• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cartoons that were good yet canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darko

SonicMegaDrive said:
For the reason Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid, Animaniacs, Earthworm Jim, and Road Rovers were all canceled, you can look to this man:

cap_jkellner.jpg

Jamie Kellner.

He also believed recording programs off television was stealing.

Motherfucker.

Talladega Knight said:
The lack of Clerks: TAS in this thread is disturbing.

Unless it's some sort of trick, which in that case...well played NeoGAF.

i got this on dvd. out of the 6 (i think) episodes maybe 1 or 2 i liked and even then it wasnt omg awesome. i think if they had more time (meaning more episodes) to figure it out it would have improved.

SonicMegaDrive said:
For the reason Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid, Animaniacs, Earthworm Jim, and Road Rovers were all canceled, you can look to this man:

cap_jkellner.jpg

Jamie Kellner.

i never knew that but i remember liking the saturday WB lineup during that freakazoid/earthworm jim/animaniacs run. what a loser

LRB1983

Banned
Zoe said:
There were 46?? I thought they only aired 13 here :(
Yes on Japan, France, Spain and some countries of South America they aired all of them, but It's still canned. Dai's story it's about 275 episodes.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
Invader Zim and Gargoyles

What really sucks about Gargoyles is that Disney has burned the fans 3 times! First they cancel it, then bring it back, but with bad writing and animation, and finally they cancel the DVD releases!

I'm very bitter about the whole Gargoyles dvd issue. It just seems cruel to not release volume 3. At least Invader Zim had all its episodes released, with awesome commentaries on most episodes.

Well, in his defense, he did try to revamp Pinky & The Brain before canceling it when he told the producers they had to add new, marketable characters, leading to the incredible, unforgettable classic: Pinky, Elmyra & The Brain.

The man's a genius, I tells ya. A genius.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Well, in his defense, he did try to revamp Pinky & The Brain before canceling it when he told the producers they had to add new, marketable characters, leading to the incredible, unforgettable classic: Pinky, Elmyra & The Brain.

...whenever Poochie's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Poochie"?

Darko

SonicMegaDrive said:

wat? glad I never saw those episodes.

goldenticket said:
...whenever Poochie's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Poochie"?
:lol

It would not surprise me if that episode was partly influenced by that madness, considering they both happened around the same time.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
^ Pinky, Elmyra & The Brain sounds retarded at first but it was actually very funny.

I don't know if it was cancelled or whatever but I'm still annoyed that they never produced the last episode of Dungeons & Dragons.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Talladega Knight said:
The lack of Clerks: TAS in this thread is disturbing.

Unless it's some sort of trick, which in that case...well played NeoGAF.

The 2nd episode of the series is the all time funniest cartoon episode. Doing a flashback episode for your 2nd episode is the greatest idea ever.

Fuu said:
^ Pinky, Elmyra & The Brain sounds retarded at first but it was actually very funny.

I don't know if it was cancelled or whatever but I'm still annoyed that they never produces the last episode of Dungeons & Dragons.

I like to think the kids were stranded there.

Forever.

Arthrus

Megas XLR! However, at some point the episodes went downhill really fast and it stopped being good =(

Therefore, not sure if want.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Zoe said:
There were 46?? I thought they only aired 13 here :(

There was a DQ animated series, that actually aired here? Whoa... How could I have missed that...?

Zoe

djtiesto said:
There was a DQ animated series, that actually aired here? Whoa... How could I have missed that...?

Yep, it even predated the Sailor Moon dub by a few years, IIRC.

I remember thinking Clone High looked retarded when I saw the ads for it...then I watched all of the episodes via the only means at the time (downloading through a certain website where I get my MST3K eps).

My god, what have I done? That show was amazing!

Borgnine said:
The Pirates of Dark Water
Why did it take two posts before someone mentioned this?

Pretty much most of FOX in the early-mid 90's (Eek the Cat, Dark Water a.k.a The Pirates of Dark Water, X-Men). Throw in Rocko's Modern Life, Megas XLR (OMG the anime nuts like it!), Samurai Jack (see last parenthesis), Justice League and its sequel Unlimited, Batman: Beyond, Mission Hill...

also Invasion: America was a miniseries that ended. Technically it wasn't canceled unless it came back in another incarnation I don't know of.

LRB1983

Banned
djtiesto said:
There're 2 Dragon Quest animated series XD
Dai No Daiboken. (46 episodes 3 OVA's)
Dragon Quest (32 episodes) based on DQIII

I think there're some other movies but I'm not sure.

At this point everything that needs to be said probably has been said, but I'll throw one more on the pile

Dilbert

The best thing UPN ever did (well this and 7 Days)

Let me in

Here's another vote for Rocko's Modern Life. Had a good 4 year run, but might have fared better with an older audience and more creative freedom. Watch it again as an adult and you get all the references you might have missed earlier.

rpmurphy

HamPster PamPster said:
At this point everything that needs to be said probably has been said, but I'll throw one more on the pile

Dilbert

The best thing UPN ever did (well this and 7 Days)

Wasn't the Dilbert cartoon more or less just the comics but animated? I remember watching one or two episodes and some parts I know were word-for-word from the strips.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
VAIL said:

ElTigre.jpg

im not sure what it is about this show, but i was really cautious going into it, and ended up thoroughly liking it. there arent many shows like it on tv today, which is depressing.

also, fillmore

Fillmore.jpg

a detective show thats a parody of those 70's cop shows, and it was a good one. it a shame it got executed(much like the weekenders) for being the icarus to the sun that was kim possible, but it at least had 2 seasons, so i cant be too bitter

rpmurphy said:
Wasn't the Dilbert cartoon more or less just the comics but animated? I remember watching one or two episodes and some parts I know were word-for-word from the strips.

it might have done a joke used in the strip, but that was it. it was far different from the strips i'd read. way over the top with a lot of the episodes

Koomaster

Speaking of Sailor Moon, sad that many people in the US will probably never see the final season Sailor Stars, which imo was the cartoon at it's best - the finale was just amazing. But I guess the whole hermaphrodites being main characters put a hamper on anyone wanting to dub the episodes. I mean, if they made Sailor Uranus and Neptune cousins, who knows what would have happened to the Starlights.

And on this note, no more Sailor Moon. :(

Although, once you
Save the Universe
there is no where else you can take the series. Although I would have loved to see some episodes from Neo Tokyo, and more of Chibiusa's future.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SonicMegaDrive said:
Behold! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy_-KBvO8Ek

A raping of your childhood!

I also want to add that every time I hear Cree Summer sing, I lose 3 hairs.
Brain- "I deeply resent this." :lol

djtiesto said:
Eek! The Cat

eek.jpg
Such a great show. I feel bad for this generation because most of the tripe that passes for kids' entertainment is embarrassing and demeaning for everyone involved, including the kids.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Koomaster said:
Speaking of Sailor Moon, sad that many people in the US will probably never see the final season Sailor Stars, which imo was the cartoon at it's best - the finale was just amazing. But I guess the whole hermaphrodites being main characters put a hamper on anyone wanting to dub the episodes. I mean, if they made Sailor Uranus and Neptune cousins, who knows what would have happened to the Starlights.

And on this note, no more Sailor Moon. :(

Although, once you
Save the Universe
there is no where else you can take the series. Although I would have loved to see some episodes from Neo Tokyo, and more of Chibiusa's future.

wait, what? i remember them having a male form and female form, i didnt know they were both at once.

Zoe

Parallax said:
wait, what? i remember them having a male form and female form, i didnt know they were both at once.

It's not like they ever gave specifics or spelled it out. You could go either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom