• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carrie to become a TV show and be played by a Trans or Black actress

bitbydeath

2Ysf.gif

Though it’s still very early in the development process and there’s no script yet, sources say that this time around, telekinetic teen Carrie White will likely be played by either a trans performer or an actress of color rather than a cis white woman

I dig it being a TV show. Didn’t need another remake or whatever. It’s a story that could be expanded greatly in TV format, especially if she eventually finds other people with powers.

As far as changing character traits, I mean we got the King adaptation twice, is there harm in trying something new a third time around?

A character with Carrie’s struggles amplified from the perspective of a minority? I’m interested.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
As far as the Wally West comparison, there's two of them... And they're related.

Not sure if the events of Doomsday Clock erases black Wally... Ahem.. I mean Wallace.

On topic... I hope it's a black girl. Was the race of Carrie important to the story?

DrClarke

Banned
Seems like a tone deaf creative choice by people who probably mean well. Being trans is not the same as being a racial minority, and neither of the two should be framed as a shortcoming that welcomes bigotry which results in the victim committing a massacre in response.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I'm taking a wild guess: all the people being mean to Carrie will be whiter than snow.

About Carrie herself, if the series is set in modern-day America then she can be any race/color they want. The original novel is from the 70s and the main characters can all easily be inferred to be white IIRC.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Maybe instead of all the blood they can use dilation pus

:lollipop_confused:

Aw Matt...what have you been reading? Dilettante surgeon horror stories? They are out there, and certainly not for the faint of heart.

Thankfully that isn't always the case, but yeah...any trans person thinking about surgery should certainly know the horrors that could possibly await them.

Cravis

Could be good, could be bad. More than likely bad since the whole “look she is going to be either a POC or trans,” is the first thing they point out. Outside of that it’ll be a copy paste of the original and forgotten about in 30 days.

Wait isn't Carrie a mental psychic? How would that work with a trans actor if your mind is in constant confusion? Does everyone just explode?

I mean that keeps the rated M rating.

So when's the Rush Hour movie where a white guy plays Chris Tucker and a Mexican plays Jackie Chan coming out?

Malakhov

Banned
Great, they'll be able to have a bunch of straight guys bully a trans or a bunch of white people bully a black girl.

That's so good, let's keep that shit coming... 😒

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Of course you do

And so what?
Great, they'll be able to have a bunch of straight guys bully a trans or a bunch of white people bully a black girl.

That's so good, let's keep that shit coming... 😒

Or... They could also have other black folks bully the black girl. It happens. Especially if she's either light or dark skinned.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
And so what?

Or... They could also have other black folks bully the black girl. It happens. Especially if she's either light or dark skinned.
No because then people will be outraged that they're portraying black people as bullies and protecting whites. That's how it works nowadays

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Give it a chance, y’all.

We’ve seen straight up novel adaptions of Carrie twice. It’s limited in scope, there’s not much more they can do with the established material.

They wanna try something new, I’m all for it.
You've said it yourself, there's not much more they can do with it now so let's just leave that alone as it is and try something entirely new with whatever they want as characters.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dude... There are actually black redheads. They aren't all mixed either. Redd Foxx was a redhead... So was Malcolm X... I can show you plenty of black redheads.

Interesting. So that’s how Redd Foxx got his stage name.

You do realize POC can mean a non-black person, right? All it technically means is non-white.

It's a stupid label but at least try using it a bit more smartly than the people who buy into it do.

...also it's interesting that everyone seems more upset that it might be a POC actress and not a trans actress. That says a lot. Almost as if it matters more if the skin color's a certain way versus if the person playing the female character that's traditionally been portrayed as a biological woman...is themselves a biological woman.

🤔 . Oh well; I'm over these remakes and reboots anyway. Only one I'm even slightly curious in is Snowpiercer. Don't need Carrie milked to death yet again, same with Ghostbusters ((n) to that), etc. Hollywood can wake me up when they decide to try do new original IP again.

EDIT: Also before some dumbass tries responding. Yes I'm aware of the trend with redhead and Hollywood. It's eerie AF, there's definitely something behind it. But blame that on the (white) producers, financeers and/or (Chinese) financeers who are funding a lot of these films. It's ultimately their decision with that stuff :S

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You do realize POC can mean a non-black person, right? All it technically means is non-white.

It's a stupid label but at least try using it a bit more smartly than the people who buy into it do.

...also it's interesting that everyone seems more upset that it might be a POC actress and not a trans actress. That says a lot. Almost as if it matters more if the skin color's a certain way versus if the person playing the female character that's traditionally been portrayed as a biological woman...is themselves a biological woman.

🤔 . Oh well; I'm over these remakes and reboots anyway. Only one I'm even slightly curious in is Snowpiercer. Don't need Carrie milked to death yet again, same with Ghostbusters ((n) to that), etc. Hollywood can wake me up when they decide to try do new original IP again.

EDIT: Also before some dumbass tries responding. Yes I'm aware of the trend with redhead and Hollywood. It's eerie AF, there's definitely something behind it. But blame that on the (white) producers, financeers and/or (Chinese) financeers who are funding a lot of these films. It's ultimately their decision with that stuff :S

Yep! There's Asian redheads, non-white/black Latino redheads, etc.

I'd rather have a new Firestarter, TBH. And mine that whole world ... Old girl can't be the only metahuman.

Top Bottom