• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cartoons that were good yet canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
18060_bots_308.jpg

bots2.jpg

"LAZER TIME BOYZZ!"

Ninjzz just reaffirmed my deep seated childhood affinity for ninjas. No one fucks with that dude.

critch

Banned
Kulock said:
What were their plans for the next season?

From Wiki:
These episodes were only in the very early concept stages (Or various stages of production) at the time of the series' cancellation. They did not even enter the production or animation stage. Disney never confirmed if they had been completed nor why they were never aired.

Yours, Mayan, and Ours - Taurus Bulba was intended to return in this episode to seek an artifact located in Africa that will restore his organic body, however it requires four elements (Electricity, Water, Nature and Fire). Darkwing and Gosalyn were intended to make a trip to Africa to for a school project and countered an African version of Darkwing.

The Perils of Parmizon the Planet Eater - Cometguy was intended to return including an introduction for a new villain.

Pranks for the Memories - Paddywhack was intended to return.

Opposites Attack - Negaduck I was supposed to be released from Darkwing's body while he is fighting with Negaduck II, which soon results in an unwanted alliance between D.W. and Negaduck II.

Ganondorfo said:
I don't know the name of this cartoon

It's about a blonde young kid with a red hat and a smart chicken and a conan barbarian kinda guy. They must fight against evil in every episode. I think it was called max and something, dunno anymore.
Fowl actually!
Tyrone Slothrop said:
Mighty Max had a proper ending iirc
It did.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man oh man, this thread has brought back memories, and I haven't even gone through all of it yet... wow...

JoeMartin

Homemovies_sm.png

Home movies was so good. It's only being rerun on Adult Swim right now, but at ridiculously late night/early morning, which sucks.

wRATH2x

Banned
Almost all the cartoons I love are listed :lol

Dexters Lab was ruined after it was canceled and brought back without GT.

Shapingo

Ookami-kun said:
People are confusing canceled to "ended". <__>

Yeah half if not most of these shows ran what they were contracted to air (they even had endings). People don't read or understand thread titles. This thread turned into my favorite cartoon that is no longer on.

If that is the case then I'll pick Justice league. Easily could have went on for more seasons.

Bruce Timm & Co should make a series about the Green Lantern Corps.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Silent Death said:
Anyone mention Galaxy Rangers, Bionic Six, or Dungeons and Dragons, yet?

D&D, yes. I haven't seen mention of Galaxy Rangers or Bionic Six yet, though. Both of those shows had great theme music, btw.

I think some shows have ends, but they could have easily carried on if the money was there. Mighty Max is a pretty good example, because while it does explain repeats pretty handily, right from the start they show that Max and Virgil still had their memories, so things would presumably go differently from there.

Ookami-kun said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K46McMq9IF4

See... that's why you were canceled. ;_;

I had forgotten that. :lol I thought the most questionable thing from that episode was Colleen's squeaky toys, but that beats it.

They had to have known that was the last episode they'd be writing.

GDGF

Soothsayer
ckohler said:
You're thinking of Kidd Video.

Am I? Dammit I am getting my 80's cartoons mixed up.

Edit: Yep, that's the one. I remember the live action part and Master Blaster and all that.
I think this and Galaxy High came on right after each other when I was a kid.

I'm gonna go watch this right now, actually.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
JoeMartin said:
Homemovies_sm.png

Home movies was so good. It's only being rerun on Adult Swim right now, but at ridiculously late night/early morning, which sucks.

did home movies get canceled, or did brendan small just end it to do metalokalypse? still, considering how offbeat and quirky it is, four seasons is pretty damn good.

CTLance

Eh. I liked Invader Zim and Dilbert. But mainly Invader Zim.

<rant>Come on, how fucked up in the head do you have to be to have Vasquez of all people do a kids cartoon. Not that I'm opposed to it, quite the opposite, the end result speaks for itself after all (it's awesome!). Yet I still wonder how in the world anybody in power could think this was a good idea or worth the risk. Whatever may be the reason, we need more of this "insanity".</>​
I have the DVD box set & house & Gir, so I'm a happy camper (considering that it could have just been sweeped under the rug like so many other series).

ElyrionX

Reading this thread, I went to Wiki to read about Swat Kats and stumbled upon the following:

SWAT Kats became the number one syndicated animated show of 1994, according to Nielsen Television Index (NTI) and Nielsen Syndication Service (NSS). Hanna Barbera Productions also stated this in a SWAT Kats Poster ad that they were going to release new episodes, posters, and other works in 1995. Toon Magazine also published a section about the success of SWAT Kats in Fall 1994 issue. Modelsheets of characters were also released in the same issue. The show was canceled with three unfinished episodes.

If the show was so successful, why was it canned? I remember Season 2 was hell of a lot better than Season 1 so it was surprising to see it get cancelled so abruptly.

Justice League Unlimited

ReBoot

Captain N

Gargoyles

Darkwing Duck

Samurai Jack

And, one final mention that, while I know it wasn't cancelled, I was impressed CN allowed it to end the way it did.

Codename: Kids Next Door. Operation I.N.T.E.R.V.I.E.W.S. was a stroke of genius ^_^

DanteFox

dragon-ball-z.jpg

Was this cancelled?

It feels like it was because of the lame ending. There wasn't enough closure for me. After Z, GT was just awful and was only good for entertaining the idea of "what if" the show had continued.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
ElyrionX said:
Reading this thread, I went to Wiki to read about Swat Kats and stumbled upon the following:

If the show was so successful, why was it canned? I remember Season 2 was hell of a lot better than Season 1 so it was surprising to see it get cancelled so abruptly.

Blame Ted Turner. ZOMG TOO VIOLENT

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
583_5940124812.jpg

I used to watch Extreme Ghostbusters cause of that girl.

Hawt dammit

Darklord

Banned
DanteFox said:
dragon-ball-z.jpg

Was this cancelled?

It feels like it was because of the lame ending. There wasn't enough closure for me. After Z, GT was just awful and was only good for entertaining the idea of "what if" the show had continued.

No, actually it was went to end after the Freeza saga and Goku dies on Namak then because it was so popular it went on for another season and was meant to end after Cell dying, then it dragged on for another season and went kinda shitty. Then GT came out and was a steaming pile of horse shit.

The shows that I hated seeing canceled were Rocko's Modern Life, Ahh! Real Monsters, The Angry Beavers, Mighty Max but the ones that burned me the most were:

EXO Squad
Mummies Alive!

I need resolutions dammit!

Darklord said:
No, actually it was went to end after the Freeza saga and Goku dies on Namak then because it was so popular it went on for another season and was meant to end after Cell dying, then it dragged on for another season and went kinda shitty. Then GT came out and was a steaming pile of horse shit.

You know, I think continuing into the Cell saga was a good thing. I think the end of the Cell Saga is actually a better ending than the end of the Frieza saga, in that I find it more satisfying. Gohan being the hero in the end is, I think, just a better way to end that series. Gohan also should have been the one to defeat Majin Buu, I think, but that's another story entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom