• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow E3 Trailer

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Atmosphere and cutscenes in this seriously do look very impressive. Practically seems worth it for that alone. Gameplay and animation during gameplay don't look so hot or engaging however, reminds me more of Dante's Inferno than the game both of Dante and this are clearly copying.

So any downloadable versions of the trailer up yet or is it all still just streaming? And no don't say gametrailers as I don't register to pages just to download something.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
quick someone at konami show capcom how to make 3rd person action game engines on consoles.

or should i wait for PS3 gameplay videos before celebrating? :(
PS3 is the lead platform and the version running at E3.

Spike

Krev said:
PS3 is the lead platform and the version running at E3.

The 360 version is on the show floor too.

It would be interesting if someone at the show mentioned about any differences.

LowParry

canova said:
in this age of shooters, other genre fans can't be choosy, take what you can get

This is true. Not enough God of War clones. Not enough DMC clones. Shooters? More than I can count on both hands.

Didn't you guys hear? Everything is a GoW clone since GoW invented everything. Yup, PacMan is a GoW clone cause you use buttons to perform actions in PacMan and you use buttons to perform actions in GoW therefore Pacman is a GoW clone.

And GoW invented sex. I mean look at the evidence. There's sex in GoW so sex must have been invented by GoW.

And GoW killed the dinosaurs too.

True story :)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
CcrooK said:
This is true. Not enough God of War clones. Not enough DMC clones. Shooters? More than I can count on both hands.
The irony is that the closest thing to DMC at the show (Vanquish) is a shooter.

Maybe the first GoW styled hack 'n slash I'm going to purchase just because I love the style and atmosphere so much. I hope there are some Metroid Prime / Batman AA influence under all that monster slaying in terms of sense of place and exploration.

LowParry

Misterinenja said:
Maybe the first GoW styled hack 'n slash I'm going to purchase just because I love the style and atmosphere so much. I hope there are some Metroid Prime / Batman AA influence under all that monster slaying in terms of sense of place and exploration.

What we haven't really seen yet is any of the platforming area's of the game. Early impressions have given it the basics. Which is okay, depending on how basic they're going. I hope we have that exploration aspect that the previous Castlevania games had. Find that one item back at the one place that you could get to, but now can because of said item, etc.

Kittonwy

Banned
Zenith said:
49183335.jpg

It's frickin BAGBY!
angry.gif

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Henchmen21 said:
Didn't you guys hear? Everything is a GoW clone since GoW invented everything. Yup, PacMan is a GoW clone cause you use buttons to perform actions in PacMan and you use buttons to perform actions in GoW therefore Pacman is a GoW clone.

And GoW invented sex. I mean look at the evidence. There's sex in GoW so sex must have been invented by GoW.

I've heard a rumor that someone is going to call you the stupidest fucking idiot they have seen on GAF in years. I can't give you any evidence, though. Grapevines and all that. I can, although, offer you some freshly squeezed grape juice.

Henchmen21 said:

You know, if you can't see a clear God of War influence in the gameplay videos we've seen, you're either fucking blind, fucking stupid, or a fucking liar. Or hell, some combination of the three.

No, God of War did not invent the action genre. No, God of War did not invent using chain-based weapons in games. But there are certain elements, both stylistic and gameplay-oriented, that you will find in God of War and not other action games prior to it, and I'll be a fucking pink rabbit with ice skates if they aren't right there on display in this game.

Christ, there's nothing wrong with looking forward to this game, or even with you feeling that it's not ripping God of War off entirely, but calling out other people for mentioning a fucking *obvious* reference point makes you look like a goddamn idiot.

jett

D-Member
:lol at denying the GOW influence. dealwithit.gif

I've called this thing a Kratosvania since the trailer last year, and it doesn't really matter to be honest. It looks great.

WrikaWrek

Banned
It's influenced by God Of War which in itself was influenced by Devil May Cry which was influenced by (?)

God of War didn't start anything. Deal with it Jett.

jett

D-Member
WrikaWrek said:
It's influenced by God Of War which in itself was influenced by Devil May Cry which was influenced by (?)

God of War didn't start anything. Deal with it Jett.

What do you know...it's tea time!

Segata Sanshiro said:
You know, if you can't see a clear God of War influence in the gameplay videos we've seen, you're either fucking blind, fucking stupid, or a fucking liar. Or hell, some combination of the three.

No, God of War did not invent the action genre. No, God of War did not invent using chain-based weapons in games. But there are certain elements, both stylistic and gameplay-oriented, that you will find in God of War and not other action games prior to it, and I'll be a fucking pink rabbit with ice skates if they aren't right there on display in this game.

Christ, there's nothing wrong with looking forward to this game, or even with you feeling that it's not ripping God of War off entirely, but calling out other people for mentioning a fucking *obvious* reference point makes you look like a goddamn idiot.
Okay first off.

Last time I checked, using inflammatory language to insult a poster was against the TOS. And here I thought GAF was mature.

2. Name one thing from GoW that other games hadn't already done first. The ONLY thing that GoW can say is it's own is the Greek mythology setting and even that was done in Rygar etc...

3. I wasn't calling anyone "out". I'm just sick and damn tired of GoW being compared to everything else like it invented the genre.

Anyone got any links to footage that shows off platforming and exploration? Tired of seeing boss fights, cinematic cutscenes, and more boring arena fights. I want to be sold on this game, but I won't be suckered in by the high production values and a familiar name at full price only to play a game that I've played many times already in the last few years.

Henchmen21 said:
Okay first off.

Last time I checked, using inflammatory language to insult a poster was against the TOS. And here I thought GAF was mature.

2. Name one thing from GoW that other games hadn't already done first. The ONLY thing that GoW can say is it's own is the Greek mythology setting and even that was done in Rygar etc...

3. I wasn't calling anyone "out". I'm just sick and damn tired of GoW being compared to everything else like it invented the genre.
1. You're right, using inflammatory language to directly insult a poster is against the TOS. Good thing I'm a pro with hypotheticals!

2. Since God of War was one of few 3D action games to use a whip-like weapon, it was able to establish a lot with regards to how a whip-like weapon can work properly in 3D. Gabriel's main combo looks *identical* animation-wise to Kratos' basic combo. Before you say it, no, that is not how whips work in real life. It's just how they work in GoW, and obviously the guys at ms thought it worked well enough to imitate. I'm also pretty sure God of War was the first game to do Grab + QTE, but I may be wrong and it might just be the most famous.

I mean, I don't see how you can deny this... the whole ball got rolling by Kojima remarking he wanted to see a Castlevania game like God of War.

3. Come on, now. If you aren't willing to at least own up to what you were doing with that post, don't expect to get far around here. Castlevania is getting compared to God of War because it really fucking looks like God of War. Not Devil May Cry, not Onimusha, not CV64, not Rygar (though close, lol... that'd be God of War's inspiration if you ask me). The game can be a knock-off of God of War and still be fucking amazing, though. Since you've clearly made it your mission statement here at GAF to boost this game, you should probably keep that in mind.

Segata Sanshiro said:
you're either fucking blind, fucking stupid, or a fucking liar. Or hell, some combination of the three.
That's not hypothetical. That's a direct insult.

I mean, I don't see how you can deny this... the whole ball got rolling by Kojima remarking he wanted to see a Castlevania game like God of War.
So? just because Kojima said that doesn't mean thats how it got started. Cox has stated in several interviews how LoS came about.

3. Come on, now. If you aren't willing to at least own up to what you were doing with that post, don't expect to get far around here
I was being satirical in that all I see on countless webpages is those weak reasonings anytime any game comes out in the action genre.

Castlevania is getting compared to God of War because it really fucking looks like God of War.
No it doesn't. It looks like Castlevania. It doesn't star a bald, ashy hero set in greek mythology and populated with nothing but tits and gore.

Henchmen21 said:
That's not hypothetical. That's a direct insult.
See how the part you cut off that quote says 'if'? That's what makes it a hypothetical. Like, the very definition of a hypothetical.

So? just because Kojima said that doesn't mean thats how it got started. Cox has stated in several interviews how LoS came about.
Oh man, guy doing PR playing fast and loose with the truth? Someone wake up the media!

I was being satirical in that all I see on countless webpages is those weak reasonings anytime any game comes out in the action genre.
Okay, but see, in this case, it fits. Just like it fit with Dante's Inferno. Or do you think Dante's Inferno was free of God of War influence?

No it doesn't. It looks like Castlevania. It doesn't star a bald, ashy hero set in greek mythology and populated with nothing but tits and gore.
I see. So in your opinion, the only elements of a game are the physical appearance of the character, the setting, and a few gratuitous bells and whistles?

Dude, whatever. It's pretty obvious at this point there's not much worth discussing things with you. You are completely unwilling to compromise on your extremely radical point of view with regards to this game.

It looks a bit closer to God of War than I would like. I kind of lusted after a 3D Castlevania that feels like Demon's Souls, subdued and truly horrific, but with platforming and a slightly faster pace. Still, this game looks fun despite the over-the-top insanity.

LowParry

Ya know, that does bring about a question that I'm not understanding. Why do people think this isn't a Castlevania game? What is there that we are not seeing that makes it just that?

Top Bottom