• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Cartoons that were good yet canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darko

Aug 28, 2005
SonicMegaDrive said:
For the reason Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid, Animaniacs, Earthworm Jim, and Road Rovers were all canceled, you can look to this man:

Jamie Kellner.

He also believed recording programs off television was stealing.

Motherfucker.

goldenticket

Jan 23, 2007
goldenticket.tumblr.com
Talladega Knight said:
The lack of Clerks: TAS in this thread is disturbing.

Unless it's some sort of trick, which in that case...well played NeoGAF.

i got this on dvd. out of the 6 (i think) episodes maybe 1 or 2 i liked and even then it wasnt omg awesome. i think if they had more time (meaning more episodes) to figure it out it would have improved.

goldenticket

Jan 23, 2007
goldenticket.tumblr.com
SonicMegaDrive said:
For the reason Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid, Animaniacs, Earthworm Jim, and Road Rovers were all canceled, you can look to this man:

Jamie Kellner.

i never knew that but i remember liking the saturday WB lineup during that freakazoid/earthworm jim/animaniacs run. what a loser

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
Apr 30, 2006
Portland, ME
Invader Zim and Gargoyles

What really sucks about Gargoyles is that Disney has burned the fans 3 times! First they cancel it, then bring it back, but with bad writing and animation, and finally they cancel the DVD releases!

I'm very bitter about the whole Gargoyles dvd issue. It just seems cruel to not release volume 3. At least Invader Zim had all its episodes released, with awesome commentaries on most episodes.

Jul 7, 2004
Well, in his defense, he did try to revamp Pinky & The Brain before canceling it when he told the producers they had to add new, marketable characters, leading to the incredible, unforgettable classic: Pinky, Elmyra & The Brain.

The man's a genius, I tells ya. A genius.

goldenticket

Jan 23, 2007
goldenticket.tumblr.com
SonicMegaDrive said:
Well, in his defense, he did try to revamp Pinky & The Brain before canceling it when he told the producers they had to add new, marketable characters, leading to the incredible, unforgettable classic: Pinky, Elmyra & The Brain.

...whenever Poochie's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Poochie"?

Darko

Aug 28, 2005
SonicMegaDrive said:

wat? glad I never saw those episodes.

Jul 7, 2004
goldenticket said:
...whenever Poochie's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Poochie"?
:lol

It would not surprise me if that episode was partly influenced by that madness, considering they both happened around the same time.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nov 22, 2007
^ Pinky, Elmyra & The Brain sounds retarded at first but it was actually very funny.

I don't know if it was cancelled or whatever but I'm still annoyed that they never produced the last episode of Dungeons & Dragons.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Dec 10, 2006
Austin, Texas
Talladega Knight said:
The lack of Clerks: TAS in this thread is disturbing.

Unless it's some sort of trick, which in that case...well played NeoGAF.

The 2nd episode of the series is the all time funniest cartoon episode. Doing a flashback episode for your 2nd episode is the greatest idea ever.

Jul 7, 2004
Fuu said:
^ Pinky, Elmyra & The Brain sounds retarded at first but it was actually very funny.

I don't know if it was cancelled or whatever but I'm still annoyed that they never produces the last episode of Dungeons & Dragons.

I like to think the kids were stranded there.

Forever.

Talamius

May 24, 2007
HeartAttackJones said:

Yeah, WTF happened to Korgoth? The pilot was amazing, and better than the live action crap Adult Swim puts out now.

Also, Samurai Jack was amazing. The haunted house episode was full of win.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nov 22, 2007

Arthrus

Dec 5, 2008
Megas XLR! However, at some point the episodes went downhill really fast and it stopped being good =(

Therefore, not sure if want.

Zoe

Jan 3, 2007
Austin
djtiesto said:
There was a DQ animated series, that actually aired here? Whoa... How could I have missed that...?

Yep, it even predated the Sailor Moon dub by a few years, IIRC.

Skiptastic

Jan 17, 2007
I remember thinking Clone High looked retarded when I saw the ads for it...then I watched all of the episodes via the only means at the time (downloading through a certain website where I get my MST3K eps).

My god, what have I done? That show was amazing!

Borgnine said:
The Pirates of Dark Water
Why did it take two posts before someone mentioned this?

Pretty much most of FOX in the early-mid 90's (Eek the Cat, Dark Water a.k.a The Pirates of Dark Water, X-Men). Throw in Rocko's Modern Life, Megas XLR (OMG the anime nuts like it!), Samurai Jack (see last parenthesis), Justice League and its sequel Unlimited, Batman: Beyond, Mission Hill...

also Invasion: America was a miniseries that ended. Technically it wasn't canceled unless it came back in another incarnation I don't know of.

LRB1983

Banned
Jun 30, 2007
Barcelona, Spain
djtiesto said:
There was a DQ animated series, that actually aired here? Whoa... How could I have missed that...?
There're 2 Dragon Quest animated series XD
Dai No Daiboken. (46 episodes 3 OVA's)
Dragon Quest (32 episodes) based on DQIII

I think there're some other movies but I'm not sure.

Oct 19, 2007
Aw snap
At this point everything that needs to be said probably has been said, but I'll throw one more on the pile

Dilbert

The best thing UPN ever did (well this and 7 Days)

Calcaneus

Jun 25, 2007
Borgnine said:
The Pirates of Dark Water
Definitely, I remembered really liking this show when I was little, I didn't find out what the name was until like a year or two ago.

Let me in

Jun 10, 2004
Here's another vote for Rocko's Modern Life. Had a good 4 year run, but might have fared better with an older audience and more creative freedom. Watch it again as an adult and you get all the references you might have missed earlier.

rpmurphy

Dec 6, 2008
HamPster PamPster said:
At this point everything that needs to be said probably has been said, but I'll throw one more on the pile

Dilbert

The best thing UPN ever did (well this and 7 Days)

Wasn't the Dilbert cartoon more or less just the comics but animated? I remember watching one or two episodes and some parts I know were word-for-word from the strips.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Sep 11, 2005
los angeles
VAIL said:

im not sure what it is about this show, but i was really cautious going into it, and ended up thoroughly liking it. there arent many shows like it on tv today, which is depressing.

also, fillmore

a detective show thats a parody of those 70's cop shows, and it was a good one. it a shame it got executed(much like the weekenders) for being the icarus to the sun that was kim possible, but it at least had 2 seasons, so i cant be too bitter

rpmurphy said:
Wasn't the Dilbert cartoon more or less just the comics but animated? I remember watching one or two episodes and some parts I know were word-for-word from the strips.

it might have done a joke used in the strip, but that was it. it was far different from the strips i'd read. way over the top with a lot of the episodes

Koomaster

Oct 12, 2005
Va.
Speaking of Sailor Moon, sad that many people in the US will probably never see the final season Sailor Stars, which imo was the cartoon at it's best - the finale was just amazing. But I guess the whole hermaphrodites being main characters put a hamper on anyone wanting to dub the episodes. I mean, if they made Sailor Uranus and Neptune cousins, who knows what would have happened to the Starlights.

And on this note, no more Sailor Moon. :(

Although, once you
Save the Universe
there is no where else you can take the series. Although I would have loved to see some episodes from Neo Tokyo, and more of Chibiusa's future.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jul 4, 2004
SonicMegaDrive said:
Behold! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy_-KBvO8Ek

A raping of your childhood!

I also want to add that every time I hear Cree Summer sing, I lose 3 hairs.
Brain- "I deeply resent this." :lol

djtiesto said:
Eek! The Cat

Such a great show. I feel bad for this generation because most of the tripe that passes for kids' entertainment is embarrassing and demeaning for everyone involved, including the kids.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Sep 11, 2005
los angeles
Koomaster said:
Speaking of Sailor Moon, sad that many people in the US will probably never see the final season Sailor Stars, which imo was the cartoon at it's best - the finale was just amazing. But I guess the whole hermaphrodites being main characters put a hamper on anyone wanting to dub the episodes. I mean, if they made Sailor Uranus and Neptune cousins, who knows what would have happened to the Starlights.

And on this note, no more Sailor Moon. :(

Although, once you
Save the Universe
there is no where else you can take the series. Although I would have loved to see some episodes from Neo Tokyo, and more of Chibiusa's future.

wait, what? i remember them having a male form and female form, i didnt know they were both at once.

Zoe

Jan 3, 2007
Austin
Parallax said:
wait, what? i remember them having a male form and female form, i didnt know they were both at once.

It's not like they ever gave specifics or spelled it out. You could go either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.