• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cartoons that were good yet canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

Gagaman said:
Holy crap, now there's something I that just creeped back out from the back of my brain, thanks for that little nostalgia trip. :lol
Looks like it was outsourced to Japan, looking at it now.

Galaxy High has an interesting pedigree. The characters were designed by John Kricfalusi (Ren and Stimpy), the theme song composed by Don Felder (Eagles), and was written and directed by Chris Columbus (director of several Harry Potter movies).

Logo-robotjones.gif

TreIII

Combine said:
Gargoyles was also great, but I felt it's potential was seriously hampered by Disney and especially all the bad campy humor they insisted on inserting into it.

Considering what they were able to get away with in that cartoon, in that era, and in spite of Disney being their overlords, I would consider it nothing short of miraculous. Blood, onscreen gun violence, sexual connotations, violence, racism/xenophobia in action, and this was also the show that truly gave birth to the legendary "Xanatos Gambit". It was the thing of awesomeness. :lol

Again, really, the main failing of the show was that there was allegedly more pressure for Weisman (series creator) to change his vision to accommodate Disney/Buena Vista's wishes, and he wasn't willing to comply, so he left. That's why got "Goliath Chronicles".

But again, I can't stress it enough, if you really want to see what else Weisman had in mind, support the new comics from Slave Labor Graphics. The first Trade PaperBack collection is out now, and, hopefully, the new ones will follow soon this year.

...Then just join me and others in hoping that Disney will stop being a bunch of pussies, and allow Weisman and SLG to continue what they began!

Galaxy High? Oh shit that's a blast from the past!

What about that cartoon which must have been by the same people, it was a dracula like school with ghouls, vampires and monsters but there was one ordinary american teen there who was one of the main roles, one of the monsters use to surf on a wave through the coradoors.

The only thing I remember about Undergrads is one episode where a woman was dressed as Ulala from Space Channel 5. Totally blew my mind at the time. I think it was the same episode where that one dude decided to stop drinking.

Oh god this part:

"I am 21 so drinking is YES"

Youtube has like every episode it seems...Huh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ikkyoFuDWg

Seriously though I'll go with Gargoyles.

NotWii

Banned
DanteFox said:
Samurai Jack was amazing as well. I don't even remember whether or not he ever accomplished his mission. The whole show was based around him trying to go back to the past to defeat the evil dragon guy, but in every episode, a new means of accomplishing that task eludes him. Where was the storyline when the show was cancelled? Why was it cancelled?
It wasn't cancelled, didn't it just finish on it's own?
And yes, it was amazing, one of the most atmospheric cartoons ever with lots of cleverness about it

Kusagari

critch said:
DARKWING FUCKING DUCK.

Cancelled so they could concentrate on making "A Goofy Movie", just as they were bringing back the Tim Curry voiced "Taurus Bulba".

It was the deathknell for Disney animation. From there we got crap like Bonkers, then everything moved to the Disney Channel. Though Aladdin and the Hercules cartoon were quite good, and the Buzz Lightyear thing, DW was the last great 'Disney Afternoon' , and they should have made it a movie like they did with Goof Troop and the criminally underrated Ducktales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp.

This. Especially since they had the entire next season planned for Darkwing Duck and it sounded fucking epic.

The best part about Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain was that there was a Tiny Toons episode dedicated to completely fleshing out Elmyra's family and their quirks... and PEatB completely ignored it. :lol

smurfx said:

That was a great show for the time, and it's so hard to explain that to people, especially when they knew it came from cheap miniature toys. :lol Surprisingly dark in spots, had more continuity than you would expect, and it had a proper "final" episode with a surprising ending
that neatly explained syndication in a way

LRB1983 said:
Dragon Quest: Dai No Daibouken
2llnb6e.jpg

46 episodes :( Sailor Moon guilty.

Holy crap, I remember that! They ended it in the US with "PLAY THE GAME TO FIND OUT HOW IT ENDS," I don't even think the singular US Dragon Warrior released was the same story. :lol

Kusagari said:
This. Especially since they had the entire next season planned for Darkwing Duck and it sounded fucking epic.

What were their plans for the next season?

effzee

Gantz said:

OMG wtf was that show? I remember watching it as a kid simply because it was a cartoon but it went way over my head.

GARGOYLES was one of the best shows ever.

And was it me or was there some obvious sexual tension between Goliath and the cop lady.

rezuth

Puncture said:
In any case I vote Dexters lab and PPG. Not sure if either of those were cancelled. But they are the only animated shows I have seen an episode of in the last 10 years or so, and I enjoyed them so I guess those are my choices.
Dude, they made Dexters Labratory all the way upto 2003. They started remaking it back in 2000.

Strike

rezuth said:
Dude, they made Dexters Labratory all the way upto 2003. They started remaking it back in 2000.

Yup. Same thing happened with PPG and Johnny Bravo and they all sucked. Completely different shows after that.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
A lot of people are posting shows that got canceled but had a lot of seasons before that happened. That shit doesn't count.

Anyways, Clone High and the PJ's.

KevinCow said:
Yet shit like Ed, Edd, & Eddy lived on.
Hey, fuck you man. The triple E's were alright. I swear to Christ I lived right across the street from the girls the Kanker sisters were based on.
Those were dark times

Gagaman

ckohler said:
Galaxy High has an interesting pedigree. The characters were designed by John Kricfalusi (Ren and Stimpy), the theme song composed by Don Felder (Eagles), and was written and directed by Chris Columbus (director of several Harry Potter movies).
I looked it up and while John K did work on the show, he's credited as a 'graphic designer', not character designer. I guess that could mean anything, though. Wiki got it wrong.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Strike said:
Yup. Same thing happened with PPG and Johnny Bravo and they all sucked. Completely different shows after that.

Yeah... except with different directors and such. DL 2000's series felt crap.

jibblypop

Banned
I see I was already beat multiple times with "The Critic" but I have to repeat it again. I was really pissed off when that got canceled.

Gagaman said:
I looked it up and while John K did work on the show, he's credited as a 'graphic designer', not character designer. I guess that could mean anything, though. Wiki got it wrong.

Yeah, John K definitely did character designs for the show. If you sit back and watch it, there are tons of alien characters that have his design quirks in them. Also, there's sketches and whatnot on the internet that he did for the show.

viakado said:
and yet we have a shit of a series in King of the hill still running.

King of the Hill is a good show, man.

I'll say Rocko's Modern Life, Mission Hill, Clone High and for a children's cartoon show, Camp Lazlo was pretty badass, but that ended alot earlier than I thought it would. Not sure if it was cancelled as it did have a last episode, but w/evs.

Loudninja said:
Beast Wars.

As much as I want to agree, this was not so much canceled as it was... "evolved" into the craptastic Beast Machines...

But yeah I have the first 2 seasons and cannot for the life of me find the 3rd (other then paying way too much on ebay...)

Penguin

BigAT said:
I can't believe I forgot this but:

kb3zbl.jpg

Batman: The Animated Series

Incredibly dark cartoon that I loved as a kid, and really still do enjoy watching to this day. I know it changed names and existed in one form or another for a while, but to me the original first couple of seasons were the best and some of the stuff that spun off it (The New Batman Adventures, etc.) just didn't measure up to the original.

How does that equal being cancelled?
The show in one form or another lasted for over a decade and even had like 2 proper conclusions. :lol

Undergrads for me, I wanted to see sophmore and junior and senior year. :(

Aaron

fullmetalht said:
I'll say Rocko's Modern Life, Mission Hill, Clone High and for a children's cartoon show, Camp Lazlo was pretty badass, but that ended alot earlier than I thought it would. Not sure if it was cancelled as it did have a last episode, but w/evs.
Rocko's Modern Life wasn't canceled. I'm almost positive that the creator of the series had to stop for personal reasons, and they weren't willing to go on without him.

Also, a show not mentioned yet was Galaxy Rangers. Pretty cool sci-fi show for its time, and most of the episodes still hold up today. Got good ratings, but couldn't secure a toy deal in the US which doomed a second season.

effzee

klownboots said:
As much as I want to agree, this was not so much canceled as it was... "evolved" into the craptastic Beast Machines...

But yeah I have the first 2 seasons and cannot for the life of me find the 3rd (other then paying way too much on ebay...)

Beast Wars I though ended and had a finale where
Dinobot discovers humans and sacrifices himself while also teaching the humans how to use tools
no?

Beast Wars was awesome though. I remember rushing home from school everyday to make sure I get to see it.

Whatever else it transformed into when they went back to their planet was pure crap. I tried to watch the first few episodes but it was beyond boring and the only thing they were banking on was the new look/animation.

Barrage

effzee said:
Dinobot discovers humans and sacrifices himself while also teaching the humans how to use tools
no?

That was an episode in the middle of the 2nd season, not the finale.

Most of the one I would've volounteered have been mentioned (Maxx, Undergrads) so i'll just say WildC.A.T.S. 'cuz fuck y'all.

Combine

Banned
effzee said:
GARGOYLES was one of the best shows ever.

And was it me or was there some obvious sexual tension between Goliath and the cop lady.
Nope, it was pretty damn obvious even to a kid you could cut that tension with a damn feather :lol . I think they even finally kissed in the last episode of the regular series (before that Goliath Chronicle abomination).

I remember one of the last episodes where the girl cop was about to get romantic with another cop but she stopped herself because it felt like betrayal. Good thing she did too because I remember Goliath actually watching them with a seriously pissed off look on his face. :D

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
effzee said:
no?

Beast Wars was awesome though. I remember rushing home from school everyday to make sure I get to see it.

Whatever else it transformed into when they went back to their planet was pure crap. I tried to watch the first few episodes but it was beyond boring and the only thing they were banking on was the new look/animation.

Wasn't the finale, was called Code of Hero. Such a brilliant episode.

effzee

BorkBork said:
Wasn't the finale, was called Code of Hero. Such a brilliant episode.

Oh shit how come I do not remember the episodes after that point?

I need to go back and watch all of it again. It was brilliant.

ghostextr.gif

Extreme Ghostbusters had an awful name, terrible TV commercials, and a lot of malice from watchers like me who hated the idea of the Ghostbusters being replaced by what seemed like a generic "let's appeal to every demographic" group of kids. Despite all that, the show was a lot more faithful to the Ghostbusters than you'd first expect, they did have Egon going out in the field at first and showed in detail why he becomes a mentor, instead of just shoving him into the role in the very first second of the series, and the characters had some depth and decent writing at times. Plus, there was an episode with a moment of sideboob. :lol Peter Griffin would've been proud.

Ghost designs were pretty weak though, the same generic "stringy demon" look for most of them, just like the problem the Men in Black cartoon had. Slimer's design was terrible as well, as you can see in the picture.

Ganondorfo

I don't know the name of this cartoon

It's about a blonde young kid with a red hat and a smart chicken and a conan barbarian kinda guy. They must fight against evil in every episode. I think it was called max and something, dunno anymore.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ganondorfo said:
I don't know the name of this cartoon

It's about a blonde young kid with a red hat and a smart chicken and a conan barbarian kinda guy. They must fight against evil in every episode. I think it was called max and something, dunno anymore.

The Adventures of Mighty Max.

Ganhyun

some more, not sure if they got cancelled or not.

The Super Mario Bros cartoon, as well as the Zelda incusions later on and the one with the kid who played Nintendo getting made a hero or something in the Nintendo universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom