• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Faith (3DS)

It would be amazing if it was a traditional 2D Castlevania game with point to point levels (in other words not Metroidvania style) but I know it won't be.

Someone's going to have to tell me what "Igavania" means now.

Anyways, it'd be great to see another linear 2D Castlevania with the whip.

Koji Igarashi also known as IGA, most of the games he's worked on/directed/produced are the best loved in the series, all of the Metroidvania titles (minus Circle of the Moon) were made by him.

wrowa

Someone's going to have to tell me what "Igavania" means now.
A Castlevania made by that guy:

iga.jpg

He's the one who's responsible for the GBA and DS Castlevania games. Well, he also did those PS2 games and one other game we prefer not to talk about.

Wait, does this mean there is no 3D console version sequel in the works as well? Or the making 2 games? Does anybody know? Saving it for next gen?

I love LoS, haha.

ImLibo

Hell yeah! I've been waiting for a new handheld castlevania ever since i bought the 3DS,They could do some cool depth of field 3D effects like Mighty switch force,E3 can't come soon enough!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, it would be nice if Iga was doing this, rather than Mercury Steam. :\

I'm excited though I wish more of this stuff could be kept under wraps for E3, I like my E3 when everything is a megaton and all gaming websites crash

Am I the only person who's happy with IGA's non-involvement? It means the game at least has a chance of having levels that aren't randomly generated.

radcliff

Castlevania is in my Fave Five of video game franchises. This is a no brainer no matter if its level based of MedtroidVania.

Derrick01

Banned
Wait, does this mean there is no 3D console version sequel in the works as well? Or the making 2 games? Does anybody know? Saving it for next gen?

I love LoS, haha.

LoS 2 has been all but officially confirmed at this point so we're thankfully still getting a sequel to that eventually. I'm also intrigued in this game too since they're also working on it but it seems like it'll be another 2D one and I've had my fill of those on GBA and DS. It seems like there's 8 billion of those sometimes.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Is IGA still at Konami? Aside from a few digital titles he hasn't done anything these past few years, has he?

Am I the only person who's happy with IGA's non-involvement? It means the game at least has a chance of having levels that aren't randomly generated.

Sales aside, Iga's formula may have gotten a bit brain dead towards the end but it worked and was the gaming equivalent of comfort food. It was nice and familiar and reminded us of all the good times we've had with the series.

Nice! A new Castlevania, and for the 3DS! Let's keep that 3rd party support coming.

This would likely be a companion game to LOS2 on HD consoles (as Epic Mickey: PoI is to EM2), but we'll see.
Probably you're right.
It's not likely, but let's see if the 3DS version is the superior version in this case, too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Lord of Shadow 2 on Wii U with dumb Mirror of Faith connectivity features? Stay tuned to find out.

LoS 2 has been all but officially confirmed at this point so we're thankfully still getting a sequel to that eventually. I'm also intrigued in this game too since they're also working on it but it seems like it'll be another 2D one and I've had my fill of those on GBA and DS. It seems like there's 8 billion of those sometimes.

Ahh. I see.

I hope this 2D one is vastly different than the past DS offerings. I want their 2D formula mixed up a little.

This news has me really torn. Any new Castlevania announcement makes me giddy but why is Konami treating IGA this way? The man has literally never made a bad handheld 'Vania game.

Sales aside, Iga's formula may have gotten a bit brain dead towards the end but it worked and was the gaming equivalent of comfort food. It was nice and familiar and reminded us of all the good times we've had with the series.

And I'm not saying that any of the Igavanias are outright bad, but... come on, there have been seven games based on the SOTN formula, with the same level design that consists mainly of generic rooms filled with enemies and a few token obstacles. It's time to move on; the man clearly either wasn't interested in or capable of fixing the biggest flaws in that formula.

Personally I'm over the Metroidvania formula, I mean let's not kid anyone here I would still buy them and enjoy them but I would be thrilled if it's not like that.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Too bad.
I'd rather have a new IGAvania.

Finally sat down and played through Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin again. Could be I'm just suffering from that "Don't know what you got 'till it's gone." feeling but damn. They're fun games with some good ideas.

Dawn of Sorrow, IMO of course, rivals SotN as the greatest "metroidvania" game ever created. Aria of Sorrow was by far and away the best GBA incarnation and seeing as it laid the framework for Dawn of Sorrow, it's high in my list as well.

Should be interesting to see how this pans out, I guess. If it's another title I can pick up if/when I cave and get a 3DS, great!

Hiltz

I hope this is true because if it is, then this will officially seal the deal for me wanting to eventually pick up a 3DS once the inevitable new model comes out. Those requirements from third-parties were to bring Monster Hunter and 2D Castlevania.

Dascu

And I'm not saying that any of the Igavanias are outright bad, but... come on, there have been seven games based on the SOTN formula, with the same level design that consists mainly of generic rooms filled with enemies and a few token obstacles. It's time to move on; the man clearly either wasn't interested in or capable of fixing the biggest flaws in that formula.

He was arguably on the right track with Order of Ecclesia. A much better artstyle, better challenge, refreshing protagonist and some throwbacks to the old games in stage design and platforming.

Top Bottom