• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Marvel sales are bombing, here is why

bitbydeath

Shocked, not shocked.

At the first store there was a big promo stand for Captain Marvel packed to the brim at the entrance. I walked to the back of the store to the DVD section and saw an additional two rows of Blu Rays and there were only a couple of copies missing. I figured out that they must have just restocked so I asked the sales guy if that was the case. He told me that they weren’t selling many copies and he suspected it was because people were waiting for Avengers: End Game

A quick Google search will show that plenty stores across the States are actually overstocked.

It wouldn’t be fair to say that the launch has been a failure. Approximately 1 million copies have already been sold, but, after the first week, sales are on a steep downwards trend dropping nearly 80%; this kind of drop is unheard of, especially for a blockbuster smash like Captain Marvel.

tkscz

I didn't see the movie but all my friends who did swear that the only thing they remember from it was the cat. They kept telling me Captain Marvel herself was boring and they didn't care for her. Girlfriend told me what I assume most people went to see the movie for, they thought it would be closely related to End Game. Doesn't surprise me the DVD/Blu-Rays aren't selling.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Whoa,, this is major.
Wait, this is for the DVD/Blu Ray/UHD release?
Hmm, this is for the second week after a huge first week?
Huh, this is from Australia?
WTF, most of this seems to be anecdotal.

That is pathetic. Did it really bother you that much?
The movie was a massive success, there's literally no way to spin it.

Papa

Banned
49FvwNz.jpg

Xiaoki

Captain Marvel made over a billion at the box office but its a flop.

Captain Marvel had sold almost 2 million in DVD/BR sales in the first 2 weeks but its bombing.

The numbers from this source dont line up with other, more reliable, sources. Also, not going to trust any source that begins with "I looked in the back and there were plenty of copies so obviously its not selling".

MetalAlien

Banned

brap

Banned
I just bought this one...

Ah, a Charles Band production. Watched Laserblast last weekend. This is the type of shit I be watchin and buyin.

i dont care about your animus
I don't own any Annie may

Last edited:

sevoro

Captain Marvel made over a billion at the box office but its a flop.

Captain Marvel had sold almost 2 million in DVD/BR sales in the first 2 weeks but its bombing.

The numbers from this source dont line up with other, more reliable, sources. Also, not going to trust any source that begins with "I looked in the back and there were plenty of copies so obviously its not selling".
Link to sources please.

Also this seems like non-news to me. DVDs sold out, but not the Blu-Rays?

Nymphae

Banned
I have about 200 blu-ray's of obscure movies none of you have ever heard of

And that stuff probably isn't on the major streaming services. I feel like people just lap up whatever is being served up on Netflix/ in Hollywood these days and don't really even have any way to find older gems anymore. They're all still there on physical media, but how do people who don't know what they're looking for find this stuff? I've ranted before about how difficult it is to curate decade specific lists on Netlix, it's as if they really don't want you to revisit the past, those just cost them money for licences anyway, here, maybe you'd like this Netflix Original? If it wasn't a Netflix recommendation, or they didn't see it in a listicle about top ten X movies of the 80's, how would someone even know about, say, Harry and the Henderson's these days? You used to get some exposure to stuff just going to the Blockbuster or convenience store movie aisle and looking at random stuff, renting a few for the hell of it. Because they had everything, there were no licence deals and movies there one week and gone the next - these places had all the current stuff, and nearly everything you'd want going back many decades. Browsing around Netflix is in no way comparable to browsing around rental places in their heydays.

Remember how Netlifx got popular in the first place? It wasn't streaming garbage, that is still relatively new. No they made their bones mailing people physical copies of movies they already had interest in. It was just a huge online Blockbuster. It doesn't feel like that anymore.

Last edited:

MetalAlien

Banned
Ah, a Charles Band production. Watched Laserblast last weekend. This is the type of shit I be watchin and buyin.

I love Laserblast. I saw it first run. I saw Prison first run as well Vegas was one of the few places that got it. It's a wonderful movie that got totally forgotten, like Dead Heat. Prison is on youtube for free if you want to test before you buy. Check out Dead Heat if you haven't seen that one!

DESTROYA

Well it did make gross over 1 billion dollars at the box office worldwide, maybe DVD sales are slow but I wouldn’t exactly call it a bomb overall.

brap

Banned
And that stuff probably isn't on the major streaming services.
Do not estimate the power of Amazon Prime and Tubi my son. I'm surprised by how much is on there.

I feel like people just lap up whatever is being served up on Netflix/ in Hollywood these days and don't really even have any way to find older gems anymore. They're all still there on physical media, but how do people who don't know what they're looking for find this stuff? I've ranted before about how difficult it is to curate decade specific lists on Netlix, it's as if they really don't want you to revisit the past, those just cost them money for licences anyway, here, maybe you'd like this Netflix Original? If it wasn't a Netflix recommendation, or they didn't see it in a listicle about top ten X movies of the 80's, how would someone even know about, say, Harry and the Henderson's these days? You used to get some exposure to stuff just going to the Blockbuster or convenience store movie aisle and looking at random stuff, renting a few for the hell of it. Beacuse they had everything, there were no licence deals and movies there one week and gone the next - these places had all the current stuff, and nearly everything you'd want going back many decades. Browsing around Netflix is in no way comparable to browsing around rental places in their heydays.

Remember how Netlifx got popular in the first place? It wasn't streaming garbage, that is still relatively new. No they made their bones mailing people physical copies of movies they actually already had interest in. It was just a huge online Blockbuster. It doesn't feel like that anymore.
I feel like people don't even care anymore. Gotta watch the newest hollywood shit so you can post about it on twitter then forget all about it!

I love Laserblast. I saw it first run. I saw Prison first run as well Vegas was one of the few places that got it. It's a wonderful movie that got totally forgotten, like Dead Heat. Prison is on youtube for free if you want to test before you buy. Check out Dead Heat if you haven't seen that one!
I'll look into both of them. :messenger_relieved:

Nymphae

Banned
Do not estimate the power of Amazon Prime and Tubi my son. I'm surprised by how much is on there.

I have Prime and yeah, I'm surprised at the number of movies and TV shows from the 80's and 90's. For my tastes, at the moment it's far better than Netflix, but we'll see how long before the well dries up. I've never even heard of Tubi. We're at a point where I feel there are just too many competing services. I just said enough is enough, I don't watch enough stuff or care about keeping up with modern TV/movies enough to warrant these subscriptions anymore.

I feel like people don't even care anymore. Gotta watch the newest hollywood shit so you can post about it on twitter then forget all about it!

I think you're right, a lot of people are just happy to not have to look for things beyond the streaming service home page I guess, and you have to keep up with the Joneses or people might think you're not living in the current year.

Ol'Scratch

I have been buying a ton lately. I'm sick of being a slave to subscription services that do not cater to what I want. I'd rather build a library of things I know I like from the pre-woke eras.
I have about 800 or so bluray movies at the moment, and love having the collection (except for the whole having to deal with it when I moved recently) . I use the digital copies to have streaming options and recent changes like the one made to Toy Story 2 and I foresee many more in the future makes me even more happy that I have originals. I will not even get into the streaming vs physical quality comparison when you have a nice tv,
I can understand why it is not for everyone though.
As for this movie I was not a fan though to be fair other than the recent Spider Man I have not been big on marvel movies for a while now.

Tesseract

Banned
I have about 800 or so bluray movies at the moment, and love having the collection (except for the whole having to deal with it when I moved recently) . I use the digital copies to have streaming options and recent changes like the one made to Toy Story 2 and I foresee many more in the future makes me even more happy that I have originals. I will not even get into the streaming vs physical quality comparison when you have a nice tv,
I can understand why it is not for everyone though.
As for this movie I was not a fan though to be fair other than the recent Spider Man I have not been big on marvel movies for a while now.

can i be your best friend

Elcid

Banned
I used to buy all MCU blu rays, but stopped at Homecoming. Haven't bought any since and likely won't. Will say the last few stores I went into were overflowing with Captain Marvel copies all over the place.

nush

Gold Member

Seems to be in line with Spiderman Homecoming and Doctor Strange as far as home video sales.

MetalAlien

Banned

I own a bunch of discs but I rip all of them onto my computer. My computer is cloned to my TV and a 1080p projector so I can switch back and forth easily. One drive has 1000 something DVD movies and the other has 400ish blu rays. I put the discs in storage I don't even know where I have them all.

Hmmm actually I have never owned a blu ray player. ..

Last edited:

sol_bad

Congratulations on quoting a terrible website that didn't do any research? I mean, it's ok for you guys to hate Brie Larson but ... c'mon.

"Marvel Studios’ Captain Marvel, distributed by Disney, dominated the home video charts the week ended June 15."

"Disney’s superhero blockbuster Captain Marvel was the top film purchased and/or rented on FandangoNow for the week ended June 16."

"Marvel Studios’ Captain Marvel maintained the No. 1 spot on the NPD VideoScan First Alert chart, which tracks combined DVD and Blu-ray Disc unit sales, and the dedicated Blu-ray Disc chart the week ended June 22."

According to NPD, the June 2019 top 10 by units sold were:
  1. Captain Marvel (Disney/Marvel)
  2. Dumbo (2019) (Disney)
  3. A Madea Family Funeral (Lionsgate)
  4. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Universal)
  5. Us (Universal)
  6. Wonder Park (Paramount)
  7. Aquaman (Warner)
  8. The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (Warner)
  9. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Sony Pictures)
  10. Five Feet Apart (Lionsgate)

Year-to-date Top 10 (through June 2019):Aquaman (Warner)
  1. Bohemian Rhapsody (Fox)
  2. Captain Marvel (Disney/Marvel)
  3. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Warner)
  4. Ralph Breaks the Internet (Disney)
  5. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Sony Pictures)
  6. A Star Is Born (2018) (Warner)
  7. The Grinch (Universal)
  8. Mary Poppins Returns (Disney)
  9. Bumblebee (Paramount)
It managed to hit the number 2 spot for the year in less than a month, massive failure.

It's 2nd week in the UK and it's number 2 spot.

Black Panther
RvgWfnu.png

Ragnarok,
JsDi9Yc.png

Avengers: Infinity War
zWACuUl.png

Captain Marvel
sWdNQnu.png

Aquaman

sDmXORF.png

Wonder Woman

JlyuB9s.png

Bumblebee

RH49hFx.png

Fat of the Furious

bkH275H.png

Jurassic World

BsvPVwQ.png

Fallen Kingdom
H0xBhML.png

It's not doing gangbusters like Jurassic World, Ragnarok or Black panther but it's doing better than most other movies.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, sol_bad bringing the numbers!

I got a chance to see it on the airplane the other day and I rather liked it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on quoting a terrible website that didn't do any research? I mean, it's ok for you guys to hate Brie Larson but ... c'mon.

"Marvel Studios’ Captain Marvel, distributed by Disney, dominated the home video charts the week ended June 15."

"Disney’s superhero blockbuster Captain Marvel was the top film purchased and/or rented on FandangoNow for the week ended June 16."

"Marvel Studios’ Captain Marvel maintained the No. 1 spot on the NPD VideoScan First Alert chart, which tracks combined DVD and Blu-ray Disc unit sales, and the dedicated Blu-ray Disc chart the week ended June 22."

According to NPD, the June 2019 top 10 by units sold were:
  1. Captain Marvel (Disney/Marvel)
  2. Dumbo (2019) (Disney)
  3. A Madea Family Funeral (Lionsgate)
  4. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Universal)
  5. Us (Universal)
  6. Wonder Park (Paramount)
  7. Aquaman (Warner)
  8. The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (Warner)
  9. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Sony Pictures)
  10. Five Feet Apart (Lionsgate)

Year-to-date Top 10 (through June 2019):Aquaman (Warner)
  1. Bohemian Rhapsody (Fox)
  2. Captain Marvel (Disney/Marvel)
  3. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Warner)
  4. Ralph Breaks the Internet (Disney)
  5. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Sony Pictures)
  6. A Star Is Born (2018) (Warner)
  7. The Grinch (Universal)
  8. Mary Poppins Returns (Disney)
  9. Bumblebee (Paramount)
It managed to hit the number 2 spot for the year in less than a month, massive failure.

It's 2nd week in the UK and it's number 2 spot.

Black Panther
RvgWfnu.png

Ragnarok,
JsDi9Yc.png

Avengers: Infinity War
zWACuUl.png

Captain Marvel
sWdNQnu.png

Aquaman

sDmXORF.png

Wonder Woman

JlyuB9s.png

Bumblebee

RH49hFx.png

Fat of the Furious

bkH275H.png

Jurassic World

BsvPVwQ.png

Fallen Kingdom
H0xBhML.png

It's not doing gangbusters like Jurassic World, Ragnarok or Black panther but it's doing better than most other movies.
Where can I buy 'Fat of the Furious' on DVD?

Approximately 1 million copies have already been sold, but, after the first week, sales are on a steep downwards trend dropping nearly 80%; this kind of drop is unheard of, especially for a blockbuster smash like Captain Marvel.

This is actually a normal pattern:

Of course DVD and BR sales drop like a rock after week one, most people who want it buy it immediately on release.

Top Bottom