• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capturing PS3 Footage and Sony's HDCP Mistake

In the process of testing out a PS3 Slim that I picked up, I attached it to my Elgato HD60S+ to find out that the PS3 is utterly incapable as a capture machine due to the High Definition Content Protection they put on the HDMI output. Thankfully this error has been corrected with the current generation being able to turn on and off HDCP depending on the content.

Unfortunately, I am in the process of archiving PS3 games and I had the opportunity to try using an HDMI splitter to get a clean signal out of the system, which was not successful. Are there any tips or advice for capturing PS3 gameplay?

KOMANI

KOMANI
I was fortunate to get my hands on a ps3 test consoles which don’t have this issue. You can’t play blurays snd dvds, but it’s worth it.

Kagey K

Banned
They have been doing it since the 80’s just because they played nice for 6 or 7 years doesn‘t mean they won’t revert back.

I can only go on their history until they really prove otherwise.

Max_Po

Banned
Well they’ve pretty much gone in a different direction. People sure have a short memory about them though lol

yes, considering SONY produces, manages, and manufactures all the worlds movies ever made. And also that has nothing to do with the dawn of digital Streaming services like Netflix wanting any protection... DAM EVIL SONY !!!

Naibel

Yeah, as a streamer and let's player, that issue was so grating. That was also the case with the PSVita TV, believe it or not.

I managed to get by, by using this HDMI splitter.

Be aware that not all splitter models work on the PS3. The cheaper ones with no AC adaptor are not powerful enough to bypass the DRM. Go for those with a power cable.

Enjay

Banned
As opposed to the "subtle", wishful thinking centered, and baseless Fear, Uncertainty, and Despair in this reply of yours hehe ;)?
inigo_montoya.jpeg

stranno

Splitter is the way to go, they are cheap and can strip the HDCP from any device easily.

There's an HDCP flag in the settings file (xRegistry.sys) but, afaik, it does nothing, so it must be hardcoded.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Hinting that a bad practice is not a past one, but still currently happening casting unnecessary fears and doubts (yeah I messed up doubt with despair and fixing it now)? Yeah, it sounds it meant what I thought it would mean, nice try unbiased one ;).

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
yes, considering SONY produces, manages, and manufactures all the worlds movies ever made. And also that has nothing to do with the dawn of digital Streaming services like Netflix wanting any protection... DAM EVIL SONY !!!

Wut?

I was remarking on how Sony has stopped being so DRM focused; you know they were the creators of some of the world's worst DRM for literally decades... from the infamous Music CD rootkit, to SecureROM, to the Blu-Ray DRM that was supposed to require people have their blu-ray players online (in an era where physical media players rarely connected to the internet) to the fact they were the only console manufacturer participating in Online Passes and other "profit off of used games" initiatives (which they still had in place when they made their infamous "this is how you share Playstation games" videos, they left out the part where you would have to pay $10 to play your buddies game online.)

Have no clue WTF your comment is even commenting on lol

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Hinting that a bad practice is not a past one, but still currently happening casting unnecessary fears and doubts (yeah I messed up doubt with despair and fixing it now)? Yeah, it sounds it meant what I thought it would mean, nice try unbiased one ;).

People should doubt megacorps with decades of bad practices; not like everyone forgets Microsoft's bad deeds, rightfully so.

They can do that while recognizing their positive changes; both the bad practices and good practices being in the minds of consumers helps keep these companies in check who truly don't give a fuck about us, unless they think giving a fuck about us makes them money... Sony's attitude towards cross-platform this gen for instance could be seen as evidence that once they were dominating again their pro-consumer stances started waning. There is literally no reason not to criticize these companies, people who get upset when you criticize a company are pathetic and need a reality check.

theclaw135

Banned
IIRC this was made worse by not having any kind of error code to tell you there even was a problem. Why didn't the console beep, or heck anything?
PS3 was unusable on older DVI monitors.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
People should doubt megacorps with decades of bad practices; not like everyone forgets Microsoft's bad deeds, rightfully so.

They can do that while recognizing their positive changes; both the bad practices and good practices being in the minds of consumers helps keep these companies in check who truly don't give a fuck about us, unless they think giving a fuck about us makes them money... Sony's attitude towards cross-platform this gen for instance could be seen as evidence that once they were dominating again their pro-consumer stances started waning. There is literally no reason not to criticize these companies, people who get upset when you criticize a company are pathetic and need a reality check.

I can understand that, being on the watchout. Crossplay is a thorny issue because it was in partial bad faith that MS pushed it front and center as it helped their business which was way behind as they were championship this practice on the Xbox 360 few years before. I see cross-save being much much more important and crossplay is more like a nice to have and not too dissimilar from buying up (timed) exclusives.

Enjay

Banned

If someone could translate this for me I'd appreciate it. My point was if it's been happening for generations and this was the one time the exception was made then it isn't a baseless concern.

IntentionalPun

I can understand that, being on the watchout. Crossplay is a thorny issue because it was in partial bad faith that MS

And as a consumer, why would you care?

It doesn't matter what the motivation is; pro-consumer moves are pro-consumer. Those kind of moves should be praised; nothing terribly wrong with pointing out that they likely aren't doing it for altruistic reasons but the end result is what really matters to consumers.

crossplay is more like a nice to have and not too dissimilar from buying up (timed)

What? That makes zero sense... explain your logic here. Crossplay is a pro-consumer move that helps every gamer (and developer), timed exclusivity is not pro-consumer and doesn't really help anyone other than console warrior arguments.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
Basically, you need a splitter that will strip HDCP from the signal. I have used the ViewHD one from a previous post on my PS3 without any issues. Just buy that and you should be fine.

Mochilador

I just use a splitter and it works fine. You may need some good hdmi cables too, because not every cable worked for me.

R6Rider

Gold Member
At least the PS3 had multi-output for audio. PS4 lacks that option for some completely stupid reason.

Koopatrol

I've been recording PS3 through HDMI since like 2012 I think, so I have some experience working with this type of stuff.

Nowadays, most people use an HDMI splitter. However, just make sure the splitter you are purchasing will actually strip the HDCP, and make sure it's not a super cheap build. I bought a splitter online that some people were recommending, but it only worked for a few months before it just stopped. It's easy to find cheaply built splitters that strip HDCP, because that is not an intended effect of most splitters.

The method that's been working for me since 2012 is using a DVI + Optical Digital to HDMI converter. There's some pros and cons to this method. One pro is that these aren't built super cheaply, so you will more than likely be buying a quality product that will work. Mine has been working since 2012 without any issues. That's because these strip HDCP a little differently; DVI is the same quality as HDMI, but it just drops the HDCP since it's not compatible with it. One con though is that you probably will be paying a bit more, and for a bit more equipment. DVI is basically HDMI video without the audio, so you will need to make sure to have a HDMI to DVI cable and an optical digital cable, as these will be combined into one HDMI output in the converter box. Another con is that if you try to record something without an optical digital port, like the PS TV, you will not be able to record the audio.

Hopefully that is somewhat informative. I'd probably recommend the splitter method, because you will be able to record the PS TV if you want to. If that isn't a concern to you, you can buy whichever option. I think the splitter would be better and it's the more popular method, so obviously it works for many people. Just make sure to get a decent quality splitter that will split the connection, since I did not and mine broke.

Top Bottom