• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow announced for PS3/X360. 3D reboot of classic CV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Konami conference:

3:38 In-game engine looks GREAT
3:38 God of War style action with a whip.
3:38 Very large Ice enemy.
3:39 I wish you guys were seeing this.

Looks like a collaboration between Kojima Productions and MercuryStream (Spanish studio). Release Date 2010.

I'm hyped. Waiting for the trailer now...

TRAILER! http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/e3_2009/castlevania/

HD trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-castlevania-lords/50687

youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoBXS1kXpkE -thanks alr1ghtstart

2usxvmx.jpg

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
6210520_blog006.jpg

6210520_blog007.jpg

6210520_blog008.jpg

(3:43:55 PM): Kojima says they looked at a global audience when deciding to go in a new direction for Castlevania. Apparently Konami believes the world demands bloodthirsty action with men that wield crucifix-whips. Cruciwhips?

LRB1983

Banned
Devoloped by Mercury Steam, Produced by Dave Cox (Konami Europe) with Kojima involved on it.

Dave Cox is back up. "Forget what you know about Castlevania - this is what a next-gen Castlevania game should be." -- Worldwide release on PS3 / Xbox360 in 2010.

abstract alien said:
Open world action game? What the hell is that...like GoW or DMC in a large area like gta?
Open world makes it sound like GTA. Hopefully it'll be closer to Zelda than that, though.

I prefer linear games.

Teknoman

G4 says they are recording the conference for later.

Also what happened to that old Castlevania HD trailer that was shown at last years E3?

Sounds like the breathe of fresh air the franchise has desperately been in need of. I just hope there is a fair amount of platforming in there and it's not a straight up God of War/DMC clone. The combat in the IGA 3d Vanias wasn't busted by any means. The problem was it got boring taking out endless wave of enemy after enemy with no set pieces to break up the action.

jett

D-Member
Himuro said:
Yes, the one thing I've always wanted from 3d Castlevania was for it to be open-world.

Castlevania 2 was one of the first open-world games ever. Now go sit in the corner.

Lince

Banned
two years ago I read in my college newspaper that some Spanish studio had agreed with Konami the project of a 3D Castlevania for the next-gen of consoles, I thought of posting on GAF but then I was come on, Spaniards? Castlevania next-gen? :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
On the one hand, I don't know if I can trust a shitty studio that this project was outsourced to.
On the other hand, you almost can't do worse than Iga's 3D console games.

Do we know if Michiru Yamane is doing the music, at least?

Cheerilee

Tron 2.0 said:
Wasn't there another PS3/360 Castlevania game announced about a year ago? Does this mean that's cancelled?
That one was being made by Iga. This one is being made by Kojima.

Previous to the E3, only Iga had the power to approve or cancel a Castlevania game, but we don't know yet if anything about that has changed behind the scenes.

jett

D-Member
Lince said:
two years ago I read in my college newspaper that some Spanish studio had agreed with Konami the project of a 3D Castlevania for the next-gen of consoles, I thought of posting on GAF but then I was come on, Spaniards? Castlevania next-gen? :lol

You missed your chance for a legendary thread bump.

fortified_concept said:
And that's why I'm excited. The franchise was getting old and stale, it needs something new.

I don't know about that, I think it just needed a new game that did everything right. I really wish they would do a really artistic/gothic 3D game similar to SotN with Michiru Yamane music and good gameplay. I like the RPG elements and hidden stuff. I like enemies dropping various awesome weapons. SotN had a lot of replayability.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
How many more crap 3d titles was IGA gonna make? Give us HD 2D on PSN/LIVE son!

Kojipro involvement is promising though.

Tron 2.0

ruby_onix said:
That one was being made by Iga. This one is being made by Kojima.

Previous to the E3, only Iga had the power to approve or cancel a Castlevania game, but we don't know yet if anything about that has changed behind the scenes.
Yes, but is Iga's project still in progress or has it been cancelled? That's what I'm wondering.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Iga hater-haters are the only thing more annoying than Iga. His 3D games are execrable. He deserves all the hate he gets for those. Hooray for development of a 3D game being wrested away from his shitty little paws. There was a 3D Castlevania announced by IGA at TGS. Did anyone really want that game?

Even though MecurySteam has a poor track record, I hope they get the assistance they need from Konami to make a quality game.

Tron 2.0

Y2Kev said:
Iga hater-haters are the only thing more annoying than Iga. His 3D games are execrable. He deserves all the hate he gets for those. Hooray for development of a 3D game being wrested away from his shitty little paws. There was a 3D Castlevania announced by IGA at TGS. Did anyone really want that game?
Well, no.

GQman2121

Banned
Horseback riding has to some how makes it's way into this game. Whipping shit while traveling on a horse in an open world just sounds like too much fun.

Epcott

MS worked on Jericho?

:( x 1000

I hope Kojima steps in from time to time to make sure the "suck" is left out of this.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Epcott said:
Hmmm, MercuryStream,

...what else have they worked on prior to this?
Not much, BUT IT HAS KOJIMA. So Castlevania is now on the A-list!!

Seriously, people need to stop getting so excited and talking like this is going to be a 9+ game. At least wait until we see gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom