• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania |OT| A miserable little pile of episodes - Netflix 7/7

Astral Dog

Shankar on why CV was able to break the Rottentomatoes video game curse: https://editorial.rottentomatoes.co...r-adi-shankar-on-fresh-video-game-adaptation/

Basically says the series was made for the fans, not at fans.
Im not sure i agree with this article despite shitting on the games (the ones with good characters anyways) Resident Evil was hugely successful series of movies with tons of fans, its a reason the games are as popular as they are so Anderson did something right.

Anime also tends to fair a bit better in the games to video conversion then movies do. A lot of what you can do in animation would be very expensive to do in live action.

Anime also tends to fair a bit better in the games to video conversion then movies do. A lot of what you can do in animation would be very expensive to do in live action.

Yes, aesthetics is huge too. We have been spoiled by the MCU, but for the longest time superhero costumes looked extremely cheesy or dull in live action.

Also I think it's the acting too. We are far more lenient in suspending our disbelief with cartoons than live actors.

Alucard

Banned
I really wish I could find this poster for sale somewhere...

castlevania-netflix.jpg

Even an 8.5x11 would be nice to put a little frame around and hang in a nerdy corner of my basement.

EDIT: Oh man, this is up on Ebay. Noice. Will look into authenticity. https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_odk...TRS0&_nkw=castlevania+netflix+poster&_sacat=0

Edit 2: looks like they're high quality reproductions sent from China, but I'm cool with it. Ordered a silk version of this. It's apparently easy to frame and last longer than paper.

Im not sure i agree with this article despite shitting on the games (the ones with good characters anyways) Resident Evil was hugely successful series of movies with tons of fans, its a reason the games are as popular as they are so Anderson did something right.

Not to mention videogame fans don't necessarily know what makes a good TV show or movie (quite the opposite in some cases), so you wouldn't want to just give them exactly what they want.

Apt101

I really wish I could find this poster for sale somewhere...

castlevania-netflix.jpg

Even an 8.5x11 would be nice to put a little frame around and hang in a nerdy corner of my basement.

EDIT: Oh man, this is up on Ebay. Noice. Will look into authenticity. https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_odk...TRS0&_nkw=castlevania+netflix+poster&_sacat=0

Edit 2: looks like they're high quality reproductions sent from China, but I'm cool with it. Ordered a silk version of this. It's apparently easy to frame and last longer than paper.

Maybe check Etsy. There are people on there with serious printers that will do bespoke work on the hush hush.

Alucard

Banned
Finished it for the second time and the scene with Alucard putting on his trademark garb at the end just fills me with so many feels.

Alucard

Banned
Stuck on stage 4 of Rondo of Blood, so played some CVIII instead...got Grant. Didn't think there would be multiple paths in this game.

Davey Cakes

Stuck on stage 4 of Rondo of Blood, so played some CVIII instead...got Grant. Didn't think there would be multiple paths in this game.
The multiple paths are what makes the game great! The distinction is like "surface" vs. "subterranean" and it makes replaying the game really worthwhile.

Grant is fun to use, but he turns the game into easy mode in certain sections where you can basically climb past entire rooms and obstacles. That said, Alucard has the ability to fly which breaks a couple of areas as well. The only alternate character that maintains a solid balance is Sypha and that's because of her spells. Without those she'd be terrible.

Alucard

Banned
I'm assuming you wanted Alucard. Grant is better.

I can't get Alucard now? I haven't read any FAQs on the game so I'm not sure how it works. Just discovering it on my own. Things are getting difficult. :)

The multiple paths are what makes the game great! The distinction is like "surface" vs. "subterranean" and it makes replaying the game really worthwhile.

Grant is fun to use, but he turns the game into easy mode in certain sections where you can basically climb past entire rooms and obstacles. That said, Alucard has the ability to fly which breaks a couple of areas as well. The only alternate character that maintains a solid balance is Sypha and that's because of her spells. Without those she'd be terrible.

Rad. I'm looking forward to more.

Oh, oh a random note, Death in Castlevania I is nearly impossible. :-/ Nearly. Had him down to 1 point and the jerk beat me.

Do we have any official word on the series' creators having issues getting the permission from Konami/Composers to use classic CV music for this show? I just saw this mock up of the intro to the series set to a remix of Bloody Tears and I'm here wondering again why no iconic music was featured at all?

Was it a creative decision or a licensing issue? Do we even know?

Intro in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvJ0Cdo0L4Q

Alucard

Banned
Do we have any official word on the series' creators having issues getting the permission from Konami/Composers to use classic CV music for this show? I just saw this mock up of the intro to the series set to a remix of Bloody Tears and I'm here wondering again why no iconic music was featured at all?

Was it a creative decision or a licensing issue? Do we even know?

Intro in question: https://youtu.be/sx4MyFqBFig

Not available in Canada. Boooooo.

I actually love the intro they have now. :)

Okay, so when this first came out I talked shit, but I finally sat down and binge watched all four episodes and loved it. Something about the intro of the first episode really turned me off, but everything past that was amazing. I absolutely love the voice acting and writing. Some of the animation was spotty and cheap looking, but some of it was goddamn beautiful, too.

I really can't wait for more of this and I hope it doesn't stop.

Alucard

Banned
Okay, so when this first came out I talked shit, but I finally sat down and binge watched all four episodes and loved it. Something about the intro of the first episode really turned me off, but everything past that was amazing. I absolutely love the voice acting and writing. Some of the animation was spotty and cheap looking, but some of it was goddamn beautiful, too.

I really can't wait for more of this and I hope it doesn't stop.

Amen. I think you're one of the few who had an issue with the episode one intro, though. Most love it. (I'm in that boat)

I finally got around to watching this.

Have played Castlevania since the first game. Thought it was excellent, though certainly not what I was expecting. Really happy I watched, and that more are coming.

Maledict

I'm not a longtime castlevania fan, having only played and enjoyed the DS games, and I have yet to find a single anime series I enjoy no matter how much I try.

This was brilliant. I tried it on a whim and ended up binge watching all 4 episodes. It's is clever and well written and surprisingly funny with superb voice acting, and it avoids all the usual anime tropes that drive me batty - little girls, endless exposition, fights that last over multiple episodes, and endless pauses frame shots.

Can't recommend it enough - such a fantastic show and desperately wanting season 2 already.

Alucard

Banned
I'm not a longtime castlevania fan, having only played and enjoyed the DS games, and I have yet to find a single anime series I enjoy no matter how much I try.

This was brilliant. I tried it on a whim and ended up binge watching all 4 episodes. It's is clever and well written and surprisingly funny with superb voice acting, and it avoids all the usual anime tropes that drive me batty - little girls, endless exposition, fights that last over multiple episodes, and endless pauses frame shots.

Can't recommend it enough - such a fantastic show and desperately wanting season 2 already.

Not sure how you didn't think there was a ton of exposition in this show. :p That was a good chunk of it too. Loved it, anyway.

Just got around to watching it. Art is fantastic. It's a truly great brooding, gothic, dark low fantasy. It's fantastically paced and acted. I'm shocked at just how good it is. I need more.

HotHamBoy

Finally watches the show, I had been saving it for October

Halfway through the last episode I remembered there were only 4 and now I'm bummed.

It was all just a set up for the 8 episode Season 2 and I bet that won't hit until 2019 because animation takes a lot longer than live-action.

Some of the dialogue was goofy and the pacing/editing felt off but overall I thought this was one of the best video game adaptations I've ever seen.

I mean, yeah, it's not a good show, but if you are a fan of the series it's pretty damn fun. It looks really good too, even with the limited animation.

The fight between Trevor and
Alucard
was fucking fantastic. Really well choreographed with excellent pose-to-pose animation. Episode 4 was definitely the most entertaining.

Trevor is kind of a lame JRPG cynical hero but his VA is pretty good.

Dracula being established as a sympathetic character was refreshing.

As I said before, the pacing and structure of the show felt off, some scenes were really poorly executed. Trevor's introduction in the bar is way too long and awkward.

In the end, I still enjoyed it in a nerdy way. The one thing that was really missing was some great Castlevania music. The composer didn't even try to capture that sound. Even if they couldn't use the music from the games, why not just get Michiru Yamane to compose some original stuff?

Finally watches the show, I had been saving it for October

Halfway through the last episode I remembered there were only 4 and now I'm bummed.

It was all just a set up for the 8 episode Season 2 and I bet that won't hit until 2019 because animation takes a lot longer than live-action.

Some of the dialogue was goofy and the pacing/editing felt off but overall I thought this was one of the best video game adaptations I've ever seen.

I mean, yeah, it's not a good show, but if you are a fan of the series it's pretty damn fun. It looks really good too, even with the limited animation.

The fight between Trevor and
Alucard
was fucking fantastic. Really well choreographed with excellent pose-to-pose animation. Episode 4 was definitely the most entertaining.

Trevor is kind of a lame JRPG cynical hero but his VA is pretty good.

Dracula being established as a sympathetic character was refreshing.

As I said before, the pacing and structure of the show felt off, some scenes were really poorly executed. Trevor's introduction in the bar is way too long and awkward.

In the end, I still enjoyed it in a nerdy way. The one thing that was really missing was some great Castlevania music. The composer didn't even try to capture that sound. Even if they couldn't use the music from the games, why not just get Michiru Yamane to compose some original stuff?
I could ennumerate various reasons why Trevor is not a JRPG hero. So Ill tell you some:

1) He's a grown and veteran adult. Not a teenager or a kid
2) He swears. A lot.
3) He's not angsty
4) Meets the lead female character and doesnt have any kind of romantic undertones with her whatsoever.
5) He has facial hair!!! It may sound stupid but you'd be hard pressed to find me a JRPG protagonist (emphasis on protagonist. Fellow party memebers dont count as they usually have one grizzled older dude that would usually sport a beard or a scar or both). JRPG protagonists that didnt originate in said JRPG dont count (i.e. Mario in Super Mario RPG) nor do characters that can be created by the user (because c'mon the fuck on).

I'm not saying Trevor is a great protagonist or a super deep and fulfilling character. I'm just saying he's very distant from being a typical JRPG protagonist.

HotHamBoy

I could ennumerate various reasons why Trevor is not a JRPG hero. So Ill tell you some:

1) He's a grown and veteran adult. Not a teenager or a kid
2) He swears. A lot.
3) He's not angsty
4) Meets the lead female character and doesnt have any kind of romantic undertones with her whatsoever.
5) He has facial hair!!! It may sound stupid but you'd be hard pressed to find me a JRPG protagonist (emphasis on protagonist. Fellow party memebers dont count as they usually have one grizzled older dude that would usually sport a beard or a scar or both). JRPG protagonists that didnt originate in said JRPG dont count (i.e. Mario in Super Mario RPG) nor do characters that can be created by the user (because c'mon the fuck on).

I'm not saying Trevor is a great protagonist or a super deep and fulfilling character. I'm just saying he's very distant from being a typical JRPG protagonist.

I immediately thought of Cloud (who was 21).

cloud-nonchalant.jpg

Dude is absolutely angsty. He's a dick to everyone, he's really butthurt about what the people did to the Belmont clan.

Also, Trevor def has romantic undertones with the girl. This is based on Castlevania III and so far it has been pretty faithful to the details. Spoiler:
He marries her

That fact that he swears and has facial hair seems like superficial details for a Western audience.

I actually find the constant swearing to be a real turn off. It's like they want to convince you that cartoons aren't just for kids.

1322_3999_347.PNG

Top Bottom