• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Faith (3DS)

Foffy

Banned
I think the fact Konami only had MercurySteam Castlevania characters on their big E3 character bracket all but confirmed Konami has abandoned everything about the series pre-LoS.

The fact we knew MercurySteam was working on a prototype Castlevania for 3DS last year, this is no surprise. And I'm not even disappointed about this, as a result.

CaVaYeRo

I love Iga DSvanias. But this just makes sense to me...

ideameunanintendo_241055.jpg

They should be developing it as a spin-off, right?

Instro

I called this happening back when lords of shadow was announced, goodbye IGA :(. Maybe they will roll him out again at E3 to talk about how great MecurySteam is lol. On the plus side this will probably get a bigger budget than any of his games ever did.

Anyway I love CV very much so hopefully this turns out well. Kojima better be involved in the art and Yamane better be composing.

It would be amazing if it was a traditional 2D Castlevania game with point to point levels (in other words not Metroidvania style) but I know it won't be.
I really hope it's that too. Some linear vertical and horizontal platforming action with a whip and some challenging levels would be amazing.

LoS looked cool, hopefully it's like that. I thought Mercury Steam was supposed to be a great developer, why are people booing at them being the developer of this?

Hmm...I really disliked Lords of Shadow's gameplay style, but it had some of the most amazing concept art I've seen. If they could pull off the Iga gameplay and bring in beautiful painted backgrounds, this could be on of my most anticipated games.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, this is so disappointing.... I'd been thinking about how cool it'd be to have a new Castlevania come out on 3DS, where the graphics are prettier and the soundtrack benefits from better sound hardware...

This is crushing.

Foffy

Banned
Plus, I thought Mercury Steam was working on Contra 3DS.

Cox has gone on record saying Mercury wants to make a Contra game. But all they've hinted about was another Castlevania the same week Lords launched.

And besides, when this image came out, wasn't this for the console sequel to Lords? So is Mercury working on two new Castlevania games?

LoS looked cool, hopefully it's like that. I thought Mercury Steam was supposed to be a great developer, why are people booing at them being the developer of this?

They made a good game in Lords. They made a bad Castlevania in Lords.

If it's in the continuity of the other GBA/DS Metroidvania, I'm really happy. Except if it's like Portrait of Ruin, I didn't like that one.

If this was called "Miror of Sorrow", I would have lost my shit. I love your gameplay Soma Cruz, come back.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I thought Portrait of Ruin was on the right track but ultimately fell short. What I would like to see is a game with an open castle to explore (not too large, though) in which you visit individual stages designed in the style of old school Castlevania games (ala Dracula X).

Pociask

I really hope it's that too. Some linear vertical and horizontal platforming action with a whip and some challenging levels would be amazing.

This. Add in an unlockable cast of characters with varying weapons/subweapons/strengths/weaknesses. It was a good formula - why not use it again?

Skilletor

The funny thing to me is that so many people think 2D = Metroidvania. As if that's the only way it could be done.

Give me something like Dracula X or CV1-4.

I thought Portrait of Ruin was on the right track but ultimately fell short. What I would like to see is a game with an open castle to explore (not too large, though) in which you visit individual stages designed in the style of old school Castlevania games (ala Dracula X).

Well OoE is more or less like that, smaller more linear stages and a shorter metroidvania castle.

The funny thing to me is that so many people think 2D = Metroidvania. As if that's the only way it could be done.

Give me something like Dracula X or CV1-4.

Not the only way, but the right way to do it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Thank you god! My 3ds prayers have been answered, and I now have a new most anticipated 3ds game, and #2 most anticipated game overall!

7threst

Reading the Lord of Shadows-hate is kinda depressing for me. I totally loved that game. So a 3DS game with a similar presentation sounds absolutely great to me. Too bad other people dislike that game. It is as if this game is already tainted with negativity even though we know nothing of the game yet.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Because everything that has been leaked about this sounds dreadful. Cel-shaded like PoR's intro? Gross. IGA would've been a better choice, either another game with M2 or a new Metroidvania would've been nice.

Hiltz

I'm not familiar with the Mercury team, but you guys seem to be dooming this game for a reason. Konami, what's going on with you?

LeleSocho

Banned
Good lord kill me, i don't want this to be true..... i prefer not having a Castlevania for the next 5 years instead of this...
good lord why why why why why

IGA where are you? :(

Foffy

Banned
Reading the Lord of Shadows-hate is kinda depressing for me. I totally loved that game. So a 3DS game with a similar presentation sounds absolutely great to me. Too bad other people dislike that game. It is as if this game is already tainted with negativity even though we know nothing of the game yet.

Lords was an okay Castlevania title but a pretty good action game. So, for Castlevania fans, there's a lot to not be happy with this decision. For one, knowing it's going to be set in the awful continuity of the reboot potentially confirms
Dracula will not be the final boss again
and that
the new major antagonist is Satan of all fucking characters.

sphinx

the piano man
this brings me a step closer to buying a 3DS..

two more steps needed:

.- redesign
.- Etrian Odyssey 4 NTSC announcement

HyperHip

Not a fan of LOS (especially the art style) but I'm up for seeing how they handle a 2d title. Here's hoping it runs above 15-20 fps.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh, yeah, considering this should be in MS's hands now, I'll say it.

IWATA WAS RIGHT, WESTERN SUPPORT IS COMING!

Just like in the Adventure Time thread :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Oh, yeah, considering this should be in MS's hands now, I'll say it.

IWATA WAS RIGHT, WESTERN SUPPORT IS COMING!

Just like in the Adventure Time thread :lol
So what you're saying is, 3DS is going to light the NPD charts on fire? :eek:

gondwana

is this site even credible? i love how 95% of e3 rumors can be discredited by simply looking at the url. yeah, i'm sure some obscure dutch nintendo fansite is getting hot exclusives

that lord of shadow game looks wretched though. you know it's bad when people are pining for igavania's return

7threst

Lords was an okay Castlevania title but a pretty good action game. So, for Castlevania fans, there's a lot to not be happy with this decision. For one, knowing it's going to be set in the awful continuity of the reboot potentially confirms
and that

True, but one style of game doesn't rule out other kind of games within the same franchise right? I mean, the Castlevania timeline is already fucked up as it is. And who knows, maybe they do a reboot again? A sidestory/spin-off? Everything is possible I think.

Simple...

NO IGA = NO BUY!

NOT 2D = NO BUY!

You might miss out on a great game...

LeleSocho

Banned
and that

...also another missed occasion for the 1999 Castlevania.

SMH

jman2050

Dude, you literally just described Order of Ecclesia.

EDIT - Wait, sorry, was late on that.

Top Bottom