• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle of Illusion Announced (Sega/Sega Australia, 360/PSN/PC), remake, screens/video

The SNES version did get a re-release on the Game Boy Advance back in 2004. More than likely Disney would work with Capcom again to do a remake of the SNES game. Virgin Interactive has been dead for decades now, there's nobody to really contact if Disney wanted to do a remake of one of their games.

I'm under the impression that Disney itself owns the Virgin titles, but I might be wrong.

radcliff

Maybe Wii U/Vita will get the original 16-bit game. I would consider that to be the superior version of the game based on what I'm seeing here for the remakes.

Sid

I would have really liked this getting the Duck Tales treatment IE the same game with much better graphics but I guess this is cool.

KAL2006

Banned
I wish that all these PSN games would get Vita versions. Was annoyed Capcom didnt announce Vita Ducktales and now this.

Ok, I hope this plays good because Im hyped.. that said, I wish they went the Ducktales route.

I want a Sega Genesis Lion King HD remaster/make next! And if we see more from non Disney properties, how about Jurassic Park?

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
It's certainly a lot more visually cohesive than DuckTales, though the isometric stuff makes me side-eye it.

There's no way it won't be worthy of at least Steam sale price though, so bring it on Sega.

SkylineRKR

This looks much better than Ducktales HD, though that game looks good too. If they can nail the gameplay, this might be one of the best games of 2013 for me.

I think the rating that listed both Vita and Wii U was based on the original Genesis game.

I'm under the impression that Disney itself owns the Virgin titles, but I might be wrong.

No you're right, they do. But with Virgin Games gone, it would take a much bigger effort for Disney to find a suitable developer and manage development on their own than it would be to just contact Sega or Capcom and co-produce one of their remakes.

ZeroGravity

According to his Twitter, Grant Kirkhope is doing the music for this game:
Grant Kirkhope ‏@grantkirkhope 12m
Sega annouce Mickey's Castle of Illusion remake, and guess who's done the music ....me!!!!!!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Brazilian ratings board lied to me ;_;

Looking at the screen shots I won't be crying too much.

I'm personally holding out for Magical Quest HD.
FuqnPhm.gif

The Hermit

One if my most beloved game ever... Also i loved that the easiest mode was just a fraction of the full game, wish more games did that.

This game sold me a Mega Drive back in the day. I really hope they don't mess it up too much.

It's worth noting the Master System version was completely different and equally awesome. It was one of the best looking games of the console.

According to his Twitter, Grant Kirkhope is doing the music for this game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Kirkhope
  • Donkey Kong Land 2 1996 Game Boy Conversion of David Wise's Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest soundtrack
  • GoldenEye 007 1997 N64 with Graeme Norgate and Robin Beanland
  • Banjo-Kazooie 1998 N64
  • Donkey Kong 64[12] 1999 N64 With Eveline Fischer (sound effects) and Yukio Kaneoka (from the original Donkey Kong arcade game)
  • Banjo-Tooie 2000 N64
  • Perfect Dark 2000 N64 With David Clynick (cutscenes)
  • Grabbed by the Ghoulies 2003 Xbox
  • Viva Piñata 2006 Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows With Steve Burke
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts 2008 Xbox 360 With Robin Beanland and David Clynick
  • Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise 2008 Xbox 360
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning 2012 Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 With Mark Cromer
  • Fart Cat! 2012 iOS
  • CityVille 2 2012 Zynga, Facebook
  • Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z 2013 Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 [13]
  • Desktop Dungeons

Well if the game sucks, at the very least it might have a good soundtrack.

Salsa

oh shit

it looks fantastic

if you told me 2.5D castle of illusion I would have said NOPE but this actually looks really good

Paz

Good to see they finally announced this, I worked on it for over a year before quitting to work on indie games. Hopefully SSA can really polish this before the studio closes later this year, the original game was a masterpiece!

Best Mickey game confirmed?

The blog was also posted by a Japanese spokesperson, along with original in-house Sega devs giving Interviews, means that they are doing a pretty serious effort even by the Japanese branch.

Makes me excited for the future of Sega's digital route, if this is any indication.

mickeys magical quest 1 for snes still best imo.

GG-Duo

It looks bad. Since it's developed by modern-day Sega I have zero faith in this. Just the dark aesthetic and the plasticky models alone are enough to scare me away.

After watching a master class by Austin Ivansmith, the director of Ducktales Remastered, this weekend at Ideame (he is a really amazing guy), were you could see all the work that is being done to the game, this remake, by the video and the screens, seems bland as hell.

Beated Castle of Illusion some months back again, and it didnt hold up very well, so at least is good they are changing a lot of it. Mickey's model seems to look ok in some screens also.

Lijik

Is there a in-game video or has it been noted that the reveal trailer was done inhouse in the PR (which I skimmed over)

I was under the impression that Sega had their own CG studio separate from the dev teams that does this stuff

Katzii

I'm sorry, but the original simply does not hold up today. Looking through old screenshots, it's difficult to tell what some of the pixel art is meant to be, and there's no real depth to anything.

h4TkQnD.gif

What exactly, pray tell, are you having difficulty identifying here? It's fine.

Lijik

What exactly, pray tell, are you having difficulty identifying here? It's fine.

Im having a hard time believing that people in this thread have trouble identifying things in either version of the game (the remake based on the screens we have so far, of course).

ArjanN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Kirkhope
  • Donkey Kong Land 2 1996 Game Boy Conversion of David Wise's Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest soundtrack
  • GoldenEye 007 1997 N64 with Graeme Norgate and Robin Beanland
  • Banjo-Kazooie 1998 N64
  • Donkey Kong 64[12] 1999 N64 With Eveline Fischer (sound effects) and Yukio Kaneoka (from the original Donkey Kong arcade game)
  • Banjo-Tooie 2000 N64
  • Perfect Dark 2000 N64 With David Clynick (cutscenes)
  • Grabbed by the Ghoulies 2003 Xbox
  • Viva Piñata 2006 Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows With Steve Burke
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts 2008 Xbox 360 With Robin Beanland and David Clynick
  • Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise 2008 Xbox 360
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning 2012 Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 With Mark Cromer
  • Fart Cat! 2012 iOS
  • CityVille 2 2012 Zynga, Facebook
  • Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z 2013 Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 [13]
  • Desktop Dungeons

Well if the game sucks, at the very least it might have a good soundtrack.

Hey, didn't know he was doing music for Yaiba.

Top Bottom