• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Faith (3DS)

sajj316

It seems strange to me that they would take the 3D models approach since 2D on the 3DS actually looks pretty good in 3D. The DS kept 2D Castlevania alive! Not sure how it sold ..

Amalthea

Banned
Ayami Kojima is awesome and has to return to the series.

tumblr_l29n5d4p2s1qa7szj25.jpg

Ahasverus

Guys have you seen the new Dave Cox profile picture in twitter?
It's supposed to be a hint
Wolf.jpg

And seriously, who needs Ayami Kojima with artwork like his?

castlevania-lords-of-shadow-reverie-Gabriel_Cementerio-1280px-50p.jpg

It seems strange to me that they would take the 3D models approach since 2D on the 3DS actually looks pretty good in 3D.

True, 2D in 3D is one of the more enjoyable 3D I've seen. I was hoping for a 2D Castlevania on the 3DS after playing Mighty Switch Force. :I

rozay

Banned
I would've preferred 2D to 3D with this game as the artwork in LoS is absolutely killer and would translate well to pixels. Also a little sad IGA doesn't get to continue working on the handhelds, but I'd like to see what this game looks like.

Amalthea

Banned

I prefer non-europeans who have a better idea about medieval european art over native Europeans who have to rip-off movies like The Lord of the Rings or The Name of the Rose to get inferior results.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You play as Gabriel trying to cure himself from the vampire curse. But the curse comes with a few benefits such as transforming into a bat or a wolf.

So the mirror is like magic and he wants to find it to change his fate and stuff.

And at the end you fight Necron from FF9..

wrowa

http://lazyreviewzzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/castlevania-lords-of-shadow-reverie-Gabriel_Cementerio-1280px-50p.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Eh, are you serious? That looks completely generic :/

Skilletor

So did you play Contra 4?

hit or miss > miss or miss

Nawp. But I don't think Mercury Steam has made a 2D game yet, so I'll wait for them to try before condemning them. If this is going to be 3D gameplay, I won't care.

Wayforward wouldn't mean much to me except that it could have pretty sprites. Maybe it would be good, maybe it wouldn't. Exactly my stance now.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Nawp. But I don't think Mercury Steam has made a 2D game yet, so I'll wait for them to try before condemning them. If this is going to be 3D gameplay, I won't care.

Wayforward wouldn't mean much to me except that it could have pretty sprites.
So clearly it'd already be a marked improvement over whatever this is even if no details had leaked.

Foffy

Banned
So...this says that they made a typo? This confirms the existance of the game...shouldn't they deny it? O_O

Deny it by starting a fuel against Konami for them being told to take it down? The cats out of the bag the moment the article went down.

Skilletor

Yes, that's not the sprites I'm talking about.

So now we're being selective in the sprites we're talking about to prove a point?

Whatever. Hope the leak about it having a belmont is true, and I hope it's 2d gameplay. Won't care otherwise.

And for some reason you think it'd be in better hands here?

I have no idea. I don't know what this development company will do with a 2D style Castlevania. I'll wait and see.

I do know that Wayforward has some gems and they have made shit.

Awesome, the follow up to the absolutely incredible OoE is finally on the way.

That was my favorite game on the DS, so I have high expectations for this.

LowParry

Awww, was hoping this was the Lords sequel. Sweet for 3DS owners. You know it's going to be a 3D like game. If it comes out 2D, color me surprised.

Foffy

Banned
Yes. But don't be alarmed, a console follow-up to Lords of Shadow is very likely also in the works.

Very likely? It was hinted at the week Lords came out. How was a 3DS Castlevania game in the works since then if Mercury didn't get a prototype done until last year?

Always meant to get the DS games! Never got round to it though.

In terms of it needing to be 2D, the game could still be 3D but with the 2D platforming perspective (especially with 3D, slight angle and you'll see the floor and if the character is close or not) - like pullbox. A Prince of Persia type changing camera style could work from the gameplay I saw of the originals.

But I think the '2D only' reaction is silly, they'll no doubt be/has been a lot of tinkering with it already to work out the best way.

bede-x

Hehe, I've known this for a while. It's in 2D, it's for 3DS and it's made by Mercury Steam.

Yay for the first part, but Mecury Steam? I know it said Castlevania on the box, but of Lords of Shadow had very little to do with Castlevania* and seemed structured more towards hitting the God of War segment. I'd love to see changes to a well known formula, as long as the changes actually tries to take the franchise somewhere new and not just blatantly copy another existing concept.

Oh well, at least it's 2D and that counts for something.

*no, having a weak version of Vampire Killer in a music box does not make it a Castlevania game.

Suzzopher

I'm confused is this on 3DS or not?

Think of it like Epic Mickey, 3DS gets a separate game to the home console sequel. LOS2 should be announced at E3 alongside this 3DS outing.

There is a good chance that Mercury Steam are just producing this title with another studio handling the actual development, one who has portable experience. I reckon we'll see Griptonite Games announced as the developer.

Foffy

Banned
Yay for the first part, but Mecury Steam? I know it said Castlevania on the box, but of Lords of Shadow had very little to do with Castlevania* and seemed structured more towards hitting the God of War segment. I'd love to see changes to a well known formula, as long as the changes actually tries to take the franchise somewhere new and not just blatantly copy another existing concept.

Oh well, at least it's 2D and that counts for something.

*no, having a weak version of Vampire Killer in a music box does not make it a Castlevania game.

B-BUT it had Waterfall from SCIV!

Top Bottom