• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle of Illusion Announced (Sega/Sega Australia, 360/PSN/PC), remake, screens/video

The screenshots look pretty good to me, but I will have to wait and see how this game will look in motion before I can comment more on it. Also, there will be a PC version too? Great. Is someone at Disney contacting all these game Developers to do remakes of of their 8-16 bit platformers?

Edge is reporting the developer's already going out of business:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/castle-of-illusion-hd-remake-confirmed-for-psn-this-summer/

VIDEOGAMES!

Man, that's rough...

bring on da Aladdin remake.

As long as it is based on the awesome Virgin Interactive version.

Yes Boss!

Are people so jaded that they are actually upset that they will get to play an upgraded version of a game with modern graphics instead of a blurry pixelated 20 year old game that looks like ass?

This looks fantastic lol.

Nope, was just thinking it was going to be part of Sega's Vintage line and kinda bummed it isn't. Not like I'm not getting this one and am happy (way happier for this than Duck Tales), just the first Castle of Illusion is one of the 16-bit highlights. Besides, this is not an upgrade...just a remake. There is nothing dated, blurry, pixelated or assy about the original release. You've just have bad eyesight, I gather.

I'd have bought this on Wii U, but no mention in the press release leads me to believe it's not coming. If it doesn't end up on the eShop I'll just stick with the Genesis cart I have in my game room.

I wonder if Nintendo and Sega had a falling out. We haven't seen a digital release on a Nintendo platform since the first GameGear games on the eShop...

Sonic All Star Racing 2 selling the best on the Wii U must've been the cause...really, all signs just point to Sega being stupid

Kyari

Kotaku have done their usual high level of fact checking on their new post about this by claiming its ps3 exclusive (it's not)

Tagg9

Nope, was just thinking it was going to be part of Sega's Vintage line and kinda bummed it isn't. Not like I'm not getting this one and am happy (way happier for this than Duck Tales), just the first Castle of Illusion is one of the 16-bit highlights. Besides, this is not an upgrade...just a remake. There is nothing dated, blurry, pixelated or assy about the original release. You've just have bad eyesight, I gather.

I'm sorry, but the original simply does not hold up today. Looking through old screenshots, it's difficult to tell what some of the pixel art is meant to be, and there's no real depth to anything.

h4TkQnD.gif

Anth0ny

Why would they ax the Wii U version when Mickey games always sell better on Nintendo platforms? Either the Wii U version hasn't been announced yet or Sega is literally the stupidest company on the planet.

Sonic always sold best on Wii, yet there was no Wii version of Sonic Generations.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sonic always sold best on Wii, yet there was no Wii version of Sonic Generations.

Probably for technical reasons. Here, the platforms are more evenly matched and a Wii U version was rumored to be in development.

Maybe Sega tightened the purse strings, killing the developer and forcing them to axe the Vita/Wii U versions. Who knows.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
If I remember correctly, the reason why Sonic Team skipped out Generations on Wii (and the reason why there is a 3DS version, relative to the handheld field at the time) was they wanted to have the best graphics and hardware for Sonic's anniversary, no compromises, sales be damned.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm sorry, but the original simply does not hold up today. Looking through old screenshots, it's difficult to tell what some of the pixel art is meant to be, and there's no real depth to anything.

h4TkQnD.gif

Looks fine.

Eh, it wouldn't be hard for them to package the original ROM in an emulator and include it with this version.

Yeah, but they won't.

In any case, that's was just my original hope.
I'll likely still get this version.

Anth0ny

If I remember correctly, the reason why Sonic Team skipped out Generations on Wii (and the reason why there is a 3DS version, relative to the handheld field at the time) was they wanted to have the best graphics and hardware for Sonic's anniversary, no compromises, sales be damned.

sonic20loop-620xoczha.jpg

jmizzal

Seeing that the devs are going out of business, maybe the WiiU/Vita version are gonna be down by another team and announced later, I mean how hard would it be to port this?

TimmiT

Wii had Sonic Colours the year before Generations though, and Generations had a (mediocre cash-in) 3DS version.

Also, seeing how this game was rated for Wii U and Vita, I wouldn't be surprised if a release for those platforms will be announced later on. SEGA does that more often, like Sonic Generations PC, Binary Domain PC and Jet Set Radio Vita/iOS weren't announced until later on.

zainetor

Banned

h4TkQnD.gif

it was one of the first genesis titles. For its age, I think it still holds up pretty well.

Seeing that the devs are going out of business, maybe the WiiU/Vita version are gonna be down by another team and announced later, I mean how hard would it be to port this?
To put this into perspective, the Wii U SKU of Epic Mickey 2 sold better than the PS3/360 versions despite being a rushed, glitchy port. This doesn't make any sense.

I wonder if Nintendo and Sega had a falling out. We haven't seen a digital release on a Nintendo platform since the first GameGear games on the eShop...

The Cave was on the Wii U eShop, I think that was after the GG games.

As long as it is based on the awesome Virgin Interactive version.

This is probably why we will never see an Aladdin rerelease(I wouldn't buy it unless it was the SNES version).

jmizzal

To put this into perspective, the Wii U SKU of Epic Mickey 2 sold better than the PS3/360 versions despite being a rushed, glitchy port. This doesn't make any sense.

Not only that WiiU install base is about %5 of those, and Sega only has 1 WiiU game out or that we even know of and that Sonic Racing

Hex

Banned
Looks amazing, people really need to get their cracked nostalgia goggles and enjoy the shit out of these.

Meelow

Banned
Thats weird this is not WiiU, Epic Mickey sold great on WiiU

I think someone should tweet Sega asking about a possible Wii U version, I won't rule it out until Sega says "No Wii U version".

You never know with Nintendo version of third party games.

This is probably why we will never see an Aladdin rerelease(I wouldn't buy it unless it was the SNES version).

The SNES version did get a re-release on the Game Boy Advance back in 2004. More than likely Disney would work with Capcom again to do a remake of the SNES game. Virgin Interactive has been dead for decades now, there's nobody to really contact if Disney wanted to do a remake of one of their games.

Top Bottom