• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle of Illusion Announced (Sega/Sega Australia, 360/PSN/PC), remake, screens/video

Katzii

Im having a hard time believing that people in this thread have trouble identifying things in either version of the game (the remake based on the screens we have so far, of course).

If it were Magical Quest, it'd probably be a different story entirely.

Everyone loves to hate on the Sega Disney games and it makes me sad.

Sblargh

Banned
Well, damn. I loved this game as a kid, and I'm sure I'll love playing a remake.
Excellent move, Sega. I hope the remake can capture the atmosphere, some levels were very eery, bordering the uncomfortable.

I'm sorry, but the original simply does not hold up today. Looking through old screenshots, it's difficult to tell what some of the pixel art is meant to be, and there's no real depth to anything.

h4TkQnD.gif

I played through it the other day on the train and it was still brilliant.

I'd like the Master System version to get some love, too, because for my money it was the tighter, tougher game. They're both class, though, and I'm not surprised the Mega Drive entry is getting the love.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Gameplay screens look alright, but I certainly hope they didn't pay much for that terribad CGI intro. Some of the worst I've seen in a fair while.

prag16

Banned
This is SEGA and I agree that it's quite a disappointment this isn't coming to Wii U, no matter the quality. At this point I wouldn't even bet on the new Sonic hitting Wii U, as stupid as that sounds.

Yup. SEGA's decisions don't necessarily have to make sense. I'm a bit surprised though we didn't see a Sonic Generations late port to Wii U.

Yeah... the numbers don't lie. Skipping Nintendo systems in these cases... head scratch worthy.

No disrespect on these remakes (this and ducktales) but industry wise, why is it easier to remake said games rather than port their 8bit/16 bit versions?

Nose Master

After the hideous "TOTALLY JUST LIKE CASTLE OF ILLUSION MAN" 3DS platformer, no thanks. I'm sure they'll shit the bed on this one, too.

sn00zer

No disrespect on these remakes (this and ducktales) but industry wise, why is it easier to remake said games rather than port their 8bit/16 bit versions?

licencing
EDIT: I think it would actually cost more liscencing wise to rerelease an NES game on a non-Nintendo console than it would be just to remake it....also no one besides the people who originally played it would buy it

ugly

I've never played the original but those screenshots look really, really nice. Is the Genesis version alright? I'd love to play a genuinely good new platformer! The animation in the video was pretty bad though xD

popyea

Screens look okay, but the animation in that teaser was pretty terrible. I'm not sure I like how small Mickey's eyes are.

Lijik

I've never played the original but those screenshots look really, really nice. Is the Genesis version alright? I'd love to play a genuinely good new platformer! The animation in the video was pretty bad though xD

All of the Sega-developed disney games are pretty great in my opinion

While World of Illusion and Mickey Mania would go on to really show how great animated sprites could be in 16-bit gaming. Castle of Illusion was the original and charming as all get out.

Artistically yes it's maybe a bit weaker than the later Disney titles that gen, but theres a lot of personality in CoM. From the opening that makes you feel for Mickey's plight (even if it's corny as all get out, don't tell me Mickey's expression when Minnie is taken from him doesn't get you even a little) to the cheeky little waiting pose and victory poses he makes when he clears a level and the game tells you "You are one step closer to saving Minnie!"

The levels are refreshingly varied, sure theres the classic run and jump formula. But some levels ask you to traverse rivers, climb crumbling ruins, explore a topsy-turvy toytown,and the game always changes up things just that little bit more to keep it fresh. It's not just the same level design copy-pasted onto a new graphical template. The later World of Illusion did it even better and with co-op too. It's odd that doesn't get as much love.

Still I'm super excited for CoL HD - the trailer was a little off for me but those screens look beautiful. I just hope unlike Dreamrift they learned what made the original so great and actually applied it here, rather than distracting with pretty graphics and cameos

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I dunno... The DuckTales game looks better than this.

What other games has Sega Australia made?

Crub

Not sure what "industry wise" means, but it's not easier to create a remake than it is to port the original game. The reason they do a remake is because they think it can make them more money.

licencing
EDIT: I think it would actually cost more liscencing wise to rerelease an NES game on a non-Nintendo console than it would be just to remake it....also no one besides the people who originally played it would buy it
There is no license fee involved in rereleasing a port of a title that was originally a NES game. There are even cases of game collections on non-Nintendo platforms using actual NES and SNES emulators, tailored for the specific games that are using them.

In this specific case I can't think of any licensing fees that wouldn't affect a port and a remake alike.

@MUWANdo

Banned
There is no license fee involved in rereleasing a port of a title that was originally a NES game. There are even cases of game collections on non-Nintendo platforms using actual NES and SNES emulators, tailored for the specific games that are using them.

In this specific case I can't think off any licensing fees that wouldn't affect a port and a remake alike.

Regardless of whether these games are emulations, ports or remakes, the developer (in this case, Sega) still has to pay Disney for the license; the reason they're releasing remakes based off the old games is because it's a lot easier to mitigate the costs of the license with a $15 game than it is a $5/8 game. (That's also part of why these games don't include the original alongside the remake--they'd have to pay Disney for two licenses instead of one.)

Shaneus

Later this year. This is probably (one of) the last thing(s) they'll work on.
:(

Hope you nail it, guys. Go out with a bang.

Edit: This is probably important to note for those wondering about Nintendo releases. The studio is getting shut down after this, there'll probably be a 2nd party port to Wii U etc. after it's primary launch on the systems mentioned in this thread.

Platy

Looks very interesting ... but the third person screen with "new gameplay mechanics" makes me worry a bit ..

Will wait for a gameplay trailer to make a better judgement =x

mr stroke

Best Mickey game confirmed?

The blog was also posted by a Japanese spokesperson, along with original in-house Sega devs giving Interviews, means that they are doing a pretty serious effort even by the Japanese branch.

Makes me excited for the future of Sega's digital route, if this is any indication.

nope

mBwAiLi.jpg

Still the best Mickey game ever, BUT the SEGA game was a close second. Really hyped for this remake. Hopefully they don't fuck it up.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I dream of a Quackshot remake. It's also a Sega developed game.

tumblr_m62l8zwXvf1qbxon3o1_500.jpg

There are Steam achievements for Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion and Quackshot, which is what made people think they were doing another Vintage Collection to begin with. Surely they have something planned for those other two games...

Crub

Regardless of whether these games are emulations, ports or remakes, the developer (in this case, Sega) still has to pay Disney for the license; the reason they're releasing remakes based off the old games is because it's a lot easier to mitigate the costs of the license with a $15 game than it is a $5/8 game. (That's also part of why these games don't include the original alongside the remake--they'd have to pay Disney for two licenses instead of one.)

I am aware of this, and that's pretty much what I wrote in the part of my post you did not quote.

Edit: Isn't it possible though that the deal only involves Disney taking a cut from each sale and no initial fee. I have no clue how these things generally work.

Platy

There are Steam achievements for Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion and Quackshot, which is what made people think they were doing another Vintage Collection to begin with. Surely they have something planned for those other two games...

The small chance of a QuackShot remake ????

OH MY GOD

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The small chance of a QuackShot remake ????

OH MY GOD

I think those are just names of achievements since there's a 12 achievement rule or something.

Tizoc

Funny how this thread has less posts than the DuckTales HD release from Capcom lol.
Looking forward to this, although I expect it to be $10 for some reason (would still get it for $15 tho~)

HOLD UP- When was World of Illusion added to Steam?! If it's the original Genesis Classic then I'd flip: WoI was my freakin' childhood! If it's a remake well hope the graphics'll be good and it'd play similar to the Genesis ver. >_<
Mind linking to the achievements page for WoI please?

I had somehow missed this. Pretty neat if all 3 games are remade! The funny thing is I'd really like to replay Quackshot while I remember my 14 year old self complaining about how easy it was.

Top Bottom