• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania |OT| A miserable little pile of episodes - Netflix 7/7

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This isn't even the worst Simon Belmont design:

10212-SimonBelmont.gif

gaugebozo

I swear I heard a riff on a classic song, will watch again tonight to confirm.

However, the lack of outstanding themes is disappointing for this series.

Finished it last night. Alucards belt look like an 80s thong. My GF and I couldn't stop laughing. I think if the show wasn't so gory I wouldn't have liked it. I hope they up the violence in the next season. They definitely need to work on quality but I feel like it's hard to judge after 4 episodes. Most shows are Kind of off for at least half a season.

Slixshot

Banned
Just watched it in a sitting. Really enjoyed it! Some of the animation was great. Some not so much. More fighting and maybe a little more emotion from Trevor in season 2 and I'm good.

Apt101

My brain always defaults to how the characters looked in the game. He definitely didn't look like that in the game.

In the crude 8-bits of Simon's Quest , and accompanying artwork, he was definitely wearing that armor. My favorite and most memorable Castlevania.

i like some of the judgement designs. cornell is much superior to its n64 counterpart. sypha and eric lagarde is pretty awesome. trevor, shanoa and simon (i mean its basically light from death note) are pretty okay. death is one of my most favorite designs. alucard, aeon and camilla are bad. maria renard is just trash....

it was a bit strange that they completely disregarded genya arikado, soma cruz, yoko belnandes and julius belmont

i really hope the netflix money will allow them to do

Castlevania III -> Castlevania -> Castlevania Rondo -> Castlevania Symphony -> Castlevania Aria and Dawn

The way I see it, the way in which a Castlevania series has been enjoyed by the huge Netflix masses only undermines Konami's argument to fold their core game development.

Maybe Konami will continue to do nothing but cash in on adaptations and merchandise of the license, but it really builds the case that CV games were a cultural institution worth continuing.

Like Marvel in the 90s, sometimes the powers-that-be holding certain properties have no clue what they are really worth in the public eye.

they said that they will consider castlevania for the switch due to high bomberman sales.

tcrunch

I enjoyed watching this a lot! I thought it was getting pretty good at the end of episode 4, but then all the episodes after that REALLY blew me away!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I binge-watched it last night and found it surprisingly enjoyable. By far the best video game adaptation I've ever seen.

The good:

- The art style and grimdark atmosphere. The whole thing was metal as fuck. The backdrops were glorious too.
- The blasphemy and unapologetic anti-Christianity. Warren Ellis gives no fucks and I love it.
- The edginess. Sometimes it's just juvenile or dumb but here it works perfectly. Warren Ellis is one of the rare people who can make edginess actually cool and entertaining, instead of trite and eye-rolling.
- The animation was fine. I don't get the complains. The whip action sequences were baller.
- Good VA. Everyone was pretty good in their role. Armitage in particular was fantastic.
- Good plot/story/characterization. Especially for an adaptation of a game with minimal amounts of those things. Or perhaps because of it; CV always had interesting lore but not much of those, so Warren Ellis can just fill in the blanks and flesh out the characters and stories better.
- The dialogue was a little goofy at times (tone was all over the place), but still entertaining. I laughed at the testicles line and the goat fucking jokes and the "have some class" line and all the swearing too.
-
Alucard
and the duel were really fucking cool.
Also shirtless Alucard ooooof *fans self*
- The gaming references/fanservice; all the
Sypha
stuff,
Cyclops
boss fight (it was almost a Dark Souls boss fight haha, loved it), whip melee action, knife crash, axe subweapon, holy water, the occasional "platforming", etc. I'm secretly hoping for a chicken-in-wall reference at some point somehow, but that might be going too far. xD

The not-so-good/needs improvement:

- Way too short: it's just starting to get really exciting and then it ends. Booo
- The music was really forgettable.
- The monsters were cool enough, but I would have preferred more iconic Castlevania monsters and demons.
- Maybe tone down the goofy dialogue a wee bit? A few jokes/quips here and there are fine but sometimes it did feel a bit out of place.
- The whole
collapsing underground
sequence was too long and unnecessary. It felt like an Uncharted parody, and not in a good way.

Shit that eyeball was unnecessary. 😱
Hell naw. It was perfect :D

This was a really pleasant surprise.

I'd totally play a Castlevania 3 remake where the characters are based on their counterparts in this show. Just saying.
Me too!

Davey Cakes

The whole
collapsing underground
sequence was too long and unnecessary. It felt like an Uncharted parody, and not in a good way.
I agree. This might have been my least favorite part of the show thus far. It tried to hit on one of the video game-y aspects that you'd expect from Castlevania but didn't really translate well.

Golnei

I'm secretly hoping for a chicken-in-wall reference at some point somehow, but that might be going too far. xD

I agree. This might have been my least favorite part of the show thus far. It tried to hit on one of the video game-y aspects that you'd expect from Castlevania but didn't really translate well.

It was a really unnecessary sequence. The whole placement of it felt off, and the way it segued in from the village square battle made it seem even more directionless. It'd still not be the best scene if that was altered, but by doing the 'collapsing floor' thing with the entire square, I was biased against it from the beginning - in addition, it only made the abuse of that device throughout the scene more grating.

Fercho

Just watched the episodes...they are.....ok i guess.

Too tryhard with the violence for my tastes. Don't get me wrong, i love suffering and misery in my shows. But in this it shows they are just trying to hard to be edgy, killing babies and shit for no reason.

Not fan of the music at all. The VO also kinda sucks, too calm and somnolent for my testes.

Action and animation were cool. I like that they are using SOTN and C3 as template.

Z3M0G

Finished it over the weekend (had to watch final episode on my phone... my GF is not at all interested in this), and I absolutely LOVED it. What a tease though... I which it ended on something a little bit more significant, but this would have been the perfect 4 episodes of a 10 episode season.

Skulldead

Watch it in one shot last night, as a really big castlevania fan, i was actualy suprise how much i like it overall !

The animation is not perfect, the music is forgettable, but the way they expose the lore of draculas curse is amazing. They add a such a interesting layer of the base story with the preacher and believing in god, background story of the belmont familly. And the greatest thing is i think so far they really nailed the original content. Like sylpha spell, fire, ice and wind, they are all from the game. the sub weapon trevor use, the salt and holy water. Everything was well place into the series.

I've saw a lot of complain about gore and violence during cities attack, i think it was amazing and it show really well that dracula is just cruel.

I'm really looking foward season 2 ! I can only imagine if they decide to expand the world with ritcher universe during rondo of blood and SOTN during later season.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

It’s always a horrible night to have a curse in Dracula country, but in real life, Netflix’s Castlevania just lifted another curse: It’s the first video game adaptation to get a Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

they said that they will consider castlevania for the switch due to high bomberman sales.
When did they say this? This is news to me!

A CV Collection containing all the Classicvanias is such an easy, cheap and quick cash grab it's not even funny! Do it and piggyback off of the series' 2nd season!

Just did my rewatch in Japanese.

Was funny listening to the voices as the voice of Trevor was originally Alucard in SotN and all of the more recent games so my brain had to detach from that.

And while it was hard not to hear Roy Mustang's voice coming from Alucard, I think Shinichiro Miki did a good job that seemed to suit the character better, at least for me.

Just watched this today and really enjoyed it. My only major complaint is that I wish it kept going, but I guess that speaks to how good it was.

Does everyone think the bishop (the guy that burned Dracula's wife, can't remember his name) really died? Seems like kind of a waste if he did since I liked him as a villain and would've thought Dracula would make his death more personal.

Kinsei

Banned
Just watched this today and really enjoyed it. My only major complaint is that I wish it kept going, but I guess that speaks to how good it was.

Does everyone think the bishop (the guy that burned Dracula's wife, can't remember his name) really died? Seems like kind of a waste if he did since I liked him as a villain and would've thought Dracula would make his death more personal.

I doubt it. I think he was turned into the dark priest Shaft.

While it'd be cool if he became Shaft, I think he's deader than dead. We saw his legs stop moving around, make horrible slurping noises and blood splash.

Amalthea

Banned
Am I the only one who imagines Alucard abusing the castles time traveling functions to shop for clothes all over history so he can rock a 17th/18th century coat with a v-neck shirt on the 15th century?

Alucard

Banned
Watched the intro again and there's a wolf and some bats right after each other. Wonder if we'll get to see Alucard doing some animorphing.

P.S. I'm one of the few who enjoyed Lament of Innocence on the PS2. Liked the basic story, whip combos, and character designs. And the save rooms. I think the game gets a bad rap, though I understand the complaints of it just being a repetitive dungeon crawler.

Alucard

Banned
So, I just went into the Wii virtual console store and purchased CV2: Simon's Quest, CV3: Dracula's Curse, and CV: Rondo of Blood, none of which I've ever played or played seriously. Rondo of Blood with that SotN connection...hnnnnng. On stage 3. Music is amazing in this one.

Rydeen

So, I just went into the Wii virtual console store and purchased CV2: Simon's Quest, CV3: Dracula's Curse, and CV: Rondo of Blood, none of which I've ever played or played seriously. Rondo of Blood with that SotN connection...hnnnnng. On stage 3. Music is amazing in this one.

Rondo is easily my favorite of the classic Castlevania games, it's just a wonderful perfection of the original formula, and a culmination of what makes the Castlevania series special. There's a lot of fun call backs to the original game in it later on, as well.

Well, you could always play CV3 first, since that's what the Castlevania series is based off of. But Rondo is also awesome just because of the branching paths and using either Richter or Maria.

Alucard

Banned
Rondo is easily my favorite of the classic Castlevania games, it's just a wonderful perfection of the original formula, and a culmination of what makes the Castlevania series special. There's a lot of fun call backs to the original game in it later on, as well.

Yeah, I can already see why it gets the love that it does. Looking forward to finishing it and exploring all of the paths. The VA adds an interesting tint to the game...kind of cheesy when you open up that first door with a key and find...a young Maria?...and then some anime stuff happens. I'll have to look up the translated text online afterwards too.

Oh, and the intro being in German with Japanese subtitles threw me for a loop.

Alucard

Banned
Well, you could always play CV3 first, since that's what the Castlevania series is based off of. But Rondo is also awesome just because of the branching paths and using either Richter or Maria.

I'll do that too. In my life, I've played...

CV1, CV4, Bloodlines, SotN, CV64, Lament of Innocence, and all of the Gameboy Metroidvanias.

Weird that Bloodlines isn't available on Wii virtual console.

Top Bottom