• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle of Illusion Announced (Sega/Sega Australia, 360/PSN/PC), remake, screens/video

Kitoro

This is what Epic Mickey should have looked like.

Exactly. This game actually has style to its art style. Epic Mickey looked soulless by comparison; completely flat.

This news is awesome, but wake me up when World of Illusion gets remade and brings real co-op back again.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Looks great. I'm sure I don't have to point out to Disney that offering TF2 Mickey Ears as a pre-purchase incentive would be a very wise move.

The Lamp

Crap, I thought it was gonna be the genesis port, not an HD remake :-(

Are people so jaded that they are actually upset that they will get to play an upgraded version of a game with modern graphics instead of a blurry pixelated 20 year old game that looks like ass?

This looks fantastic lol.

Thorakai

As someone who never played Duck Tales or Castle of Illusion, I'm glad this game decided to stick to one style 100%. The Duck Tales remake just looks jarring with the pixel art on top of cheap 3D backgrounds. This looks nice and cohesive.

7Th

Are people so jaded that they are actually upset that they will get to play an upgraded version of a game with modern graphics instead of a blurry pixelated 20 year old game that looks like ass?

Angled perspective on 2D platformers is mostly awful. I actually don't remember a single instance of it working.

Why would they ax the Wii U version when Mickey games always sell better on Nintendo platforms? Either the Wii U version hasn't been announced yet or Sega is literally the stupidest company on the planet.

Well Sega Studios Australia is closing soon, so maybe they didn't get to port the game to other platforms in time.

looks like a sega c-team game. i guess nobody in japan wanted to dirty their hands with this one?

oh well. no more hype left. give me the original ported by M2.

ih8a58LiUwK8k.gif

Holy crap

That looks fucking beautiful

I agree. They took my childhood and made it even prettier.

I would really like to have this on my Wii U. Please Sega. It needs things for me to play on it.

Endless

Two more screens

PR

SEGA AND DISNEY INTERACTIVE ANNOUNCE CASTLE OF ILLUSION FEATURING MICKEY MOUSE

Iconic SEGA Genesis Title Returns to Consoles in Summer 2013

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO– 15th April, 2013 –SEGA® Europe Ltd., and SEGA® of America, Inc. in collaboration with Disney Interactive today announced the upcoming digital release of Castle of Illusion staring Mickey Mouse™, a complete re-imagining of the iconic Mega Drive/Genesis side-scrolling adventure first released in 1990. Developed by Sega Studios Australia, Castle of Illusion Featuring Mickey Mouse will be available worldwide for digital download on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for Xbox 360®, PlayStation®Network and Windows PC in summer 2013.

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse first debuted on the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive in 1990 to critical acclaim. Excellent controls, music, and graphics helped to bring the magic of Disney to millions of SEGA fans around the world. Castle of Illusion Featuring Mickey Mouse will continue this tradition. Completely rebuilt from the ground up, Castle of Illusion has stunning visuals and new gameplay mechanics. Fans will enjoy the original storyline as they help Mickey save Minnie from the evil witch, Mizrabel.

“The original Castle of Illusion was tremendously entertaining and has a well-deserved reputation as a SEGA classic. Castle of Illusion Featuring Mickey Mouse brings this great game to a new generation,” said Chris Olson, vice president of Digital Business at SEGA of America. “Mickey is back and he looks fantastic.”

Nooooo way this is missing Wii U, Sega aren't stupid. I'm not counting Wii U out unless Sega says it's not happening specifically. If they do I kindly request they get their heads examined Because they will have gone fucking Goofy.

Wish they'd gone with the white-faced Mickey. Epic Mickey sucked but he's been popping up in the new shorts and that's redeemed him in a big way.

I'd have bought this on Wii U, but no mention in the press release leads me to believe it's not coming. If it doesn't end up on the eShop I'll just stick with the Genesis cart I have in my game room.

I wonder if Nintendo and Sega had a falling out. We haven't seen a digital release on a Nintendo platform since the first GameGear games on the eShop...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This + DuckTales = Disney Nostalgia on fire this Summer!

god damnit... that is terrible animation of those marching toy soldiers in the trailer.. their feet are slipping all over the place...

that is NOT a good sign if the team that made that trailer is the same as the team devving the game...

Lijik

Looks great! Hope the animation ingame looks good and they nail the soundtrack.

Wish they'd gone with the white-faced Mickey. Epic Mickey sucked but he's been popping up in the new shorts and that's redeemed him in a big way.
Hes also from what I can see the main marketing Mickey. All their christmas and valentines stuff i saw in stores had him.
Wouldnt make much sense to use him for a remake thats selling to nostalgia and didnt use that design imo.

Neff

They sucked all the texture, colour and charm out of the game by the look of it. I'll wait for gameplay footage before writing it off, but this just makes me more glad I still own the original cart.

That said, if the original game is packed-in, I'll definitely go for it.

god damnit... that is terrible animation of those marching toy soldiers in the trailer.. their feet are slipping all over the place...

that is NOT a good sign if the team that made that trailer is the same as the team devving the game...

Same thing with the way Mickey pops up surprised. There's like 2 keys, one on the ground, one in the air and then repeat the one on the ground again. Not good signs.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Weird that some sites think this game is PS3 exclusive. Well, a post on Kotaku said so at least

Tagg9

Looks nice, but the perspective seems a bit odd.

I can't believe you guys want a straight Genesis port. Go back and look at the old game, and tell me you don't want an HD remaster.

Zomba13

Looks cool. Never played castle of illusion. I was all over World of Illusion though. Love me some Donald Duck and co-op.
If WoI gets a remake I will explode. Was one of my favourite Mega Drive games.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Looks nice, but the perspective seems a bit odd.

I can't believe you guys want a straight Genesis port. Go back and look at the old game, and tell me you don't want an HD remaster.

I don't.
I was hoping for another set in their Vintage collection like Monster World, Shinobi, Toe-Jam, etc.

Top Bottom