• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. Just a perfect game from start to finish. But what is everyone's fav Vania here?

VGEsoterica

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood is one of those games who's reputation proceeds it as its legendary in the history of both gaming and Castlevania, but it wasn't always that way. Long ago in the import days there were little hushed rumors getting out that this new Japanese exclusive Castlevania game was "really good" and people had to check it out. The legend just grew from there and I still remember playing Rondo on some VERY JANKY emulator in the early 2000s and just being blown away. Needless to say I bought a PC Engine Duo-R and a copy of the game and both are still sitting in my collection.

Is Rondo as good as people say? You are damn right it is! Sure Konami might be a joke in 2022 but back in the 16 bit Castlevania days they were one of the best developers around and Rondo of Blood showed that. It just takes everything good about Castlevania and dials it up to an 11 while discarding the bits that "didnt work". Throw in some amazing sprite work and art (especially impressive considering the PC Engine was designed to compete with the NES) and one of the best Castlevania soundtracks ever recorded...and you just have IMO the best non-Metroidvania game ever made.

Rondo of Blood really is just THAT good

But GAF...what is your fav Castlevania? I will admit to having a very big soft spot for Castlevania 64...I know...I know

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
The ones on the GBA and NDS are quite good. I’d say that the Genesis one is pretty ok as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Saber

Gold Member
My favorites are the ones from both DS and GBA series.

- Dawn of Sorrow
- Order of Ecclesia
- Aria of Sorrow
- Harmony of Dissonance

Last edited:

intbal

I've only played two of them.
The original Castlevania (NES 1987) and Mirror of Fate HD (Xbox 2013).
Out of the two, I preferred Mirror of Fate.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
The last Castlevania game that I actually enjoyed was Lament of Innocence on PS2 as it was basically Devil May Cry with a Castlevania skin.

The best Castlevania to come out in the last 10 years though wasn't even a Castlevania it was Bloodlines Ritual of the Night 😆

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Favorite Castlevania is Symphony of the Night for me but i also equally love Rondo of Blood and Super Castlevania IV.So that would be my top 3.I also have a soft spot for Simon's Quest...mainly cuz the music in that game is 10/10.I would say it's the best Castlevania OST.Bloody Tears is arguably THE Castlevania series theme.

Tarin02543

Favorite Castlevania is Symphony of the Night for me but i also equally love Rondo of Blood and Super Castlevania IV.So that would be my top 3.I also have a soft spot for Simon's Quest...mainly cuz the music in that game is 10/10.I would say it's the best Castlevania OST.Bloody Tears is arguably THE Castlevania series theme.

Beat SOTN today and started RoB. RoB is more difficult!

Super Castlevania IV. To me it's just perfect - the music, level design, atmosphere, graphics, presentation, bosses, difficulty level.. holy shit, this was a revolution after the NES games. Last but not least, the whip mechanics - just unbelievably satisfying! I can't believe more games haven't copied it.

Last edited:

Georome

castlevania2title.jpg

Not saying it's "the best," but it's my favorite, despite what Angry Video Game Nerd says. The exploration was really fun for me as a kid, and the night/day cycle was innovative at the time. I still remember the feeling of dread when this message appeared:

iu

I loved the addition of RPG elements. To me it felt like a sequel that tried something different, but still had that classic Castlevania feel.

MacReady13

Symphony of the Night is my fav (also 1 of my fav games of all time) but Super Castlevania 4 is a fantastic entry into the franchise. It is an unusually strong franchise though, with most of the 2D games being great entries. I do prefer the metroidvania games though in the series...

NT80

Never played Rondo of Blood fully only the PSP remake. The remake had maybe the best boss in the series in Dracula's secret final form. Apparently that isn't in the original Rondo of Blood which would be a let down.
CV Rebirth on Wii was one of my favourites of the old action platformer style and doesn't get enough credit. CV1 and 4 especially were amazing for their time. SOTN is great in some respects (level design, art, music, secrets) but really lacking in others (challenge, bosses, abilities etc.)

I replayed Dawn of Sorrow and played the Julius mode for the first time. This was also fantastic. Really good challenge and the boss fights were better played this way. I need to play this mode in the other DS games.

bender

What time is it?
SOTN for me. It would also be included in the list of games that are my all time favorites.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The playstation and the 3 gba’s
Bloodstained and uuuh that one ds one

Top Bottom