• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania DS?

SantaC

Does anyone know if Konami will show this game at TGS? This is the DS game I am most interested in. AoS was such an awesome game, and it's been 1.5 years(!) already since it was released.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I doubt it, given comments from the E3 unveiling, I don't think it was even being worked on back then.

Guess it depends how quickly the games get made.

crumbs

I bought a GBA for CotM (my eyeballs still have not forgiven me), so a good 2D Castlevania could motivate me to snag a DS.

3D, however, would shatter my fragile emotional state.

I doubt it will be. The CV gba series are probably easier to produce (hence the almost rapid stream of sequels (see: Capcom + battle network) and their team would probably be able to churn out/ reuse the art/sprites out faster than polymodelling/texturing... so I doubt a handheld cv sequel will be 3d. Unless they port LOI to PSP with maybe enhancements.

ferricide

not to mention the main reason IGA made the PS2 castlevania 3D was to meet expectations of mainstream users/konami marketing.

still, if he's gonna do a new 2D CV on handheld, i'd rather it be for PSP. luscious screen. better capabilities. it could be so hot.

oh, well. we'll get that eventually, i'm sure. i'll be happy with what i get, as long as it's at least as good as aria of sorrow.

Meh, 3D castlevania on the DS? Meh, I'd rather not see it personally. I doubt that's going to happen. I would expect a very slick looking 2D game though, I hope. I'm hope people can pull off some stunning 2D on the DS, well in comparison to the GBA which I've enjoyed.

Soul4ger

I liked Lament of Innocence, but I couldn't imagine a 3D Castlevania on a handheld. Would kill for a new, expanded one on a console, though.

And are people really interested in the PSP just because of the screen? Do we live in such a sad society?

Soul4ger said:
I liked Lament of Innocence, but I couldn't imagine a 3D Castlevania on a handheld. Would kill for a new, expanded one on a console, though.

And are people really interested in the PSP just because of the screen? Do we live in such a sad society?

I'm sure the graphics, power, and UMD storage play some part into it. But in all honesty, if it's 2D it's really not going to make a huge difference in presentation I think. Audio quality may be another story, depending on how they go about it. Basically, it would be easier to port SOTN its robust music and sound on the PSP rather than the DS. But as the GBA has shown us, we can still get an epic adventure without all the fancy tech.

ferricide

Soul4ger said:
what's sad about liking a handheld for having a big screen? o_O

i like seeing my games clearly!

Socreges said:
2D and not Metroidvania, please. Despite the fact that AoS was great.

I don't quite understand this thinking, why is being like Metroid a problem? I like it personally, not many games use the idea of equipment collection and reverting to past areas to unlock hidden items or areas or to even progress the story. Lately Metroid has been far too guidely from what I've witnessed, not as much as it used to be. Fusion, Zero Mission, and what I've played of Prime points out things too easily.

Anyways, it's a style of game that very few use. People don't seem to bitch about turn based RPGs, or RTS games quite as often as I see in Castlevania. I just don't quite understand the thinking behind it. Anyone care to explain?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
DarthWufei said:
I don't quite understand this thinking, why is being like Metroid a problem? I like it personally, not many games use the idea of equipment collection and reverting to past areas to unlock hidden items or areas or to even progress the story. Lately Metroid has been far too guidely from what I've witnessed, not as much as it used to be. Fusion, Zero Mission, and what I've played of Prime points out things too easily.

Anyways, it's a style of game that very few use. People don't seem to bitch about turn based RPGs, or RTS games quite as often as I see in Castlevania. I just don't quite understand the thinking behind it. Anyone care to explain?

IAWTP. Hopefully we'll get a 2D Metroid too. I'm sure Prime Hunters will be good, but the thing that makes GBA games so great is that they're old school. At the very least they could do a hybrid like that new Mario DS game, Gradius V or Contra:SS, but if that's the case, I would rather them put it on a console. I would rather have PS1 2D graphics or better on a handheld though. It seems like people stopped advancing 2D graphics. Is the hardware what limits it or is there only so much that you can do with 2D? If it's the former, i wonder why no ones tried to make a GPU that caters to 2D, especially on a handheld.

Socreges

Banned

Sure. I'd like to play a more linear, focused Castlevania where they would put a greater emphasis on enemy placement. It might also more easily permit creative level design. The castle design does nothing for me given that areas are often positioned inconsiderately and the exploration elements are simple to the point where I feel they are unnecessary.
People don't seem to bitch about turn based RPGs, or RTS games quite as often as I see in Castlevania.
So? People may complain about CV because its roots are as a traditional side-scroller. That's an alternative that some would prefer.

Socreges said:
So? People may complain about CV because its roots are as a traditional side-scroller. That's an alternative that some would prefer.

I see, but what about the ones who do enjoy the current titles and style?

Alucard

Banned
I don't care what it is, as long as it's good. I'm starved for more Castlevania.

And I really enjoyed Lament of Innocence. So...there. :)

Socreges said:
...uh, what about them?

Hehe nothing, forget about it. I'm not really sure if the castle bores me myself, I more or less don't notice it. At times I do find it tedious to go through areas and back track, but overall I enjoy the experience. I think mainly it's because I can move about happily fixated on the main progression I guess. But I do see what you mean as far as what you'd like, can't say I'd want it though.

jarrod said:
Castlevania 64x4.

Yes Jarrod, I can see konmai doing just that..not that Castlevania 64 was a bad game. With a bit more polish and and a bit more vairitey of enimies ( not the same ole skeleton or half spider woman over and over in a level), then Castlevaina 64 could turn out to be a fine game for the DS.

jarrod

Banned
sonic4ever said:
Yes Jarrod, I can see konmai doing just that..not that Castlevania 64 was a bad game. With a bit more polish and and a bit more vairitey of enimies ( not the same ole skeleton or half spider woman over and over in a level), then Castlevaina 64 could turn out to be a fine game for the DS.
Well, it'd have better level design than Lament of Innocence. :p

Iga hates the N64 Castlevanias though, so I truthfully sorta doubt it'd happen. A Symphony of the Night port is more likely actually, though I'd really like a Rondo of Blood Chronicles remake. :)

Soul4ger

DarthWufei said:
I'm sure the graphics, power, and UMD storage play some part into it. But in all honesty, if it's 2D it's really not going to make a huge difference in presentation I think. Audio quality may be another story, depending on how they go about it. Basically, it would be easier to port SOTN its robust music and sound on the PSP rather than the DS. But as the GBA has shown us, we can still get an epic adventure without all the fancy tech.

Yeah, but that's ignoring all the other (possible, to be fair) problems at this point which kinda negate the point of a large screen or high specs.

And I've never once had a problem seeing a game on my GBA SP. If you are, I don't think the PSP's widescreen will help you; you might need (better) glasses.

Soul4ger said:
Yeah, but that's ignoring all the other (possible, to be fair) problems at this point which kinda negate the point of a large screen or high specs.

And I've never once had a problem seeing a game on my GBA SP. If you are, I don't think the PSP's widescreen will help you; you might need (better) glasses.

Hey, you said it I didn't. :p

But I do need to go and get glasses. I have trouble playing any handheld game late at night.

SantaC

The latest castlevania games is not THAT equal to the metroid games. Hit points, magic points, spells and equipment are not present in Metroid. Different equipment are somewhat present, but not as the sotn type of cv games.

Socreges

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
The latest castlevania games is not THAT equal to the metroid games. Hit points, magic points, spells and equipment are not present in Metroid. Will different equipment are somewhat present, but not as the sotn type of cv games.
How equal? In that they share the same design? No. In that they share similar layouts and way of progression? Yes. And that's all that we've been discussing.

SantaC

Socreges said:
How equal? In that they share the same design? No. In that they share similar layouts and way of progression? Yes. And that's all that we've been discussing.

I still see Metroid and CV as different type of games.

Top Bottom