• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Judgment (Wii) E3 Hands-On

Booser

Looks fun in a pick up and play kinda way. I have doubts about how long it will last however, but I'm happy enough with a new Castlevania game. Revisiting alot of old characters (I hope Cornell can transform into a werewolf during battle - one of the pics seems to show this) and locations should be fun.

Perdew

Looks a lot quicker than I expected. I'm also not put off by the rape of the Castlevania designs because frankly, I don't care! Hell, I'll buy it!

Wow. . .I really like the vid!

Looks like it plays like Power Stone 1 (before the crappy top-down cam in PS2).

IG said that all he wanted to do was make a fun CV game for Wii and Im pretty happy that he did. I wish more fighters were just plain old fun (like afew good anime fighters and SSB/ Power Stone) and didn't try to be "brake my ballz with complexity!!" like SC (only reason Im interested in SC4 is the "make your own character mode". Got to get that once I get a 360).

Looks fun, I was RIGHT for not bashing it! :D

dacuk

Stormbringer said:
Well in this particular preview, he sounds, at some point, more like a genuinely bitter Castlevania fan than an basic anti-Wii to me...

I can't wait to read his comments on the Castlevania movie....

NEO Frog

Banned
This actually looks pretty sweet! I hope it has unlockables like Symphony of the Night! I'd also like it if they put these up on VC...

Bloodlines (Genesis)
Dracula-X (PC-Engine, it's out in Japan now)
III (NES)

If they ever add Gameboy to the VC, then they should add Legend 1,2,3 also!

Black-Wind said:
Wow. . .I really like the vid!

Looks like it plays like Power Stone 1 (before the crappy top-down cam in PS2).

IG said that all he wanted to do was make a fun CV game for Wii and Im pretty happy that he did. I wish more fighters were just plain old fun (like afew good anime fighters and SSB/ Power Stone) and didn't try to be "brake my ballz with complexity!!" like SC (only reason Im interested in SC4 is the "make your own character mode". Got to get that once I get a 360).

Looks fun, I was RIGHT for not bashing it! :D

Yep, the video confirms what I thought since that Nintendo Power info was released: that all of this uniquely-Castlevania stuff (the fact that it looks kind of like a 3D Castlevania experience that just so happens to be a versus-brawler) looked like it would lead to a fun, unique title. Things appear to be turning out that way.

TreIII

NeonZ said:
Cornell supposedly was too, but he's in this game...

Actually, the "official" word from IGA himself (in a Nintendo Power article that he basically wrote about the various CV games), CV64/LoD and COTM are now officially "Gaiden" (side-stories).

That basically means that the events of those games happen, but since the stories are so largely "self-concentrated", the events of those games don't impact the overall events of the timeline one way or the other (it's not like the "100 years resurrection" rule for Drac hasn't been broken before, after all). In other words, they're now the "Major's Mask" and "Link's Awakening" of the CV-verse. Again, this only applies if you really care/follow the time line at all. :lol

Any way, the only game that's been completely retconned is Legends, due to both IGA hating that game, as well as Lament of Innocence taking precedence over it. As much as I like the character of Sonia, I will admit that the game DID suck. :lol

Now...back on topic...I'm liking what I'm seeing. It definitely does look more Power Stone meets Naruto GNT/Clash of Ninja than any thing else. All I would hope is that traditional controller schemes are in there. You can have the waggle stuff for casuals, but I want just GC/CC controls, plz.

TreIII

Camera is one thing (which I hope they'll patch up for the final build).

But the voices, as of right now, are just place-holders.

For instance, Simon is using the EXACT same voice files that Richter used in Rondo PSP. Right down to the "I'm a Belmont, it's my job" line. :lol Alucard also uses a number of the Lowenthal files from the SOTN remake.

This practice isn't all that new. Even Zelda:TP used OoT files (with Nobuyuki Hiyama-Link), before switching to the ones that TP eventually stuck with.

NEO Frog said:

How did this ever get green-lit??

Does a publisher really want to have it's developer go out and defend the existence of a game before it's even released??

Don't they usually want people to be excited at the announcement of a game instead of a choir of growns?

Soul Calibur Legends at least sounded like a great idea on paper, it was only faulted by lousy and rushed execution.

It's not like this gets better with showing it either. The game appears clunky (camera and movement-wise) and looks like a drag-queen fight in Transylvania.

Konami would be wise to let this one quietly go away and let Iga just focus on the handheld market. He obviously is incapable of delivering anything of competency on consoles.

Cipherr

Well it looks good, but the "waggle to attack" stuff I read in previews REALLY has a "do not want" effect on me. We shall see.

jrricky

Banned
happyfunball said:
How did this ever get green-lit??

Does a publisher really want to have it's developer go out and defend the existence of a game before it's even released??

Don't they usually want people to be excited at the announcement of a game instead of a choir of growns?

Soul Calibur Legends at least sounded like a great idea on paper, it was only faulted by lousy and rushed execution.

It's not like this gets better with showing it either. The game appears clunky (camera and movement-wise) and looks like a drag-queen fight in Transylvania.

Konami would be wise to let this one quietly go away and let Iga just focus on the handheld market. He obviously is incapable of delivering anything of competency on consoles.
um, that looks great and I am happy they did it so, there, it was greenlit for a reason. Plus this is just the E3 build, they have plenty of time to spruce it up.

jrricky

Banned
TunaLover said:
It looks like a B quality fighter, the music was so cheap, the animation is awful =S

I pass
how is the animation awful? The camera definitely needs to be fixed though.

vareon

Just saw the trailer. Graphic and the fast-paced gameplay is ok for me. But "waggle to attack" is worrying.

Siyou

even as a castlevania fan, im not too entirely sure if i like this or not =/ i see massive combos leaving the opponent unable to make a move... on top of it, is it even possible to dodge the super attacks, which are seen in EVERY video more than once? -_- gah..... they need to do what they did with mega man 9

TunaLover said:
It looks like a B quality fighter, the music was so cheap, the animation is awful =S

I pass
. . . Whats bad about a "B rate" fighter?

If anything I see that as a good thing. . . one below A.

Anyway, the cam needs work unleast both peoples agree not to bloke the cam.

Looks like Power Stone which is why I think it looks soo fun (wouldn't call Power Stone an A rate fighter either (^_-),; ).

And I can see why IG calls this a "3D actions vs game".

M74

Waggle controls aren't direction sensitive, so basic combat is reduced to nothing more than flapping your arms like an idiot.

It's really not that hard to program directional attacks. Combine it with a high/mid/low system of damage contact, and you'd create a very simple, yet effective, additional layer to the combat mechanics.

It's just... so... easy.

NEO Frog said:
This actually looks pretty sweet! I hope it has unlockables like Symphony of the Night! I'd also like it if they put these up on VC...

Bloodlines (Genesis)
Dracula-X (PC-Engine, it's out in Japan now)
III (NES)

Amen bruddah! Especially the Japanese version of the latter if at all possible.

Played it. Is there such a phrase as "waggle-mashing"? Just waggle around the wii-mote and you will own. Graphics are pretty good though. Simon's 99 hit combo is ridiculous, as is Maria's 45 sec video lead in to her special. Gaf will hate this game.

vareon

So, trailers and impressions reveal that this game is a happy waggle fest?

It might be my guilty pleasure to play and enjoy such game, but yes, GAF will hate it.

To those who played : Have you played Bleach Wii? How is this compared to Bleach?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
happyfunball said:

I'd kill for a Rocky Horror fighter.

I think that people are forgeting that this game aint trying to be like SC or TK.

Maybe "wiggy fest" would matter to me if it were some SC like game but it's more like Power Stone which I liked not because of complex controls (it was pretty simply last I played) but because of the gameplay.

Even IG is trying his best not to make this seem like some attemp at some SC-ish fighting game:lol

And didn't they say that there was directional motion based attacks in the IGN interview? I mean, one vid showed a guy that had no clue as to how to bloke/ side step and he thought be didn't do anything. . .

CTLance

The footage I've seen is not exactly awe-inspiring. On the other hand, it seems to already have exceeded my (low) expectations, so I'm looking foward to more pleasant surprises.

Maria looks like an annoying character, though. That surround-attack with the firey staff in the developer snippet is just all kinds of bothersome. Covers a huge area, hits everything around her, and seems to have little to no cooldown. Grade A cheese.

Since it'll be released pretty soonish I don't really have high hopes, to be quite honest. If they manage to polish it some more it could be a really neat brawler, though. The price-to-polish ratio will make or break this one IMHO.

<Obligatory "still puzzled about brawler-instead-of-traditional-2D-Castlevania" comment goes here>
Andrex said:
I'd kill for a Rocky Horror fighter.
You and me both, Andrex. You and me both.

NeonZ

M74 said:
Waggle controls aren't direction sensitive, so basic combat is reduced to nothing more than flapping your arms like an idiot.

Waggle isn't direction sensitive? So, currently the characters only have 2 normal attacks? Wow. I had liked the videos, but that makes the game seem worse than SCL...

Official Trailer + Demo of the game by IGA, from the Konami conference :

http://www.gamekyo.com/video12320_castlevania-judgement-presentation-en-video.html

Run down of the controls :

- Z : blocking
- c : jumping
- Shake the nunchuk + direction on the stick : dodging
- A + waggle : normal attack (attacks differently depending on the character's movements)
- B + waggle : strong attack (same as above)
- A : subweapon
- held down A : Special subweapon attack
- A + B : grab an object on the arena (any object can be used in ways specific to each character)
- Full special gauge + down on the directional pad : Uber-attack (which is triggered only if you manage to make your "triggering attack" to get in contact with your opponent).

NEO Frog

Banned
I hope these ideas make it into the game!!! Post any that you think would be cool. Especially Arenas!!!

Characters...
Grim Reaper
Richter Belmont
Sypha Blades
Medusa
Trever Belmont
Cerebus
Cloaked Sorcerer(Dracula X, so there would be another spellcaster)

Stages...
Water Cavern
Outside High Up with Castle Stairs (ya know...those levels right before you get to the throne to fight Dracula)
Clock Tower
Library
Courtyard
Dungeon
Garden

NPCs that attack...
Hunchbacks
Skeletons(White/Red)
Medusa Heads
Bone Dragons
Water Demons
Knights

Unlockables...
Symphony of the Night
--------------------
Confirmed...

Characters...

Dracula
Alucard
Maria
Simon

Arenas...
Grave Yard
Throne Room

Dascu

The confirmed (from the Nitendo Power and 1up previews) characters so far are:

Simon Belmont
Dracula
Maria Renard
Alucard
Shanoa (Order of Ecclesia)
Death
Carmilla/Camilia (Rondo and CotM)
Cornell (CV64:LoD)
Trevor Belmont (CV3)
Sypha Belnades (CV3)
Grant Danasti (CV3)

...out of a max 14.

So that leaves 3 other characters. I'm guessing Soma Cruz (AoS/DoS), Richter Belmont (Rondo, Drac X, SotN) and maybe another villain character like the Werewolf.
Of course, there might still be some hidden characters to unlock and (hopefully) some non-playable enemy boss characters.

Stormbringer said:
Demo of the game by IGA, from the Konami conference :

http://www.gamekyo.com/video12320_castlevania-judgement-presentation-en-video.html

Run down of the controls :

- Z : blocking
- c : jumping
- Shake the nunchuk + direction on the stick : dodging
- A + waggle : normal attack (different offensive moves are executed depending on the character's movements)
- B + waggle : strong attack (same as above)
- A : subweapon
- held down A : Special subweapon attack
- A + B : grab an object on the arena (any object can be used in ways specific to each character)
- Full special gauge + down on the directional pad : Uber-attack (which is triggered only if you manage to make your "triggering attack" to get in contact with your opponent).
So for attacks you can. . .
Use Subweapons.
Pick up items to throw.
"Different" normal attacks.
"Different" S-Attacks.
S Subweapon attack.
A final smash attack.

Interesting, I wonder how you do these different normal and S. attacks?

Top Bottom