• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls TGS 2019 trailer (Mobile Exclusive)

Furozen

2749273-8977035082-a0QZw.gif

Starhowl

Probably a blatant lie that there'd be a "story".
I suspect there are gonna be random-generated "castles" with items to buy for real-life money, therefore destroying immersion, the foundation of aforementioned "story". No to mention the repetitiveness, which inherently blocks an opportunity to create a captivating story, as repetition kills the element of surprise, another foundation of aforementioned "story".

Honestly, by this point it feels like Konami is trying to personally piss me off, yes me specifically.

Here I was feeling nostalgic for Castlevania ever since Bloodstained and now look at this shit, it's like a cruel joke.

What did I ever do to them to piss Konami off so much?

Last edited:

Tygeezy

The game looks good, and it has coop play. Mobile gaming is looked down upon here, but there are some fantastic mobile games that control surprisingly well on mobile.

Pubg mobile in my opinion controls better on a phone than console shooters because it has gryo aim and you can do very quick 180 degree turns with the touch screen. Add in apples 3d touch and you don't even need to press a digital button. You just press harder on the screen and it fires. It's quite brilliant actually and embarrassing that a phone controls shooting games better than a console because of their refusal to embrace Gyro like Nintendo has and mobile games have.

Caffeine

putting a background and some platforms on the screen yikes. i think they need to go back and replay that collection they just released.

Bigrx1

Banned
I played it for a few days since it soft launched in Canada already - the gameplay is not bad, kind of fun actually. The character art, story and graphics are all pretty bad in my opinion. It is pretty typical mobile rpg formula (multiple small stages 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, with one to three stars worth of challenges to complete in each for loot drops).

The killer for me is that there are 3, yes THREE completely separate gachas in this game. One for weapons, one for sub-weapons and one for armor. And, it's also set up so that you will need sets of weapons and armor in all of the element types, so that increases your need to pull even more. AND, many weapons are character locked, so if you want to play as Charlotte but pull a 5-star whip, well, then you are either playing as Simon or pulling more on the gacha. AND THEN AGAIN, like I said, even if you pull Charlotte's weapon, you need to pull 6 elemental verions eventually to really be effective and to cover all elements.

I do like some mobile games (Another Eden) but this is an easy pass for me, just seems like a sad cash grab.

Konami, you first changed your logo, and a few years later you died. Somewhere this imposter with same name surfaced around 2014-2015 and no one noticed. This new Konami should die as well. While I'll lay flowers on your grave Konami (1969-2014), the other Konami's gravestone would be unvisited for eternity.

Sincerely 👎

jufonuk

not tag worthy
looking at that new contra game, yeah it sure looks like they are. does konami even remember what video games are?
Yeah nintendolife gave the new contra 4/10, I seem to share the same opinions with them gaming wise. So I trust that the game is garbage. Ffs Konami in the 90’s Were one of the best ever. Now look at them

MiguelItUp

It's hilarious to me. I mean, why are they even bothering? You decided to stop making games for awhile, stick to pachinko, then all of a sudden you're like, "Just kidding guys, we're still here!" But you release garbage? What are you doing? Lmao.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It's hilarious to me. I mean, why are they even bothering? You decided to stop making games for awhile, stick to pachinko, then all of a sudden you're like, "Just kidding guys, we're still here!" But you release garbage? What are you doing? Lmao.

Yeah, and they are release cheap games... with lowest buget and the worst thing with all monetary things... i mean if they made a low buget at least make a 2D excellent game like SNES or Playstation 2D style art, but no! Its like the new Contra is Horrible art style cheap, dont even bother to make like Contra III from SNES sprites.

More Quality in their games Konami... and Stop release YU-GI-OH Games.

sol_bad

Just to confirm, is GATCHA where you spin a roulette wheel or open a loot box for random items? Or something to that affect?

Just to confirm, is GATCHA where you spin a roulette wheel or open a loot box for random items? Or something to that affect?
yes, gacha is basically a lottery. The lineup gets updated on a regular basis.

I have been playing this for a few days. The gameplay is actually decent enough that I wish it is not mobile title. There are 2 main flaws I see currently:
1) there are 3 separate gachas: one for main weapons, sub weapons, and armor, so it can be quite easy to burn through all the gems if you chase for an item for a certain character. Because all the characters can only use certain weapons (eg: alucard can't use whip), so it's likely you'll get something for a character you don't have yet.
2) Leveling up each character will be a grind. They have their own exp bar so they'll only gain exp if you use him/her. Once you clear a stage the first time, the exp you earn for replaying the same stage get reduced dramatically. Basically, it's designed as a stamina sink.

Bigrx1

Banned
yes, gacha is basically a lottery. The lineup gets updated on a regular basis.

I have been playing this for a few days. The gameplay is actually decent enough that I wish it is not mobile title. There are 2 main flaws I see currently:
1) there are 3 separate gachas: one for main weapons, sub weapons, and armor, so it can be quite easy to burn through all the gems if you chase for an item for a certain character. Because all the characters can only use certain weapons (eg: alucard can't use whip), so it's likely you'll get something for a character you don't have yet.
2) Leveling up each character will be a grind. They have their own exp bar so they'll only gain exp if you use him/her. Once you clear a stage the first time, the exp you earn for replaying the same stage get reduced dramatically. Basically, it's designed as a stamina sink.

What's even worse than just 3 different gachas (which is bad enough) is that the element thing makes it so you will likely need weapons of each element also. So even then, it's not just enough to pull a 5 star for the character you want, but you'll likely need multiple ones to cover the element types. It was like this for FF Record Keeper too

Top Bottom