• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow announced for PS3/X360. 3D reboot of classic CV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siyou

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think you meant "the arcade game was paid more homage", which would imply that the Xbox game paid more homage to the arcade game than the console games, but you said "the arcade game paid more homage", which would imply that the arcade game paid more homage to the console games than the Xbox version did. There's your misunderstanding. Be careful with passive constructs.
have you played ninja gaiden on the xbox?

NeoUltima

StuBurns said:
I never get why people even announce that kind of thing.

Fixed Camera is cool, if GoW can nail it, so can these boys I'm sure.
Wasn't really "announced". Someone asked him and he gave an answer. He says both versions will be 'identical'. Just a bit of good new imo, cause it means both versions will probably be identical like he says.

NeoUltima

StuBurns said:
You have a very strange definition of the word announced.
I suppose I do. I don't consider something an announcement unless it is official or made known to the masses. I suppose technically he did announce it but w/e. Different interpretations of the word.

StuBurns said:

Fixed Camera is cool, if GoW can nail it, so can these boys I'm sure.

Because it will probably mean the PS3 version wont run like a turd compared to the Xbox version.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
StuBurns said:

so what is your take on that ? why you don't want developers to tell us which system is the lead one for their games anymore?

I think it's just piece of information and many devs do it all the times , also maybe they just want to say to PS3 owners that it won't be a gimped version , anyway I don't see the harm here.

StuBurns

Banned
Totobeni said:
so what is your take on that ? why you don't want developers to tell us which system is the lead one for their games anymore?
I never said I didn't want to know. Nor that they shouldn't say. Developers just typically don't I think. I don't care either way.

StuBurns

Banned
Philanthropist said:
Hearing that we won't have another Bayonetta case is good news indeed.
At this point Bayonetta is an anomaly. Maybe a couple of years ago the gulf would be larger generally, but now it's pretty much texture quality, and that's about it.

wRATH2x

Banned
I just popped in to say that Devil May Cry 1 seems like the perfect 3D Castlevania, I always wondered why we didn't see a Castlevania game in that vein.

StuBurns said:
At this point Bayonetta is an anomaly. Maybe a couple of years ago the gulf would be larger generally, but now it's pretty much texture quality, and that's about it.
Yeah I love it how people can call the PS3 version of a multiplat "gimped" when the differences are negligible these days. I don't think consoles have been this close on multiplats since Genesis vs. SNES. Sure we have the occasional Bayonetta, but that really is a rarity these days. Anyways, glad to hear Mercury Steam has gone with PS3 as the lead. LOS is in my top 5 most anticipated for the year. Can't wait to see more.

I do like the idea of the fixed camera simply because of how it turned out for the first Devil May Cry. I know it will bother some people, but if it's done properly it'll do a lot for the feeling of the game.

StuBurns said:

Sure that Bayonetta is a painful exception, but I really like the genre on PS3 and it being the lead platform, with Kojima's supervision, can only mean it'll be a polished product and that it'll have no shortcomings. At least certainly not in the league of Bayonetta's port.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Wrath2X said:
I just popped in to say that Devil May Cry 1 seems like the perfect 3D Castlevania, I always wondered why we didn't see a Castlevania game in that vein.

Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness were like that , but Iga fans hated both of them.

StuBurns

Banned
Philanthropist said:
Sure that Bayonetta is a painful exception, but I really like the genre on PS3 and it being the lead platform, with Kojima's supervision, can only mean it'll be a polished product and that it'll have no shortcomings. At least certainly not in the league of Bayonetta's port.
It's reassuring as a PS3-only gamer sure, I was never criticizing the news or the choice of lead SKUs, I just thought it was unusual for them to come out and say it, because most developers tend not to.

As for polish, I'm sure it'll be a tight product, although how much that has to do with Kojima I have no idea, I was under the impression it was more a Quentin Tarantino Presents Hero kind of thing.

duckroll

Totobeni said:
Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness were like that , but Iga fans hated both of them.

This is an outright lie. The only things the games share in common with Devil May Cry, is that they are third person 3D action games. The level design (or lack thereof), actual gameplay, and design philosophy is completely different.

Oneself

IMO, Soul Reaver / Darksiders are the closest 3D rendition of a Metroidvania.
God of War reminded me of Castlevania sometimes as well.

BTW, Good to see that the PS3 version won't be a shitty port.

wRATH2x

Banned
duckroll said:
This is an outright lie. The only things the games share in common with Devil May Cry, is that they are third person 3D action games. The level design (or lack thereof), actual gameplay, and design philosophy is completely different.
I'm glad thats all cleared up.

I repeat, why wasn't there any Castlevania games that were in the same vein as Devil May Cry.

Because Iga has no fucking clue when it comes to 3d, and can only tread water with 2d these days, thats why, and thats also why the next big Castlevania game has been completely outsourced to Mercury Steam here :p

Wrath2X said:
I'm glad thats all cleared up.

I repeat, why wasn't there any Castlevania games that were in the same vein as Devil May Cry.

Because Nanobreaker was terrible, so Konami decided not let Iga attempt something like that ever again...

DevilWillcry said:
Yeah I love it how people can call the PS3 version of a multiplat "gimped" when the differences are negligible these days. I don't think consoles have been this close on multiplats since Genesis vs. SNES. Sure we have the occasional Bayonetta, but that really is a rarity these days. Anyways, glad to hear Mercury Steam has gone with PS3 as the lead. LOS is in my top 5 most anticipated for the year. Can't wait to see more.

what really pisses me off is that bayonetta ps3 is (most likely, just like dmc4 - although that wasn't a shitty port) gonna outsell bayonetta 360. it's such a shitty port and they're gonna get away with it. ugh.

but i digress, i'm in the same boat as you, really looking forward to this particular castlevania in 3d. never played any of the crappy ones (n64 and ps2 ones) but this one seems to be shaping up nicely.
and i really like that kojima is somehow involved :D

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I hope we see more of the game soon, maybe in Game Informer?

jett

D-Member
IGA doesn't have a clue about 2D or 3D gaming as far as I'm concerned. He has been redoing a game directed by someone else for over a decade.

jett said:
IGA doesn't have a clue about 2D or 3D gaming as far as I'm concerned. He has been redoing a game directed by someone else for over a decade.
Come on, no one can beat him though when it comes to being a misogynist prick who doesn't want to acknowledge the work of other people.

28s1mf.png

jabipun

Totobeni said:

You're fucking delusional if you think Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness were like DMC.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Totobeni said:
Maybe LoI, but CoD was more like Zelda. It was very much an adventure game, but it seems people were looking for something else. I thought they did a good job with it though.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
kazuma_pt said:
what really pisses me off is that bayonetta ps3 is (most likely, just like dmc4 - although that wasn't a shitty port) gonna outsell bayonetta 360. it's such a shitty port and they're gonna get away with it. ugh.

but i digress, i'm in the same boat as you, really looking forward to this particular castlevania in 3d. never played any of the crappy ones (n64 and ps2 ones) but this one seems to be shaping up nicely.
and i really like that kojima is somehow involved :D
I guess different people have different tastes, but at the time I didn't think any of the 3D 'Vanias were bad, they just haven't aged well. They were all solid 7.5 - 8 easily though. Actually if they could take the mix elements of CoD & LoD and make it into one game, you would have a very good adventure title.

TreIII

Prime Blue said:
Come on, no one can beat him though when it comes to being a misogynist prick who doesn't want to acknowledge the work of other people.

24xoydv.png

To be fair, Legends wasn't that good of a game. :lol

But you're right, overall!

jett said:

Redoing the game style, perhaps, but that's it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
StuBurns said:

I dunno, I thought so too before a couple of months ago I fucking wasted 40Euros gifting my brother the PS3 version of Ghostbusters. We were lucky to get a trade in for almost the same price, and I got the X360 version last week (game's disappointing anyway, we went under so much unwarranted trouble to play this game) but fuck that shouldn't even happen anymore stat, so it doesn't seem to be just an "anomaly"... yet.

Back on track:
My interest is there just thanks to KP, I'm curious to see how the Studio will handle the franchise and I welcome the series' legacy reboot (keep the oldies for 2D CV, which I love dearly). I've never fancied the idea of 3D CV, let alone an open world one, but I'm ready to be surprised! Hopefully it'll bring something new to the genre, to me God of War & Co are already gettin' stale... and it took an action adventure to give melee combat engines a breath of fresh air (Batman).

@danorganplayer There is lots of platforming - climbing, jumping, using the combat cross to swing, grip, rappel and all sorts of stuff !!

http://twitter.com/CastlevaniaLOS/status/8106466998

@danorganplayer around 15 hours for an average player

http://twitter.com/CastlevaniaLOS/status/8106491907

@HenroidT Sorry but Yamane san has left Konami :( We are using a new composer from Spain called Oscar Araujo on this project.

http://twitter.com/CastlevaniaLOS/status/7954470146

Gomu Gomu

Sounds good. I'm most excited about the music. I remember reading there will be a lot of orchestral rearrangements of classic themes.

Peff

Oscar Araujo? Interesting. Amane will be missed but at least they chose someone with some experience in videogames.

Weird exodus of composers in Japan lately: Hamauzu, Nakano, Amane, Yamaoka...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom