• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Marvel Response and Reactions

Nymphae

Banned

This guy's channel is now my preferred way to get a cliff's notes version of shit I will never watch. His TLJ review was great I thought.

I like the bit here where he mentions the Shield name joke, in CM they just call it Shield without using the Strategic Homeland yadda yadda yadda. it's kind of surprising to me that they would miss something like that, which was a running gag previously.

Also, I will give props to whoever came up with the idea to have Stan Lee reading the Mallrats script on the bus, great little reference there.

Last edited:

kunonabi

This guy's channel is now my preferred way to get a cliff's notes version of shit I will never watch. His TLJ review was great I thought.

I like the bit here where he mentions the Shield name joke, in CM they just call it Shield without using the Strategic Homeland yadda yadda yadda. it's kind of surprising to me that they would miss something like that, which was a running gag previously.

Also, I will give props to whoever came up with the idea to have Stan Lee reading the Mallrats script on the bus, great little reference there.

Yeah, mauler's movie stuff is pretty good aside from his Black Panther vid.

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah, mauler's movie stuff is pretty good aside from his Black Panther vid.

Haven't seen that one yet, what's your issue with it? All the stuff of his I've watched I have liked so far, sometimes he does make my eyes roll a bit, but for the most part he makes very good points and edits his videos well.

yes congrats on the world's biggest media company successfully marketing a 50 year old IP with a 21 film promotional lead-up to its release.

some days you think multinational conglomerations won't make money but, by golly, against all odds, they do!

Hey man, don't be the guy in my tag.

MetalAlien

Banned

I am really enjoying this but the science he tries to talk about at 1:10:35 is so incredibly bad it makes me wonder if he even went to high school.

highrider

Banned
Hey man, don't be the guy in my tag.

His point stands though. There’s a significant corporate/media machine behind the film. That’s not really a statement about the quality of the movie itself. I also felt it was an appropriate snark level for the subject matter lol. I haven’t seen it but I’m not surprised it’s done well.

MetalAlien

Banned
Ha this one is sweet. He directly contradicts her... no joking or teasing... just a straight up diss.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Ha this one is sweet. He directly contradicts her... no joking or teasing... just a straight up diss.

It's a good thing she demanded that less white men interview her so that this complete amateur they can't even understand while he speaks got his chance to waste their time.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
So you think he conducted that interview well? He got to that point in his life where he's interviewing the stars of a billion dollar movie based on his interviewing talents?
Not sure what you're talking about now. The point is they understood his questions. You did too.

If you want to talk about the quality of his interview, feel free to switch but that wasn't the post I was quoting. The interview seems about in line with every other holloywood fluff job. It's also blatantly obvious they're giving an interview to an Indian network while touring in Asia. Not sure what the hell this has to do with your "white people cant catch any breaks" shtick.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Not sure what you're talking about now. The point is they understood his questions. You did too.

If you want to talk about the quality of his interview, feel free to switch but that wasn't the post I was quoting. The interview seems about in line with every other holloywood fluff job. It's also blatantly obvious they're giving an interview to an Indian network while touring in Asia. Not sure what the hell this has to do with your "white people cant catch any breaks" shtick.
You've taken a turn I can't follow anymore. You'll have to go down that road on your own, traveler.

This guy sucks at interviewing, Jeremy Renner clearly can't even understand him at at least one point in that video, and it's only funny to point out because Brie Larson was very vocal about not being interviewed by white people who would have most likely done a better job.

I haven't been here in a while but did anyone notice how on the Rotten Tomatoes site Captain Marvel disappeared from the top releases when the user reviews turned rotten. It's almost like they wanted to hide it from view to prevent more user reviews.....

I thought CM was ok but as the film went on the messier things got. I enjoyed the 90s homages until sequences just turned into music videos.

Fury and Coulson saved this movie.

Welp, she had a good run.

D5nwgMMUEAAr8Wr

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019...played-by-gay-woman-of-color-not-brie-larson/

Nymphae

Banned
Sign the shit out of this. Make sure she can't ignore it, I'd be fascinated to see how she handles it.

It would be spun so that it's just a "harrasment campaign" against her from white males, assuming it isn't just completely ignored which is most likely.

That's nearly a two hour rant about Captain Marvel. Goddamn.

Did you watch it? His videos are pretty entertaining as far as the "british dude does a VO critique of pop culture item" genre goes.
The run time had me concerned, but I'll give it a shot now that you said it is pretty entertaining. Some youtubers that cover this kind of stuff can either be entertaining or embarrassing.

Nymphae

Banned
The run time had me concerned, but I'll give it a shot now that you said it is pretty entertaining. Some youtubers that cover this kind of stuff can either be entertaining or embarrassing.

Totally agree, I think this guy just has really good critiques overall, I particularly like his Star Wars videos. Out of that whole CM video there were maybe 1 or 2 points I felt he was stretching a bit, but for the most part his analysis is great I think.

My only gripe is sometimes he's reusing the same scenes in the background over and over because he doesn't have access to the actual film to edit yet, but he does a pretty good job of trying to make the visuals match up with what he's talking about.

But basically, watch 10 or 15 minutes of one of his videos and if you like the vibe and the critiques he makes, you'll probably enjoy the rest.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I like the Mauler videos for the most part, but he needs to learn to edit himself down a little bit. Some points he makes are absurdly drawn out and repetitive.

And yeah, he should wait until he can get his hands on a better copy of the movies so he can splice in the real clips for what he's talking about. His videos have long legs, so it's a shame when someone stumbles upon one of them months later and sees horrible cam footage because that's all he could find.

Tesseract

Banned
it's telling and grossly disgusting that you guys as a bunch of cisgendered heteronormative toxic male misognists would attack brie larson like this

sorry white dudes, your time is up

celebrate diversity by throwing a white dude into a dumpster, incel trash where they belong

Last edited:

n0razi

If I had to rank it after one watch I'd put it in my Tier 3 which includes Thor: the Dark World, Thor: Ragnarok, and Iron Man 2. For the record the only movie I have lower than those is The Incredible Hulk.

Wut... Ragnorak is arguably a top 2 MCU film

MetalAlien

Banned
it's telling and grossly disgusting that you guys as a bunch of cisgendered heteronormative toxic male misognists would attack brie larson like this

sorry white dudes, your time is up

celebrate diversity by throwing a white dude into a dumpster, incel trash where they belong
Just an FYI, It's impossible to parady the left. Nothing you can come up with will be as crazy as what they come up with themselves.

gatti-man

You've taken a turn I can't follow anymore. You'll have to go down that road on your own, traveler.

This guy sucks at interviewing, Jeremy Renner clearly can't even understand him at at least one point in that video, and it's only funny to point out because Brie Larson was very vocal about not being interviewed by white people who would have most likely done a better job.
It’s a foreign interview and she said she wanted balance and inclusion. Which is fine. Also everyone and their dog interviews movie stars when they are pumping their flicks. This isn’t a big deal well except to you bc you have some hate boner for Larsen

Pejo

So I went to see CM before Endgame last week. It wasn't nearly as overbearingly feminist as some outlets led me to believe. It wasn't a classic, but it wasn't bad either. I'd give it a strong 7/10.

This isn't necessarily about this movie, but I just wish we could get one Marvel hero that doesn't have that lighthearted joke-spewing "above it all" attitude.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So I went to see CM before Endgame last week. It wasn't nearly as overbearingly feminist as some outlets led me to believe. It wasn't a classic, but it wasn't bad either. I'd give it a strong 7/10.

This isn't necessarily about this movie, but I just wish we could get one Marvel hero that doesn't have that lighthearted joke-spewing "above it all" attitude.

Its very good middle of the road..probably like 11th position in all 20 movies.
OH for second request , watch Blade :)

JCK75

I wanted to wait until I could rent it to check it out.
I dislike Brie very much but I assumed this would be a solidly enjoyable B- with some woke cringe moments, and man was I wrong.

I found it joyless, soulless and almost completely devoid of fun. It felt more like an episode of Agents of Shield than an actual movie. The cringe moments were way more cringe than I expected them to be and I really wish they had kept Nick Fury out of this moment because they have pretty much ruined his character for me now.

I give it a D+

kunonabi

Anybody else notice that despite completely overhauling their site to protect CM, Rotten Tomatoes is actually allowing audience scores prior to release despite claims to the contrary? It's almost like they're completely full of shit.

sol_bad

Anybody else notice that despite completely overhauling their site to protect CM, Rotten Tomatoes is actually allowing audience scores prior to release despite claims to the contrary? It's almost like they're completely full of shit.

What do you mean?

No audience score

No audience score.

No audience score.

No audience score.

Top Bottom