• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cargo! - The Quest for Gravity |OT| Create your own fun....to save the world!!!

clip

Hey dudez. Talk about Cargo! (From the developer's of Pathologic & The Void...) in here.

cargo_big.png

Official Site

Developer: Ice-pick Lodge

Platforms: Windows

US Cover:
1766400-627282_205722_front.jpg

PC minimum system Requirements:
o OS: Windows XP/Vista/7
o Processor: Intel/AMD CPU (2GHz+)
o Memory: N/A
o Hard Drive: N/A
o Graphics: 512 MB RAM GeForce FX 5600 / ATI Radeon® 9600 128Mb

PC recommended system Requirements:
o OS: Windows XP/Vista/7
o Processor: Intel/AMD CPU (3.6GHz+)
o Memory: N/A
o Hard Drive: N/A
o Graphics: 1 GB RAM nVIDIA® GeForce™ 7900 / ATI Radeon® X1950 256Mb

Where to Buy:

Steam
GamersGate

Premise:

When things didn't quite work out last time after The Flood, with this end of the world, the Gods have stopped the Earth, removed gravity and, to replace man, have created the "Buddies", who are independent of gravity.

But Flawkes, one of the last survivors, discovers the Buddies' secret: fun! This is why they don't need gravity. He then creates the curious element, F.U.N., and this generates gravity. So Flawkes sets out to provide the Buddies with as much fun as possible. As F.U.N. will still be turning when the world comes to an end, the seasons and gravity return, and the Gods realize that humanity is a force you just can't reckon with.

Flawkes is controled by the player in the 3rd person and provides the Buddies with lots of opportunities to have fun: they love a hefty kick up the behind, any kind of danger, music, car racing and breakneck trips in all sorts of vehicles.

Reviews

RPS Wot I Think
Giant Bomb QL

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
To quote myself and bump this thread:

Primate Ryan said:
Take Banjo-Kazooie, remove some of the polish from that game and mix in a lot of absurdity. That's how you get Cargo. You build vehicles/machines from parts that you find in crates or buy from God with your accumulated fun and use them to solve problems.

I've played it for a little bit, but as was already clear from the screenshots and movies this game is quite different from their earlier projects. Based on what I've seen it doesn't hold a candle to The Void, which I absolutely love, but it might grow on me. I just got the parts to build cars, planes and submarines after having sailed around on several boats during the first part of the game.

jogarrr

That actually sounds pretty nice. I may have to check this out next time I have $20 to burn.

Any more impressions would be appreciated.

The game looks amazing - and I've never heard of it before - but the "like Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts if you removed every other line of code" part of that article kind of scares me.

You know what, though? I'll probably buy it just from the video on Steam. Lack of polish or not, it looks pretty inventive (no pun intended) and I'd like to reward this ingenuity.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Brobzoid said:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/22/a-naked-truth-cargo-released-impressions/

First hour impressions from Mr Smith of RPS.

Currently I don't have windows installed so I can't play it, but it's of extremely high priority as I've been waiting for this game for some time now.
Except it turns out iceberg is populated by furious, 14-feet tall penguins! I watch in horror as a penguin devours one of my tiny, smiling fun factories through its anus. Something must be done!
:/

I think this game out weirded Noby Noby Boy. I never thought I would live to see that happen.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
SapientWolf said:

I think this game out weirded Noby Noby Boy. I never thought I would live to see that happen.

Well, the penguin part actually isn't that weird compared to the rest. The writing in the article might be a bit misleading here, as the giant penguins just squash the guys with their asses. That's it (or, alternatively, I didn't properly process what was happening on my screen and the quote should actually be taken literally).

ah, no wonder I didn't hear about this being out already. it's only on steam so far. who thought that was a good idea? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

SapientWolf said:

did you play their two previous games? nobynobyboy is nothing.

Weenerz

Banned
Is there a demo for this? I'm at home and can't check. If the demo is decent, I'll give it a shot.

Also, I meant to say I'm at work and I can't check.

Weenerz

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
it's 20 euros you cheap bastard (and 20 dollars maybe? 30 dollars?)

Wow, if it's so cheap do you want to buy it for me? The gameplay video on Steam didn't impress me as much as a demo would. Also, go fuck yourself.

Purchased this yesterday after watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look. I really enjoy just tooling around the environment finding new parts and blueprints. Some of the physics are wonky, but if you don't do anything too weird you'll be fine.

Example:
I had a boat that had two water propellers in back and two paddle wheels on each side. I attempted to put land wheels in front for easier docking and the game decided that my vehicle should fly at that point. It was goofy, but also completely easy to reverse.

The stuff outside of the vehicle based stuff is less good, and the first flying vehicle I've tried didn't function all that nicely. There are a lot of premade vehicle blueprints in the world to find, and you can pretty much build whatever you want, so I'm sure that's something I could fix with some effort.

One tip I have is always take apart your vehicles when not in use, or at the very least, save often. There are hard transitions (example:
like buying the "radish"
) that will take you to a new location and unspawn your old inventions, making you lose the parts. Since things like engines are always useful, you'll be set back quite a bit.

Moobabe

Got it, finished it, loved it. Yes it's a bit janky but it's something completely unique and well worth playing. I'm not sure how people view posting your own reviews from sites etc but here's mine nonetheless ; I'll remove it if needs be.

Nishastra

Banned
Whoa, didn't realize there was a thread for this :p

I guess I'll post the things I've built that I'm most happy with.

5PKmF.png

The Speedboat. Quite straightforward. It goes very, very fast in water, to the point where it really needs all the sponsons so that it doesn't start flipping out as soon as you've got buddies on it.

It's very hard to control except for going forwards and backwards, but it's not impossible to make good turns :p

Gtf19.png

And here is an evolution of the Speedboat, which I call the Jumper. It's as fast as the Speedboat, but is several times more awkward. It won't stay upright for long if you stay in the water, and it's not easy to make it actually "fly".

If you turn the upward propellers on while moving, the nose will point generally upward, and you'll rise up as you rocket forward. If you turn them off, the nose will point downward and you'll descend. Thus, you "jump" by alternating between the two states.

If you're really careful, you can get the up propellers going just fast enough to level everything out, and then you can fly indefinitely. It's not the most efficient vehicle, but it's a lot more fun than your usual helicopter deal :p

Moobabe

Love seeing people's creations in this - some of mine were absolutely shocking. Simply a case of meeting the requirements to move in the required direction; my submarine only had one propeller...

Nishastra

Banned
Here's a dumb one. I made this monstrosity specifically to get the 50 buddy chain and 250 part achievements :p

orOP8.png

It barely moves at the best of times.

Nishastra

Banned
The game itself feels short, and if you make something absurdly fast like my speedboat, the world is suddenly too small to really fool around, as you'll reach the edge of where they let you go in seconds. Granted, something that fast requires huge amounts of fun to build, so it's not like you can do it early on.

It's a lot of fun making bizarre vehicles, and the game's plot is certainly interesting. It's sort of like a tutorial, actually, slowly forcing you to make different kinds of vehicles in order to proceed.

I would absolutely love it if they'd add more environments. As it stands, there's one area with four seasons, which dictate whether it's mostly/entirely ice or entirely water and how much junk is littering the world. The amount and type of useful landscape never really changes.

It needs some kind of serious landmass where you can do ridiculous things with wheeled vehicles. Winter is totally flat and all the interesting bits during Spring are going to end up with you falling in the water at some point.

I've played it for 15 hours so far. Most of that was getting through the story, but I also spent a few hours just screwing around in Summer or in Sandbox Mode.

Top Bottom