• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Advance Collection shows up on AU Classification site

Circle of the Moon is the most challenging Igavania and one of my favorites, but Nathan could use a couple more animation frames:

CotM.gif

GeekyDad

Not quite that easy considering you had to draw spells in dawn of sorrow iirc. I wouldn't hold your breath for the DS collection
Can't imagine it would be that difficult to just end those bosses after they're slain and leave those (annoying) bits out. Or relegate it to a button press or something like that.

TidusYuna

I have the DS trilogy, plus getting the collection and requiem via LRG preorder. Happy to hear about Castlevania Advance Collection as I was hoping itd be a announced at LRGe3.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Even with save states, the game is really hard.
The finale is the hardest Castlevania encounter I’ve ever played. I don’t even think the final fight in LoS on Paladin was as hard or anything in Order of Ecclesia. I would buy this collection so fast. Aria of Sorrow is excellent. I just want one large GBA/DS collection.

Cool, both DS and GBA Castlevania games deserve better sales👌 despite people complaining it was recycled, having new Castlevania a year, those were amazing days 🤧

The only one that was really recycled and lazy was Portrait of Ruin, and it had different gameplay from AoS and DoS with the "CHARLOTTE!"/"JONATHAN!" screaming and a shitload of alternative modes.

CotM, HoD, and AoS were all pretty unique, DoS was a good sequel (tossing aside the DS gimmicks thrown in and being irrelevant), and OoE was a wildly different type of Castlevania game in art, gameplay, and characters. They definitely weren't just Mega Man-style yearly releases with the same character, same exact moveset + one new thing, and different levels.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

Besides Circle of Moon, all the advance games are great.
You knew you were going to get quoted on this. :p

Circle of the Moon is different in look and feel than every Igavania after, but remains worthwhile. I think it’s a more interesting experience than Harmony of Dissonance in the sense that it’s not trying to be a straight rip of SotN. It has a unique sense of verticality.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Some palette work and the games will look alright, shame about the low resolution.
I'm cautiously optimistic, but they need to completely re do the *sprites or this is going to look horrible overall.

bMKS6Bz.png

That resolution would only fill a tiny corner of my tv and I am not excited about it just being scaled without improving the sprites and animation.

Last edited:

Fake

You knew you were going to get quoted on this. :p

Circle of the Moon is different in look and feel than every Igavania after, but remains worthwhile. I think it’s a more interesting experience than Harmony of Dissonance in the sense that it’s not trying to be a straight rip of SotN. It has a unique sense of verticality.

I disliked because the plot is very meh, cards IMO sucks, not to mention the terrible drop system. No worries with people that like Circle of Moon, but I replayed last year and still finds terrible to play.

Is easy the only castlevania I really dislike, because I don't count the N64 castlevania. Aria of Sorrow and Dissonance on the other hand is great.

Andyliini

Well, Circle of the Moon is not technically Igavania, as he did not work on it. He did work on Castlevania Chronicles for PS1, released around the same time, though. Wouldn't mind that getting a port either.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Aria of Sorrow is the only GBA one I'd still fuck with now. The DS games are all classics though.
The spell drawing was just a gimmick. If they just turned it into a cutscene or made it something done on the Switch touchscreen, nothing would be lost.
Woah, slow down sparky, you just said things that would require effort beyond slapping roms in an exe and uploading it. This is Konami we're talking about.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

The GBA games had such a low resolution i bet Konami will release the same abomination like Square did with FF6

ff6btkmi.jpg
Has anyone ever managed to do this well? Like to draw higher res sprites that line up with the original sprites and attempt to keep the same style? I don't think it's really possible.

You're better off just creating an entirely new art style like Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap or something.

Aria of Sorrow is the only GBA one I'd still fuck with now. The DS games are all classics though.

Woah, slow down sparky, you just said things that would require effort beyond slapping roms in an exe and uploading it. This is Konami we're talking about.

There was also the random brick touch-and-break power that was only used in one room and never seen again.

Everytime I replayed DoS I always thought it was something they had more plans for and just gave up on.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Has anyone ever managed to do this well? Like to draw higher res sprites that line up with the original sprites and attempt to keep the same style? I don't think it's really possible.

You're better off just creating an entirely new art style like Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap or something.
Ff4 psp

Astral Dog

There was also the random brick touch-and-break power that was only used in one room and never seen again.

Everytime I replayed DoS I always thought it was something they had more plans for and just gave up on.
DS was a strange new system for everyone and Iga like many others was just trying stylus controls, thankfully he stopped inmediatly after it, but DoS is still an amazing game

Starhowl

The GBA games had such a low resolution i bet Konami will release the same abomination like Square did with FF6

ff6btkmi.jpg
What I'm worried about most is that they won't include a proper GBA-screen filter that's making the game look authentic, or borders on the left and right sides that would burn into the screen. 🫂

zeomax

DS was a strange new system for everyone and Iga like many others was just trying stylus controls, thankfully he stopped inmediatly after it, but DoS is still an amazing game
Many devs did not trying they where forced to implement some kind of touch screen function in every game because it was required from Nintendo if you wanted to release a DS game.

Last edited:
Playing these games on a 4K display on my MiSTer with GBA filter on, looks phenomenal. It integer upscales so well you should have no worry about the low resolution gba screen.

zeomax

Playing these games on a 4K display on my MiSTer with GBA filter on, looks phenomenal. It integer upscales so well you should have no worry about the low resolution gba screen.
Yes but the MiSTer FPGA is build by retro enthusiast with the main goal to recreate the original look and feel of the original hardware. Konami is a greedy corporation with the main goal how to make the most amount of money with the least effort.

SF Kosmo

Man, why? I've had amazing time with this game! Also OST is amazing if only quality was better.
I think it got judged generously because it was a launch title and the first Metroidvania in the series since SotN. But it looked like a recolored 8-bit game, very basic animation and tiny sprites and the level design was pretty sloppy. In fact you could sequence break it without even really knowing what you're doing by just brute forcing the sewer without protective gear as soon as you open up. You'll take a lot of damage but you can totally do it, and it's not even that hard.

Harmony of Dissonance was a step in the right direction but the fact that it uses the GBC chip.for music is an unforgivable sin. They hit their stride again with Aria.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I think it got judged generously because it was a launch title and the first Metroidvania in the series since SotN. But it looked like a recolored 8-bit game, very basic animation and tiny sprites and the level design was pretty sloppy. In fact you could sequence break it without even really knowing what you're doing by just brute forcing the sewer without protective gear as soon as you open up. You'll take a lot of damage but you can totally do it, and it's not even that hard.

Harmony of Dissonance was a step in the right direction but the fact that it uses the GBC chip.for music is an unforgivable sin. They hit their stride again with Aria.
I know it may be "worse" than next iterations but it has it's own charm, it's hand-made. It made before people realized whole "metroid-vania" pattern. I will gladly replay it if it gets remade.

Fake

Man, why? I've had amazing time with this game! Also OST is amazing if only quality was better.

Some OST are mix bag, others are great indeed, but the game in general is bad for me. Those card system are so stupid, not to mention the drop system around the card system. Bad sound effect and enemy die animation effect (just the same effect around all enemies, same sound effect, explosions,...) too are very low quality and the plot is almost inexistence.

Is overall a bad game.

HYDE

Banned
Besides Circle of Moon, all the advance games are great.
Wrong…replace that with Harmony of Dissonance.

Ranking after Sympimo:
1. Aria S
2. Dawn S
3. Order E
4. Circle M
5. Portrait R
6. Harmony D

I love them all!!

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Harmony was great and resembled SotN but the sound was so awful that it kind of ruined the game. Aria is better I think.

Fake

Harmony have his charm, but the animation is far better than the others. Sound effect is important too. Not to mention the alternative endings.

Circle is terrible in all those aspects.

Last edited:
Top Bottom