• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Marvel Response and Reactions

Doom85

I'm sorry, but sometimes it blows my mind that people still can't be pleased by modern superhero movies. When I grew up, it was the 90's where we were getting the likes of Batman Forever/Robin, Spawn, Steel, The Phantom, etc. The sort of stuff that just screamed, "eh, we don't care as long as we get paid something, let's just make a movie and not think about making any effort on it, and I do mean ANY effort." And outside of that, most other blockbuster films were generic disaster films that often used the same "threat" within the same year (whether it was a meteor, volcano, tornado, etc.) Disney held themselves together for the most part of the decade but then started slipping near the end too and didn't recover until 2009 (Pixar did pick up the slack for the most part during that time).

Then Peter Jackson came in with his LOTR trilogy and told blockbusters to get their shit together and they seemed to listen. We started getting the likes of X-men, Spider-man, Nolan's Batman, and then the MCU. Superhero movies finally gave a damn after nearly a decade of not caring.

And I don't see what's so formulaic about it that isn't just common for blockbusters in general. Might as well go whine at the Star Wars OT for not breaking the mold or something. I care far more about execution than originality (which you can really break about anything apart and realize it's not as original as you thought). At least superhero movies are now venturing into wildly different territory as well. You can be in a historical war (Cap 1, Wonder Woman), a action political thriller (Dark Knight, Cap 2, Black Panther), a sci-fi (Guardians of the Galaxy), mythological/fantasy (Thor, Dr. Strange), a heist film (Ant-man), etc. I'm not watching Winter Soldier and thinking, "gee, this is a lot like Ant-man" because, well, it isn't.

Sorry, but growing up during the 90's and how very few good blockbuster films there were outside of Disney's animated films, the 2000's and especially the 2010's are a freaking godsend in comparison. Like maybe one prefers the ones from the 70's and 80's (although one can easily say they're just as "formulaic" but again that's not necessarily bad) but good god mainstream movies have had a terrible era in my lifetime and it definitely isn't the modern one in my eyes. Even some of the weaker blockbuster films today I say are still more watchable than many from the 90's, and to quote Samuel L. Jackson himself from one of the few good blockbusters of the 90's: "it could have been worse, ________. A lot worse."

"likes of Batman Forever/Robin, Spawn, Steel, The Phantom, etc. "

hey man i enjoyed every one of these movies. except steel never seen that one

Doom85

Doom85 Doom85 What did you think about the film itself, though?

I know you thought much less of it IIRC, but for me it feel somewhere in between "good" and "pretty good" (if that makes sense). Larson is fine in the role, not great but not bad but this is a pretty standard, vanilla type of protagonist. Jackson is pretty fun and engaging. Monica and her daughter are fairly good. I like how they handled the Skrulls and Kree as it does deviate from the comics but not in a bad way. The first 10-15 minutes are pretty rough but the movie picked up for me once she got to Earth. The fights were decent and yeah Carol owns everyone hard at the end but given the threat level they threw at her of course she did. It's like complaining how Superman owned Steppenwolf in the JL movie, of course he did because it's STEPPENWOLF, he's not a complete pushover but he was never near Superman's level in the comics as far as I remember, heck I was baffled that he was giving Wonder Woman that much of a hard time (and heck, you got Avengers which hilariously pointed out that Loki by himself isn't really THAT powerful). It's fine for a first film to do that as long as the threat level is more evenly matched with the hero in the sequel (this is where Age of Ultron stumbled a bit, Ultron was more powerful than Loki but not enough, good lord even he seemed to think Hulk could take him. Thankfully Thanos finally fixed this).

It helps that while I've read a few Carol comics here and there she's one I'm not fully familiar with her whole backstory and such so this was new territory for me unlike most of the MCU heroes who I generally know more of. Frankly, I'm more excited to see Kamala Khan arrive as Ms. Marvel in the MCU (Kevin Feige confirmed they have plans to bring her in eventually) as I've read about 50 issues of her series and she's much more of a three-dimensional character to me than Carol who's a bit more two-dimensional.

Doom85

If you guys enjoyed them, more power to you, but I'd rather re-watch even the likes of Green Lantern and X-men: Origins Wolverine over any of those four. I think the only modern superhero movie I'd rate lower than some of those 90's ones is 2015 Fantastic Four (and that's the 2nd most BORING superhero movie to me, #1 being 2003 Hulk and #3 being Superman Returns).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Doom85 Doom85 Justice League came to mind with Captain Marvel, yeah, but CM has far less of a central conflict than Justice League, even, which is already on the thin side. JL puts in some work to earn its power fantasy Superman victory with a protracted resurrection arc for most of the run time, and the Evil Supes confrontation moment (the high point of the film). It's still ultimately a lame resolution, but not really due to Superman so much as Steppenwolf being a generic, bland, weak antagonist that couldn't carry the film well.

sol_bad

I can understand why @Zangiefy360 is annoyed about the action genre as a whole. More variety and original ideas in the genre would only be a good thing.

The unfortunate fact is when you look at the top 100 grossing action films of all time, at least 64 of them are comic book based or a sequel to a franchise. The 101st movie is GI Joe: Retaliation, it made 375 millon, cost 130 million to make. It's almost not worth making a big expensive action blockbuster if it's not comic base and franchise based.

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/worldwide/all-movies/genres/action

*EDIT*
70's, 80's 90's action flicks are more formulaic than comic book movies these days. They were all about rescuing a woman, rescuing a kid or stopping the bad guy from selling drugs.

*EDIT 2*
And yes, I can't wait to see Kamala Kahn in the MCU, she is an amazing character. Also for Rogue to steal Captain Marvel's power, maybe that is what will make her less powerful and more grounded.

Last edited:

Doom85

Yeah, Steppenwolf felt like he was only chosen to set up Darkseid but even the set-up was poorly done for non-comic readers, the single post-credits scene of Avengers 1 cemented Thanos in audience's minds far more effectively. The antagonist in Captain Marvel isn't great (especially compared to the last two years of MCU villains which have really been on the ball) but not bad and at least feels like a character compared to Steppenwolf. It helps that half his lines don't contain the word "mother".

If they do make a JL 2, they should at least watch the Justice League/JLU cartoon to find better villains who are a good threat even to Superman and have more engaging personalities. I mean, really I wouldn't even waste Steppenwolf on a solo Superman movie so it was kinda weird seeing him to be the villain of the first ever JL film. I mean, Loki could arguably be seen as an odd choice too, but he at least has a personal connection to one of the heroes and it's a nod to the original first Avengers issue where he was the antagonist.

Christopher

This movie sucked ass and I was assuming it would be a SJW preach fest nope it just sucks....

Who directed this shit? It’s incoherent as fuck in terms of a narrative.

pramod

Banned
I'm sorry, but sometimes it blows my mind that people still can't be pleased by modern superhero movies. When I grew up, it was the 90's where we were getting the likes of Batman Forever/Robin, Spawn, Steel, The Phantom, etc. The sort of stuff that just screamed, "eh, we don't care as long as we get paid something, let's just make a movie and not think about making any effort on it, and I do mean ANY effort." And outside of that, most other blockbuster films were generic disaster films that often used the same "threat" within the same year (whether it was a meteor, volcano, tornado, etc.) Disney held themselves together for the most part of the decade but then started slipping near the end too and didn't recover until 2009 (Pixar did pick up the slack for the most part during that time).

Then Peter Jackson came in with his LOTR trilogy and told blockbusters to get their shit together and they seemed to listen. We started getting the likes of X-men, Spider-man, Nolan's Batman, and then the MCU. Superhero movies finally gave a damn after nearly a decade of not caring.

And I don't see what's so formulaic about it that isn't just common for blockbusters in general. Might as well go whine at the Star Wars OT for not breaking the mold or something. I care far more about execution than originality (which you can really break about anything apart and realize it's not as original as you thought). At least superhero movies are now venturing into wildly different territory as well. You can be in a historical war (Cap 1, Wonder Woman), a action political thriller (Dark Knight, Cap 2, Black Panther), a sci-fi (Guardians of the Galaxy), mythological/fantasy (Thor, Dr. Strange), a heist film (Ant-man), etc. I'm not watching Winter Soldier and thinking, "gee, this is a lot like Ant-man" because, well, it isn't.

Sorry, but growing up during the 90's and how very few good blockbuster films there were outside of Disney's animated films, the 2000's and especially the 2010's are a freaking godsend in comparison. Like maybe one prefers the ones from the 70's and 80's (although one can easily say they're just as "formulaic" but again that's not necessarily bad) but good god mainstream movies have had a terrible era in my lifetime and it definitely isn't the modern one in my eyes. Even some of the weaker blockbuster films today I say are still more watchable than many from the 90's, and to quote Samuel L. Jackson himself from one of the few good blockbusters of the 90's: "it could have been worse, ________. A lot worse."

Yeah the 90s were pretty horrible when it came to action blockbusters. It was the decade of buddy cop films and the Die Hard clones. At least super hero movies might have different types of plot, in these DH clones the setup of every movie was exactly the same(ie lone hero kills all the bad guys)

Last edited:

K1Expwy

Nearly every first edition of a superhero movie seems like an echo of Batman Begins (and Ang Lee Hulk), with in-depth origin stories that rationalizes the silliness of a hero's costume and powers. At least to me, it's like watching the same story with a different backdrop. That's being general since I can think of a few exceptions.

Depending on how high your standards are, Point Break, Terminator 2, Crimson Tide, The Crow, The Professional, Clear and Present Danger, True Lies, Goldeneye, Heat if that counts, Mission Impossible, Face/Off, The Rock, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Con Air, Ronin, The Matrix are all fine (mainstream) action movies from the 1990s. I'd say most of them are more varied than today's superhero movies, the MCU in particular.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
tbh i hadnt kept up with the controversy. i hadn't heard any of her comments until Red Letter Media. they weren't really bad at all, she just sounded annoying, and her character comes across that way, as a smug, annoying person.

im glad they shat on people doing fundraisers to send poor kids to a movie. especially considering the lower class is where the military have their biggest recruitment from, the idea of just giving that money straight over the heads of these poor people and into the pocket of these fake ass movie studios, and "rewarding" these kids by removing them from school and actually learning something for the day and having them watch this amoral claptrap instead. rather than give that money to the kids themselves, or a charity, or something actually useful, and then crow about how brave they are for it, is the ultimate public admission that the System has and will continue to fail these kids and will even pat themselves on the back for it. jfc

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
im glad they shat on people doing fundraisers to send poor kids to a movie. especially considering the lower class is where the military have their biggest recruitment from, the idea of just giving that money straight over the heads of these poor people and into the pocket of the these fake ass movie studios, and "rewarding" these kids by removing them from school and actually learning something for the day and having them watch this amoral claptrap, rather than give that money to the kids themselves, or a charity, or something actually useful, and then FUCKING CROW ABOUT IT is the ultimate admission that the System has and will continue to fail these kids and will even pat themselves on the back for it. jfc

Pack themselves on the back + actively promote and enforce a culture where each individual must conform to their standards or be cast out

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I thought it was okay. They seemed to drop the ball on the whole "main character has amnesia and is trying to remember her past" trope. It wasn't resolved very effectively, in my opinion. It lacked tension and urgency.

Ovek

7Member7
I thought it was okay. They seemed to drop the ball on the whole "main character has amnesia and is trying to remember her past" trope. It wasn't resolved very effectively, in my opinion. It lacked tension and urgency.

Was it ever resolved? Or was she supposed to remember who she was the second time she was in the Matrix talking to AI Annette Bening?

WaterAstro

Is this the OT? Well whatever. Does anyone know if the movie is self-contained enough that you don't need to watch the rest of the Marvel Movies?

I'm getting my girlfriend caught up to watch Infinity War, but if we could just watch Captain Marvel in theatres now, that would be good.

Bwesh

Is this the OT? Well whatever. Does anyone know if the movie is self-contained enough that you don't need to watch the rest of the Marvel Movies?

I'm getting my girlfriend caught up to watch Infinity War, but if we could just watch Captain Marvel in theatres now, that would be good.
It is. Set in the 90s so none of the previous MCU movies happened yet.

Ending credits is just a short tease of endgame ala civil war on the ending of Ant Man.

oagboghi2

tbh i hadnt kept up with the controversy. i hadn't heard any of her comments until Red Letter Media. they weren't really bad at all, she just sounded annoying, and her character comes across that way, as a smug, annoying person.

im glad they shat on people doing fundraisers to send poor kids to a movie. especially considering the lower class is where the military have their biggest recruitment from, the idea of just giving that money straight over the heads of these poor people and into the pocket of these fake ass movie studios, and "rewarding" these kids by removing them from school and actually learning something for the day and having them watch this amoral claptrap instead. rather than give that money to the kids themselves, or a charity, or something actually useful, and then crow about how brave they are for it, is the ultimate public admission that the System has and will continue to fail these kids and will even pat themselves on the back for it. jfc
As if those kids won't end up watching that movie a thousand times during their life anyway. It's Disney.

I think it really shows how effective this marketing is. People think these movies are cultural moments. It's embarrassing.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I thought that it was a solid marvel movie. I didn't know anything about Captain marvel, I didn't know that she was that powerful.

Yeah Captain Marvel has always been a stupidly powerful character. Even in the Comics. Right now I put her slightly ahead of Thor I think as the strongest Avenger.

Yeah Captain Marvel has always been a stupidly powerful character. Even in the Comics. Right now I put her slightly ahead of Thor I think as the strongest Avenger.
He can withstand the heat and radiation of the sun, can survive in space, and can live for thousands of years. I'd say you are on point.

Last edited:

MC Safety

Would rather have had Jim Starlin's wonderful death of Captain Marvel, but this wasn't awful. There were some nice moments between Carol and her friends.

Nobody_Important

He can withstand the heat and radiation of the sun, can survive in space, and can live for thousands of years. I'd say you are on point.

I'm not saying Thor is some punk. I am just saying I think the two of them are very close in terms of destructive power at the moment.

mckmas8808

Banned
The Rocketeer was 10x the movie Captain America is

I liked The Rocketeer, but 10x is insane. I'd say they were about even.

This has got to be one of the worse takes I've ever read or heard about (not your take, but the take of Red Letter Media's). This is one of the most classless ways of viewing the poor. As if the only thing that can bring them any good is one extra day of "education". Because if they miss that one extra day, they'll continue being poor for the rest of their lives.

As if a field day to do something fun can't be a benefit of going to school. As if "rewarding" them with a 2-hour movie is a bad thing. If you or anybody else really ACTUALLY cared about those kids is some deep way, they'd realize one extra day of class is not the deal breaker that's keeping them from success in life.

Kevin Smith reacts to the Stan Lee cameo. Mild spoiler, obviously

Very sincere and heartwarming word from Kev, as usual.

The biggest takeaway for me is that the directors who made this also made Half-Nelson, I believe back in 2007. That’s one of my favorite movies of all time. I had no idea they directed it.

Go see Half-Nelson if you haven’t. It’s great. Gosling and the girl (I don’t know her name) are fantastic. There’s a pretty simple scene in the movie so masterfully crafted with a perfect song choice, I’ll remember it for the rest of my life. I would post a clip to the scene but it loses power out of context with the rest of the film.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Captain America comes before in terms of the timeline but you dont need to watch it for this although it helps a little. CM thumbs its nose at most of the MCU' continuity so watching it first doesnt matter much anyway.

Nobody_Important

The biggest takeaway for me is that the directors who made this also made Half-Nelson, I believe back in 2007. That’s one of my factories movies of all time. Go see Half-Nelson if you haven’t. It’s great. Gosling and the girl (I don’t know her name) are fantastic.

Kevin Smith has been looking so much better lately now that he has lost the weight after his heart attack. I'm glad he has been sticking to his diet.

Last edited:

MC Safety

This has got to be one of the worse takes I've ever read or heard about (not your take, but the take of Red Letter Media's). This is one of the most classless ways of viewing the poor. As if the only thing that can bring them any good is one extra day of "education". Because if they miss that one extra day, they'll continue being poor for the rest of their lives.

As if a field day to do something fun can't be a benefit of going to school. As if "rewarding" them with a 2-hour movie is a bad thing. If you or anybody else really ACTUALLY cared about those kids is some deep way, they'd realize one extra day of class is not the deal breaker that's keeping them from success in life.

It would probably be more appropriate, and certainly more beneficial, to give kids Marvel Comics. Not that the comics have educational value, but at least the kids would be reading something and maybe getting a sense of sequential storytelling.

My contention with the films as reward bit is there's no educational value to seeing Captain Marvel. People are hyping these big-budget action films as important, but they are nothing of the sort. If you're going to have field trips or reward kids there needs to be a reason, and the reward should have some educational tie-in.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The biggest takeaway for me is that the directors who made this also made Half-Nelson, I believe back in 2007. That’s one of my factories movies of all time. I had no idea they directed it.

Go see Half-Nelson if you haven’t. It’s great. Gosling and the girl (I don’t know her name) are fantastic. There’s a pretty simple scene in the movie so masterfully crafted with a perfect song choice, I’ll remember it for the rest of my life. I would post a clip to the scene but it loses power out of context with the rest of the film.

Thanks for posting this. Very emotional. To think, if Smith's heart attack had been just a little more severe, he wouldn't be around to have experienced this joy. Makes you appreciate what you have.

sol_bad

Captain America comes before in terms of the timeline but you dont need to watch it for this although it helps a little. CM thumbs its nose at most of the MCU' continuity so watching it first doesnt matter much anyway.

It doesn't thumb it's nose at MCU continuity, it fills in gaps.

Thanks for posting this. Very emotional. To think, if Smith's heart attack had been just a little more severe, he wouldn't be around to have experienced this joy. Makes you appreciate what you have.

It’s almost a shame that Kev had been tipped off beforehand. I understand why, but imagine if he had seen it completely unaware.

I know he hasn’t made a good movie in awhile, and he might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but the passion he evokes when speaking of Stan Lee and anything comic book related is something I always enjoy listening to. He truly loves that whole universe.

It would probably be more appropriate, and certainly more beneficial, to give kids Marvel Comics. Not that the comics have educational value, but at least the kids would be reading something and maybe getting a sense of sequential storytelling.

My contention with the films as reward bit is there's no educational value to seeing Captain Marvel. People are hyping these big-budget action films as important, but they are nothing of the sort. If you're going to have field trips or reward kids there needs to be a reason, and the reward should have some educational tie-in.

I can spin it a lot of ways, such as seeing the movie being a morale booster because kids deserve to be happy.

But ultimately who knows what the plan is for the day? It could have been learning about women's history got the day and then capping it off with the movie.

mckmas8808

Banned

tenor.gif

And I disagree that everything relating to school "HAS" to have an educational tie-in. Sometimes giving kids something to do that's fun is also okay. Teachers take their kids to Amusement parks all the time. That's always been viewed as okay.

MC Safety

And I disagree that everything relating to school "HAS" to have an educational tie-in. Sometimes giving kids something to do that's fun is also okay. Teachers take their kids to Amusement parks all the time. That's always been viewed as okay.

I said field trips should have some educational tie-in. There are other elements associated with school attendance, but I was referring to a specific event.

Why are school trips to the theme park okay? Just because?

I can spin it a lot of ways, such as seeing the movie being a morale booster because kids deserve to be happy.

But ultimately who knows what the plan is for the day? It could have been learning about women's history got the day and then capping it off with the movie.

Those are some weak spins. Like not even a full revolution spin.

Take your students to the museum, not Captain Marvel. It's more important to learn stuff than to feel good by watching some action movie.

Last edited:

kunonabi

It doesn't thumb it's nose at MCU continuity, it fills in gaps.

It contradicts Iron Man, both Avengers films, and winter soldier. You can hand wave some stuff and use mental gymnastics to get around some of it but the film is still damn sloppy compared to everything else outside of Homecoming.

I said field trips should have some educational tie-in. There are other elements associated with school attendance, but I was referring to a specific event.

Why are school trips to the theme park okay? Just because?

Those are some weak spins. Like not even a full revolution spin.

Take your students to the museum, not Captain Marvel. It's more important to learn stuff than to feel good by watching some action movie.

I exampled how they could have learned something.

But unless we know more than "kids went to a movie for a school field trip", there's not much to say.

Theme park trips are morale and camraderie boosters in my experience, I had two of them K-12. They weren't even tied to science or physics lessons. They let us kids be kids.

Last edited:
It contradicts Iron Man, both Avengers films, and winter soldier. You can hand wave some stuff and use mental gymnastics to get around some of it but the film is still damn sloppy compared to everything else outside of Homecoming.

I don’t feel it’s necesserily a big deal but I do agree (and I’ve stated previously) that this movie seemingly retcons a couple things somewhat unnecessarily, in my opinion.

I think it’s more a problem with timing. This should have been a Phase One film, she could have had cameos in the GOTG films in the meantime before showing up again for Endgame

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I haven't thought about it enough yet so just asking is probably faster : what specifically does it contradict?

oagboghi2

That's a hell of a high horse to ride on, when these advertisers are constantly pretending that these films are vital to a person's self-esteem. It's a shitty way to market a movie, and RLM are right to point that out.

mckmas8808

Banned
That's a hell of a high horse to ride on, when these advertisers are constantly pretending that these films are vital to a person's self-esteem. It's a shitty way to market a movie, and RLM are right to point that out.

What did advertisers say about this movie and a person's self-esteem? I didn't see those ads.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

What did advertisers say about this movie and a person's self-esteem? I didn't see those ads.
You missed the boatloads of blogs and articles claiming that CM and black panther are culturally important representation because they are "marvel first *blank*" or are you just blind?

mckmas8808

Banned
You missed the boatloads of blogs and articles claiming that CM and black panther are culturally important representation because they are "marvel first *blank*" or are you just blind?

Oh those? LOL!!! I saw those. I don't view those as advertisements. Those are just articles. And besides, aren't those just plain facts? You can debate if it should be important for people based on the representation, but I mean......she was the first female lead in a MCU movie. And Black Panther was the first black lead in a MCU movie, so......those articles are just stating facts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom