• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow collection spotted, includes Mirror of Fate HD

It was previously teased that a MoF HD version could be made just a bit before the release of MoF for the 3DS by David Cox so I guess this isn't too unbelievable.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/15/cas...ollection-spotted-includes-mirror-of-fate-hd/

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2′s release could tie-in to the launch of an all-encompassing collection according to a retail listing unearthed online. The bundle is said to include an HD re-release of 3DS romp Mirror of Fate.

Play-Asia has listed the bundle for PS3 and Xbox 360, and the product descriptor reads, “The history of the Lords of Shadow collection is a story that will keep you playing “for just a few more hours”. This is the complete collection with all the DLC, all as an HD Port of the Nintendo 3DS game available on your PS3 and 360!

“Castlevania is definitely known for the 2D Metroid-style, but these games progress past that format in true Castlevania adventure – with plenty of vampires.”

Included games are apparently as follows:

• Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1
  • Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1 DLC 1 – Reverie
  • Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1 DLC 2 – Resurrection
  • Castlevania Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate HD
  • Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 Exclusive Demo

We’ve contacted Konami for confirmation. In the meantime, treat his as a place-holder retail listing.

Hope we'll be able to grab Mirror of Fate HD on the PC as well. Shame we'll likely lose the amazing 3D effects but that framerate really was unacceptable.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Is it really a collection if its just Lords of Shadow 1 + DLC? Sounds like a special/GOTY edition instead.

And people happy about Mirror of Fate HD are people who haven't played Mirror of Fate.

linko9

Sort of weird that they don't just wait for the sequel to be out for a while to include it and have it be a true collection, but whatever. I might try it out when it gets cheap, though from what I hear neither game is really for me.

Mirror of Fate has a lot of problems. And to be honest, framerate was the least of them.

I really wished they made another Metroidvania, in 2D, instead of that game.

Bedlam

Nice, will buy the PSN/XBLA version since I already have LoS+DLCs.

Mirror of Fate has a lot of problems. And to be honest, framerate was the least of them.
Actually, many players and critics made it sound like the framerate was among its worst problems.

I really wished they made another Metroidvania, in 2D, instead of that game.
There we have it: "it's not a Metroidvania, therefore it's bad".

(I acknowledge that MoF's gameplay might be somewhat lacking but it's not a terrible game)

GoDLiKe

Just played the Mirrors of Fate demo and I didn't think it was as bad as some people say. Ok maybe the full game might not be great but the demo was enjoyable - minus the framerate.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Why make the collection before all the games are released? It's not much of a collection if it's just two out of three games.

Mirror of Fate was pretty fun. Better than getting another game that uses SNES sprites and copy paste hallways. Bu…but the Battle of 1999, man!!1!

Nice, will buy the PSN/XBLA version since I already have LoS+DLCs.

Actually, many players and critics made it sound like the framerate was among its worst problems.

There we have it: "it's not a Metroidvania, therefore it's bad".

(I acknowledge that MoF's gameplay might be somewhat lacking but it's not a terrible game)

Nah, I kinda enjoyed this game. Not a bad game, but not a great game either. That's why I'm kinda disappointed, because framerate ended up the least problem of this title IMO.

Glass Rebel

Some of the design in this game was just awful. I found the bosses kinda fun and old schooly, but shit....

It's of very... questionable quality and the longer I thought about it, the more I hated it.

That said, I might buy it if it comes to PC (and is heavily discounted) just to hear Robb Stark again.

The 3DS demo was garbage so I never got MOF on the 3DS, and a HD remake of a crap game doesn't interest me unless they've done more then pretty it up.

Bleep

I'm a huge fan of both classic action platforming Castlevania and the more open exploration style of the later games, while finding Lords of Shadow to be an enjoyable, though not particularly notable, 3d action game. I was really disappointed with how Mirror of Fate transferred 3d game design to the 2d plane. Concessions and design ideas that developers use in 3d games just didn't feel right to me when transfered into 2d. The platforming was very straight forward with rigid grappling points and very basic and plain level design. Standard style QTEs are always dreadful and unnecessary, I found them to be a step back from the less intrusive timing prompts in Lords of Shadow. Interrupting the game with short cinemas was annoying and just seems weird when the game doesn't have the spectacle (or distraction...) of a HD 3d exploration game. It was just in general very strange for me to see a 2d game that lacked designing for the precision available when you are only considering two dimensions of control. A HD version, particularly on PC, might make me give this game another chance, but I can't help thinking that this game will be lacking regardless of how much they improve performance and image quality.

I didn't find MoF that bad, sure it's a pretty unremarkable and flawed game but for whatever reason I never felt like I wasn't enjoying myself.
Of course if you go comparing it to the likes of OoE then yeah it's going to look pretty damn bad but I guess I just adjusted my expectations.

Foffy

Banned
I skipped Mirror of Fate, so if this version has a tolerable framerate, I might be down to buy it. I hope for a PC release, if only because LoS1 and 2 will shine the highest on PC.

Top Bottom