• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions Announced for PS4, Switch, & PC | First Screenshots, Box Art, & More

Mista

Banned

Following the announcement of its new anime game Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions, Bandai Namco followed-up with a press release sharing more details and assets.

We get to see the first screenshots of the game, showing plenty of familiar characters in action. They also shine in the artwork for their 3D models.

On top of that, the gallery also shows the key artwork and the box art for PS4 and Nintendo Switch. As usual, the PC release will be digital-only via Steam.
Captain-Tsubasa-Rise-of-New-Champions-8-scaled.jpg

Captain-Tsubasa-Rise-of-New-Champions-10-scaled.jpg

Captain-Tsubasa-Rise-of-New-Champions-11-scaled.jpg

Captain-Tsubasa-Rise-of-New-Champions-12-scaled.jpg

Captain-Tsubasa-Rise-of-New-Champions-13-scaled.jpg

Captain-Tsubasa-Rise-of-New-Champions-14.jpg

Captain-Tsubasa-Rise-of-New-Champions-16.jpg

Captain-Tsubasa-Rise-of-New-Champions-18.jpg

The press release also includes the first details:
The latest Captain Tsubasa game with toon shading and realistic effects! Part of the globally popular Captain Tsubasa series, this title has anime-like graphics that are familiar even overseas.

The detailed presentation of every single style of our popular characters will heat up battles of the new Captain Tsubasa game!

Super plays clashing in high-speed! “Arcade football action”

This title adopts the arcade football genre that allows gamers to experience super plays in real time, one of the reasons Captain Tsubasa games are so popular.

This is an exhilarating action game that enables players to enjoy scoring goals while performing dream skills against opponents at high speed by mastering the simple controls.

On top of that, we get a comment from Bandai Namco Entertainment Europe senior VP marketing, digital & content Hervé Hoerdt, who certainly appears to be enthusiastic about the license:
Securing the Captain Tsubasa license to bring a football game to the western market is a dream come true.

Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions isn’t created just for the fans of the manga, but will be enjoyed by football fans all over the world!

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Looks good, i don't really like sports games, or watching sports in general, but i do love the captain tsubasa anime and an arcadey football game is always fun.

Captain Tsubasa wasn't a story about soccer. It was a story about martial arts, the value of pursuing your dreams, and never giving up. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

I'm in the same situation. I never cared about soccer or soccer games, but Captain Tsubasa is a legend.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Oh my god that looks so fkn beautiful!!
Day 1 : DD
Captain Tsubasa wasn't a story about soccer. It was a story about martial arts, the value of pursuing your dreams, and never giving up. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

I'm in the same situation. I never cared about soccer or soccer games, but Captain Tsubasa is a legend.
Well played lol

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I... I'm speechless. They're giving this a shot in America.

It's funny, because the values Captain Tsubasa represents are the absolute opposite of what trendy western society tries to promote. Some consider them outdated even in Japan, but the average Californian bleeding heart from 2020 would have a conniption if you sat them to watch a few episodes of the anime.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

It's funny, because the values Captain Tsubasa represents are the absolute opposite of what trendy western society tries to promote. Some consider them outdated even in Japan, but the average Californian bleeding heart from 2020 would have a conniption if you sat them to watch a few episodes of the anime.
The west loves to complain about the violence and fanservice in anime while ignoring that most of them still teaches us good values. Friendship, bond with the family, work hard to be the best we can be not only as people but at what we love, etc....

Quite epic. Why no Xbox though ? :(
Probably anime games dont sell that well on xbox. I've been noticing how there's some anime games not beeing released on the platform.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
They seriously better not f this up for me. I think it was Bandai as well who released the last home console game on the PS2. I enjoyed it a lot, but it was too short compared to the originals on famicom and super famicom.

I hope they made the story mode in this just as long as the originals made by Tecmo.

Mista

Banned
I am asking because, obviously, we are getting great support from Namco Bandai on Xbox. So I am surprised that a soccer game is not selected for Xbox.
Yeah its weird but less cost I guess. One Piece is releasing on Xbox and so many other Bandai games got released

Having this not releasing on Xbox baffles me but again, it might be due to them wanting to cut cost

This looks amazing. How long has it been since we had an arcade football (or soccer) game in the west? I'm getting ISS Deluxe vibes here and I kinda really want to play this. I hope this turns out to be good fun.

Wonko_C

After more than a decade I'm excited about a sports game again. And it's coming west too!

Funny this game takes place when the characters are all grown-up but every time they remake the anime they never move past the middle-school tournament arc. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Quezacolt

Yeah its weird but less cost I guess. One Piece is releasing on Xbox and so many other Bandai games got released

Having this not releasing on Xbox baffles me but again, it might be due to them wanting to cut cost
If i were to guess, it's because the main target for football games is Europe and japan, both places where the xbone doesnt sell that much. With the 360, i knew lots of people here that had one, but with this gen, i still have to meet someone who owns an xbone here.

Fbh

It better take 30 minutes to reach the other side of the field!!!.>

Looks fun, I've always liked these hyper casual sports games with superpowers (like megaman soccer)

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
The west loves to complain about the violence and fanservice in anime while ignoring that most of them still teaches us good values.

Parts of the west hate some of these good values even more than violence.

Imagine saying that kids nowadays should learn sacrifice, determination, and to be strong. It's all about coddling and overprotecting today. Giving it your all to achieve something isn't trendy.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Following the announcement of its new anime game Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions, Bandai Namco followed-up with a press release sharing more details and assets.

We get to see the first screenshots of the game, showing plenty of familiar characters in action. They also shine in the artwork for their 3D models.

On top of that, the gallery also shows the key artwork and the box art for PS4 and Nintendo Switch. As usual, the PC release will be digital-only via Steam.

The press release also includes the first details:

On top of that, we get a comment from Bandai Namco Entertainment Europe senior VP marketing, digital & content Hervé Hoerdt, who certainly appears to be enthusiastic about the license:

I hate football. But I think im gonna get this game lol. This anime is too famous in México like Saint seiya and DBZ.

Im looking for Switch. If there is a lot downgrade, i pick ps4.

Last edited:

cireza

If i were to guess, it's because the main target for football games is Europe and japan, both places where the xbone doesnt sell that much.
Sounds like the most likely reason. Too bad for us European Xbox players. Especially fans from France, where these animes had a strong presence when we were kids :(

Quezacolt

lol, it is up to Japanese publishers to support the console, Microsoft can't do much more about it.
The issue is, outside of the big AAA franchises, i dont think japanese games do so well with the xbox brand, and thats been happening since forever.

DESTROYA

Big sports fan but never really got into sports video games but this looks fun, going to have to watch the anime now.

Ingeniero

Amazing news.
Perfect timing for me also, I have been on a very, VERY addictive playthrough of the Tsubasa mobile game... damn that thing is so addicting, it is consuming my life...

My childhood memories.... I remember crying when Andy colapsed on the field, It was a big shock for me as a kid.

Last edited:

royox

My childhood memories.... I remember crying when Andy colapsed on the field, It was a big shock for me as a kid.

Who the hell was Andy? XD i think every country of the world gave diferent names to the characters lol. In mine the kid with the heart disease was called motherfucking Julian Ross.

Paracelsus

Amazing news.
Perfect timing for me also, I have been on a very, VERY addictive playthrough of the Tsubasa mobile game... damn that thing is so addicting, it is consuming my life...

If you ever get to read the manga (still ongoing) you're in for a ride. The guy's still dropping half-dead (soul out of the body then back in) like it's his hobby.
It's actually bloodier than ever before, Takahashi only knows one writing style: to create fair games, he must cripple or almost kill people.

Last edited:

Ingeniero

Who the hell was Andy? XD i think every country of the world gave diferent names to the characters lol. In mine the kid with the heart disease was called motherfucking Julian Ross.
Yeah we are talking about the same the guy with the heart condition, the same motherfucker who slapped his girlfriend in another shocking moment of the anime.
He is called Andy Johnson in the latin dub.

If you ever get to read the manga (still ongoing) you're in for a ride. The guy's still dropping half-dead (soul out of the body then back in) like it's his hobby.
It's actually bloodier than ever before, Takahashi only knows one writing style: to create fair games, he must cripple or almost kill people.
Interesting.... I didn't know it was still ongoing, I'll check it out.

Top Bottom