• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Faith (3DS)

Floex

Seems like he's currently working on a Kinect title.

xIanG.gif

He was arguably on the right track with Order of Ecclesia. A much better artstyle, better challenge, refreshing protagonist and some throwbacks to the old games in stage design and platforming.

The big problem with OoE is that level design didn't really start until you got to Dracula's Castle.

Way too much of the game was "Walk this direction, occasionally jump over water, fight monsters."

Had me at "2D Castlevania," lost me at "Mercury Steam". I hate this trend of Japanese companies whoring themselves out to western studios so much.

.la1n

I want IGA back on 2D Castlevania, I enjoyed all of his games even if they never did live up to SoTN. Mercury Steam can continue the 3D action titles. I do not doubt they can pull of a genuinely well made 2D Castlevania for 3DS but let IGA have some work...please?

TreIII

Am I the only person who's happy with IGA's non-involvement?

You wouldn't be the only one. If I can't get back Hiroyuki Fukui and Toru Hagihara, the ones who were REALLY responsible for SOTN being the classic it was? Then I at least will rest assured knowing IGA's not doing anything more to drag their classic down.

Dascu said:
Reminds me of the PORTRAITofRUIN days.

Hah! That takes me back...

Huff

Banned
We all know Konami doesn't actually make games anymore. Not surprised this is being done by Mercury Steam

I was extremely ecstatic until I read it was by the LoS guy and developed by Mercury Steam. Mood swinging in full force today. :(

Well either way, I hope it's good (2D gives me plenty of hope), and I still hope we'll get an Iga-made Igavania in the future.

That's extra-confusing when talking about a 3DS title. Do you mean Metroidvania-style, sprite-based or 'not 3D'?
Since all 3DS games have S3D, it's extremely likely he meant 2D gameplay.

Hopefully this isn't the Lords of Shadow sequel, I want that on my TV please. The game could be set in between the "end" and the "epilogue" of LoS.

Normally I'd love a 2d nes era game but seeing as we've heard nothing on 2d Metroid coming back I'll take a SoTN style game instead.

Maybe this is to tide us over because LoS2 is a next gen game?

Pociask

Having finally beaten Rondo of Blood, can we go back to that style for a while? I say this as a huge fan of the Igavanias.

Read the 3DS and thought "Yes! Castlevania returns to its 2D roots!"

Read the Lords of Shadow connections and lost interest. What a waste.

Lords of Shadow was excellent, so if it's 3D I'll play it.

Otherwise I'll back out. 2D side scrollers just feel way too tired to me now.

Derrick01

Banned
Lords of Shadow was excellent, so if it's 3D I'll play it.

Otherwise I'll back out. 2D side scrollers just feel way too tired to me now.

Hey we agree for once!

I used to appreciate the igavania's but come on people there's been 1 great one (SotN) and a ton of followers copying that same exact formula. It's been beaten to death already.

OnPoint

Is it confirmed 2D or 3D? If it really is a 2D title by Mercury Stream, perhaps we'll see some actual innovation, for better or worse.

Khezu

Iga ran the franchise into the ground and I'm glad hes making anymore games, but uh not exactly confident MS can make a good 2D game.

Hey we agree for once!

I used to appreciate the igavania's but come on people there's been 1 great one (SotN) and a ton of followers copying that same exact formula. It's been beaten to death already.

IMO Dawn of Sorrow is argueably better than SoTN and OoE shows that the formula could evolved and actually it's a pretty different experience while maintaining most of the best stuff from past titles.

For example OoE has some nice plataforming setpieces. Something that most Metroidvanias lacked.

Top Bottom