• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cartoons that were good yet canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotWii

Banned
BigAT said:
2qicy9g.jpg

Undeux said:
The Critic. Loved that show.

Plinko said:
The Critic

This
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1PJTY9AVA

Lord Error said:
Clone High. Really good and funny show that didn't last beyond first season.

Thanks. I'm in the UK and we probably won't see even half the stuff from the US that was reputedly awesome, but short lived. I've heard the title before, but that's about it.

Darko

What was that college show? with that guy that was always like "heyy guuuy"... cant remeber the name :lol

EDIT: UNDERGRADS (thank you google)

Ganhyun

Came in here to say Pirates of Dark Water, but its already been said. Also hated that Swat Kats got canceled too.

Ducktales was awesome as well.

TreIII

Ookami-kun said:
I was pretty sure MM ended the story, not canceled.

The way they depicted it, it just ended with the whole thing looping around any way. :lol

Any way, I'm nominating/seconding...

Swat Kats: I can pretty much guarantee that, if such a cartoon were released later on, instead of when it was actually released, it would have probably done much better. Silly 90s censorship...

Gargoyles: Yeah, it had that "Goliath Chronicles" after Season 2, but THAT SUCKED, and didn't have Weisman's hand in it beyond the first two eps. Then, after a decade, we finally got a new comic that serves as a real continuation...only for its own fate to be in the balance. Hopefully, the new graphic novels that are set for later this year sell well enough for it to be possibly the new direction for the series. That bi-monthly schedule never worked as well as I thought it should...

Gary the Rat: Another tragic victim of what happened when Spike basically decided to kill all of their animation block.

With all the shit on MTV, I dont know how they could cancel those shows. It doesnt seem like they cancel anything.

I missed Gargoyles the most based on the fact of how many Star Trek cast members did voices.

Titania - Kate Mulgrew
Puck - Brent Spiner
David Xanatos - Jonathan Frakes
Demona - Marina Sirtis

Tkawsome said:
It lasted 13. It's a shame it didn't get a chance. The writers plan for the show sounded pretty great, where Andy gets a new job every couple of episodes and slowly works his way up to being a successful cartoonist. I don't know too many cartoons that had continuity between episodes.
Here's the thing that made Mission Hill so good: It was produced by two of the guys behind some of The Simpsons best seasons. You can actually see bits and pieces of similarity between them if you pay close enough attention.

Monkeylord said:
Thanks. I'm in the UK and we probably won't see even half the stuff from the US that was reputedly awesome, but short lived. I've heard the title before, but that's about it.
Track down Clone High if you get a chance. It completely bombed in the US, but did fairly well in Canada (where it was made), so it only got a DVD release here.

The exact same thing happened with Undergrads. (Also made here.) MTV canceled it in the US, but Teletoon had a hit on their hands and were all eager to make a second season. But, without MTV's money, Teletoon couldn't afford to make a second season...

bengraven

Why the fuck hasn't Invader Zim been mentioned?

The only canceled cartoon series to single handedly save a clothing chain (Hot Topic) and they still sell the shit now.

No, I have not verified that, but it's FACT

Also, big love for Downtown being mentioned.

I'll just say Futurama again.

But looking at how long the Simpsons has lasted maybe it's good that we only got 4 seasons of 100% quality. I've only seen the first movie and I liked it.

Belfast

Lord Error said:
Clone High. Really good and funny show that didn't last beyond first season.

Yeah. The same studio is now doing Total Drama Island on CN, which unfortunately, just can't have the same kind of humor as Clone High did. :|

lunarworks said:
Here's the thing that made Mission Hill so good: It was produced by two of the guys behind some of The Simpsons best seasons. You can actually see bits and pieces of similarity between them if you pay close enough attention.

Of course. Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein ran the best seasons of the Simpsons and have the amazing talent of being able to put heart into a comedy show. Mission Hill was too good for us. I just wish they would make a new show already, I heard one of them had to bail on the new Mike Huriwitiz show.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Didn't Clone High get a full season in Canada that never aired in the US? Well, I remember getting a shady bootleg from a co-worker of a bunch of episodes that never aired.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Vinci said:
Gargoyles
Well it was revived as the Goliath Chronicles which was absolutely horrible.

If I had to pick one cartoon to be revived it has to be Dark Water. How does it end, damn it!

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Swat Kats was probably the biggest tragedy. It kicked so much ass AND had the ratings to support itself for at least a few more seasons, but basically had to end because of the opinion of a single douchebag.

DanteFox said:

For the reason Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid, Animaniacs, Earthworm Jim, and Road Rovers were all canceled, you can look to this man:

cap_jkellner.jpg

Jamie Kellner.

He also believed recording programs off television was stealing.

"Because of the ad skips.... It's theft. Your contract with the network when you get the show is you're going to watch the spots. Otherwise you couldn't get the show on an ad-supported basis. Any time you skip a commercial or watch the button you're actually stealing the programming."

What a douche.

Median

AlternativeUlster said:
Didn't Clone High get a full season in Canada that never aired in the US? Well, I remember getting a shady bootleg from a co-worker of a bunch of episodes that never aired.

I know we got a full season, but nothing after the first. Such a damned shame, too.

DanteFox

Samurai Jack was amazing as well. I don't even remember whether or not he ever accomplished his mission. The whole show was based around him trying to go back to the past to defeat the evil dragon guy, but in every episode, a new means of accomplishing that task eludes him. Where was the storyline when the show was cancelled? Why was it cancelled?

Just started flicking through the channels, and came across the first episode of Teen Titans on Cartoon Network Too (UK). What a coincidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom