiefy360

Banned
I don't know about that.

I loved Schindler's List, To Kill a Mockingbird, Star Wars A New Hope, Star Trek The wrath of Khan, Citizen Kane, et. al. ... But I also loved Man of Steel, BvS, Justice League, Aquaman, etc.... And Captain Marvel.

People can like more than one kinds of movie, no matter what others think of the quality.

If it gives them enjoyment, what does it matter to you?

It matters to me because it's rare to see ambitious blockbuster action films do well that aren't Marvel or comic book related anymore.

Comic book movies have had their place in cinema since the 1930s, so they aren't going away , but a little diversity would be nice for folks like me that find Marvel films to be boring and forgettable.

I feel like kryptonite and magic kind of make sense though. Magic powers aren't measured on the same wavelength as your typical "Hulk strength" or "Captain Marvel photon blast" from what I always got from comics.

I can understand why Superman can withstand a nuclear blast, but I also understand how a powerful magical origin can transform him into a puppy, or whatever.

I know it is different universes but the Dr. Strange time-stone trick he utilizes in his movie would work just as well against Superman as it would Average Joe. Physical/elemental powers operate within our reality, magic powers can alter our reality.
Krypton had ultra advanced science i always imagined superman's power spawn from tech that mastered existence and reality at a deeper level than magic.

Precrisis was op.

NahaNago

After watching It I would say that it is alright. Nothing great , just a one and done movie. The praise for the cat was a bit too much I feel. There wasn't really anything that stood out to me. Everything for the most part was alright. I was honestly thinking that Samuel L. Jackson would make the movie a lot better but he was kinda meh as well. I just feel like many parts of the movie from the
amnesia/remember revenge
, to the suppose to be aiming to be stoic warrior , to the buddy cop , to the cat jokes have all been filmed a lot better in other movies with smaller budgets.

Last edited:

NahaNago

i think there was too much trusting in the movie barely justified
I agree from Samuel trusting her too quickly, to her trusting the enemy who she has killed probably hundreds of from just because of the black box, to the leader of the skrull just all of a sudden trusting the person who just slaughtered many of his brethren, and to the kree trusting in only having one way to easily deal with her. And where were all the personnel in the top secret base when things went down and why did they have no guard at the locked door.

I agree that Alita is the better film but would like you to elaborate.

The train is pretty much the only time I remember her interacting with the populace. After that she spends some time on a PC, ignores a guy on a bike and then spends the majority of the film with Fury. Stops at her friends house for some bonding and then gets to know and makes fun of Talos. Then their adventure to space.

What exactly did she act like she owned?

When she spars with Jude Law's character in the beginning, he tells her to control her powers (good advice despite the Kree manipulating her) only for her to use them anyway to win the session.

Near the end of the chase scene she lost the Skrull in a crowd of people. She randomly grabs someone on the shoulder and doesn't apologize nor say anything when she realizes they're innocent.

When she crashes into the Blockbuster she causes additional damage and doesn't take responsibility for any if it.

She stole some dude's bike just because he catcalled her.

When Fury asked her to prove she's not a Skrull she blasts the jukebox behind him instead of showing off outside where she wouldn't break anything important.

Carol Danvers's behavior for the majority of the movie rubbed me the wrong way. I'm concerned about her being the same room as Black Widow, Captain America, etc.

Teletraan1

Banned
Just got back. It was OK. Around mid tier Marvel movie for me. The fuss on the internet seems like more energy expended than what was warranted for a popcorn flick. I didn't find the SJW stuff to be too intrusive. Of course they are going to play up that she is a woman. The Mary Sue stuff didn't really bother me either.
Not everyone has to "earn" their powers. She did spend 6 years with an antagonistic alien race trying to keep her suppressed powers in check so I can excuse if she is just able to go nuts with no inhibitor. The fact that she is an asshole is probably from hanging around with the Kree deathsquad with crazy powers. I am sure that isn't courtesy class.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It matters to me because it's rare to see ambitious blockbuster action films do well that aren't Marvel or comic book related anymore.

Comic book movies have had their place in cinema since the 1930s, so they aren't going away , but a little diversity would be nice for folks like me that find Marvel films to be boring and forgettable.

Ok... Then the quality of the movie should shine through then.

The Matrix is one of the most ambitious action blockbuster movies in the last 20 years ... So was the LOTR trilogy.... And Harry Potter ... And Avatar (the James Cameron one)... And others in recent years and they did gangbusters ... There's definitely room for the movies that aren't from Marvel to shine ... But sadly they aren't all going to find their audience right away. Most non-Marvel CBMs don't make Marvel BO numbers... And that's not the fault of Marvel, either. The story can be ambitious but the script might not be the best or even mediocre.

Really depends on the appeal of the visuals and actors to pull people in... Not to mention word of mouth.

Red Letter Media has a good review up. Definitely not paying to see this one. Might be worth my time for free one rainy day.

Last edited:
I have a week of vacation time coming up in two weeks. I am on the fence if I want to bother with an early bird matinee viewing of this film if it's still in the local theater. Everyone saying the movie was ok, but Brie Larson's acting efforts were half assed and "phoned in" along with what seems to be a dull pacing throughout the movie are really making me not want to go.

I mean don't get me wrong. I enjoy the "turn your brain off" kind of movies to some extent, but the limit as to how much I can tolerate a film by doing that has lessened over the years.

sol_bad

Red Letter Media has a good review up. Definitely not paying to see this one. Might be worth my time for free one rainy day.

I love RedLetterMedia and watch all their Half in the Bags but cmon, they pretty much hate everything. Pretty excited to get home and watch their review for Captain Marvel actually, should be a good laugh.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
International numbers for Captain Marvel

Still shocked to see how well it did in China.

Nobody_Important

why china loves action blockbuster movies

Yeah, but Wonder Woman made $90 million during its run in China. Captain Marvel almost made that in its opening weekend.

Despite the fact that Wonder Woman is a much better known superhero than Captain Marvel is. Thats crazy to me.

One of the most worst reviewer of movies ever.

I think this comment below his video summed the review up well:

"The movie is not that great, but something great is gonna follow! So 7/10!"

Joe basically gave the film extra credit on the basis of other films.

Despite the fact that Wonder Woman is a much better known superhero than Captain Marvel is. Thats crazy to me.

In China they are equally unknown. It just comes down to marketing and the Chinese film goer market growing by 20% every year. Disnep has been shoving this down people's throats for months on every possible medium.

Last edited:
Yeah, but Wonder Woman made $90 million during its run in China. Captain Marvel almost made that in its opening weekend.

its probably because of marvels reputation and all the other movies they have been popping out

Nobody_Important

gal gadot is so much hotter than peanut head brie

Gal Gadot smokes. Thats a deal breaker for me regardless of how she looks so Brie wins in my book by default. Doesn't matter if a woman is attractive if everytime you kiss her its like making out with an ashtray.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Is it cigaweed or cigarette tho?
Cigarette.

DMN7JSRW4AAHc4T.jpg

sol_bad

Gal Gadot smokes. Thats a deal breaker for me regardless of how she looks so Brie wins in my book by default. Doesn't matter if a woman is attractive if everytime you kiss her its like making out with an ashtray.

With that Wonder Woman outfit, she could smoke whatever she wanted, preferably she'd be smoking my ......

see now he’s starting to show his cracks. he’s really only good in small doses because he just keeps repeating the same thing now.

i had high hopes that he would have some truly original material but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

for someone that truly respects art he has no sense providing any of his own.

also just looked over you 3 nuckleheads trying to decode my posting habits and i enjoyed it hahaha

ptuck874

well a little late, but i give it a 3 or 4 outta 10, I like brie in other movies, but the marvel wittiness, she just can't do, seems to forced or something, the anti aging effects really didn't work for me, I thought the cat would be cooler or something, prob best "good guy" part of the whole movie. When did skrulls become good guys? the fantastic four are shaking their heads... bad ass nic fury lost his eye to a cat scratch, could of used better 90's music, felt like it jumped all over the place flow wise, just didnt click, the space battle stuff was cool, but yeah, not a really good marvel flick, maybe the bar has been set too high lately, but it wasnt good, hope they dont make a part 2....

mckmas8808

Banned

Then those companies need to learn to make good comic book movies. The MCU has figured it out. The last Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse was really good.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I think this comment below his video summed the review up well:

Joe basically gave the film extra credit on the basis of other films.

In China they are equally unknown. It just comes down to marketing and the Chinese film goer market growing by 20% every year. Disnep has been shoving this down people's throats for months on every possible medium.
7/10 thats mean that the movie is awesome =P.

Nobody_Important

desktop-1439000186.jpg

I am here all day if you want to find more people who you like and smoke^^

edit: Man you edited your post before I could answer. not fair :p

I remembered that he smoked too right after I posted so I tried to ninja edit lol

Zangiefy360

Banned
Then those companies need to learn to make good comic book movies. The MCU has figured it out. The last Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse was really good.

They've figured out how to make formulaic, crowd pleasing movies, not good movies. Marvel movies are like Coca Cola, consistent, but ultimately empty calories.

mckmas8808

Banned
They've figured out how to make formulaic, crowd pleasing movies, not good movies. Marvel movies are like Coca Cola, consistent, but ultimately empty calories.

In your opinion of course. The MCU movies only get this type of response from some people because of their consistency. Alot of the MCU movies don't operate o the same formula as each other. I'd say the MCU movies are more like In-N-Out or Five Guys burgers. Good tasting, but not the healthiest available option.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Just saw it. I thought the internet was doing it's thing when they said she can't act, but holy crap Brie is so freaking stiff in this movie.

JLMC469

Banned

I like them and think (most) are good movies. Captain America 2 is still the best movie they have made (IMO of course).

pramod

Banned
When a new Marvel movie drops, I'm always hoping for a big bomb, not because of controversy, but due to fatigue by the movie going public (similar to what we saw for Solo).

When they can dig down to 3rd and 4th tier superheroes and still make almost half a billion opening week, it doesn't give me much hope that the public is going to get tired of these mediocre, formulaic, retreads anytime soon.

I guess I just don't get the appeal -- maybe I'm too old, or my standards are too high because I was raised in home where my parents exposed me to great movies from a very young age?

Like I said it's a formula. Sam L .Jackson is arguably the most popular movie star of all time. Brie Larson is an oscar winner. Marvel doesnt fuck around. They hire A++ list stars to crack jokes, have fun, and fight bad guys. It is not a mystery why these movies have mass appeal.

Top Bottom