• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CAPTIVATE 09 - Trailers/News/New Games on April 29

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Sadist said:
With- or without a sort of MT Framework on Wii, I'm still foolishly hoping for a real Resident Evil that is not a port/on-rail shooter.

I feel stupid :(
So did I, I was hoping for a side story with improved RE4Wii controls and then they announced Darkside Chronicles. I stopped hoping. I feel better now :p

Sadist said:
You're a very depressing person, you know that?
*deathspiral.jpg*

SapientWolf said:
It would make more sense to make a whole new engine. The lack of shader support on the Wii would be a pretty big obstacle for porting their MT Framework. It would also make more sense to design games for the Wii from the ground up, rather than just making watered down ports.
Moot point: they're doing neither :)

CapKraig

Eteric Rice said:
Actually, a Wii Bionic Commando with Spyborgsish graphics would have been neat. I think I would have liked that better than the extreme realistic version of the new one.

Hell, I even would have prefered that the HD version used that kind of style. I mean, this franchise is from around the 80s. You can't even use the word "commando" these days without being looked at funny.

Unless you're in the army of course.

When you guys mention 'Spyborgsish graphics" are you referring to the older stuff or something else that I'm not aware of...

Askia47

After Marvel, they should announce a Megaman legends 3. I heard from the surfer girl thread that Onimusha 5 would be coming to 360/PS3 this year , but idk.

A Strider game would be kool too, even though I never played one, Id like to try it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Askia47 said:
After Marvel, they should announce a Megaman legends 3. I heard from the surfer girl thread that Onimusha 5 would be coming to 360/PS3 this year , but idk.
Onimusha 5 totally needs to happen. I'm one of the four people that loved Dawn of Dreams.

Sadist

Jocchan said:
So did I, I was hoping for a side story with improved RE4Wii controls and then they announced Darkside Chronicles. I stopped hoping. I feel better now :p
*Thinks of Silent Hill Shattered Memories* :)

CapKraig said:
When you guys mention 'Spyborgsish graphics" are you referring to the older stuff or something else that I'm not aware of...
I guess they mean the current Spyborgs look mixed with the Bionic Commando gameplay.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
cw_sasuke said:
where have you seen it ?
Well, there was a leaked video of some colored and uncolor models in a demo reel but um... since Kraig is reading this thread right now...

...check your PMs.

Also the new posters and the CAPTIVATE pictures on Capcom's site.

cw_sasuke said:
where have you seen it ?

There were - IIRC - a pair of photos from CAPTIVATE released on the Capcom blog showing a presentation/playtest that had a couple of screens (cutscene and ingame) of the new look, together with a Spyborgs promo poster.

Nirolak said:
Well, there was a leaked video of some colored and uncolor models in a demo reel but um... since Kraig is reading this thread right now...

...check your PMs.

There's also that photo taken from Captivate showing one or two off screen footage of the game with some posters on the wall.

Edit - Beaten

Sadist

2e6572x.jpg

11vl6km.jpg

welw.gif

wsippel

Banned
SapientWolf said:
It would make more sense to make a whole new engine. The lack of shader support on the Wii would be a pretty big obstacle for porting their MT Framework. It would also make more sense to design games for the Wii from the ground up, rather than just making watered down ports.
First of all, the Wii does support "shaders". If you have a good cross platform engine with a material editor specifically designed for cross platform development, you can reuse most materials on all supported platforms to a certain degree. It mostly depends on the level of abstraction.

Other than that, from a development standpoint, it's mostly about assets and the overall pipeline. Like, for example, what 3D suite you use and which file formats you export to. Actual games are roughly comparable to Flash animations - there's a collection of assets and scripts, and a runtime. There's no need to "port" Framework MT as is to Wii, you'd just need a Wii runtime that understands the same asset formats and scripts. Feature parity might become an issue, depending on the game, though, if certain engine level features absolutely essential to the gameplay can't be done on a particular platform, but it would still be much easier to create special versions of games for that platform with such a pipeline in place, even if a 1:1 port, gameplay wise, is absolutely impossible. I guess that's pretty much what SQEX meant when they announced a partial Wii port of Crystal Tools for example.

Askia47

Nice ace attorney is there, and spyborgs looks interesting. What is that screen on the to left on the second pic tho?

CapKraig

Nirolak said:

...check your PMs.

Yep - I was wondering if it was solely those animator's demo reels or something else..

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
CapKraig said:
Yep - I was wondering if it was solely those animator's demo reels or something else..
Yeah I'm pretty sure nothing else is out there besides the off screen images and the animation demo reel.

Though thankfully the embargo on CAPTIVATE ends soon. I'm getting impatient for the Lost Planet 2 footage that was *supposed* to go up at the end of the Microsoft Japan conference. : (

Not to mention several other games as well.

Askia47 said:
Nice ace attorney is there, and spyborgs looks interesting. What is that screen on the to left on the second pic tho?

Can't quite make out the new title for AA - is it Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth Investigates?

CapKraig

Nirolak said:
Yeah I'm pretty sure nothing else is out there besides the off screen images and the animation demo reel.

Though thankfully the embargo on CAPTIVATE ends soon. I'm getting impatient for the Lost Planet 2 footage that was *supposed* to go up at the end of the Microsoft Japan conference. : (

Not to mention several other games as well.

I think it's two more days. I'm looking forward to it ending as well, to be honest. Love seeing reactions, even from the toughest critics (you guys)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Cosmonaut X said:
Well, it was heavily rumoured and by the looks of the logo in that pic I think it can be taken as confirmed.
Yeah I was thinking they would, but sadly odder things have happened before. Good to see that it is actually making it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
CapKraig said:
I think it's two more days. I'm looking forward to it ending as well, to be honest. Love seeing reactions, even from the toughest critics (you guys)

So there`ll be a Monster Hunter Tri announment for the west ? ;-)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
wsippel said:
First of all, the Wii does support "shaders".
The Wii's GPU does not have hardware programmable pixel shader support. They use texture transforms on the TEV to mimic what pixel shaders can do, and usually with a heavy performance penalty.

wsippel

Banned
SapientWolf said:
The Wii's GPU does not have hardware programmable pixel shader support. They use texture transforms on the TEV to mimic what pixel shaders can do, and usually with a heavy performance penalty.
Depends on the definition I guess. Wii's TEV unit can do much of the same, just in a different way and with varying level of efficiency. You could also say the PS3 and 360 don't support "shaders" in hardware, because the same term is commonly used for Renderman and Mental Ray materials, which work different yet again and don't need any GPU at all. I believe the term was used years before the first GPU was even introduced.

The new Onimusha game should come out for Wii.

The sword swinging combat in that game is more deliberate, easier, and slower than let's say something like DMC which would cause people's arms to come off if they tried to play DMC[3] on the Wii. That, or you'd lose 800 calories per play session.

Onimusha could work though.

That, and sales wise Onimusha has died out. And I don't really think your common HD 360 user gives two shits about that series anymore. The only audience for Onimusha is Japan, and they have been backing Onimusha well (even Dawn of Dreams did well there). And of course, the Wii is the most successful console in Japan, so...it sould work out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Guled said:
MEGATON

So I guess the 2 new games are MvC2 and AA:MEI, nice
There's also whatever Monumental is working on. That was supposed to come out this Fall so if it's still on track for that I'd have to assume we'll see it here.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Guled said:
MEGATON

So I guess the 2 new games are MvC2 and AA:MEI, nice

Capcom hates the Wii *bwabwabwa*

:D

@C-Warrior
Yeah it could work, but Capcom won`t do it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Sadist said:
*Thinks of Silent Hill Shattered Memories* :)
Silent Hill is safe, the PSP and PS2 versions mean it won't be butchered (pretty sad, I know). Being a huge Silent Hill nut, it's good for me :p

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Also, it's AAI:ME (Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth) and not AA:MEI (AA: Miles Edgeworth Investigates).

Askia47

Guled said:
well it was never announced for NA and this is an NA event
its a NA event? maybe. its being held in europe, could be more international. if its AA then thats fine but it is not anything really new which kinda sucks.

Guled

Askia47 said:
its a NA event? maybe. its being held in europe, could be more international. if its AA then thats fine but it is not anything really new which kinda sucks.
my bad, but MvC2 is not really new either, but I bet they are still counting that. I also hope that they have another game up their sleeves but I doubt it.

Askia47

Guled said:
my bad, but MvC2 is not really new either, but I bet they are still counting that. I also hope that they have another game up their sleeves but I doubt it.

true true, i guess we will have to wait to find out.

Omikaru

Jocchan said:
Also, it's AAI:ME (Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth) and not AA:MEI (AA: Miles Edgeworth Investigates).
Or it could be Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations... :D :lol Either way, Capcom wins my money.

NeoZylom

We'll also be talking about and playing with Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (coming this summer, finally!), Resident Evil for the Wii and Bionic Commando, as well as announcing NEW GAMES!

Where are the NEW GAMES :O, I saw a bunch of new trailer for Dark Void, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Spyborgs, RE:DC, ... BUT NO NEW GAMES :O Did I miss something?

Dascu

NeoZylom said:
Where are the NEW GAMES :O, I saw a bunch of new trailer for Dark Void, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Spyborgs, RE:DC, ... BUT NO NEW GAMES :O Did I miss something?
Marvel vs Capcom 2 I guess. Somewhat disappointed as well. I really expected some more new announcements.

Top Bottom