• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Portrait Ruined for the DS

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
What if each character is on a different screen, and you have to switch between them to make events happen for the other character to proceed? (In a non gimmicky way obviously)

SantaC

jGuru said:
Long hair FTW.

yeah it kinda symbolizes castlevanoa for me, but it's just a personal opinion.

anyway I read that this game is coming out this year, I hope this isn't a rushed effort by Konami.

Snaku

Banned
Roders5 said:
What if each character is on a different screen, and you have to switch between them to make events happen for the other character to proceed? (In a non gimmicky way obviously)

re0cover2hh.jpg

Snaku

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
yeah it kinda symbolizes castlevanoa for me, but it's just a personal opinion.

To each his own, but the Rondo of Blood art is still awesome.

SantaCruZer said:
anyway I read that this game is coming out this year, I hope this isn't a rushed effort by Konami.

They began work on it immediately after DoS was released. Considering that they have about a year and a half to work on it, and most resources in 2D CV games are recycled, I'm sure they have plenty of time.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Is it confirmed to be a Metroidvania? I don't mind that formula, but it is getting kind of stale. I hope Konami makes another 2D CV like 4 with normal levels and branching areas.

PG-Iceman

Press Release is out almost since noon. Thy promisted so send out first screens at 19:00 o'clock and still waiting... I hate empty promises...

Snaku

Banned
Konami should take a hint from stuff like this. People are dying to see pictures of the next 2D CV, even though most people hate the art style of the character portraits. While when a 3D CV is being unveiled, you hear non-stop bitching and moaning about how aweful it looks.

Do you read this Konami, can you take a hint?

Mr. Pointy said:
The player switching system will probably be a ripoff of Viewtiful Joe 2.

You heard it here first.

1. Propose a hypothetical feature for an as-yet unseen game.

2. Decry this nonexistent feature as a ripoff.

wow.

Awesome. So is this going to be another Metroidvania or a more linear, traditional Castlevania game? I remember someone saying that Iga was getting tired of the Metroidvanias...

Snaku

Banned
OB1 said:
I remember someone saying that Iga was getting tired of the Metroidvanias...

He's yet to find another working game formula to steal from that he can replicate properly.

SantaC

this doesn't look like metroidvania actually, though I shouldn't say too much. I really like that egyptian pic

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
huh, i didn't expect the second character to tag along with you -- i thought it'd be like castlevania III. could be cool. i hope that village isn't just an isolated intro segment like the first scene in dawn of sorrow. true outdoor areas would be a great addition.

do the character sprites look a bit worse than soma's, or is it just those shots? probably just the shots.

SantaCruZer said:
this doesn't look like metroidvania actually, though I shouldn't say too much. I really like that egyptian pic

If you know something, you should say it. SAY TOO MUCH. Don't be a miserable little pile of seeecrets.

SantaC

drohne said:
do the character sprites look a bit worse than soma's, or is it just those shots? probably just the shots.

I'd say it's the shots. Looks like they're going to stray away from the castle setting more and more...I Hope.

SantaCruZer said:

don't tease, screens look nice, I would love it if it was actually a more traditional CV, but I suspect it will be a Metroidvania. I'll buy it either way anyway...

drohne said:

It's those thick outlines. The sprites look better than Julius and Yoko, but worse than Soma.

Matlock

Banned
drohne said:
huh, i didn't expect the second character to tag along with you -- i thought it'd be like castlevania III. could be cool. i hope that village isn't just an isolated intro segment like the first scene in dawn of sorrow. true outdoor areas would be a great addition.

The switching sounds like the Castlevania DoS Alucard Mode. You switch characters on the fly for specific situations, and each had advantages and disadvantages over the others.

They look the same to me. DS Metroidvania sprites were all about the animation. :-D

drohne said:

I think it's just the shots. It'll probably look just like Soma's on a DS screen.

SantaC

Matlock said:
The switching sounds like the Castlevania DoS Alucard Mode. You switch characters on the fly for specific situations, and each had advantages and disadvantages over the others.

if there is switching on the fly, why does it look like they're both on the screen fighting?

Snaku

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
if there is switching on the fly, why does it look like they're both on the screen fighting?

Perhaps you can switch to Charlotte to cast a spell, and while that's going on you switch back to Jonathan for physical fighting.

Top Bottom